PDA

View Full Version : V-MAX ,Cruiser or not?

tassle
18th October 2004, 20:36
just wondering what type of bike a v-max fits into, be nice i've got one coming in the mail.

maybe
18th October 2004, 21:13
V Max thought it would be a sports cruiser of sorts, only ever ridden one once, liked it although had no real handling ability...

Blakamin
18th October 2004, 21:56
just wondering what type of bike a v-max fits into, be nice i've got one coming in the mail.
Hope you have a big letter-box!

FROSTY
18th October 2004, 22:06
V max a cruiser --yea right like a zxr750 is a tourer

White trash
19th October 2004, 06:34
Power cruiser I think is the correct term. Same as a V-Rod or Rocket Eleventy One.

Bonez
19th October 2004, 07:02
Muscle bike :devil2:

Jackrat
19th October 2004, 17:33
Muscle bike :devil2:

Finaly somebody got it right.
The Vmax was first made before silly names like sportsbike or cruiser came along.
The factory has always called it a muscle bike.
Coz' it is,that's why :cool2:

claire
19th October 2004, 19:07
Is it here yet? Ah thats right still not Wednesday!!!

Catcha tomorrow

tassle
21st October 2004, 19:29
V max a cruiser --yea right like a zxr750 is a tourer
I would think you would need a top box and panniers, maybe a bigger tv screen to make your zxr750 more tourer like ,but you may have suggestions as to my workmates problem of how to strap a gearbox on the back of his tourer,hes got a zx7rr ,otherwise he got to take the car on the six hour trip up north to deliver the gearbox,thanks for your advice.
ps he won't courier it either.

badlieutenant
21st October 2004, 19:47
Muscle bike :devil2: no other word for it

pipeman
21st October 2004, 20:03
A bigg balllls dragsta mother f%$#ker hope you got arms like a griller if not will have them soon :cool:

Deano
30th October 2004, 16:44
While not a V-Max I once saw a guy take off up the road on a kwaka ZL1000 (i think it was).

He was on the back wheel till 3rd gear, a closer look revealed a black wheelspin line for about the fist 50 or so metres. Awesome dragster.

Jackrat
30th October 2004, 21:24
When I lived in Sydney I helped a mate out who was into drag racing in a big way.Something I noticed is that a few guys had Vmax's as drag bikes.
A little tuning and they kept a lot of big $$$$ bikes honest.
These pic's are from the Vmax owners site.

Motig
1st November 2004, 18:20
Have a look at the 'motorcycle-usa.com'. They've got a test on a new one just added to their website this week. Apparently the V-max is twenty years old and basically unchanged.
:apint: Cheers, Motig

Storm
1st November 2004, 18:37
Muscle bike- looks like a bit of a garunter. Bit of a tree puller I reckon :cool2:

tassle
5th November 2004, 20:46
I FINALLY GOT IT THROUGH MY MAIL BOX,THE V-MAX THAT IS AND ITS GREAT FUN LIKE WHAT I EXPECTED, GOT A KERKER 4-1 SYSTEM MAN I LOVE THAT SOUND ,REPAINTED IT THIS WEEK(BLACK FOR SURE) GHOST FLAMED THE FRONT GUARD, I LOVE MAKING MY NEW BIKE MINE. JUST CANT GET RID OF THAT FOOT WIDE SMILE(MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD)

HanaBelle
6th November 2004, 01:13
I FINALLY GOT IT THROUGH MY MAIL BOX,THE V-MAX THAT IS AND ITS GREAT FUN LIKE WHAT I EXPECTED, GOT A KERKER 4-1 SYSTEM MAN I LOVE THAT SOUND ,REPAINTED IT THIS WEEK(BLACK FOR SURE) GHOST FLAMED THE FRONT GUARD, I LOVE MAKING MY NEW BIKE MINE. JUST CANT GET RID OF THAT FOOT WIDE SMILE(MAN IT SOUNDS GOOD)

I have to hide this thread from the ResidentAngel who agitates regularly between building the house or getting a Vmax. Trouble is, only person I knew personally who died on a bike...died on a vmax. Greg took her down the Awanui straight a bit too fast after a compulsory year not riding at the pleasure of Her Majesty the Queen...I went to his funeral with a good friend...

I feel all supersticious about it...Anything but a Vmax...

Bonez
6th November 2004, 05:39
I FINALLY GOT IT THROUGH MY MAIL BOX The question has to be asked-How the f&*k did the posty get it though the mail box slot!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

ResidentAngel
6th November 2004, 16:26
I have to hide this thread from the ResidentAngel who agitates regularly between building the house or getting a Vmax.

OK ...what can be done to improve the handling of a Vmax, and what can be done to improve the brakes? Can those fancy rim brakes be fitted to a Vmax? The bike isnt any heavier than my VF. so the handling problem isnt the weight! Also, do Vmax's come with varying size of front wheels?

ResidentAngel
6th November 2004, 16:35
V Max thought it would be a sports cruiser of sorts, only ever ridden one once, liked it although had no real handling ability...

I beleive that the correct description is "boulevard bike". That is, designed for dragging at the lights up Queen Street 10pm friday night. The bike was American designed, and fitted with aircraft pistons and exhaust valves. Whether that is any different these days from what goes into a modern bike, I have no idea. I loved riding a Vmax on the motorway, but on a wet winding road (aka Mountain Road, going up to Scenic drive, Auckland) one has to be very careful with the throttle going round corners, cause the back end wants to break away even on no throttle.

tassle
6th November 2004, 16:52
I beleive that the correct description is "boulevard bike". That is, designed for dragging at the lights up Queen Street 10pm friday night. The bike was American designed, and fitted with aircraft pistons and exhaust valves. Whether that is any different these days from what goes into a modern bike, I have no idea. I loved riding a Vmax on the motorway, but on a wet winding road (aka Mountain Road, going up to Scenic drive, Auckland) one has to be very careful with the throttle going round corners, cause the back end wants to break away even on no throttle.

yeh but the smile on the dial is big in a straight line. I actually wanted sort of a cruiser ,but with a little bit of poke in the eye when needed, something that does not corner that well ,helps to keep one slower in the corners, sort of slower overall, you know, just cruising along, used to have a 97 cbr600 it was great fun, but it handles well and you just start riding faster and faster.So even though it does not handle to good it should be what I'm after, I think the reason they turn so slow is in their length ,they turn real slow.

tassle
6th November 2004, 16:54
The question has to be asked-How the f&*k did the posty get it though the mail box slot!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Tough posties up this way

Jackrat
6th November 2004, 17:55
OK ...what can be done to improve the handling of a Vmax, and what can be done to improve the brakes? Can those fancy rim brakes be fitted to a Vmax? The bike isnt any heavier than my VF. so the handling problem isnt the weight! Also, do Vmax's come with varying size of front wheels?

There is a very informative American Vmax site that shows most of the mod's to improve their handling.
They include Fork braces,frame braces,complete rear wheel conversions to a different size wheel,and a heap of other stuff,including how to make them go a lot faster. :blink:
Now is the time to do it,the exchange rate is very good right now.
Do a google on it.Very interesting site!!

Jackrat
6th November 2004, 17:58
yeh but the smile on the dial is big in a straight line. I actually wanted sort of a cruiser ,but with a little bit of poke in the eye when needed, something that does not corner that well ,helps to keep one slower in the corners, sort of slower overall, you know, just cruising along, used to have a 97 cbr600 it was great fun, but it handles well and you just start riding faster and faster.So even though it does not handle to good it should be what I'm after, I think the reason they turn so slow is in their length ,they turn real slow.

They turn slow because of the sixteen inch rear wheel,it can be changed if you have money.Lots of money :laugh:
http://www.vmax.co.uk
www.v-max.com
Check out the Poms, :wacko:

Bonez
6th November 2004, 20:29
They turn slow because of the sixteen inch rear wheel,it can be changed if you have money.Lots of money :laugh:
Had bike with a 16 inch back wheel once and kept falling off the road.
Who says size doesn't matter ;)

ResidentAngel
7th November 2004, 06:22
http://www.vmax.co.uk
www.v-max.com

thanks - some of those articles in streetfighter mag are hard to read, but lots of info, and lots of $.

inlinefour
14th November 2004, 11:03

BUT IT LOOKS NICE... :ride:

ResidentAngel
19th January 2005, 18:18
OK ..so now I want a VMax, and they tell me its gone out of production. Has anyone had experience of importing one from the USA, and if so, what mods are required ot make it legal in NZ?

Also, has anyone had experience of fitting one with either 1294 or 1500cc barrells?

Blakamin
19th January 2005, 19:36
OK ..so now I want a VMax, and they tell me its gone out of production. Has anyone had experience of importing one from the USA, and if so, what mods are required ot make it legal in NZ?

how about this one???

Roadrash
19th January 2005, 19:41
always had a thing for the v-max, don't know why......there is just something abou them. :2thumbsup

ResidentAngel
20th January 2005, 22:38
how about this one???

Oh dear ..that looks like it might go a little quicker than I really want for going to work on .... and ... has it had the front forks worked over? But ... are you really wanting to give it away ? ... nothing looks much like original equipment? Is it rated at 220 bhp ? :whistle:

SPORK
20th January 2005, 23:37
how about this one???
Is that NOS I see? And Iron Cross mirrors?

I like it! Especially the rear end, very nice.

Must. Get. RealBike!

ResidentAngel
20th January 2005, 23:58
Is that NOS I see? And Iron Cross mirrors?

And every other engine and frame mod offered by the performance tuners! My question is whether a bike like that is actually rideable under normal road conditions.

I want to frighten R1's ... not me !