PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

MrMelon
28th July 2003, 08:57
I've taken a couple of 4 stroke 250's for rides in the last week or so, but i've been told not to buy one until I've been for a ride on a 2 stroke 250.

would the additional power of a 2 stroke 250 make it too much of a handful for someone getting a first bike, and have they got no power till about 9k, then all the power from 9-11k?

What's the difference in fuel consumption between a 4 and 2 stroke, and would a 2 stroke be a real pain in the ass to cruise along at 100 or so on? I'd say the majority of my riding to start with would just be commuting.

How often do they need to be rebuilt, and how much would it generally cost? 

I'm taking a ride on a tzr250 tomorrow, so hopefully it'll be all good. :D

SPman
28th July 2003, 10:25
For a first bike the four strokes have a "softer" (ie bugger all below 10K )power delivery that would make them easier to ride, particularly in a commuting situation.

bikerboy
28th July 2003, 18:38
I'm no expert on bikes but I was going to get an Aprilia RS250 (2 stroke 250 engine the same as the rgv250) as a track day bike.

I personally found it very difficult to get used to. There was no real torque under about 9000 revs and no engine braking.

You couldn't roll on and off the throttle to speed up slow down, especially in- town type traffic. Mostly had to stay in first gear screaming along and use the brakes to slow with the throttle wound out otherwise it tended to bog down. Could very well have been just me, but I can't imagine learning to ride on such a bike as beginners tend to be cautious. Slowing down and then speeding up as threats disappear.

The bike seemed to be more suited to motorway or track rides where you fly along fairly constantly at high revs. I think it takes a fair amount of skill to ride one of these well, and my hats off to all who can, I couldn't or at least found it very frustrating since I'm used to the low torque of my 996.

Make sure you take one for a decent ride before buying. :done:

Nouseforaname
28th July 2003, 20:26
My first bike was a 91' TZR.... good little bike at first... but being a poor student at the time i couldnt afford to maintain it as properly as i should have. 2 Strokes need abit more maintanence than the 4 stroke counterparts so thats one of the down sides.... the upside is having the powerband:-), although this spat me off the bike a few times when i was learning to ride. 2 Strokers are damn fun to ride on, just make sure you maintain them properly.... otherwise you will have a motor seize on you going down the motorway like i did :-P

Im not too sure if others would agree or not? but i would think it would be shit loads more essential to check over a 2 stroke with a fine tooth comb more so than a 4 stroke?

Racey Rider
28th July 2003, 21:14
I would think the 4 stroke 250 would be best for a new rider. Unless you do mainly open road rideing.
Cheaper to buy in good condition, cheaper to run, (unless you blow a motor,(shouldn't happen)). More user friendly. Electic start, (Most 2 strokes are kick start). Learners/Commuters power as apposed to "Go fast" orientated power. Looks safer,(Your Mother will like the 4 stroke better!)
I really love riding my 2 strokes, but not through town where it's a chore to keep them to the speed limit,, They just want to Go! Go! Go! all the time.

Redstar
28th July 2003, 21:24
When I was a boy....two strokes were clearly the best performance Suzuki GT250 VS honda CB250 sort of thing but times have changed and with 16 valve multi cylinder 4's the gap has changed and the tables reversed. if you want a long term investment and performance then 2 strokes are not an option anymore. fuel consumption on a 2 stroke is at least 50% more than a 4 unless you ride like my grandma? but there is an attraction with 2 strokes like blue smoke on a frosty morning.
I have had a suzuki 500 GTA two stroke and I must admit that apart from a handling problem it went like hell!

Duke of Rogan
29th July 2003, 11:03
yeah, I'd go for a multi-valve 4-stroke for a first bike, as long as its not smaller than 250cc, then you should get a 2-stroke.
but If you want to learn about rebuilding small engines, then go for 2-stroke...

thats my 1/50th of a buck on the matter :niceone:

MrMelon
29th July 2003, 15:32
Mmkay, I'm thinking a 4 stroke 250 would be the best bet to start with.. if I could find one for around $3k in wellington.....

The only thing down here that I can see in my price range at the moment is a 91 tzr250.

I've been told some pretty conflicting things about the 2 strokes, like that it'll be 1-2 years between engine rebuilds, and that they aren't all that bad to ride below the powerband.

MrMelon
3rd August 2003, 20:05
OMG!

I took the tzr250 for a ride, and holy shit it was fun.. I've got a funny feeling i'll be purchasing it tonight :D

It's exactly like this one here:

http://hayabusa.bikepics.com/yamaha-tzr250-91-bikepics-053328.jpg

SPman
3rd August 2003, 23:36
Aah . the 3XV V twin model....wouldnt mind one myself. I believe this is the lightest of all the 250 streetbikes :D