PDA

View Full Version : SV1000S K6 High micron carbon pipes

007XY
22nd October 2007, 14:20
Just thought I'd share my latest mod, I had micron carbon cans on my SV but wanted high mounted pipes.. so I spent a few hours checking out other brands of bikes (hard work man!) and came up with a solution, So here's a few pics of my handy work. Apparently it sounds the same to observers but it's louder and throatier to the rider..Sweeet:headbang:

Supermoto Junkie
22nd October 2007, 14:25
Looks good man, nice work, now it must be time to attack the indicators,

Keep up the good work

TLMAN
22nd October 2007, 15:07
Looks different!!
Why would you want to do that??:confused:
It would have still looked awesome with the microns bolted on in the standard position.

Buster
22nd October 2007, 15:20
That looks cool mate. Would they burn the co pilots legs?

deanohit
22nd October 2007, 15:35
Haha, finally got around to showing it off mate?
Looks great and sounds even better!

Pumba
22nd October 2007, 16:20
mmmmm the carbon sure does look good and I like the high mount as well.

98tls
22nd October 2007, 19:10
Yep nice work indeed.:clap:So howd you do it?

ManDownUnder
23rd October 2007, 08:55
LOL classic mate. Looks good but I'm glad it's no quieter - when you roar off leaving me in your dust at least I can still hear where you are

Grahameeboy
23rd October 2007, 09:02
Shame about the pack rack...........

I must be getting old cause the pipe just don't look right...........ImDying has the best solution being underseat.

But biking is all about personalising.

Colapop
23rd October 2007, 09:10
Looks good! Had you looked at an under tail set of cans? It kinda looks like that's sorta where you're headed with the high mounts...?

tide
23rd October 2007, 09:52
Looks very cool... :Punk: just like you wanted...

D

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:28
That looks cool mate. Would they burn the co pilots legs?

No, the carbon cans don't get that hot.. even after a thrash around the track, I also tried hard to position them out of the way

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:36
Yep nice work indeed.:clap:So howd you do it?

Unbolted and remounted the cans where I wanted them, then dropped the header system off.. cut the end flanges off and bolted them to the cans, cut the header pipes back to just under the foot rests..then fabricated and tig welded 316 stainless pipe/ bends to join headers to cans.

nagaraya
23rd October 2007, 14:42
Was that you passing through waverley ave on some days? If it is then I can honestly say that it does sound sexy:Punk:

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:45
Shame about the pack rack...........

I must be getting old cause the pipe just don't look right...........ImDying has the best solution being underseat.

But biking is all about personalising.

Yeah.. I hear ya .. the pack does'nt do much for looks but man does it get some use! if I'm not carrying tools etc for work*, then it's full of travel stuff..eg;cold kiwi

* I'm a marine engineer and can usally be found lurking at Aucklands Marina's or carving my way to the next job..

Supermoto Junkie
23rd October 2007, 14:49
Who do you work for in town?

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:52
Looks good! Had you looked at an under tail set of cans? It kinda looks like that's sorta where you're headed with the high mounts...?

Yeah I looked at that option but I decided to keep the diving board/rear mudguard cause I've almost always got the rack on, and I like some of the twin pipe Aprillia rear ends .. We'll see what she looks like without the rack at Manfield on Saturday??:woohoo:

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:55
Was that you passing through waverley ave on some days? If it is then I can honestly say that it does sound sexy:Punk:

Guilty as charged.. cheers dude

007XY
23rd October 2007, 14:58
I work for meee..

007XY
23rd October 2007, 15:00
Haha, finally got around to showing it off mate?
Looks great and sounds even better!

Cheers dude, was good to meet up on Sat, hope yer ride home was goood..

007XY
23rd October 2007, 15:04
Looks very cool... :Punk: just like you wanted...

D

Cheers dude, and thanks for your help.. I realise it was hard work drooling over all those bikes:drool:

tide
23rd October 2007, 15:09
:bleh: yeah like I was kicking and screaming... :bleh: hehe

nagaraya
23rd October 2007, 15:10
Guilty as charged.. cheers dude

No problem! My house is down that street and I sometimes look out the window whenever I hear a bike going past (yours has a unique sound from the rest of the IL4's that go past)

Colapop
23rd October 2007, 15:14
We'll see what she looks like without the rack at Manfield on Saturday??:woohoo:
Wide? You'll be scraping the cans not the pegs!! :dodge: Or are you going for the German tail tidy...?

Like this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46357&d=1163760380) or this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46358&d=1163760380)

I was thinking something like the Akrapovic one below? That wouldn't interfere with the rack and such too much... (of course Mumsy would have to give you permission...)

007XY
23rd October 2007, 16:43
Wow thats certainly trimmed the tail!! the akrapovic is a nice unit..

007XY
23rd October 2007, 16:49
Oh ..and happy birthday to you

007XY
23rd October 2007, 17:03
:Oops: Thats a happy Birthday to Tide.. I'll get the hang of this KB thang eventually!!

Colapop
23rd October 2007, 17:05
Wow thats certainly trimmed the tail!! the akrapovic is a nice unit..
Yep and you can get a double as well that'll keep the exhausts separate

Maha
23rd October 2007, 17:09
:Oops: Thats a happy Birthday to Tide.. I'll get the hang of this KB thang eventually!!

Bet those pipes are as loud as 'ahem' someone else i know....:shifty:....BTW she could help ya out with the kb thing...:confused:

deanohit
23rd October 2007, 17:10
Cheers dude, was good to meet up on Sat, hope yer ride home was goood..

Was great, left about 8am, clear roads from Waiuku-Kopu-Whangamata-Waihi-Home. Was an awesome run! :banana:

007XY
23rd October 2007, 17:14
Yep and you can get a double as well that'll keep the exhausts separate

Hmm.. it makes one dream of the possibilities.. but I'm pretty happy with my set up. unfortunately for you 'mumsy' spotted the comment and said something about a hit list ?? must be music or something :blank:

Colapop
23rd October 2007, 17:30
Summat like this...? I'm sure it could be adjusted to fit...

007XX
23rd October 2007, 17:40
(of course Mumsy would have to give you permission...)

:eek5:Say whaaaaaaat??? I got your number mister... (bet you sleep reaaaally deeply when drunk! :devil2:)

Bet those pipes are as loud as 'ahem' someone else i know....:shifty:....BTW she could help ya out with the kb thing...:confused:

I'm not loud, just opinionated! :nya:

And I do like to give him a hand! :innocent: I's just a helpful kind of wifey, ya know ?! :laugh:

tide
23rd October 2007, 17:42

Your welcome... :lol: :bleh:

98tls
23rd October 2007, 17:56
Very nice work indeed,wish you were down this way as i would try and twist your arm to do the same with the TL pipes.Have you had a look at TLZONE.NET great site and they have a forum for SVs etc,quite a few blokes on there with them and some nice mods done.Great bunch of guys from all over the world.tell em mike sent ya.

imdying
23rd October 2007, 18:02
Asked my exhaust mate if he'd do your TL Mike, he said he would, if you go that route.

98tls
23rd October 2007, 18:20
Asked my exhaust mate if he'd do your TL Mike, he said he would, if you go that route. Cheers mate,awsome.i will go that way its just finding the $ with everything else thats going on.:bash:have to stop buying things.

Colapop
23rd October 2007, 18:32
:eek5:Say whaaaaaaat??? I got your number mister... (bet you sleep reaaaally deeply when drunk! :devil2:)

Prey what is this "SLEEP" you spake of? Best you have minders lest ye be caught thine own self...

007XX
23rd October 2007, 21:03
Prey what is this "SLEEP" you spake of? Best you have minders lest ye be caught thine own self...

Pah...I'm a mother! We always sleep with one eye open...

Bring it on Biarch...:bleh:

Phoenix
14th June 2008, 03:37
cant you buy high mounted pipes made for the SV1000 now? Im buying a 2008 model next month and want high mounts, what do they sell for? and whats this "tail tidy" kit, does it take the ugly mudguard off and replace it with something shorter?

dipshit
14th June 2008, 12:28
cant you buy high mounted pipes made for the SV1000 now? Im buying a 2008 model next month and want high mounts, what do they sell for? and whats this "tail tidy" kit, does it take the ugly mudguard off and replace it with something shorter?

I don't think you will be able to run high mounted pipes and a tail tidy at the same time, as they kind of occupy the same space.

This is where i got my tail tidy from...
http://www.northwest.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59&zenid=960h57qhjljt8jlpt8cl13aj72

Doubtful you will be able to get high mounted pipes straight from a retailer for the SV. Possibly a 2 into 1 system, but can't say I have seen a 2 into 2 system. Most of those were handmade one-offs. I could be wrong though.

imdying
14th June 2008, 12:41
Fook, what a rip! At that price it better be magical and pilot the freakin bike for you.

dipshit
14th June 2008, 13:14
Fook, what a rip! At that price it better be magical and pilot the freakin bike for you.

Huh? Do you mean the Evotech tail tidy for $135?

Nicely finished and with a foam covered sealing plate to cover up the gaps left under the tail section where the plastic mud guard is no more.

imdying
14th June 2008, 13:27
Yes, the Evotech at $135.

dipshit
14th June 2008, 13:44
Yes, the Evotech at $135.

What other options are there?

imdying
16th June 2008, 08:09
There's a few templates around for roll your own. Easiest way for lazy people is to take the EPS to a sheet metal shop and have them laser it up and bend it for you. Last one cost me $25, but TBH even that was a little steep considering what it is. First time I made one I made it out of an 4.5mm acrylic, no number plate mount for sexiness, cost me nothing, took less than an hour.

dipshit
16th June 2008, 09:53
The only trouble is I have seen too many otherwise nice bikes ruined by small details like brackets and such with the kiwi DIY in the in shed approach.

imdying
16th June 2008, 10:08
Mmmmm... worse still is that Kiwis are starting to think that a change of muffler and a fender chop a modified bike makes :no:

dipshit
16th June 2008, 10:38
I think of it as finishing off the bike. Tidying up all those little details Suzuki skipped to keep costs down. I prefer to spend my free time out riding around on it. :msn-wink:

Phoenix
10th August 2008, 07:36
I bought an SV1000S 3 weeks ago, out of the box, 3 weeks ago and the registration ticket holder fell out due to the plate cracking from vibration, has anyone else had this? and where do you put your ticket now?

Pussy
10th August 2008, 09:02
I bought an SV1000S 3 weeks ago, out of the box, 3 weeks ago and the registration ticket holder fell out due to the plate cracking from vibration, has anyone else had this? and where do you put your ticket now?
On our bikes, we just use the double sided tape they supply at the rego places, and stick the rego to the swingarm. SV's are known for cracking number plates, when the metal rego holders are bolted to the plate

imdying
11th August 2008, 12:24

Not on the SV, but my ZX6R sure did. I cut out a piece of sheet metal the same size as the plate, and glued it to the plate with RTV before riveting them together for good luck. If I'd have left it much longer, it would've vibrated off the bike entirely!