PDA

View Full Version : Wearing in new tyres...fast!

notasothers
22nd October 2007, 18:47
Whats the best way to quickly break in a new set of tyres?

I am getting a new rear tyre (190) next Monday with a track day on Thursday... Will only have time for about half an hour of riding before putting the bike on the trailer.

Short of doing a couple of good burnouts is there an easier (or rather more sensible)way to get the job done?

NinjaBoy
22nd October 2007, 19:14
I'm told brake clean can help take some of the release agent off + half hour of riding should get at least 30kms in. Then take the first few laps of the first session of the trackday easy, progressively leaning over a bit more each corner.

Last VMCC round scrub in was 2 laps.

cowpoos
22nd October 2007, 19:15

I am getting a new rear tyre (190) next Monday with a track day on Thursday... Will only have time for about half an hour of riding before putting the bike on the trailer.

Short of doing a couple of good burnouts is there an easier (or rather more sensible)way to get the job done?
just take it easy for the first few laps on the track...I have scrubed in new slicks in the warm up lap of a race...

cowpoos
22nd October 2007, 19:18
I'm told brake clean can help take some of the release agent off + half hour of riding should get at least 30kms in. Then take the first few laps of the first session of the trackday easy, progressively leaning over a bit more each corner.

Last VMCC round scrub in was 2 laps.
not so sure you advice on the brake cleaner is good advice???

QMOTO
22nd October 2007, 19:21
Best advise I can give you is to give your bike to me for the weekend, I will return it on Monday am with nicely run in tyres

Two Smoker
22nd October 2007, 19:22

Just do a couple laps on the track and it will be fine, You can scrub a set of tyres in on one lap, but it is quite slidey, 2 laps is easy, 3 laps to be safe for a trackday.

QMOTO
22nd October 2007, 19:23
I'm told brake clean can help take some of the release agent off + half hour of riding should get at least 30kms in.

Errr yes you been told bad advise, you dont do this, just ride it the heat build up will sought out any release agents just fine.

cowpoos
22nd October 2007, 19:29
Best advise I can give you is to give your bike to me for the weekend, I will return it on Monday am with nicely run in tyres
is that because you will get me to scrub the tyres in for you old man?

NinjaBoy
22nd October 2007, 19:31
not so sure you advice on the brake cleaner is good advice???

OK my bad. I thought it was rather dodgy when I was told that too.

Max Preload
23rd October 2007, 06:21
A quick wipe of a rag moistened with petrol does the trick.

et al
23rd October 2007, 07:17
Can anyone explain why using Brake Cleaner is not a good idea - does it do any harm to the tyre? Have tried it and it worked a treat - got that waxy feel off a brand new tyre, and gave the rider no issues. I recall seeing a previous post somewhere about a special product available for this - I think it was called something obvious like "Tyre Scrub".

vifferman
23rd October 2007, 08:16
Beats me.
I cleaned my tyre with brake cleaner after discovering it was contaminated with silicon from wheel cleaner. It worked extremely well!
Of course, it totally wrecked the tyre, I crashed, died, the bike exploded into flames, and I died all over again.:confused:

BTW: many tyres now don't have the problem with the "mould release agent" causing them to be slippery. My last set of Avons were fine - turns out they use some non-silicon product now that doesn't have that nasty slipperiness.

Quasievil
23rd October 2007, 08:33
Simple comment here guys n amatures, follow the manuafacturers instructions, if it says clean with brake cleaner (and it wont) do it, if it says soak in the bath for a week with custard powder three frozen fish and a length of chain (and it wont) do it.

this is the sought of crap that gets people involved in stupid practices that can cause people to crash, bunch o wife tale hustlers

:dodge::dodge:

notasothers
28th October 2007, 20:28
Completly destroyed the back tyre today... if i was made of money I would do that every weekend... its soooo much fun. Its actually a good way to learn to control your bike, you get to learn how the bike behaves in a slide and how much power it takes to put it into a slide. only droped it once, and i was stationary at the time even if the back tyre was spinning at 80kmh. hehe