PDA

View Full Version : RGV150 vs FXR150

WanaGo
28th July 2003, 11:47
Hey,

My mate has a 2000 RGV150ss, and I just got a 2001 FXR150. His is two stroke, mine 4 stroke..... Is there going to be much difference in top speed between the bikes? Also, the acceleration is obviously greater on the RGV as its 2 stroke, but would it be that much greater than the FXR ?

Has anyone got a RGV150 ?

Thanks
WanaGo

MikeL
28th July 2003, 13:05
I had one for a month or so before I bought my Honda. Not a bad little bike performance-wise and fine for commuting. I think Andrew still has his.

jrandom
28th July 2003, 13:17
Is there going to be much difference in top speed between the bikes? Also, the acceleration is obviously greater on the RGV as its 2 stroke, but would it be that much greater than the FXR?

Well, a colleague of mine had an RGV150 as his first bike, and he's had a play on my FXR, so I'll ask him what he thinks if I can get hold of him today. His initial comment after getting off the FXR was, IIRC, "not as much poke as the RGV..."

But let's face it, they're both slow, shite and tiny and we're only on them until we can afford and/or legally ride a Real Bike (tm) :D

jrandom
28th July 2003, 15:50
I'll ask him what he thinks

Asked him. He doesn't remember taking the RGV over 120 or so, top-speed wise. He reckons it was geared a bit lower than the FXR, so this would also affect your observations on acceleration, etc.

FWIW, I've had my FXR up to 141 down the flattish bit of the north-western motorway before the St Lukes turnoff, but I'm a fat bastard. I'm sure one of the other FXR riders (happy now, SpankMe? ;) ) will be along to report a better number.

Matter of fact, I was passed a bit further down the motorway last night 8pm-ish (in the cage :o) by an FXR at full chat, looked like he was going about 140. Started giggling uncontrollably, I had *no* idea how loud that bike could be from behind...

Antallica
28th July 2003, 17:26
I've done 150km/h ;) :D ... only just started hitting red line. Can't do it again, engine refuses to go past 147 as it slows down a few k after that. I'll try again when I hopefully get down to Pukekohe.

Dave
28th July 2003, 17:53
Take your mirrors off.

Antallica
28th July 2003, 17:56
Originally posted by Dave
Take your mirrors off.

Heh up till lunchtime today they have been off since my gran backed into it. w00t bike's legal now :D

WanaGo
29th July 2003, 09:15
My bike is road legal now too! Just got my rego yesterday!

Last piece of the puzzle to go now...... licence :o

WanaGo

Duke of Rogan
29th July 2003, 10:06
I rode in to work today on a FXR150 as a lone bike for the day while my regular ride is being accessed by my insurance company, and I couldnt help having a cheesy grin while I was rinding it :D
I can't imagine it doing 140km/h!

I have ridden a RG150 when I did my full license test, and I can say that the 2-stroke was definately had more go, espically when riding around town.

jrandom
29th July 2003, 11:57
I rode in to work today on a FXR150 as a lone bike for the day <snip> I can't imagine it doing 140km/h!

Heh.

It does do 140, really it does...

But for some reason the FXR engine seems *very* sensitive to air humdity and temperature, engine not being warmed up properly, etc. Some days I'll ride into work over the harbour bridge and I'll have to shift down into fourth just to hold it at 80 kays going up the hump, and then on the way home it'll be roaring up the other side happily pulling at 120 in sixth.

As Antallica mentioned recently in another thread, the torque seems to dip then jump quite a bit around 8500rpm; above 9 grand it punches along quite nicely. The trick to getting a decent speed going is to get it up to 12-ish before changing up so that the revs don't drop below 9 and fail to climb again. You can sit on a pinned throttle at 8 grand in top gear all day, and it won't accelerate until you change down.

Anyway, what the hell is the shop doing, palming an FXR off on you when you've given them a Duck to fix? I would've bawled and spit the dummy until they gave me something a bit more respectable...

Duke of Rogan
29th July 2003, 12:35
Anyway, what the hell is the shop doing, palming an FXR off on you when you've given them a Duck to fix? I would've bawled and spit the dummy until they gave me something a bit more respectable...

any bike in a storm. atleast I didnt have to resort to the bus (again).
I've only got the FXR for the day, and rather than piss them off I accepted it so that when the duck's off the road I might get something bigger.

SpankMe
21st October 2003, 20:44
Originally posted by jrandom
It does do 140, really it does...
I had one up to 149kph on a slight down hill. I takes a bit to get going from a stand-still, but once it gets going its not bad for a 150cc.

Coldkiwi
21st October 2003, 20:53
At track time last september there were two ladies on FXR's. They both managed to hit 150 down the back straight and my ZXR topped out (rev limiter) at 190&nbsp;at the kink

jrandom
22nd October 2003, 08:52
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
At track time last september there were two ladies on FXR's.

Really? Gee. Perhaps I'll head along to the next trackday in hopes of not being *too* embarrassed, then :o

And SpankMe, re. takeoff on FXRs, yes the engine is pretty crap down low, but then a single-pot 150 tuned for 20hp (which works out to slightly more hp:cc than a Hayabusa, if I'm figuring it right!) isn't exactly going to be a torque monster :D (the low end got even worse after Colemans rejetted the carb but I'd like to get it on the dyno now, just out of curiosity)

A bit of clutch-slipping and they jump away quite nicely though. I've recently managed to clutch up some decent (if rather wobbly) wheelies from a slow roll, too. Will post pics/movies when I get it going properly...

discodan
10th January 2004, 22:05
Hi, this is my first post here. I had my RGV150 for about 3 years and my mate got an FXR150 at the same time. Over 3 years we raced and the RGV was clearly the faster bike, it has much taller gearing than the FXR and when the revs get up it just plain walks it, it was a cool bike. My mate got an aftermarket exhaust but that made virtualy no difference. Top speed wise I saw 180kmph on the clock but i think that the speedo is way off, more like 160kmph, that was when I was a shortarse so with a 6 foot rider probly 150 kmph real world. :Punk:

angle
10th January 2004, 23:03
I have an RG150E sitting in the basement. Back in its glory days I took it above 200 km/h. It's a very nimble bike, makes it very easy to put the knees down. But it's very uncomfortable.

Indiana_Jones
11th January 2004, 10:27
FXR :rockon:
It an't no speed demon, but it's cool, since I got it for $2000 :2thumbsup

-Indy

WanaGo
11th January 2004, 14:04
Ive had my FXR150 for about 5 months now. For a first bike, and for a 150cc, Im really really happy with it! I just did the Coast to Coast on it! If anyone saw a FXR150 on the Coast to Coast from Himatangi beach to um... whats that place called.... On the East coast... anyway, that was me!. I was the smallest bike there.

I did it on my FXR150, and I kept up with everyone fine, not a problem at all. And whats best, only cost me $10 to fill up, before I left from Palmy, before it even started! And lasted me all the way home :)

Overall its actually quite amazing how well it goes for a 150. Sort of wish I got a 250 to start on now that I have learnt how to ride etc, but It'll last me until I get my full.

Cheers
WanaGo

Indiana_Jones
11th January 2004, 17:44
rock on FXR's :Punk:

-Indy

Kickaha
11th January 2004, 18:14
Rode a friends wifes RG150 and had it indicating 180km, even passed him on his F650 while he was showing 160km,of course he had to inform his wife I'd been screwing her bike when we got back!