PDA

View Full Version : Bugger helmet fogging!

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 16:24
:niceone: Whats the best product to stop helmets fogging up. Name the product and where you can buy it. :msn-wink: Thanks everyone

dhunt
19th October 2004, 16:32
:niceone: Whats the best product to stop helmets fogging up. Name the product and where you can buy it. :msn-wink: Thanks everyone
FogCity's are pretty good. It's an insert into your visor. Pro Guard make one as well. Most bike shops will stock these.

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 17:54
:shit: Will check it out thanks :crazy:

Kendog
19th October 2004, 18:54
FogCity's are pretty good. It's an insert into your visor. Pro Guard make one as well. Most bike shops will stock these.

I put a Fogcity into my helmet. Works damn well :niceone:

But when its really cold I now get condensation on the bottom of the visor

sedge
19th October 2004, 19:21
I use a progrip insert thing, really good, supposed to be light sensitive too, but my visor has UV coating so it doesn't darken much. Only problem I have now is that I wear glasses in my helmet and they fog up when it's really cold... I need some tiny little progrip inserts for them too. Defintely worth the $30 for the helmet insert.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Bandito
19th October 2004, 19:27
yeah progrip light sensative anti-fog insert,best $30 I ever spent.

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 19:29
:first: :ride: Can you cut them down to fit your glass or do they shatter, just an idea. Thanks for your time Chris :crazy:

sedge
19th October 2004, 19:44
The progrips are a one size fits (almost) all, they are flexible thin plastic with a self adhesive stand-off ring around the outside... Hard to describe, you couldn't cut it though, wouldn;t work anymore. The plastic doesn't actually touch the visor, only the 4mm self adhesive bit around the outside. Actually, I'm doing a pretty crap job of explaining, anyone else ?

Sedge.

Skyryder
19th October 2004, 19:50
Just out of curiosity how much does this anti fog stuff cost. A good ol' bottle of hair shampoo with glycerine will do the job.

Skyryder

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 19:51
The progrips are a one size fits (almost) all, they are flexible thin plastic with a self adhesive stand-off ring around the outside... Hard to describe, you couldn't cut it though, wouldn;t work anymore. The plastic doesn't actually touch the visor, only the 4mm self adhesive bit around the outside. Actually, I'm doing a pretty crap job of explaining, anyone else ?

Sedge.
:not: Thanks you have said it well I have got the idea. Take it easy dude catch you later. Thanks :spudwave:

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 19:53
:whistle: $10 to $20 for anti fog that doesn't work will try one of these inserts :niceone:

What?
20th October 2004, 05:15
This subject has been thrashed to death in an earlier thread, but the guts of it is:
If you have a Nolan helmet, get the Nolan Pinlock inserts. They are the best.
Next best would be Fog City inserts - about $30 and permanently attach to the inside of the visor. Use a new, clean and dry visor or there is a real risk it won't stay stuck for long. Clean it with a very soft cloth (sweatshirt material is good) and windowlene or similar.
Third (and cheapest) is the Progrip insert. I have had a couple and admit they do a great anti-fogging job, but scratch easily (compared to Fog City), the light sensitive model lost its light sensitivity in short order and they don't fit alot of helmets. Fog City, on the other hand, make special models for specific applications. The Shoei versions have better adhesive than the rest, so unless you have a brow-vented Arai, go for one of these.
What ever you use, don't put silicone spray or suchlike on it - that will prevent it from doing its job.

RiderInBlack
20th October 2004, 06:06
Next best would be Fog City inserts - about $30 and permanently attach to the inside of the visor. Use a new, clean and dry visor or there is a real risk it won't stay stuck for long. Clean it with a very soft cloth (sweatshirt material is good) and windowlene or similar.
Third (and cheapest) is the Progrip insert. I have had a couple and admit they do a great anti-fogging job, but scratch easily (compared to Fog City), the light sensitive model lost its light sensitivity in short order and they don't fit alot of helmets. Fog City, on the other hand, make special models for specific applications. The Shoei versions have better adhesive than the rest, so unless you have a brow-vented Arai, go for one of these.
What ever you use, don't put silicone spray or suchlike on it - that will prevent it from doing its job.Yep pretty much the advise I got from multi- Grand Challange Riders. Anti-fog wipes worked for a little while but didn't last the Challange. Fogging was a major problem for me during the GC because of the rain and mist. Have brought a new visor for my KBC and am going to insert a Fog City anti-fog on it. I was also advised to aviod the light sensitive version of the Progrip (clear was OK) as they do not go fully clear. This is a problem especially if you are night riding or are riding in poor visibility (which is usually when you need the anti-fog the most).

sedge
20th October 2004, 06:24
Oh yeah... should have mentioned that about the light sensitive ones... Don't get them, can't see crap at night... I've got a clear one, it says light sensitive but doesn't do anything, which is good. I was advised to get the progrip as it was more flexible than the fogcity and as I wear glasses the visor is up and down all the time. Don't know how you'd scratch it though ? perhaps 'What?' has a longer sharper nose than me ? ;)

Sedge.

AMPS
20th October 2004, 07:54
As well as Fog City and Pro Grip, there is the Megashield at $19.95.
Lou

Midnight 82
20th October 2004, 10:09
:done: Good to hear different products that work Thanks everyone :niceone:

What?
21st October 2004, 05:09
...Don't know how you'd scratch it though ? perhaps 'What?' has a longer sharper nose than me ? ;)

Sedge.
Nose problem from telling lies... :innocent:

Cleaning with any cloth will scratch plastics to some degree. I was just warning to use a very soft cloth to clean the inserts. The inner side of sweatshirt (cotton, not polar fleece) cloth fits the bill.

Midnight 82
21st October 2004, 07:52
:banana: Use the cheap buget disinfectant the bluey coloured one at a 50\50 mix use soft tissue best Iv found doesnt seem to do any damage at all :Pokey:

2_SL0
21st October 2004, 18:19
Yep I do find Im suffering the old foggin up. Will def look into the above products. Thanks people. :2thumbsup

w650 fan
20th February 2007, 01:31
Just got an e-mail from the NZ agent for pinlock. They retail for $20:25, there is an agent in Tauraunga. Go to the pinlock website, and you will get the address and phone # for them. The guys at Motorcycle world in Timaru use fog city when racing with no problems, but they stress it is important to put it onto a new visor to get long life out of it. Hope this helps.:beer:

jim.cox
20th February 2007, 08:06

Use a Moto-X helmet :)

Matt
20th February 2007, 08:20
I suffered for ages with fogging (esp before I had my eyes zapped), tried cat crap/anti-fog fluids etc with no luck but a pinlock visor & insert has sorted it 100%!

Matt

unhingedlizard
20th February 2007, 09:00
yeah progrip light sensative anti-fog insert,best $30 I ever spent.

My vote too, I have one in my visor and they are great, only thing is I mounted mine too high and now it doesnt seal as good. My fault not product.