PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressure monitoring systems at cost

Sparkz
24th October 2007, 20:45
We all know how important tyre pressures are on a bike, but all too often we hear riders comments about the bike squirming and discovering extremely low tyre pressures.

We also probably all know how innaccurate the servo pressure gauges are.

My company has been importing and distributing Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) for the passenger car market and we have been desperately trying to find a system that is suitable for bikes. There is only one quality system available for bikes that I know of, and it is not cheap!

So, this got me thinking. The car system we import works exceptionally well and there is no reason it cannot be used on bikes. It will mean that 4 wheel sensors are supplied with the kit (2 spare), and the LCD display shows a car not a bike, but that is a small inconvenience for knowing the exact tyre pressure and temperature of your tyres continuously.

The system also brings up an alarm for low pressure, high pressure and high temperature.

The display is not sealed and will need to be protected from the elements as you would a radar detector.

So, in a nutshell, the sensors are fitted in the wheels and replace the tyre valves. They transmit the pressure and temperature to the LCD display whichs cycles through the tyres and displays the pressure and temp of each. There is a buzzer and red LED warning for fault conditions. The display unit is small enough to discretely sit on any bike dash. The system is not suitable for the track as it is rated at 180km/h. It has been tested beyond 200km/h, but the spec says 180.

Full details at http://www.tyretechnology.com

As bikes are my passion, not business, I am offering this sytem to Kiwibikers at cost, which is $249 + shipping. They currently retail for between $425 and $540 at the tyre dealers.

PM me if you are interested, or feel free to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of such a system on a bike.

WildBoarMouse
25th October 2007, 07:10
How much would the cost to get fitted?

Sparkz
25th October 2007, 07:23
They are really simple to fit and just replace the valve stem. One nut to tighten.

Normal balancing is required.

I expect any bike shop would fit them free if you were replacing tyres, and probably charge a small labour time related fee if you were not.

magicfairy
25th October 2007, 08:41
We just have a foot pump at home, use that to check pressures regularly and add air when needed. I check my pressures once a week or before big rides.
At least that way you use the same guage everytime. Cost about $50 from Repco I think.

Sparkz
25th October 2007, 10:01
This is what we should all be doing.

The TPMS just offers the advantage of not having to check pressures manually as they are continuously displayed.

It also warns the rider/ driver of a sudden or slow deflation due to a puncture during a ride. I have personally had the fun of diving into a corner with a semi-flat due to a puncture. I would much preferred to have known about the situation before the corner.

The system also shows the tyre temperature, and pressure increase due to temperature, which is useful to know.

The Stranger
25th October 2007, 10:21
Does it affect the wheel balance much?

magicfairy
25th October 2007, 10:46
This is what we should all be doing.

The TPMS just offers the advantage of not having to check pressures manually as they are continuously displayed.

I guess my point was that is quite a bit of money to spend, and if you are checking your pressures often, then it is only going to be helpful when you get a slow leak / puncture. Which I suspect isn't as common as having low pressure because you don't bother to check regularly. I am always amazed when riders tell me they haven't checked their air pressures in months :crazy:

So although it sounds like a great idea, I would proabably use any extra $$$ I have on some other bling and keep checking pressures at home.

Now if I rode at high speeds / had a fast sports bike I might reconsider. But I am a nana rider in the first degree.

Toast
25th October 2007, 10:48
It also warns the rider/ driver of a sudden or slow deflation due to a puncture during a ride. I have personally had the fun of diving into a corner with a semi-flat due to a puncture. I would much preferred to have known about the situation before the corner.

Ever can I attest to this!! I'd just fitted a new front tyre at a race meet, pumped it up to 30psi and slapped it on the bike.

Long story short: I braked hard from 5th gear heading in to Higgins at Manfeild, and there was an instability that was never there before. After pulling the bike out of the pool of water and getting it back to the pits I realised that I had about 16psi in the front. Tyre hadn't beaded on properly or something.

So this could be very useful.

Toast
25th October 2007, 10:49
Can you tell us why it isn't rated at above 180? Is it because the wireless transmission doesn't work? Or are the sensors likely to get damaged?

Sparkz
25th October 2007, 10:52
I think it is more that centrigugal force pulls the sensor away from the rim and can let air leak between the sensor seal and the rim.

I know that these have been tested beyond 200km/h with no problems.

Pancakes
25th October 2007, 14:02
The temperature function sounds awesome! I'd hope riders have a good grasp on how pressure affects your handling and I'm sure most think about heat too but have no practical way of monitoring. On race cars I've helped people use a touch free heat sensor gun which isn't super accurate but gives a good idea of variation across the tyre to help adjust camber etc. Looks like a great product.

07fatboy
25th October 2007, 14:34
I'm keen on a set how much postage to west oz...

Sparkz
25th October 2007, 15:00
Hey Noel,

The sensors weigh about 30g, so it usually takes the same amount on the other side of the wheel to balance it out.
Obviously, as soon as it is balanced, the extra 30g makes bugger all difference to a wheel weighing a few kilos.

I will check on shipping to Oz and get back to you.