PDA

View Full Version : Filming to commence in NZ on “World’s Fastest Indian”

Bob
20th October 2004, 00:03
Filming is underway for what promises to be “Another exciting NZ film” said Acting Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Judith Tizard. "Film has become an increasingly important industry for New Zealand. As well as delivering important economic benefits, it provides a great forum for sharing our stories and heritage with the world."

Written and directed by New Zealander Roger Donaldson, The World's Fastest Indian will star Academy Award-winner, Anthony Hopkins as New Zealand motorcycle legend Burt Munro. Filming has begun at the site of Munro’s record-breaking motorcycle feat in Utah, and will soon move to New Zealand to complete an 11-week shoot.

Burt Munro came from Invercargill and in the 1960s set world speed records on an Indian motorbike.

The film is Roger Donaldson’s first in New Zealand since embarking on a successful 20-year career in Hollywood.

Ms Piggy
20th October 2004, 08:04
Cool - sounds like one to look out for!

James Deuce
20th October 2004, 08:11
Sorry to be a naysayer, but the premise does little for me, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins is going to be playing the lead when there are plenty of "Authentic Kiwis" who could carry the role with ease is a touch patronising, especially from a Kiwi director. It's a niche feel good movie that won't be a huge box office success, so why get a fat old bloke who will do a hybrid brit-aussie accent and call it a Kiwi accent to play one of the hard men of the NZ bike scene?? That would be like getting that gabbling munter Hugh Grant to play John Britten.

Hmmm?

vifferman
20th October 2004, 08:48
Sorry to be a naysayer, but the premise does little for me, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins is going to be playing the lead when there are plenty of "Authentic Kiwis" who could carry the role with ease is a touch patronising, especially from a Kiwi director. That's a very good point, and quite unpatriotic (on Donaldson's part, not yours). Perhaps he thought 'big naming' was necessary to provide a drawcard to what may be a film with potentially little universal appeal?
Pity Bruno Lawrence isn't around still; I reckon he'd have been good in this role. But then again, there are plenty of other good Kiwi actors.:niceone:

jrandom
20th October 2004, 09:05
Nonsense. Anthony Hopkins is one of the finest thespians of our time. His inclusion will give the movie a better chance of achieving greatness, or at least watchability, than a lead played by any Kiwi actor I can think of off the top of my head; would anyone like to differ and suggest names that I may have missed?

IMHO, any talk of patriotism is twaddle. Why would paying a fat fee to a single New Zealand citizen instead of Mr Hopkins do anything in particular for the country?

James Deuce
20th October 2004, 09:16
My point, and I do have one, is that this movie will not hit the great heights of moviedom due to it's niche nature. Why waste millions of dollars on Anthony Hopkins, when you could use anyone from a large list of aspiring actors and give them some exposure?

I had no idea Anthony Hopkins was a lesbian. Explains the overalls I suppose.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 09:31
My point, and I do have one, is that this movie will not hit the great heights of moviedom due to it's niche nature.

I'm not sure that such a pre-judgement is valid. It also depends what you define as 'the great heights of moviedom'. Box-office ticket sales? By that standard, about half of my own favourite movies are flops.

Film was the single most important art form of the twentieth century; perhaps it will be so in the twenty-first, too. I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.

James Deuce
20th October 2004, 09:47
I'm not sure that such a pre-judgement is valid. It also depends what you define as 'the great heights of moviedom'. Box-office ticket sales? By that standard, about half of my own favourite movies are flops.

Film was the single most important art form of the twentieth century; perhaps it will be so in the twenty-first, too. I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.

Patriotism isn't at the heart of my point - they general rule that any movie that focuses on bikes will bomb hugely is almost a truism with only, maybe, 2 exceptions which were more about society and change than bikes.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 09:59
Patriotism isn't at the heart of my point - they general rule that any movie that focuses on bikes will bomb hugely is almost a truism with only, maybe, 2 exceptions which were more about society and change than bikes.

Fairy muff.

But there's no good reason for it. Perhaps someone will buck the trend. Motorcycles are, after all, a logical replacement for the hay-eating chargers ridden by the lone heroes of tales aforetime.

And, you must admit, Mr Hopkins' inclusion raises hopes of this particular flick rising above the likes of Torque.

vifferman
20th October 2004, 10:03
I would prefer to judge works on their own merits; the most unpatriotic thing here seems to be the assumption that any film treating on the subject of motorcycles in New Zealand could not possibly be worthy of standing beside movies about larger subjects.Like whales? Or giant gorillas?
Surely a film about motorcycling is of at least as much worth as ones about some raw-fish-eating weirdo with an unhealthy obsession for jewellery? That one seemed to go down quite well, apparently.

jrandom
20th October 2004, 10:13
Like whales? Or giant gorillas?

You got it.

That one seemed to go down quite well, apparently.

The fissssssh, or the jewellery?

Midnight 82
20th October 2004, 10:16
:whistle: Like Jim2 said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :niceone:

vifferman
20th October 2004, 10:20
The fissssssh, or the jewellery?In the end / one way or another / in the final analysis / when it comes down to it / when you think about it / when all is said and done / to all intents and purposes, the whole kitten kaboodle.

Oops... did I inadvertantly let too much slip? :shifty:

2_SL0
20th October 2004, 11:30
Can I be a extra, like Pauls Holmes was in LOTR. I dont need makeup either. :lol:

Motu
20th October 2004, 21:50
I wonder if the handsome mechanic who used to work on Mrs Munro's Simca will be shown,I know a guy who could do with the fame,he's a little older,but still just as handsome.Had a friend in earlier who spent some time with Burt in the 70s at the shed,said he was a bit hard case alright.

hondav2
27th October 2004, 19:40
I met Bert Munroe at flying quarter mile on the Taieri Plains near Dunedin in the early 1970.s. He had his Velocette there and i told him I was an apprentice mechanic so he goes over to his old black Vauxhell and looks thru his spares in the boot and pulls out one of his hand made conrods, it was so light you could hardly feel the weight of it. One peice alloy with white metal bigend bearing. Unfortunately he had a mechanical failure and didnt complete a run. He was a real character and the bike trailer was very original, even had spoke bike wheels on it. He was one of New Zealands ledgends of motorcycleing and are looking orward to seeing the movie.