PDA

View Full Version : GSR 600 review

carver
22nd October 2007, 11:20
A friend let me ride his GSR 600 yesterday and wanted to know my thoughts on it.
i was surprised at the down low torque of the engine-whilst it cant match the punch of my ER6n, it pulls well.
the bike is very easy to handle, as in very neutral to ride.
one big problem is the constant front end noise...how could the designers miss that?
The rumours are true-this bike can be wheelied through the gear box.
I also took it out to 190 kph, on public roads-of course!
Its very easy to control, and very re-assuring, easy round town, and smooth on the open road.
It feels longer at the back than the ER6, and a lot wider, and the seat is uncomfortable.
So it’s a good bike, second hand its cheap, and this bike is affected by chronic devaluation….
i still like it though..i would consider one!

Kendog
22nd October 2007, 11:32
I also took it out to 190 kph, on public roads-of course!

That's a strange thing to say.

I was thinking of this bike before getting the Hornet. Very happy with my choice.

Patar
6th November 2007, 23:54
I always really liked the styling and have read mostly good reviews about it.
I was/am still highly considering it as an upgrade for when i get my full (pending on a test ride of course).

Pwalo
7th November 2007, 06:17
I was lucky enough to have a loaner GSR when my bike was having it's first service. Reminded me of a 4 cylinder Motard. Boy did it like to rev after getting used to the SV.

Pancakes
7th November 2007, 20:12
Thanks for the honest review. How 'bout some pic's with your write-up's so us dumbo's who couldn't pick a DG 620 from a SS 300-R in a lineup can relate the words to bikes on the street?

carver
7th November 2007, 20:32
Thanks for the honest review. How 'bout some pic's with your write-up's so us dumbo's who couldn't pick a DG 620 from a SS 300-R in a lineup can relate the words to bikes on the street?

no worries..some sample pics for ya all

Pancakes
7th November 2007, 21:08
Ah yeah mate, I know these! The front is hot but the 4 pipe ass isn't for me. It did make me look at a few shops until I thought I saw one that was the same but with a hot ass and it turned out to be a 6N. Took them both out but both only round the block and one motorway off ramp to the next but the 6N selt stiffer. SAME! hahahahahah. I saw there is a thou in the same shape as yours too but don't know if I'd ever really want the weight of a thou really. ramble ramble

edit, I know it's lights and two pipes just before I get hassled. Funny cos I love the MV with the rear that this tried to steal.

carver
7th November 2007, 21:16
Ah yeah mate, I know these! The front is hot but the 4 pipe ass isn't for me. It did make me look at a few shops until I thought I saw one that was the same but with a hot ass and it turned out to be a 6N. Took them both out but both only round the block and one motorway off ramp to the next but the 6N selt stiffer. SAME! hahahahahah. I saw there is a thou in the same shape as yours too but don't know if I'd ever really want the weight of a thou really. ramble ramble

edit, I know it's lights and two pipes just before I get hassled. Funny cos I love the MV with the rear that this tried to steal.

a big bonus with the GSR is 100hp and more power.
but the biggest one is the way you can go through the gearbox on the back wheel
the ER6 wont...well, on special occasions i can go from 1st to 2nd, but sometimes it jumps back, but mostly it just wont shift.
the GSR looks cheaper and has a frame that is weak.
i love the 6n's motor, so punchy, and easy around town

tri boy
8th November 2007, 06:20
[QUOTE=carver;1283729] GSR looks cheaper and has a frame that is weak.

I would be very interested to know how you worked out that the frame is weak.

carver
8th November 2007, 20:51
[QUOTE=carver;1283729] GSR looks cheaper and has a frame that is weak.

I would be very interested to know how you worked out that the frame is weak.

seen a pic of one on the net of it sitting on its headers from wheelstands.
the shitty GSXR range have the same problem...

vtec
8th November 2007, 21:00
I've ridden one a couple of years ago. It hauled arse. Was a loaner, got it to 232kph on the waipuna bridge, felt like the wind was going to blow my head off due to the lack of a windscreen. Very cool, would make a kick arse commuter, engine was brilliant, and the suspension geometry made it feel light and flickable.

tri boy
9th November 2007, 06:09
[QUOTE=tri boy;1283962]

seen a pic of one on the net of it sitting on its headers from wheelstands.
the shitty GSXR range have the same problem...

I could abuse a Bulldozer until its frame cracked. That doesn't mean it has a frame fatigue design fault, just would mean that I would be a extremely bad operator.
Be careful when making claims about structual weakness in any form of machinery, unless you have the qualifications, and research results to back it up.
Road going motorcycles are not designed to be wheelie practice bikes for learners. If that is a requirement for such people, they should be riding motorcross,trials, or enduro bikes. This whole street stunting craze is very similar to the boy racer approach to driving.
If people wish to do stoppies, wheelies etc, buy the correct bike. Abusing road going sport and sport touring bikes in this manner will always do damage to frame/suspension components. But I'm sure you understand the whole geometry/metallurgy/science already. Being the skilled ENGINEER that you have already said you are.

James Deuce
9th November 2007, 06:12
If it's the picture I think it is, it's the BIKE long term loaner that got munched by an old lady in a Fiesta.

tri boy
9th November 2007, 06:23
Thanks for the input Jim2. If that is indeed the case, it helps prove that unknowledgeable youngsters need to do their home work before posting comments about subjects that they don't understand. A single picture online doesn't make a design fault.
I did a fair bit of research and checking before I raised my concern with some of Triumphs wheel chroming issues, and fortunately I think I got it right, as they are using different suppliers on the some of the Bonneville range.
Not meaning to sound belittling towards you Carver, but after trainng quite a few apprentices over the years, and hearing constant false statements out of the mouths of babes, I'm attuned to nip it in the bud before they totally screw up.
For what it worth, I like the look of both the ER6, and the GSR. Both very functional road bikes indeed. Wouldn't mind either in my garage.

carver
9th November 2007, 19:55
Thanks for the input Jim2. If that is indeed the case, it helps prove that unknowledgeable youngsters need to do their home work before posting comments about subjects that they don't understand. A single picture online doesn't make a design fault.
I did a fair bit of research and checking before I raised my concern with some of Triumphs wheel chroming issues, and fortunately I think I got it right, as they are using different suppliers on the some of the Bonneville range.
Not meaning to sound belittling towards you Carver, but after trainng quite a few apprentices over the years, and hearing constant false statements out of the mouths of babes, I'm attuned to nip it in the bud before they totally screw up.
For what it worth, I like the look of both the ER6, and the GSR. Both very functional road bikes indeed. Wouldn't mind either in my garage.

[QUOTE=carver;1285374]

I could abuse a Bulldozer until its frame cracked. That doesn't mean it has a frame fatigue design fault, just would mean that I would be a extremely bad operator.
Be careful when making claims about structual weakness in any form of machinery, unless you have the qualifications, and research results to back it up.
Road going motorcycles are not designed to be wheelie practice bikes for learners. If that is a requirement for such people, they should be riding motorcross,trials, or enduro bikes. This whole street stunting craze is very similar to the boy racer approach to driving.
If people wish to do stoppies, wheelies etc, buy the correct bike. Abusing road going sport and sport touring bikes in this manner will always do damage to frame/suspension components. But I'm sure you understand the whole geometry/metallurgy/science already. Being the skilled ENGINEER that you have already said you are.

ah, i see.
the bikes i refer to have been abused by stunters and have quite a reputation for the frame cracking.
whereas something like my old CBR 600 F4i is chosen by stunters because of its tough frame.
i prefer the trellis style frame myself.
as for the geometry/metallurgy/science side of things, i have a basic understanding of suzuki's vacuum forming method that they use on fames, and the complaints by some that the fames are too thin on later model bikes.
i would be reluctant to pull a over 200 wheelies on a GSR an keep it.
and im pretty kind on bikes when i do wheelies. (no clutch, bring it down slow etc....)
but i hear what your saying

Bonez
9th November 2007, 21:02
[QUOTE=tri boy;1285731]

ah, i see.
the bikes i refer to have been abused by stunters and have quite a reputation for the frame cracking.Bad selection by the stunters don't you think. Not a manufacturing issue. If they where designed to be stunted the frames would be sturdier don't you think? And of course Hondas are better. Goes without saying really.

carver
9th November 2007, 21:15
[QUOTE=carver;1287110]Bad selection by the stunters don't you think. Not a manufacturing issue. If they where designed to be stunted the frames would be sturdier don't you think? And of course Hondas are better. Goes without saying really.

yep, honda's and 'zaki's have a good name with stunters

The Pastor
15th November 2007, 11:54
so which is faster gsr or er6?

Pancakes
15th November 2007, 12:00
The one with the biggest balls on the seat.

carver
15th November 2007, 18:50
so which is faster gsr or er6?

the GSR, and their is a fair bit in it.
its better for the faster corners

Sidewinder
17th November 2007, 06:42

well it only has two cans!

Sidewinder
17th November 2007, 06:46
the GSR, and their is a fair bit in it.
its better for the faster corners

yea because we had drag day when we went to sulpher city and the gsr cleaned up. not sayn that carver nearly fliped a wheelie

carver
17th November 2007, 16:02
yea because we had drag day when we went to sulpher city and the gsr cleaned up. not sayn that carver nearly fliped a wheelie

that wheelies-allright!
i have been collecting infractions for abuse of the rep system!