PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - Wire Rope Barrier "Cheesecutter" ride.

Colapop
25th October 2007, 14:38
When: Sunday 11th November
Where: TSS, Cuba St, Alicetown, Lower Hutt & The carpark outside The Sandbar, Plimmerton.
Departs 10:30am from each location

This ride will depart from two locations to allow as many people as possible to attend. It is intended that the riders then proceed to Parliament buildings as an orderly group ride. This ride will be marshalled (if I can get some volunteers). I have spoken to most of the bike shops in the Wellington region who have said they will all help advertise this ride as much as possible.

More details will be advised as soon as they are sorted. Volunteers to help marshal and advertise etc are greatly appreciated.

Register here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1431&day=2007-11-11) if you wish

Nasty
25th October 2007, 15:12
You are on ... anything you need from this end let me know.

Clivoris
25th October 2007, 15:16
I'm happy to marshall Pop. I used to watch "Gunsmoke" with my grandpa. I know all about marshalling.

sels1
25th October 2007, 15:23
Sounds like a plan.
Um...there prolly wont be any Pollies there on a Sunday - perhaps we could find out where the Min. of Transport lives and ride past his place on the way.
Or contact someone in the Opposition who wants a photo opportunity...?

illusivemenace
25th October 2007, 15:56
im there and have a few mates that will be keen anyone else from up these ways be heading down ? wanna maybe all meet in sanson or somwhere and head down as a group

Kendog
25th October 2007, 16:03
I will be there.

Thanks for stepping up to sort this Col :yeah:

quallman1234
25th October 2007, 18:51
Hopefully ill have a new bike by then.

If not i can marshal (Gotta teach me first :confused:)

Thanks Col good work :niceone:

sunhuntin
25th October 2007, 18:53
will be there at this stage. *digs out maps to find where to go*

Grinner
25th October 2007, 19:02
Thanks for organising.
I will be there rain or shine.

Meanie
25th October 2007, 20:05
Ill be just back from Auckland but ill be there
I feel very strongly about these death traps they call barriers

325rocket
25th October 2007, 20:09
will be there and can supply RT's (walkie talkies) if it will help

banditrider
25th October 2007, 20:43
Ill be just back from Auckland but ill be there
I feel very strongly about these death traps they call barriers

Might follow you down.

Meanie
25th October 2007, 20:47
Might follow you down.

Sweet More that turn up to this the better chance someone may listen

Meanie
25th October 2007, 21:05
Oh crap Double booked we got Dogs ride to Gisbourne this week end so wont be able to make this one Make some noise for me will ya

car
25th October 2007, 21:29
More details will be advised as soon as they are sorted. Volunteers to help marshal and advertise etc are greatly appreciated.

One and a half thumbs up from me, Col -- thanks for volunteering. I'll repeat my offer of floor and garage space for anyone travelling far enough that riding here and back in one day is a pain in the arse.

Lissa
25th October 2007, 21:37
Will try to make it. Cheers Col!

Kinje
26th October 2007, 07:57
I'll be there. Cheers for stepping up Col

Dodger
26th October 2007, 09:33
I'll be there, along with a mate as Pillion.

koba
26th October 2007, 09:38
Should be there, cher cole.

Will try and get a few mates along. :scooter:

Just to be a poo though I must ask, what is the exact issue we are raising?

Wire ropes should be banned?
Reviewed?
Modified?
Rules set for their placement?
etc...

Excuse me if this is discussed elswhere but Im pressed for reading time at the mo. I am keen on coming anyway just thought it may help to have a clear unified :shit: message...

Ok disregard that!
I'm posting it anyway coz I like this train of thought. I've just realized we should fuck specific nitty gritty shit and all get together and that will be sending one clear unified message anyway:

WE ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THESE BARRIERS!

Im in a real rambling mood today...

NZsarge
26th October 2007, 09:42
I will be there.

Thanks for stepping up to sort this Col :yeah:

Yeah ditto to that comment, i'll see what the crystal ball says but i'd certainly like to attend.

Hailwood
26th October 2007, 14:47
I'll be there as well...have also sent an email to the webmaster for the Wellington Hog chapter asking him to circulate the details to all chapter members..hope that helps too...see you on 11th.

unhingedlizard
26th October 2007, 15:42
Just a thought. This ride would likely make a lot more noise if it was organized for a week day when it would be more of an impact than just a load of bikers riding through the capital on a sunny saturday. I realise most people work the week but it really depends if it is important enough to you to get a day off work.

yungatart
26th October 2007, 15:44
We are thinking about joining the Welly protest ride, but count me out if it is a weekday.
It doesn't matter how important it is to me, there is no way I will be able to get time off for a weekday ride

judecatmad
26th October 2007, 15:48
Can't be there for obvious reasons, but PM sent and bling awarded :D

Hope it goes well and the efforts across the country get the message to the right place and some action taken.

unhingedlizard
26th October 2007, 22:57
yungatart - Obviously not important enough to you then. I have left jobs before that havent given me time off for important things. The only way protest marches/rides make the slightest bit of difference is if you make a scene, make some noise. Protesters in the 60-70's were quite happy to be arrested when they felt an injustice. Now its a load of people standing around breathing hot air and getting themselves worked up for an afternoon, after which by the time the last tent has been packed and moved on the media, goverment and the populace have shifted to the next gross indegnation that the NZ people suffer.

yungatart
27th October 2007, 08:54
yungatart - Obviously not important enough to you then. .

BULLSHIT!

You have no idea about me, my lifestyle or anything else about me.
Who the hell do you think you are to sit and pass judgement on me!!

James Deuce
27th October 2007, 09:06
This can be the first round.

The second round and obvious date is November the 7th. Ride your bike to work and then have a protest run at lunchtime.

Wasp27
27th October 2007, 12:08
Good on ya Col....we'll both be down, see ya then. cheers W & D

Nasty
27th October 2007, 14:20
BULLSHIT!

You have no idea about me, my lifestyle or anything else about me.
Who the hell do you think you are to sit and pass judgement on me!!

Hey Tart ... reading what unhinged wrote he owns his name ... but at the same time should note that a 25 year old junior should live a little before taking on someone who has lived a little more. Sounds like a university trained airhead .. who has a lot of reading and no sense yet.

I also am unable to take time off work .. and not cos they won't .. but cos I got no bloody leave to take!

davereid
28th October 2007, 16:38
I'll be there, and I'd be very pleased to meet, and ride with any KBers coming through from further North than Levin. Maybe meet up in Levin for Palmy/Wangavegas/ other riders a bit earlier ?

illusivemenace
28th October 2007, 19:54
I'll be there, and I'd be very pleased to meet, and ride with any KBers coming through from further North than Levin. Maybe meet up in Levin for Palmy/Wangavegas/ other riders a bit earlier ?

sounds like a plan:niceone:

unhingedlizard
29th October 2007, 08:52
Hey Tart ... reading what unhinged wrote he owns his name ... but at the same time should note that a 25 year old junior should live a little before taking on someone who has lived a little more. Sounds like a university trained airhead .. who has a lot of reading and no sense yet.

I also am unable to take time off work .. and not cos they won't .. but cos I got no bloody leave to take!

Really. You know my life story too do you? Or do you believe that age = experience = wisdom. Never been to universaty. have however been all round the world, have had more types of jobs that you could count and am entitled to an opinon.

Nasty
29th October 2007, 09:15
Really. You know my life story too do you? Or do you believe that age = experience = wisdom. Never been to universaty. have however been all round the world, have had more types of jobs that you could count and am entitled to an opinon.

Make it an opinion then and not a fact of life.

MSTRS
29th October 2007, 10:16
.... am entitled to an opinon.

Yes you are. With 'maturity' comes the wisdom as to whether you should post that opinion....

Luckylegs
29th October 2007, 11:01
Yes you are. With 'maturity' comes the wisdom as to whether you should post that opinion....

Not always though... Ive seen plenty of your posts :girlfight:

But, serioulsy... Im not making any judgement or suggesting that anyone must take time off, or that anyone finds this any less important than anyone else, but it does raise a valid point...

Is this issue as important for ALL of us as some are suggesting. I am only asking on the basis that this determines the success of the campaign and in particular the upcoming rides.

I mean, I assume that if this was a protest against "Bikes being Banned" this may make some difference to people availability. The other aspect I guess is that people can contribute in a myriad of different ways and I am sure there are plenty of people who do a lot of stuff in the background, both for the site, for the bike community and at other events etc etc.

...Sorry, not sure where all that came from, but as the cliche goes... Just my 2c worth

Str8 Jacket
29th October 2007, 11:08
I cant make it if it is a weekday either. Not because I dont feel strongly about it but because I have to work. I need to work to live.

MSTRS
29th October 2007, 11:38
Not always though... Ive seen plenty of your posts :girlfight:

Yea yea whatever :Pokey::bleh:
The rest of your post made good points....Unfortunately circumstance & $ can get in the way of principles. Doing the protest ride(s) is but one way of registering opposition to these filthy things

diddie17
29th October 2007, 20:14
I'm in.

I didn't see anything about finish time though and I have to get back home for 12:30 to watch the kids as the Mrs is going out. Should give me plenty of time though.

What is the plan when we get there? Just to make a general nuisance of ourselves?

chanceyy
29th October 2007, 20:23
Sorry col I would have loved to come on this ride .. but already committed to the Gisborne trek

sprag
30th October 2007, 07:53
I found this in the paper this morning

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4254729a11.html

Twosup
30th October 2007, 11:05
Great idea looking forward to the event, if doctors give me clearance. Yes count me in if not Im still going. Steve K

Lissa
30th October 2007, 13:37
I'm moving to my new house next week, and need to get the kids sorted in their lodgings at the weekend so I cant make it. Sorry :(

Hawkeye
30th October 2007, 17:26
I'm away with the family for the weekend but If I can get away early I'll try and make it.

Colapop
30th October 2007, 17:29
I need help to get a press release drafted! Can anyone spare some words?

The fliers for the Welly ride are attached. I have contacted TV3 and the Dom-Post who would both like words...

I have just started a new job so my time is pretty limited...

Please and Thank-you

Col

sunhuntin
30th October 2007, 20:58
I need help to get a press release drafted! Can anyone spare some words?

The fliers for the Welly ride are attached. I have contacted TV3 and the Dom-Post who would both like words...

I have just started a new job so my time is pretty limited...

Please and Thank-you

Col

flier? cant see one, coley.

if my shifts hadnt changed, i wouldnt be able to make it either. work can be a bitch, but its not optional sometimes.

dave, where were you thinking of meeting? ill be coming down from wangas, and would like to tag with someone who knows where they are going. lol. i can find my way to te papa, but thats about it.

Jonty
31st October 2007, 09:10
Hopefully I can make a Sunday ride - count me in

MSTRS
31st October 2007, 15:54
It seems that there will be a Hawkes Bay contingent....but we will probably not arrive altogether.

davereid
31st October 2007, 17:10
dave, where were you thinking of meeting? ill be coming down from wangas, and would like to tag with someone who knows where they are going. lol. i can find my way to te papa, but thats about it.

Hi all.. I'll be at Mobil Levin, which is the first gas station on the left as you come in from the north, at 9am, leavingabout 9.15 It leaves us an hour and a quarter to get to the Paremata meeting place. Its about 85km to Paremata, but lots of its 80 km/hr limit or lower, plus its Otaki Market day, and the roundabout snarls up with elderly drivers, so with a bit of luck we will be a bit early.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting some of the KBers that I have patted/laughed at/booted or been booted by over the years !

Txt me if you are gonna be late, we'll wait. Foot taps.. taps ..taps.. !

Dave 021 176 3633

KoroJ
31st October 2007, 19:11
I'm all in favour of a protest and an effort to get these things modified.....But.....what is this ride going to achieve apart from a few warm fuzzies for the riders that participate, in the thought that they have taken action.

I could understand riding on Parliament with a petition to present, but to ride there when it's closed...?? Also how will people know what we are riding for...they might think it's a toy run etc.

If we want to cause a stir and get noticed....why don't we pick a very busy, WRB lined stretch of highway...ie Centenial Highway....set up camp at each end with banners to advise the public of the reason for any inconvenience caused, (and for coffee stops)...and set up a continual flow / loop of slow moving bikes, in each direction that will cause traffic delays and get the medias attention. The speed limit through there is 70 & 80 kph...but remember...the signs tell us "It's not a target" so a continuous stream of bikes doing 30 - 40 kph will soon cause unwelcome delays but would not be doing anything illegal.

Colapop could talk to the media, as long as he promises not to hug them, and I'm sure the time will be well spent and get the message out there, that these abominations are not desireable for bikers!!

If we are going to protest....make it count!!

sunhuntin
31st October 2007, 19:12
Hi all.. I'll be at Mobil Levin, which is the first gas station on the left as you come in from the north, at 9am, leavingabout 9.15 It leaves us an hour and a quarter to get to the Paremata meeting place. Its about 85km to Paremata, but lots of its 80 km/hr limit or lower, plus its Otaki Market day, and the roundabout snarls up with elderly drivers, so with a bit of luck we will be a bit early.

I'm very much looking forward to meeting some of the KBers that I have patted/laughed at/booted or been booted by over the years !

Dave 021 176 3633

kk. i will be there! will leave here about 7.30, thatll give me enough time to get there with plenty to spare so i can top up the tank [shouldnt need to, but you never know, lol]

im happy to pootle along at the back, so long as someone waits at a turn off i may miss [will be ok until a wellington turn off if there is one]

Hawkeye
31st October 2007, 20:01

Dave 021 176 3633

So what time do you expect to flow through Wiakanae (sp?)
I'll be with the family but should be able to organise getting away.

Meanie
31st October 2007, 22:05
I'm all in favour of a protest and an effort to get these things modified.....But.....what is this ride going to achieve apart from a few warm fuzzies for the riders that participate, in the thought that they have taken action.

I could understand riding on Parliament with a petition to present, but to ride there when it's closed...?? Also how will people know what we are riding for...they might think it's a toy run etc.

If we want to cause a stir and get noticed....why don't we pick a very busy, WRB lined stretch of highway...ie Centenial Highway....set up camp at each end with banners to advise the public of the reason for any inconvenience caused, (and for coffee stops)...and set up a continual flow / loop of slow moving bikes, in each direction that will cause traffic delays and get the medias attention. The speed limit through there is 70 & 80 kph...but remember...the signs tell us "It's not a target" so a continuous stream of bikes doing 30 - 40 kph will soon cause unwelcome delays but would not be doing anything illegal.

Colapop could talk to the media, as long as he promises not to hug them, and I'm sure the time will be well spent and get the message out there, that these abominations are not desireable for bikers!!

If we are going to protest....make it count!!

I like the way you think Koro..... and i think you are on the right track.
Look at the attention the farmers got when they drove thier tractors to parliament Make a point but make it bloody loud

chanceyy
31st October 2007, 22:08
I like the way you think Koro..... and i think you are on the right track.
Look at the attention the farmers got when they drove thier tractors to parliament Make a point but make it bloody loud

agree with you meanie, awesome idea koroj .. really like it ..

pity I will be on the gissy ride would have been so up for this kinda protest .. must admit when I rode past the wire barriers last weekend was very conscious they were there

Luckylegs
31st October 2007, 22:08
...Look at the attention the farmers got when they drove thier tractors to parliament Make a point but make it bloody loud

Tractors ?... Sorted, cruisers ARE invited :whistle:

Kendog
1st November 2007, 05:11
The problem with alternate suggestions for protest rides, is the suggesters are not organising them.

Cols organising a ride on Sunday, by no means does this need to be the only protest ride.

Meanie
1st November 2007, 07:08
The problem with alternate suggestions for protest rides, is the suggesters are not organising them.

Cols organising a ride on Sunday, by no means does this need to be the only protest ride.

Yep your right, one aint gonna do it We will have to keep the pressure on for a very long time to make any changes

car
1st November 2007, 07:14
set up a continual flow / loop of slow moving bikes, in each direction that will cause traffic delays and get the medias attention. The speed limit through there is 70 & 80 kph...but remember...the signs tell us "It's not a target" so a continuous stream of bikes doing 30 - 40 kph will soon cause unwelcome delays but would not be doing anything illegal.

Oh, I'm sure that the police could find some sort of public nuisance charge to stick you with.

Do you think shouting loudest is going to be productive? Have you seen them talking over on the TradeMe forums? At best, these people are unaware of you, most likely they're simply ambivalent, but at worst they actively hate you. You think you're going to change their minds by pissing them off?

car
1st November 2007, 07:16

Indeed. I hope everyone with an alternative idea is at least handing out a few fliers and planning to attend Col's ride.

davereid
1st November 2007, 07:54
So what time do you expect to flow through Wiakanae (sp?)
I'll be with the family but should be able to organise getting away.

About 9.45 I would think. We could meet you at the gas station if you want.

sunhuntin
1st November 2007, 07:56

i can do either sunday or monday, but the rest are out due to work... and right now, there aint no way i can swap shifts, everything is as tightly stretched as it will go with staff.

Colapop
1st November 2007, 18:30
Yes, I have put up my hand to get things underway with this ride. I see it as a campaign ride rather than a protest ride. I have no experience in organising any sort of ride before and doing only what I think is right. This may be by no means the right thing but as I haven't done anything like this before - it's me thinking of stuff... I like the idea of actual SAFE roadside protests around the area of "cheesecutters" as they would bring attention at the location of them.

This campaign is by no means going to be about one ride. It is foolish to think that all will be solved by a show of solidarity. But it's a start and we need to start somewhere.

Meanie
1st November 2007, 20:01
Yes, I have put up my hand to get things underway with this ride. I see it as a campaign ride rather than a protest ride. I have no experience in organising any sort of ride before and doing only what I think is right. This may be by no means the right thing but as I haven't done anything like this before - it's me thinking of stuff... I like the idea of actual SAFE roadside protests around the area of "cheesecutters" as they would bring attention at the location of them.

This campaign is by no means going to be about one ride. It is foolish to think that all will be solved by a show of solidarity. But it's a start and we need to start somewhere.

Comendations for organising this ride Col someone had to organise it and i believe you have done well
Anyone not happy with it can always organise thier own but i believe everyone is behind this

Hawkeye
1st November 2007, 20:47
About 9.45 I would think. We could meet you at the gas station if you want.

Sweet. Don't hang around for me. If I can make it, I'll be waiting for you coming through and just join on. If I miss you no probs. I know where the meet is at Mana so will just catch up there.

_Macka_
1st November 2007, 23:09
Yeah im deffinitly in

Renegade
1st November 2007, 23:18
dam my stinkn job, i always get left out :(

Colapop
2nd November 2007, 18:15
I have a request. Can anyone help marshal this event? I will need (estimate) 6 marshal's - 2 each for TSS & Sandbar and 2 for parliament, to marshal riders to park in an orderly manner.

Hopefully we will have someone to speak at Parliament... What about a megaphone or something - where do you get one of those? Anything else that needs sorting? Please don't hesitate to sing out - it does not mean that you will be roped into doing anything.

Please DO sing out if you can and are willing to help.

Ozzie
3rd November 2007, 14:42
Auckland ride went well, made some signs up, see pic here....http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59489

Do you southerners want to use them?

If yes, PM me an address and I will courier them on Monday.

chanceyy
3rd November 2007, 17:40
since my bike is hundreds of bits at mo ..& it appears gissy trip has gone by the way side.. anyone going to welly have a spare pillion seat from shannon/levin area ??

if so can you please PM me .. cheers

sunhuntin
3rd November 2007, 17:58
id like to help, chanceyy... but the 250 struggles enough solo... 2 up shed be dead, lol.

chanceyy
3rd November 2007, 18:03
id like to help, chanceyy... but the 250 struggles enough solo... 2 up shed be dead, lol.

No probs sunhuntin just throwing it out there in case someone has a spare one ..

but thanks anyways :D :niceone::msn-wink:

325rocket
3rd November 2007, 18:53
I have a request. Can anyone help marshal this event? I will need (estimate) 6 marshal's - 2 each for TSS & Sandbar and 2 for parliament, to marshal riders to park in an orderly manner.

im up for it. just let me know what you need done and how to do it.

Colapop
4th November 2007, 09:07
Hey that'd be cool!

The marshal's need to ensure that when people arrive at the meeting points, they are directed to park. 5 - 10 minutes before departure marshal's give a general warning. Then the lead rider/s get into place. Once the final riders have departed the marshals become Tail End Charlie.

The marshal's for the meeting point only need to direct people where to park - in as orderly a manner as possible.

Clivorus has volunteered for Plimmerton - need another at least

325Rocket for TSS - need another at least

Still need people for Parliament

davereid
4th November 2007, 09:10
Whats wrong wiv your bike chancey ? Can we get stuck in and get it going for ya ?

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 09:15
Whats wrong wiv your bike chancey ? Can we get stuck in and get it going for ya ?

replacing power valve seals, sounds like it needs new rings & pistons too .. the head mechanic has broken collarbone had surgery yesterday back on wed .. but from my understanding will not be able to source parts locally .. be a japland order ..

Ocean1
4th November 2007, 09:40
replacing power valve seals, sounds like it needs new rings & pistons too .. the head mechanic has broken collarbone had surgery yesterday back on wed .. but from my understanding will not be able to source parts locally .. be a japland order ..

Ow, major huh? Still, she'll be good as new then. :niceone:

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 09:42
Ow, major huh? Still, she'll be good as new then. :niceone:

yeah sounds like it .. problem is I was going on the gissy ride this weekend & it was promised back to me before next fri .. so blardy gutted to find this is not going to be the case

sighs still deep breathing bout it all ...

Ocean1
4th November 2007, 09:49
yeah sounds like it .. problem is I was going on the gissy ride this weekend & it was promised back to me before next fri .. so blardy gutted to find this is not going to be the case

sighs still deep breathing bout it all ...

:laugh: Breath in... breath out...

It's not that big a job, couple of hours. Have you tries calling around the country for pistons/rings? May even be an equivalent for another model…

Colapop
4th November 2007, 09:51
So Sandy - you'll be helping marshal?

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 09:53
:laugh: Breath in... breath out...

It's not that big a job, couple of hours. Have you tries calling around the country for pistons/rings? May even be an equivalent for another model…

:buggerd: the reason I take it to a mechanic is i have absolutely no idea about motors, bits, or sourcing them or other such useful information (think that comes with being a girly).. & since Betsy is a 24 yr old slapper generally have to get stuff from japan or aussie

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 09:56
So Sandy - you'll be helping marshal?

if i can get there Col .. no probs, was hanging back to see if i can get a seat down there ..

ohhh just a thought .. after seeing the discussion on yesterdays ride .. how about adding to the rules that if anyone is sighted stunting or breaking rules/rode codes they run the risk of their details being passed to the police ?

Ocean1
4th November 2007, 09:59
:buggerd: the reason I take it to a mechanic is i have absolutely no idea about motors, bits, or sourcing them or other such useful information (think that comes with being a girly).. & since Betsy is a 24 yr old slapper generally have to get stuff from japan or aussie

*restrains self*...

So post a question in the *WTB: Betsy pistons* section of KB, someone will at least know if there's alternative supplies.

ohhh just a thought .. after seeing the discussion on yesterdays ride .. how about adding to the rules that if anyone is sighted stunting or breaking rules/rode codes they run the risk of their details being passed to the police ?

Good idea. Perfect Marshal material.:Police:

MotoGirl
4th November 2007, 10:04
It appears I have sunstroke after attending the protest ride in Auckland yesterday. Since I feel like crap now, I thought I'd remind everyone going to the Wellington protest to take a hat, sunnies and sunblock!

I spent several hours standing around in the sun yesterday and baking in my leathers.

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 10:10
It appears I have sunstroke after attending the protest ride in Auckland yesterday. Since I feel like crap now, I thought I'd remind everyone going to the Wellington protest to take a hat, sunnies and sunblock!

I spent several hours standing around in the sun yesterday and baking in my leathers.

ouch girl hope ya ok .. hmm better add water to the list then

yungatart
4th November 2007, 10:19
Col, approach Jeff's school for the loan of a megaphone, they usually have them for athletics day etc.

Colapop
4th November 2007, 10:53
Good thinking that girl! I can contact the sports dept.

NZsarge
4th November 2007, 11:21

Very good point, often overlooked until it's too late.

sunhuntin
4th November 2007, 14:43
if i can get there Col .. no probs, was hanging back to see if i can get a seat down there ..

thats a damn good idea, that!

chanceyy... im trying to knock together a plan... what license are you on? thinking, thinking... would hate to see you not be able to come. would the bike shop loan you a bike?

yungatart
4th November 2007, 15:01
OK! Got a length of material and have figured out a way to attach it to the bike....what are we going to put on it as a protest message?

yungatart
4th November 2007, 18:58
Hey good people of (close to) Welly.
We are coming down on Saturday to ride in protest. We need beds for the night please (Mstrs, me and hXc). I'm too old to be sleeping on the floor anymore so if some kind folks can put us up we'd be grateful.
We're all sorta housetrained..and so are our bikes.
Thanks in anticipation.....

Clivoris
4th November 2007, 19:04
Hey good people of (close to) Welly.
We are coming down on Saturday to ride in protest. We need beds for the night please (Mstrs, me and hXc). I'm too old to be sleeping on the floor anymore so if some kind folks can put us up we'd be grateful.
We're all sorta housetrained..and so are our bikes.
Thanks in anticipation.....

More than welcome at Casa Clivoris. We have fold out couch and spare bed in my sons room. You can keep working on getting my wife to buy me another race bike.

yungatart
4th November 2007, 19:06
More than welcome at Casa Clivoris. We have fold out couch and spare bed in my sons room. You can keep working on getting my wife to buy me another race bike.

Oh, you darling, thanks. Where the hell are ya??
Pm or txt your details to me.

chanceyy
4th November 2007, 20:05
thats a damn good idea, that!

chanceyy... im trying to knock together a plan... what license are you on? thinking, thinking... would hate to see you not be able to come. would the bike shop loan you a bike?

my bike is not at a shop just garage with bike mechanic .. but it appears we may be sorted ..:niceone: thanks to Nasty & Grub (awesome guys thanks) will confirm closer to the weekend for sure :yes:

sunhuntin
4th November 2007, 20:20
my bike is not at a shop just garage with bike mechanic .. but it appears we may be sorted ..:niceone: thanks to Nasty & Grub (awesome guys thanks) will confirm closer to the weekend for sure :yes:

top news! good to hear... will try and come and say hi on the day. ill be wearing a blue denim vest on top with an indian-face bandanna on the back and a sunhuntin patch on the front

Gixxer 4 ever
4th November 2007, 20:43
Hope to come along for this. remember it is not to piss the public off. They are on our side or at worst don't care but if we piss them off they are going to be against us. Divided we fall blarrr blarr blarr. So stick to the road rules and make a good impact.

None of this shit aye people
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=60279

Top marks to Cola. See you all on Sunday

Ms Piggy
5th November 2007, 12:10
Sadly, I won't be able to ride with you all as I have done something (pulled a muscle) to my left arm which in spite of 2 sessions of physio a week for the last month doesn't seem to be improving :crybaby: and riding seems to aggregative it...in fact anything seems to (startin' to peeve me lots!!).

I would like to meet y'all at the end point though - I assume that is still parliament??

Cheers CSL

janno
5th November 2007, 15:09
I'll be coming down from New Plymouth on the Saturday for this one - anyone able to put me up for the night? I'm too old and decrepid to sleep on floors or chairs anymore . . . so I need a bed if poss.

I'll try and see if a few more bike riders from up here are willing to make the effort too.

Be good to put a few faces to some familiar names. :yes:

Ozzie
5th November 2007, 17:31
I couriered the signs to Colapop today, should get there tomorrow.

Advice:

Don't use builders line, or if you do, use lots of it (many loops) it is not strong enough, one line broke on our run.

Suggestion:

An oversight on my behalf, cut the signs off the vehicle and take them to the end point with you so that they can be held up. We only had one sign at the memorial, and it was a little kid on a bike (nothing wrong with that), but we had two other signs to show and make a point, and I left them attached to the Ute

:doh:

Colapop
5th November 2007, 18:43
It's good to see quite a few people getting organised to come and support this ride. I'm not sure if I'll be able to meet everybody on the day (I hope not as I hope there will be too many!!) so I will thank you in advance.

Today's announcement is that at least one MP will be at Parliament to greet us and will probably have something to say...

sinfull
5th November 2007, 18:53
Well I'm sure glad i found this site yesterday and not next sunday ! Hadn't even heard about the ride !
See ya all there !!

yungatart
5th November 2007, 18:55
Welcome Sinfull!
Col, i hope to meet you on Sunday...my shoulder is still troubling me, can i book in for one of your hugs pleeeease:love:

Mumbles
5th November 2007, 18:59
... You can keep working on getting my wife to buy me another race bike.
:Offtopic:

Can we get your wife to talk to mine?
ANOTHER race bike :niceone:, .... how about a short term swap? :whistle:

sunhuntin
5th November 2007, 19:06
I'll be coming down from New Plymouth on the Saturday for this one - anyone able to put me up for the night? I'm too old and decrepid to sleep on floors or chairs anymore . . . so I need a bed if poss.

I'll try and see if a few more bike riders from up here are willing to make the effort too.

Be good to put a few faces to some familiar names. :yes:

nag nadroj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col... you gotta come meet me, pretty please?

janet... will be good to see your crew again! is lee coming along?

Colapop
5th November 2007, 19:09
I do not want to disappoint anybody, hence the disclaimer, suffice to say I will not be making myself unavailable - I just don't know how available I'll be! I'd love to meet and greet and thank every person on the ride... but as I said I hope the sheer force of numbers will prevent that.... :calm:

yungatart
6th November 2007, 17:18
janet... will be good to see your crew again! is lee coming along?

I have no idea....I haven't heard from him in ages, and he works weekends so I doubt it

Ozzie
6th November 2007, 18:05
I do not want to disappoint anybody, hence the disclaimer, suffice to say I will not be making myself unavailable - I just don't know how available I'll be! I'd love to meet and greet and thank every person on the ride... but as I said I hope the sheer force of numbers will prevent that.... :calm:
The signs show CP?

Colapop
6th November 2007, 18:10
Yessiree Bob! I am currently having the seams sewn....

Ozzie
6th November 2007, 18:24
Good job, I couldn't work the sewing machine, so had to use staples
:Oops:

Colapop
6th November 2007, 18:26
They look like they've been well made.

Trudes
6th November 2007, 18:30
Are we wearing red arm bands? If so, will anyone have a couple of spares?

Nasty
6th November 2007, 18:31
Are we wearing red arm bands? If so, will anyone have a couple of spares?

Yes red arm bands are a go if you have them.

chanceyy
6th November 2007, 18:33
so red electrical tape will be the go then ??

sunhuntin
6th November 2007, 18:55
Yes red arm bands are a go if you have them.

which start place are you leaving from? got mcduck coming from whakatane who ive invited to tail me as this is his first group ride, but it wont work if he is at one spot and we are at another. lol.

Nasty
6th November 2007, 19:08
which start place are you leaving from? got mcduck coming from whakatane who ive invited to tail me as this is his first group ride, but it wont work if he is at one spot and we are at another. lol.

I am leaving from Sandbar Plimmerton .. and Grub is leaving from TSS Lower Hutt ... so you choose :)

sunhuntin
6th November 2007, 19:10
I am leaving from Sandbar Plimmerton .. and Grub is leaving from TSS Lower Hutt ... so you choose :)

thanks for that!

chanceyy
6th November 2007, 19:13

ohh choices is good :lol:

eni meani miney mo ...

Wasp27
7th November 2007, 04:48

The Napier group going down on Sunday will be leaving here at 6.00am...any chance we could meet up en route and go down together ...any suggestions??? Cheers W

McDuck
7th November 2007, 09:35
Anybody goot room for me?
dont realy want to pay for a motel.
Thanksyou
PS i dont mind if it is a floor, just as long as it is inside
Thanks

Accommodation found- thanks heaps nasty

Deano
7th November 2007, 09:44
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the numbers attending, and the omission of quite a few local KBer's.

Even if you don't support the cause, supporting your fellow bikers in their cause would be nice.

Why you don't support it I can't understand - the overseas stats don't lie - they are dangerous in their present form, (hence being banned or modified) and NOT cheaper in the long run as the Govt claims.

MSTRS
7th November 2007, 09:57
Why you don't support it I can't understand - the overseas stats don't lie - they are dangerous in their present form, (hence being banned or modified) and NOT cheaper in the long run as the Govt claims.

AND they are not safe for everybody else - trucks will go through/over

car
7th November 2007, 10:14
Thanksyou
Thanks

All I can offer is a sleeping bag and an airbed on the floor I'm afraid. But if no-one comes up with a better offer, with a bed, for instance, then you're welcome to stay at ours. Drop me a PM.

Nasty
7th November 2007, 10:27
Thanksyou
Thanks

PM sent :)

Paul in NZ
7th November 2007, 11:16
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the numbers attending, and the omission of quite a few local KBer's..

Will have to decide on the day - a bit tender some days...

McDuck
7th November 2007, 11:27
Look at the AK one, they had 100 people regester and 450 odd turn up. Dont lose hope.

chanceyy
7th November 2007, 11:39
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed with the numbers attending, and the omission of quite a few local KBer's.

Even if you don't support the cause, supporting your fellow bikers in their cause would be nice.

there are a number of riders who are not affliated with kb who will be there .. & then there are others who have already organised & paid for other trips .. I also know quite a few who are coming but have not put their names down

Gixxer 4 ever
7th November 2007, 13:59
I have sent Email to tell non KB rider. Told them I will be at the Westshore turn off at 6 am. IF they turn up good. If not thats life. Spread the word. I hope a lota Wellington and other regions close to Wellington turn up cos we don't have the dam things here yet and we are supporting the places that do. Come on NZ get on to this and speak out. Cheers

James Deuce
7th November 2007, 14:31

On-Call. Trying to get out of it.

Slim chance of succeeding.

Colapop
7th November 2007, 17:05
We won't know numbers until they actually arrive or don't arrive. If we panic about numbers then we're getting wound up for no reason. The success of this ride is not entirely dependant on numbers. Yes, many faces does make more impact but it is as equally important that the message is delivered.

There is a lot of advertising going on through bikes shops and pamphlet drops. I am currently organising a radio 'notice' through several stations so that it is mentioned there as well.

What is really good to see is the cross-bike gender support for this campaign. I have had messages from Harley riders, sportsbikers, scooter riders, classic bikers and various other brand groups. This is an issue that virtually all bikers agree on - regardless of affiliation.

McDuck
7th November 2007, 18:07
We won't know numbers until they actually arrive or don't arrive. If we panic about numbers then we're getting wound up for no reason. The success of this ride is not entirely dependant on numbers. Yes, many faces does make more impact but it is as equally important that the message is delivered.

There is a lot of advertising going on through bikes shops and pamphlet drops. I am currently organising a radio 'notice' through several stations so that it is mentioned there as well.

What is really good to see is the cross-bike gender support for this campaign. I have had messages from Harley riders, sportsbikers, scooter riders, classic bikers and various other brand groups. This is an issue that virtually all bikers agree on - regardless of affiliation.

Yes it is fantastic to see.....

Deano
7th November 2007, 18:18
Will have to decide on the day - a bit tender some days...

On-Call. Trying to get out of it.

Slim chance of succeeding.

Sorry - I mean't not attending by choice.

Sounds good bro.

sunhuntin
7th November 2007, 19:00
The Napier group going down on Sunday will be leaving here at 6.00am...any chance we could meet up en route and go down together ...any suggestions??? Cheers W

things are up in the air for now... trying to convince a friend to bring me down... still not sure what we are actually doing... he wants to go to palmy first.

mstrs... i will txt you if plans change. im gonna try and bunk work so we can hit palmy on saturday morning and then head to welly.

sels1
7th November 2007, 19:49
I'll be there, so long as I get a minor detail sorted first.

quallman1234
8th November 2007, 09:24
So what are people doing for arm bands?

janno
8th November 2007, 09:28
I was going to bring along a couple of rolls of red duct tape - if a few others can remember to do the same, then no one should miss out.

Actually, I'll call in at spotlight first and have a look at some cheap red material - that might be easier to just buy half a meter and cut it in to strips.

Hmm. Might do both.

James Deuce
8th November 2007, 09:45
Sorry - I mean't not attending by choice.

No dramas dude, I was feeling guilty, that's all. Looks like i may be able to make it after all.

sunhuntin
8th November 2007, 12:42
I was going to bring along a couple of rolls of red duct tape - if a few others can remember to do the same, then no one should miss out.

Actually, I'll call in at spotlight first and have a look at some cheap red material - that might be easier to just buy half a meter and cut it in to strips.

Hmm. Might do both.

ive got a wicked bandanna i picked up... tis red, and features skeletons, "mr and mrs boner" doin the mcnasty. :spanking:

Bike-aholic
8th November 2007, 13:19
Any chance one of you can organise someone to stand on a overpass to film the start to finish of the ride by and post it up on youtube :clap:.

sunhuntin
8th November 2007, 13:22
Any chance one of you can organise someone to stand on a overpass to film the start to finish of the ride by and post it up on youtube :clap:.

thats a good idea! anyone local who wants to help but is unable to ride for whatever reason willing to do this? im thinking of someone whos bike might be broken or similar.

car
8th November 2007, 13:44
thats a good idea! anyone local who wants to help but is unable to ride for whatever reason willing to do this? im thinking of someone whos bike might be broken or similar.

If Motorad don't come through with a gasket by Saturday morning, I'm unlikely to be riding on Sunday. I only ordered the thing on a "one week" delivery two weeks ago, like...

Freakshow
8th November 2007, 15:14
IS TSS going to be open??? I want to get some stuff!!! STU IF YOU ARE LISTENING!! OPEN

davereid
8th November 2007, 16:47
I offered to hang around at Mobil in Levin to ride with any kbers from further North that wanted to go in a group to the meeting place in Paremata. So far no takers... so let me know if you want to ride in a group, otherwise, I'll just wander down without waiting around. Cheers Dave (who has now applied underarm stuff)

Zukin
8th November 2007, 16:53
Just a reminder to remind someone to take some petition forms :niceone:
The little things often get forgotten about, yet they can have the biggest impact

Cheers

MSTRS
8th November 2007, 17:03
I offered to hang around at Mobil in Levin to ride with any kbers from further North that wanted to go in a group to the meeting place in Paremata. So far no takers... so let me know if you want to ride in a group, otherwise, I'll just wander down without waiting around. Cheers Dave (who has now applied underarm stuff)

Come and join us...http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=60564

Colapop
8th November 2007, 17:08
Just a reminder to remind someone to take some petition forms :niceone:
The little things often get forgotten about, yet they can have the biggest impact

Cheers
Under control... :cool:

chanceyy
8th November 2007, 18:10

hey Dave I am heading down to Nasty & Grubs on sat nite as they have kindly lent me a bike for the ride sat .. see you there :yes:

Dodger
9th November 2007, 07:29
Just wondering, are the bikes from both locations going to meet up for the ride into Wellington, are are we basically having two separate rides? <_<

(I'll prob join the Mana group as I need to pop into Welly to pick up a pillion.)

Ms Piggy
9th November 2007, 08:05
Hey y'all as I'm unable to ride I'll meet the group at (outside) Parliament and take loads of photos. Go well!

Cheers CSL

Nasty
9th November 2007, 08:07
Just wondering, are the bikes from both locations going to meet up for the ride into Wellington, are are we basically having two separate rides? <_<

(I'll prob join the Mana group as I need to pop into Welly to pick up a pillion.)

Going to join and enter as one group ....

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 12:04
hey Dave I am heading down to Nasty & Grubs on sat nite as they have kindly lent me a bike for the ride sat .. see you there :yes:

what are you going to be on? glad to hear you are coming along!!

car
9th November 2007, 12:43
If Motorad don't come through with a gasket by Saturday morning, I'm unlikely to be riding on Sunday. I only ordered the thing on a "one week" delivery two weeks ago, like...

Well, my gasket's in, but the two bolts I need to hold the cover on my gearbox will be here maybe Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sparky Mark
9th November 2007, 12:58
Anyone still looking for somewhere to get thier head down, please PM me and I'll be glad to help out.

Mark.

hang0ver
9th November 2007, 15:34
Hey,

Can someone please tell me the meeting points close to town? I understand Cuba street is one...

Cheers,

_-H-_

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 15:42
Going to join and enter as one group ....

Ok Where is the 'joining' place ? I presume we are going to organise the meet - yes!

Nasty
9th November 2007, 15:43
Ok Where is the 'joining' place ? I presume we are going to organise the meet - yes!

We meet at Sandbar and TSS and the two groups come together along the Quays ...so its not really a meeting but a re-grouping ... and we will be led to parliament from there.

madmal64
9th November 2007, 15:46
Hey,

Can someone please tell me the meeting points close to town? I understand Cuba street is one...

Cheers,

_-H-_

Why not ride to the Sand Bar or TSS? Its only a wee scoot up the motorway and its a whole lot better to ride with the group of most of the ride.
Just a thought.

Grub
9th November 2007, 15:48

It depends what you call close to town. The Hutt group will leave at 11:05 go down Cuba to the Esplanade and then join SH2 to the "slip road" (20mins) whilst the Sandbar/Paremata group will leave at 11 and just mosey dwn SH1 to the slip road (25mins).

The 'slip road' is the road into the CentrePort complex at the lights opposite the Westpac Stadium. Both groups will then go to Parliament via the city (10mins).

hang0ver
9th November 2007, 15:52
Why not ride to the Sand Bar or TSS? Its only a wee scoot up the motorway and its a whole lot better to ride with the group of most of the ride.
Just a thought.

Thats a good point. Um firstly, what does TSS stand for and how can anyone tell me where the 'Sandbar' is?

Thanks,

_-H-_

Nasty
9th November 2007, 15:53
Thats a good point. Um firstly, what does TSS stand for and how can anyone tell me where the 'Sandbar' is?

Thanks,

_-H-_

easy I will PM you my details to ring.

Nasty

chanceyy
9th November 2007, 18:30
what are you going to be on? glad to hear you are coming along!!

dunno wot ever they have spare .. :scooter:

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 19:24
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Just realised the bike is out of WOF. I'm out until about 2pm tomorrow so doubt I can get it done in time. Not a good idea to be where I can get noticed without one so If I can't organise one tomorrow, I'll have to give the ride a miss.

The last time I had to try 3 different VTNZ's to find one that did bikes.
VTNZ in Seaview is the only place that I know of and they close at 12.00.

Does anyone know a place in the Wellington region that does bike WOF's on Saturdays and don't close until about 4pm.

chanceyy
9th November 2007, 19:30
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Just realised the bike is out of WOF. I'm out until about 2pm tomorrow so doubt I can get it done in time. Not a good idea to be where I can get noticed without one so If I can't organise one tomorrow, I'll have to give the ride a miss.

The last time I had to try 3 different VTNZ's to find one that did bikes.
VTNZ in Seaview is the only place that I know of and they close at 12.00.

Does anyone know a place in the Wellington region that does bike WOF's on Saturdays and don't close until about 4pm.

ouch mate .. one thing with riding in such a large group very hard to spot one bike with out of date wof .. mine sits under my seat so is never seen anyway ..

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 19:32
ouch mate .. one thing with riding in such a large group very hard to spot one bike with out of date wof .. mine sits under my seat so is never seen anyway ..

Yeah! But would hate to get a spot check done on the way home.

James Deuce
9th November 2007, 19:39
Err, why do you go to a VTNZ?

GO to a bike shop.

Like TSS.

Mom
9th November 2007, 19:40
When: Sunday 11th November
Where: TSS, Cuba St, Alicetown, Lower Hutt & The carpark outside The Sandbar, Plimmerton.
Departs 10:30am from each location

Sorry cant join you guys tomorrow. Hope the weather plays the game, and you all have a safe ride.

James Deuce
9th November 2007, 19:41
You mean Sunday right?

Mom
9th November 2007, 19:42
You mean Sunday right?

maybe......:sunny:

Ok then Sunday! what a dick I am :done:

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 20:03
dunno wot ever they have spare .. :scooter:

kk. nasty, can i pretty please book the 500 for the ride? will "babysit" mcduck, and then my buddy can go play with the big boys without worrying about me assing off, lol.

will get your bank details while im down there and then do an online transfer of moolah. lol.

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 20:22
Err, why do you go to a VTNZ?

GO to a bike shop.

Like TSS.

Last time was for the same reason. Overlooked the date. Needed to get it done on a Saturday. Bike shops don't generally have the mechanics doing WOF's on Saturdays. Will be out until around 2pm tomorrow so VTNZ was the best option.
If I have to wait until next week then yes, it will be a bike shop. But I was hoping to get it sorted out over the weekend so I can come on this ride.

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:31
kk. nasty, can i pretty please book the 500 for the ride? will "babysit" mcduck, and then my buddy can go play with the big boys without worrying about me assing off, lol.

will get your bank details while im down there and then do an online transfer of moolah. lol.

should be fine .. i am hoping to have a bike myself as well ... we will sort :) I should have three on the go tomorrow. how you coming down?

chanceyy
9th November 2007, 20:33
should be fine .. i am hoping to have a bike myself as well ... we will sort :) I should have three on the go tomorrow. how you coming down?

Hey nasty if you do not have one spare no probs aye ..

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:35
Hey nasty if you do not have one spare no probs aye ..

I told you that is fine .. you have a bike! Trust me :)

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 20:39
I told you that is fine .. you have a bike! Trust me :)

I don't..:crybaby:

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 20:39

got kev giving me a ride. :2thumbsup should be interesting, to say the least! LOL. would you be happy to do change of ownership stuff this weekend? can be done online.

hawkeye, maybe beg to ride pillion with someone?

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:40
I don't..:crybaby:

What happend to your baby????

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:41
got kev giving me a ride. :2thumbsup should be interesting, to say the least! LOL. would you be happy to do change of ownership stuff this weekend? can be done online.

hawkeye, maybe beg to ride pillion with someone?

We will sort .. give me a calll you got the number???

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 20:42
We will sort .. give me a calll you got the number???

we will see you tomorrow for the bbq... doesnt matter if it doesnt happen this week... ill be down next week as well, lol.

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:43
we will see you tomorrow for the bbq... doesnt matter if it doesnt happen this week... ill be down next week as well, lol.

you have her without an issue .. don't worry ... I have a pile of stuff so bring a bag!

Hawkeye
9th November 2007, 20:46
What happend to your baby????

Nothing serious! Just overlooked the WOF.

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 20:46
you have her without an issue .. don't worry ... I have a pile of stuff so bring a bag!

LOL, ok. just tried to call, but got engaged tone. :2thumbsup

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:49
LOL, ok. just tried to call, but got engaged tone. :2thumbsup

Grub is installing new puter ... knocked phone off hook .. all fixed :sleep:

Nasty
9th November 2007, 20:49
Nothing serious! Just overlooked the WOF.

LTNZ testing station may be able to help unless you need work.

diddie17
9th November 2007, 23:40
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I guess it's a bit of a trek, but I know Porirua do bikes, I had one of mine done there a week ago. I have no idea when they close, so might be worth a call to find out and check they can do the bike on a weekend.

James Deuce
10th November 2007, 05:33
LTNZ testing station may be able to help unless you need work.Sure fire way to fail your WoF in an expensive fashion.

"Your rear reflector isn't perfectly parallel with the ground when your bike is on its sidestand. That's a fail and we expect a perfectly engineered solution that automatically adjusts the angle of the reflector whether the bike is stationary or moving before you can have a WoF."

Zukin
10th November 2007, 07:11
Sure fire way to fail your WoF in an expensive fashion.

"Your rear reflector isn't perfectly parallel with the ground when your bike is on its sidestand. That's a fail and we expect a perfectly engineered solution that automatically adjusts the angle of the reflector whether the bike is stationary or moving before you can have a WoF."

I always got to VTNZ station for my warrants, and have never had a problem (even with my old XR's, like you said ""Your rear reflector isn't perfectly parallel with the ground when your bike is on its sidestand",
but
one day they might pick something up that I haven't, that could save my life! :clap:
Like a split in the tyre, a leak in the brake lines, anything.

They do WOF's to keep you and other road users safe (and for the government to make some dosh :angry2:), some bike shops I have been to a pretty relaxed when it comes to WOF time.

Just my 2 cents worth

I hope you can get it done Hawkeye :)

James Deuce
10th November 2007, 08:05
They do WOF's to keep you and other road users safe (and for the government to make some dosh :angry2:), some bike shops I have been to a pretty relaxed when it comes to WOF time.

That is a myth. WoF is a one off check at a particular point in time.

It is YOUR responsibility to keep your vehicle safe and compliant within the minimal safety requirements of meeting the WoF standard. It is not the tester's responsibility, neither is it your mechanic's responsibility.

There are plenty of VTNZ and LTNZ testing station stories on KB where people have been dealt to for patently ridiculous things whilst the tester has ignored obvious safety issues and in many cases they aren't equipped to make a judgment as they don't have the license to be able to even ride around the block.

Wasp27
10th November 2007, 11:51
Keep an eye out for the HB group...Cant miss us we're the ones that wave to everyone:bye:

Wasp27
10th November 2007, 16:36
Keep an eye out for the HB group...this will give us away

Hi Folks, The HB group thats going down and returning on Sunday will be leaving Napier at 6.00am and riding through Palmy Nth on the trip down. We will be returning via Masterton cause Zukin has arranged Tea and Scones for us:niceone: Anyone wants to tag along is welcome...we should be in Dannevirke at 7.30am and P/Nth at 8.00- 8.15am. Just let us know where would suit to meet......Cheers W & D

DEATH_INC.
10th November 2007, 20:47
Good luck with ya ride guys (and guyettes).
If someone can send me some video footage of it that'd be sweet. :niceone:

Wasp27
11th November 2007, 03:33
Col, the days about to dawn here and everythings lookin good.....just want you to know that we all appreciate your efforts in organising this protest ride...look forward to seeing ya when we get down. Cheers 'The HB Mob'

janno
11th November 2007, 06:18
Just having an extremely civilised breakfast at Dennisr's after a convivial and jolly barbecue at Grub and Nasty's last night. Thanks you lot!!!
Day is looking fan-blardy-tastic guys!!

I've got a swag of red cloth armbands I'll be taking to Mana, so if you see me wandering around giving them out, (I'm in a red and black cordura jacket) then come say hi and grab an armband!

Janno

Colapop
11th November 2007, 06:39
Fantastic day out there! Lets hope that translates into a big turnout...

Has anyone got Hawkeye's number?

Pixie
11th November 2007, 09:14
There are plenty of VTNZ and LTNZ testing station stories on KB where people have been dealt to for patently ridiculous things whilst the tester has ignored obvious safety issues and in many cases they aren't equipped to make a judgment as they don't have the license to be able to even ride around the block.

According to the tester I use all Wof checks require the vehicle to be test ridden/driven.This is in the LTNZ wof manual.If this is not done it isn't a valid test.

James Deuce
11th November 2007, 12:03
Well done to Colapop and Yungatart.

Exceptionally well done on pointing out that we weren't protesting, merely seeking greater public involvement in this particular issue.

Thank you to Ulysses for keeping the ride together and on track.

Wasp27 - that was a mother of a Flag!

Good on you for turning up folks.

Trudes
11th November 2007, 12:49
Same as above. Good to see such an awesome turnout today, the message was clear and hopefully will help the wheels turn. Thanks to all the oranisers for your hard work and our non-welliers for coming with us!:niceone:

Colapop
11th November 2007, 12:56
All I can do is chorus what has been said already. Thank-you all so much for turning up! The people that put a lot of effort into pamphlets, petitions, flags, leading, traffic management, support and all the other million and one little things that went into this. This has been a team effort and it has been a real buzz to see how this has come together.

Hellraiser
11th November 2007, 13:50
So how many bikes were there?

Nasty
11th November 2007, 13:53
So how many bikes were there?

Rough estimates are .. around 75 from Sandbar ... 80-90 from TSS .. and a few cars to my back who protected me well .. we also had a number of who met us there ... it was fantastic!! Well done all.

nudemetalz
11th November 2007, 13:54
Well done to everyone concerned. :2thumbsup

I was going to attend, but I think I sustained a back injury from trailriding yesterday. Didn't bother me til this morning so the Guzzi had to stay indoors.

Colapop
11th November 2007, 14:06
About 200ish bikes apparently...

Meekey_Mouse
11th November 2007, 14:23
Awesome to hear there was a good turn out :woohoo:

Don't forget bout the Taupo ride happening :soon:

Link: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59471

ManDownUnder
11th November 2007, 14:32
Good turnout - what kind of press/media coverage was there?

Nasty
11th November 2007, 14:40
Good turnout - what kind of press/media coverage was there?

Not a lot ... they had some press on the ride down. At Plimmerton there was someone who reped and takes pics for the local rags out this way .. so we should get somewhere.

Grub
11th November 2007, 14:42
Wizard show what!

Damn fine presentation of our case from both Cola and the brilliantly warm and committed presentation by Yungatart!

Marian Hobbs explanation of the Petition process was great as she detailed how that buys us a seat at a Select Committee hearing where our case can be presented in depth.

ManDownUnder
11th November 2007, 14:45
Marian Hobbs explanation of the Petition process was great as she detailed how that buys us a seat at a Select Committee hearing where our case can be presented in depth.

Cool - so who has he time and expertise to take it there? We needs some serious studies backing what we want.

James Deuce
11th November 2007, 14:49
The serious studies are readily available from a variety of sources, from the European Parliament to the individual Governments of the countries that have banned them or are reviewing them.

Grub
11th November 2007, 14:51
Cool - so who has he time and expertise to take it there? We needs some serious studies backing what we want.

From what I saw and heard to day, it's not going to be difficult. Many of us have done the research and the European, Australian and US reports and studies give us a position that Transit would be hard-pushed to defend against.

I feel the short answer is that the case is already made, we just need to present it. The way it was presented today would do very nicely I think.

Skunk
11th November 2007, 14:59
The serious studies are readily available from a variety of sources, from the European Parliament to the individual Governments of the countries that have banned them or are reviewing them.
Monash has a good "study" too (that's where Death Incs pic came from) and LTNZ loves Monash studies...

Basically it says that nobody has really considered bikes and they should because the news is all bad.

I have downloaded several that make good reading.

ManDownUnder
11th November 2007, 15:01
From what I saw and heard to day, it's not going to be difficult. Many of us have done the research and the European, Australian and US reports and studies give us a position that Transit would be hard-pushed to defend against.

I feel the short answer is that the case is already made, we just need to present it. The way it was presented today would do very nicely I think.

Respect :niceone:

I'm just aware we're "up against" politicians expert in the art of avoiding the issue and minimising expediture/damage.

That being said - elections are nearly upon us. Timing is good.

Clivoris
11th November 2007, 15:03
Add my tautoko to the list tooo. Job well done Col, Janet and the riders. Madmal could always get work as an usher as well if entrepreneuring gets to be too much. Top job on the parking at the sandbar bro.

banditrider
11th November 2007, 15:11
Wizard show what!

Damn fine presentation of our case from both Cola and the brilliantly warm and committed presentation by Yungatart!

Hear, hear - I second that. Both of you came across really well - shame there was no tv camera around.

A few piccys here (http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/CheesecutterProtestRide).

Sully60
11th November 2007, 16:05
It was awesome to be a part of such a large convoy of bikes especially all riding together for such a great cause.

Thanks to all the people who put the time in to organise everything and it was an honor to take part and show support.

Thank you all very much again.

Craig

captain_andrey
11th November 2007, 16:45
Some more photos here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71396325@N00/sets/72157603075882845/

Dodger
11th November 2007, 17:05
Some more photos here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71396325@N00/sets/72157603075882845/

Great photos there, and one of me! :)

KoroJ
11th November 2007, 17:14
I'm all in favour of a protest and an effort to get these things modified.....But.....what is this ride going to achieve apart from a few warm fuzzies for the riders that participate, in the thought that they have taken action.......

I'll have to retract my earlier post.

Well done Col....right action at this stage. Well organised and good, orderly participation.

I gave it an MIB here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/blogs/viewblog.php?userid=9500&entry=318

sels1
11th November 2007, 17:54
Yeah well done Col and Janet for the speeches ( thats the most sense I have ever heard from you Col!) And well done everyone else.
Special thanks to Wasp for being my pilot today....its a different view from the back seat!

Maha
11th November 2007, 17:59
About 200ish bikes apparently...

Yeah good effort oh 'Hugger of MP's'....Janet and yourself looked stunning and might i add...that vest makes you look slimmer....:love:

Nasty
11th November 2007, 18:09
Huge bling to the guys who came from Plimmerton ... I was tail end charlie and was watching it all from the back ... the behaviour was superb ... I had a chat with the ride leader re speed as I didn't want to go 140 as you can as TEC .. and he kept it reasonable .. keeping to the one lane meant that the cars generally merged through to the outside(right hand) lane and left us as a group ... or went with us to their own turn off and went slightly slower with us!

This was the best group ride i have done and am PROUD to have been part of@

Awesome work to the team out at the sandbar .. I have paper petitions coming out my ears (thanks Chanccey and Sweetp) ...

Cheers
Kari

chanceyy
11th November 2007, 19:52
Huge bling to the guys who came from Plimmerton ... I was tail end charlie and was watching it all from the back ... the behaviour was superb ... I had a chat with the ride leader re speed as I didn't want to go 140 as you can as TEC .. and he kept it reasonable .. keeping to the one lane meant that the cars generally merged through to the outside(right hand) lane and left us as a group ... or went with us to their own turn off and went slightly slower with us!

Awesome work to the team out at the sandbar .. I have paper petitions coming out my ears (thanks Chanccey and Sweetp) ...

Cheers
Kari

Serious thanks to you & Grub who put on great bbq last nite .. fab breaky this morning .. for putting up with a house full & esp lending me your new bike Kari ..

awesome guys .. you epitomise what KB & bikers are all about with your generosity .. thank you

chanceyy
11th November 2007, 19:56
ohh btw Stuart asked if some petition forms can be dropped off to the bike shop down that way .. and a few more were asking ..

I will organise up here .. can someone organise forms to be dropped off to the various bike shops down there plz

Zukin
11th November 2007, 20:08
Serious thanks to you & Grub who put on great bbq last nite .. fab breaky this morning .. for putting up with a house full & esp lending me your new bike Kari ..

awesome guys .. you epitomise what KB & bikers are all about with your generosity .. thank you

I agree with your comments about Nasty and Grub
They are fantastic!!:2thumbsup

Thanks for the behind the scenes work you all did, the Welly Crew Rocks :2thumbsup

Cheers Scott

sunhuntin
11th November 2007, 20:28

Cheers
Kari

i have to second that! ive done a number of group rides, and todays was THE BEST ive ever had the honor of joining. it was very well organised and planned, and the participants can be congratulated on behaving.
only had one car who thought shed move between myself and those ahead of me, despite there being nowhere to go. she stayed there for a few mins, and then moved back to the lane she came from. silly bint, lmfao.

mcduck... great to meet you. keep up the riding, and get that sprocket and chain replaced asap. btw... the wet weather cover on the tankbag was awesome... helped me see you in my mirror. LOL

jim2, col, sels1, wasp, chanceyy, sweetp and paulnz and anyone else i may have mistakenly missed... great to finally meet all of you!!!

nasty and grub: thanks to you both for making this weekend one of the best! your hospitality cannot be beaten. you are both lovely people, and i thank you a million times over!!

have a few pics, and will post them this week.

et al
11th November 2007, 22:14
Well done Colapop and all the others who helped make it happen, and of course all of those who took part - as far as I could see everyone behaved themselves and I think the whole thing was a top effort from go to whoa. The cars we encountered along the way seemed to respect what we were doing and hopefully we made some good impressions on Joe public - this applied in particular whenever a car driver made it obvious they needed to cross our path at Motorway on/off ramps and they were allowed through with no dramas. One driver showed his appreciation by giving us a big series of "thumbs up" out his window up as he made his way off into Johnsonville (must admit I had to look twice to make sure it was his thumb and not another digit being hoisted so fervently).

yungatart
12th November 2007, 07:15
It was fantastic!
I was at the back and it was bikes as far as the eye could see....impressive for sure.
Top marks to the Welly crew who helped organise this.
It was (scarily) my pleasure to have spoken at parliament. Thanks for putting up with me and listening so attentively. I haven't done any public speaking so was a tad nervous....it helps to have a great audience and to be passionate about your topic!
Thanks to Nasty and Grub for the BBQ, was nice to meet some new faces and catch up with some old friends.
We HB peeps had rain, hail, thunder and lightning on the way home.....but all made it back safely...including McDuck who stayed with us the night.

James Deuce
12th November 2007, 07:30
It was (scarily) my pleasure to have spoken at parliament. Thanks for putting up with me and listening so attentively. I haven't done any public speaking so was a tad nervous....it helps to have a great audience and to be passionate about your topic!

You lie! You looked like the sort of scary battleaxe (I am so gonna pay for that) who stands up in front of crowds at the drop of a hat! Not even one "umm" that I can remember and wasn't Kari brilliant with her quiet (how did she do that) encouragement from the front row?

Paul in NZ
12th November 2007, 08:37
You lie! You looked like the sort of scary battleaxe (I am so gonna pay for that) who stands up in front of crowds at the drop of a hat!

Rabble rouser is the technical term I thinks... Mind you the rabble :scooter: was looking quite polite and more ready for a nice flat white than storming the gates of power... Might need more rousing... ;)

limbimtimwim
12th November 2007, 10:25
Huge bling to the guys who came from Plimmerton ... I was tail end charlie and was watching it all from the back ... the behaviour was superb ... I was dissapointed at the lack of wheelies.

Come on Wellington, people will think we are responsible people who actually care or something.

yungatart
12th November 2007, 10:29
You lie! You looked like the sort of scary battleaxe (I am so gonna pay for that) who stands up in front of crowds at the drop of a hat! ....

Battleaxe, huh?
With a memory like an elephant's...you will keep....

Rabble rouser is the technical term I thinks... Mind you the rabble :scooter: was looking quite polite and more ready for a nice flat white than storming the gates of power...

That's because you are all a bunch of toothless, balding, aging bikers......:whistle:

Sully60
12th November 2007, 10:56
Battleaxe, huh?
With a memory like an elephant's...you will keep....

That's because you are all a bunch of toothless, balding, aging bikers......:whistle:

I can't say,who you calling toothless or bald because I saw your teeth and you hair didn't come off with your helmet.

But who you calling toothless and bald?

yungatart
12th November 2007, 10:59
Just some of those old geezers in the "rabble"...guys like....umm...I'm sure you can figure it out...
I was not part of the "rabble", so, of course, was not referring to myself

Skunk
12th November 2007, 15:28
Just some of those old geezers in the "rabble"...guys like....umm...I'm sure you can figure it out...
I was not part of the "rabble", so, of course, was not referring to myself
Can you post the text of your speech? I'd like to use parts of it in a flyer if you don't mind... I've found the images of it but as text would be better.

Stickchick
12th November 2007, 15:31
Can you post the text of your speech? I'd like to use parts of it in a flyer if you don't mind... I've found the images of it but as text would be better.

Mstrs already did

heres the link

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=60816

MSTRS
12th November 2007, 15:40

Mstrs already did

heres the link

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=60816

He did say 'text' - as in cut'n'paste...
But no, I won't on advice I've had as to 'keeping it original' - apparently the media love to get hold of stuff they can play with....

Gixxer 4 ever
12th November 2007, 19:15
Umm where can I find the link to the online petition?

robertydog
12th November 2007, 19:21
Umm where can I find the link to the online petition?

http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/

Skunk
12th November 2007, 19:28
I won't on advice I've had as to 'keeping it original' - apparently the media love to get hold of stuff they can play with....Bugger, but OK. I'm useless with words but wanted to print some flyers that can be handed out. I wanted the main points and I think some reasons why car drivers should be supporting the campaign should be included.

I could always retype the bits I need... :shifty: but I won't.

Who's running the show to get everything co-ordinated, and to get an OK on something like this?

Colapop
12th November 2007, 20:11
I was dissapointed at the lack of wheelies.

Come on Wellington, people will think we are responsible people who actually care or something.
A HUGE public thanks to Simon. Tons of work behind the scenes - he got Marion!

Nasty, Grub, Yungatart, Hitcher, Jim2, KoroJ, MSTRS, LB, Wasp27, Gixxer4eva, Stickchick, 325Rocket, Clivoris, Fergus, SparkyBills, John Boyle, Crasherfromwayback.... the list seems to go on and on (as it should) but these are some of the people that helped make this happen. Alone the journey is hard, but together we help each other up when times are tough. There is no I in team.

James Deuce
12th November 2007, 20:19
There is no I in team.

No, but there is a "Me" so watch out for that. ;)

You did good Col.

McDuck
12th November 2007, 22:07
Big thanks to all that helped me out, i was shit scared to when i saw that sprocket. Big thanks to nasty and grub for putting me up for sat night and bigger thanks for MSTRS and yungatart for putting me up Sunday night with about 5 mins warning :chase: and genraly everybody that helped put the bike right for the ride home (not to mention Ross (i think that was you name, i seem to have missed it) for taking me back to your workshop and getting the kat to a state that i could safly take her home :love:. I have the cover off the frount sprocket and it is in good condition but i will still replace it. The BBQs was fantastic, meeting all the people (and forgetting everybody's names :rolleyes:) then going on my first group ride. It was an absolutely fantastic ride, made even better knowing that sunhuntin was a bike ahead of me and nasty was behind. I should have the bike back going in a few weeks :rockon: and i will also replace the brake lines for the front at the same time (just to be safe). I will certainly be down in welli in the near futcher and i might just move to Napier next year :lol: (what do you guys think about keeping the same size rear sprocket? Needs the help pulling em around :)?
Thanks again....

chanceyy
13th November 2007, 05:20
Big thanks to all that helped me out, i was shit scared to when i saw that sprocket. Big thanks to nasty and grub for putting me up for sat night and bigger thanks for MSTRS and yungatart for putting me up Sunday night with about 5 mins warning :chase: and genraly everybody that helped put the bike right for the ride home (not to mention Ross (i think that was you name, i seem to have missed it) for taking me back to your workshop and getting the kat to a state that i could safly take her home :love:. I have the cover off the frount sprocket and it is in good condition but i will still replace it. The BBQs was fantastic, meeting all the people (and forgetting everybody's names :rolleyes:) then going on my first group ride. It was an absolutely fantastic ride, made even better knowing that sunhuntin was a bike ahead of me and nasty was behind. I should have the bike back going in a few weeks :rockon: and i will also replace the brake lines for the front at the same time (just to be safe). I will certainly be down in welli in the near futcher and i might just move to Napier next year :lol: (what do you guys think about keeping the same size rear sprocket? Needs the help pulling em around :)?
Thanks again....

Great meeting you Mcduck & glad you made it home safely .. thats wots great about KB .. with us newbies who do not know any better always someone looking out for you & showing you wot you need to be aware of for the future

one of the first things I had to do on Betsy was replace sprocket & chains a kber helped me with wot to get & then kindly changed them for me

be seeing you on a few more long distance rides in the future .. :clap:

sunhuntin
13th November 2007, 05:27
Thanks again....

glad to hear you are home safe and sound, and that the bike is getting back into ridable condition.

very glad that you had a great time... though... with the people involved, how could you not???

Ms Piggy
13th November 2007, 05:58
I see mention of flyers...I'm keen to distribute them or do whatever is needed to keep this going. I think it might have been 1 of the toothless & balding blokes I was talking to that said: "This is just the beginning".

nadroj
13th November 2007, 06:16
I just downloaded the explanation sheet & petition blank to distribute around the Taranaki bike shops & a few other workplaces. Did most of them in New Plymouth, Stratford & Hawera yesterday.

ynot slow
13th November 2007, 06:32
Cheers for that,have signed the email version,will go into local shops and sign as well,also get as many friends and family to sign the forms,nice day for a ride around the mountain yesterday,bugger this working lark.

janno
13th November 2007, 06:53
Cheers for that,have signed the email version,will go into local shops and sign as well,also get as many friends and family to sign the forms,nice day for a ride around the mountain yesterday,bugger this working lark.

Garrggghhhh, nooooo! Only sign ONE!!! Otherwise both your sigs will be invalid.

I wonder if this needs to be made clear on the petition form, if it isn't already?

sels1
13th November 2007, 06:53
I see mention of flyers...I'm keen to distribute them or do whatever is needed to keep this going. I think it might have been 1 of the toothless & balding blokes I was talking to that said: "This is just the beginning".

http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/

who are you calling balding and thoothless....? :laugh:

Freakshow
13th November 2007, 07:47

I wonder if this needs to be made clear on the petition form, if it isn't already?

I think this does need to be clearer as prior to the protest ride I was unaware of this and signed at the ride as well as online. When it was mentioned at the ride I managed to chase the form down and cross my name out!!!

PEOPLE PLEASE DON"T SIGN TWICE!

Nasty
13th November 2007, 07:51
If you have signed the petition forms on Sunday and the website petition please PM me your name and I will remove it from the paper copy.

McDuck
13th November 2007, 09:55
the ones i sign on line i dont realy give a shit about. The ones i sign in rel life i want to happen...

chanceyy
13th November 2007, 10:00
If you have signed the petition forms on Sunday and the website petition please PM me your name and I will remove it from the paper copy.

I did ask everyone before they signed if they had filled in the online one ... only one forgot .. remembered later & came crossed their name out from the mana lot

nadroj
13th November 2007, 17:24

I gave verbal instructions to all I left forms with NOT to sign more than once or both will be invalid.

sunhuntin
13th November 2007, 19:16
welllll... walked in the door tonight, with the biggest goofy grin on my face. methinks im in love with drama queen... my boss and local yammy dealers all approve... and so does dad, despite that fact she bit him when he had her up on the center stand and rocked her back down, lol. might get him to remove it, cos it gets in the way when going backwards.

had a windy ride today, kept to mostly legal speeds except when over taking

will upload pics shortly... didnt get many, but.