PDA

View Full Version : indicator fun...

750Y
19th October 2004, 10:54
...so I’m on the motorway and look down to see the indicator light is flashing.
I think “dork” & press the button with my left thumb. I look down a few seconds later to make sure and WTF?? Still flashing. So I thumb the button harder and longer and to my amazement the light continues to flash. I peer over the front to see the right blinker is flashing. I flick the indicator button to the left & start to move to the slow lane where I’ll be able to have a better look. as I move left across the lanes I peer over the left front & sure enough the indicator is flashing. I look back at the left rear indicator which is flashing also, righto! I summise that my indicator switch must be stuffed. I pull off the motorway into the nearest bike shop. I arrive in the workshop door turn the bike off & announce to the mechanic, “Mate I can’t turn the f%$&*ing indicators off”. He saunters over & calmly reaches over to my right switchblock & turns off the hazard lights & says “that’ll be $30 bucks thanks”. Arrrgh! where is a large rock to beat myself with, before i crawl under it.

vifferman
19th October 2004, 11:00
:killingme Hazard lights? :killingme

Wish I had those on my bike.... seeing as it's a moving hazard. :spudwhat:

dhunt
19th October 2004, 11:09
:killingme Hazard lights? :killingme

Wish I had those on my bike.... seeing as it's a moving hazard. :spudwhat:
Yeah what sort of bike has hazard lights???

I remember when I first got my bike I was riding a long and it was getting darker and I thought man it's getting dark so I check my instrument lights yip there on so my front light must be on. Gets darker. Front light Definitely not on now. Couldn't figure it out. The high beam flasher switch worked so I thought I've cooked my electrics somewhere. So rode for about 1/2 hr holding that on and it was flickering on/off over bumps and when I was changing gears.

Next day after fidling round I found the light switch has 3 positions. off, back light on and instruments lights, and everything on. Bike was in the middle position :doh: :stupid:

erik
19th October 2004, 11:09
:laugh: classic!

Is it a new bike or were you just tired or something?

MikeL
19th October 2004, 11:31

R6. Riding behind FF if the hazard lights go on I know to look for gravel, uneven surface or whatever. Beats waving and pointing. Every bike should have them.

StoneChucker
19th October 2004, 11:39
I also have hazard lights, great for saying thanks when someone lets you in...

dhunt
19th October 2004, 11:43
Maybe I just ride older bikes. Where do they put the switch?? It certainly sounds like a great idea.

Devil
19th October 2004, 11:48
...so I’m on the motorway and look down to see the indicator light is flashing.
I think “dork” & press the button with my left thumb. I look down a few seconds later to make sure and WTF?? Still flashing. So I thumb the button harder and longer and to my amazement the light continues to flash. I peer over the front to see the right blinker is flashing. I flick the indicator button to the left & start to move to the slow lane where I’ll be able to have a better look. as I move left across the lanes I peer over the left front & sure enough the indicator is flashing. I look back at the left rear indicator which is flashing also, righto! I summise that my indicator switch must be stuffed. I pull off the motorway into the nearest bike shop. I arrive in the workshop door turn the bike off & announce to the mechanic, “Mate I can’t turn the f%$&*ing indicators off”. He saunters over & calmly reaches over to my right switchblock & turns off the hazard lights & says “that’ll be $30 bucks thanks”. Arrrgh! where is a large rock to beat myself with, before i crawl under it.

I saw an SV1000S with its hazards on this morning while heading down the northern motorway. I was thinking that was an interesting way to lane split. Put your hazards on so you dont have to keep indicating your constant changes ;)

rodgerd
19th October 2004, 12:26

Mine.

(I am, as a road newbie, amazed at the stuff bikes don't have as standard. Like fuel gauges. WTF?)

FROSTY
19th October 2004, 12:29
ROTFLMAO--oh yea big rock time dude.Actually I bought my last bike a bit cheaper because the indicators were stuffed -turn left or right they all came on--gotta love it when that happens and you gain :bleh:

750Y
19th October 2004, 12:38
:laugh: classic!

Is it a new bike or were you just tired or something?

hey there erik,
i wish i had a decent excuse for being a dumbass.. but honestly i never even knew it had hazard lights. never bothered to RTFM.

vifferman
19th October 2004, 12:48
hey there erik,
i wish i had a decent excuse for being a dumbass.. but honestly i never even knew it had hazard lights. never bothered to RTFM.Didn't you wonder what the switch was for? :eek5:

750Y
19th October 2004, 13:22
Didn't you wonder what the switch was for? :eek5:

never noticed it before. mate after 2.5 years of owning a car, i was watching a carshow on tv recently which was showing the latest holden & how it had a tilt/telescopic steering wheel adjustment, hmmm... i thought to myself, i wonder if my car does that.. sure enough, the steering wheel goes in & out too!

F5 Dave
19th October 2004, 15:28
“. . . as Andy followed the pensioner who had been holding up traffic at 70kph for the last 12 kilometres he espied a switch on his RH switchblock simply marked “KILL”

He had often wondered of its function & decided that now was indeed the time to try it out. . . “
:2guns:

vifferman
19th October 2004, 15:30
“. . . as Andy followed the pensioner who had been holding up traffic at 70kph for the last 12 kilometres he espied a switch on his RH switchblock simply marked “KILL”

He had often wondered of its function & decided that now was indeed the time to try it out. . . “
:2guns::killingme
Oh that it really had that function!
But only on vehicles belonging to us 'better than average' drivers/riders, of course! :msn-wink:

Devil
19th October 2004, 15:32

:2guns:
*chuckles* hehe.
:first:

speedpro
19th October 2004, 20:17
They'd never get used in Auckland

Bob
20th October 2004, 00:49
And of course... they would be really useful in marking a hazard!

See a biker go down (and I hope you never do), you NEED, once you ensure you can stop safely, to highlight the hazard to other road users. So point the headlight directly at the accident scene, and put the bike so that the hazards are flashing in the direction of approaching traffic.

Really wish I had them on my bike - hope I'll never need to use them, but they'd be damn handy if I did need to protect an accident victim.

750Y
20th October 2004, 07:38
well i used them this morning when i pulled off the side of the motorway to pull my gloves inside my jacket sleeves in a sudden downpour. all good.

vifferman
20th October 2004, 07:47
well i used them this morning when i pulled off the side of the motorway to pull my gloves inside my jacket sleeves in a sudden downpour. all good... and you remembered to turn them off again, right? :laugh:

Hitcher
20th October 2004, 09:07
A Kawasaki ZRX1200R has hazard lights as too, presumably, do most other Kawasakis that share the same switchgear.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 09:10
I saw an SV1000S with its hazards on this morning while heading down the northern motorway. I was thinking that was an interesting way to lane split. Put your hazards on so you dont have to keep indicating your constant changes ;)

I have observed at least one Auckland traffic cop doing that with his ST1100 through Spaghetti.

Continuously operating hazard lights won't get you off the hook for incorrectly-indicated lane changes as you hop to and fro across the dividing line, though.

750Y
20th October 2004, 10:29
.. and you remembered to turn them off again, right? :laugh:

lol, yep sure did...

Dr Bob
20th October 2004, 13:52
I have observed at least one Auckland traffic cop doing that with his ST1100 through Spaghetti.

Continuously operating hazard lights won't get you off the hook for incorrectly-indicated lane changes as you hop to and fro across the dividing line, though.
However, it seems that courier vehicles are only fitted with hazard lights as opposed to indicators.