PDA

View Full Version : Evening Rides

2_SL0
19th October 2004, 19:27
Well as the total newb I take any opportunity I can find to go for a ride. So I potter down the drive and off I go. I live in the country so its all open roads. From a newbs point of view this has a bonus and a downfall. Bonus being in general it is quiet. The downfall, "The preasure you feel from the traffic behind you to go faster" I imagine for most of you this feeling has long gone as you all been riding for a while. The wing mirrors how often does everyone use them?
I cant seem to see a hell of alot out of mine, is that normal? What sort of speeds does everyone start tucking themselves down close to the tank. I havent bothered yet, but then I barely touched 100kmh, lololol. Any way on my loverly journey around the Hunua district I mange to round a sweeping bend to find a cat in the middle of the road. This is not the best thing for a newb to run into. I get round it. About three corners latter I find A BLOODY cow on the road. I start thinking whats next a, the entire Auckland zoo. Well I make my way to the Hunua falls and take a nice breather. Next question I understand the basics of where to sit in my lane. , I.E behind roughly the right hand wheel of the car in front, or in my case the stream of traffic I am leading home safely. When in the really windy roads of NZ wher do you guys sit thru the corners? I tend to move to the inside of the lane. Aprt from my obvious lack of speed I am having a great time pottering along in the country. :spudbooge

Midnight 82
19th October 2004, 19:37
:innocent: Use my mirrors every 30secs or so its not just the oncoming cars you need to worried about. Speed is not the reason I ride its the freedom my friend. Just remeber ride to your ablitie not to the pressure of others you will live longer that way. As for tucking onto your tank not on my bike wrong kind of bike for that. Well cheers nice yaking with you take care out there and be seen :bye:

dveus
19th October 2004, 19:38
I too try to get and about most evenings, and hunua/clevedon is my playground, not uncommon to find the odd animal sitting in the middle of the road, definately makes you learn not to focus on the hazards. As for where on the road do I ride? Out in that region I seem to move around alot depending on the potholes. Im sure some of them are big enough to lose the whole bike in. :wacko:

Mr Skid
19th October 2004, 20:03
It's a bit unfortunate living out in the sticks and trying to learn to ride at comfortable speeds.

If you've got a stream of traffic behind ya, and it's putting you off your game, find somewhere to pull over, or find a straight piece of road where you can wave them past.

I find I'll tuck down a bit to keep the weather/wind off at 100, but people have said that you don't really need to under 200.

Jackrat
19th October 2004, 20:05
Use my mirrors LOTS.
Cats,possums,rabbits,hares, Pukekos,straight over the buggers,don't even feel the bump if you hit em' square.
Cows,dogs,horses,Try to miss them,you will feel the bump.
Never run over Rats,that would be wrong. :msn-wink:
Cheers,

toads
19th October 2004, 20:33
Use my mirrors LOTS.
Cats,possums,rabbits,hares, Pukekos,straight over the buggers,don't even feel the bump if you hit em' square.
Cows,dogs,horses,Try to miss them,you will feel the bump.
Never run over Rats,that would be wrong. :msn-wink:
Cheers,

you would have to be an spca member huh jackrat! lol, yeah it's easy to feel pressured by cars etc behind you, I know I go far slower than people would like me to, but I panic in corners if I feel I'm going to fast, theres an awesome article I read about cornering today, and if I have time I might type it out and post it, but probably not tonight, feeling a bit tired. :pinch:

ching_ching
19th October 2004, 20:33
"Wear sunscreen..."
Always use your mirrors like others have said, glance in them on a regular basis.
"Floss"
Don't be shy to shift over to let other traffic pass by you even though you're on a bike. Don't let the ego get the better of you.
"Do one thing that scares you each day"
Blind corners on public roads will always be a potential hazard. Take your time around them so you don't get surprised by the surprises.
"Live in Auckland but leave before it makes you crazy"
I only tuck down when I can see I'm the only bastard on the road and God is the only spectator.
"Prices will rise, politicians will philander...
Sit about just to the right of the middle of the car in front. The good ole 2 sec distance following rule sure doesn't hurt either.

Follow these rules and you too will have a good chance to enjoy biking for years to come.

"But trust me on the sunscreen"

ching ching :spudbooge

dhunt
19th October 2004, 21:48
Well as the total newb I take any opportunity I can find to go for a ride. So I potter down the drive and off I go. I live in the country so its all open roads. From a newbs point of view this has a bonus and a downfall. Bonus being in general it is quiet. The downfall, "The preasure you feel from the traffic behind you to go faster" I imagine for most of you this feeling has long gone as you all been riding for a while. The wing mirrors how often does everyone use them?
I cant seem to see a hell of alot out of mine, is that normal? What sort of speeds does everyone start tucking themselves down close to the tank. I havent bothered yet, but then I barely touched 100kmh, lololol.
Use your mirrors quite a bit. I don't really use mine too much on my current bike as I can't see much out of them but it is quite a good idea too get use to it so you don't get suprised when something suddenly comes flying past you etc. I normally tuck myself down if it's raining or windy or I'm just plain cold. Other than that I'm sure you really need to at legal speed limits or if your bike is a bit gutless it would help as well to increase your topspeed.

Most importantly don't give into pressure to ride faster than you are capable of as that's when you are more likely to bin it. Start slow and when you are comfertable at slow speeds then start speeding up.