PDA

View Full Version : This afternoon Ride to Omaha

Winter
29th October 2007, 09:13
Hey yall.

To Celebrate this mornings passing of the test (6R!) I'm going for a ride up north, to Little Omaha Bay.

http://www.quikmaps.com/full/45899 for a look at the route, subject to change.

Starting from St Heliers Bay at 4.15ish,
Going Via Albany to pickup Raj and oggle his new bike.

Come for a ride, the weather is nice!

klingon
29th October 2007, 09:40
Yay for the 6R!

I would be tempted to come for a ride but leaving at 4:15... what time would you be getting back? might be a little late for me :baby:

Winter
29th October 2007, 09:49
Yay for the 6R!

I would be tempted to come for a ride but leaving at 4:15... what time would you be getting back? might be a little late for me :baby:

Dont know actually. I imagine an couple hours there and bout an hour back on the mway? be home by 8?

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 09:51
I'm in !

:sunny: day

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 09:54
Be at my place little before 4 mate, well leave at 4. That gives me heaps of time to study and not too keen on motorway travel lol.. might take wellsford back again... straight bits norf fun 4 R6's. Have u tried sitting on one?! rofl.

Winter
29th October 2007, 09:57
Be at my place little before 4 mate, well leave at 4. That gives me heaps of time to study
Well I have a dentist appt at 2.30,which may take an hour. If nobody else is coming I'll go straight to yours otherwise i'll have to go pick them up from wherever.

and not too keen on motorway travel lol.. might take wellsford back again... straight bits norf fun 4 R6's. Have u tried sitting on one?! rofl.

No! you wouldn't let me!

delusionz
29th October 2007, 10:07
I'm keen, How long is the trip, I'm willing to do 80km max round trip

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 10:09
No! you wouldn't let me!
Woot I'm not a selfish feller... sure u can sit on my bike even rev her up good if u want (in neutral):chase:

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 10:10

might be a bit more that that mate... more like 80 kms one way I'd say conservatively speaking. PS: wtf happened ... ur profile pic?? zomg.

Winter
29th October 2007, 10:11

Its about 65k to walkworth up the motorway.

We going the long way round, and further out than walkworth.

Probably going to be ~200k round trip.

delusionz
29th October 2007, 10:18
Okay let me go check my odometer... cause I'm pretty skint right now lol

PS. Didn't you read my accident thread? I got knocked off by a young lady who thought it was a good idea to pull a U turn at the Greenlane intersection without looking in the Right turn lane. Fucken bang!

Winter
29th October 2007, 10:21
Okay let me go check my odometer... cause I'm pretty skint right now lol

I got a spare $5. I'm sure Raj does too. That gives you $10. I'm sure you can make this trip on $10 of gas :D

delusionz
29th October 2007, 10:27
Okay 53km since the last fill, 250km range... but prolly 180km range trying to keep up with Raj lol!

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 10:38
Okay 53km since the last fill, 250km range... but prolly 180km range trying to keep up with Raj lol!

U'll have no problems there mate. I've slowed down heaps. (I didn't think that was actually possible !)... but na really ride ur own ride eh no point takin a corner as fast as me coz my bike is set up differently to urs as you can appretiate. Plus I have a fair few years more ridin experience than you.. lets have a good time... no silly offs.

delusionz
29th October 2007, 10:45
U'll have no problems there mate. I've slowed down heaps. (I didn't think that was actually possible !)... but na really ride ur own ride eh no point takin a corner as fast as me coz my bike is set up differently to urs as you can appretiate. Plus I have a fair few years more ridin experience than you.. lets have a good time... no silly offs.

Yeah just joking around mate, After my accident I lost my invincible confidence

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 10:54
Yeah just joking around mate, After my accident I lost my invincible confidence

that looked nasty mate, ur gonna hav to tell me about it today eh... something to learn from? Live and learn my friend.

delusionz
29th October 2007, 11:04
Yep yep, So I guess I'll go meet Winter at St Heliers after 4 then

EJK
29th October 2007, 11:06
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn puncture!
I woulda join you guys! :argh:

Winter
29th October 2007, 11:09
Damn puncture!

Go get it plugged :msn-wink:

Cr1MiNaL
29th October 2007, 11:09
Damn puncture!

fix puncture?

EJK
29th October 2007, 11:10
on my way to Redbaron lol

delusionz
29th October 2007, 11:41
on my way to Redbaron lol

Need a ride in my car? I caught u creepin up behind my cager the other day lol Well I think it was u neway

Pancakes
29th October 2007, 15:18
might be a bit more that that mate... more like 80 kms one way I'd say conservatively speaking. PS: wtf happened ... ur profile pic?? zomg.

He's doing his besy El Skeleto (from Nacho Libre) impression! Have a wicked ride guys. Don't limit yourself to 80k's Delusionz, 200k's on nice roads is just getting in your groove. Good to hear your sweet as now.

EJK
29th October 2007, 21:07
OK i got home safely. nice riding guys :)
good weather too :D

Winter
29th October 2007, 22:40
OK i got home safely. nice riding guys :)
good weather too :D

11.40pm and I'm home too.

Blardy good ride guys best In a long while.

I'm so stoked i made it to my beach. For some reason i haven't been there for aaaaages, and I was missing it. Tharnks for coming along on my wee detours.

delusionz
29th October 2007, 23:02
He's doing his besy El Skeleto (from Nacho Libre) impression! Have a wicked ride guys. Don't limit yourself to 80k's Delusionz, 200k's on nice roads is just getting in your groove. Good to hear your sweet as now.

It was more a question of being broke and having fuckall gas lol, But I managed to pull a bit of coin out my arse and made it along.

Man fucks sake wtf is going on with my bike aye, It keeps backfiring when I change down to 3rd from 4th (revmatched or not.) Mobil Synergy 8000 was working fine (The petrol is pink colour if this means anything) but I put in some BP Ultimate (green colour) and my exhaust was popping like pop corn (not as rapid though). There wasn't any noticible power loss though so I assume the pistons are not completely misfiring. I know the bike manual says min 91 octane, But I use premium as a safety measure for riding long distances constantly in the powerband. Never an issue on my old GPX very weird...

Cheers for the ride guys, that was great

EJK
29th October 2007, 23:21
Maybe its because your bike is "Brand New". I mean, When I bought my bike, the mechanics said not to take it over 5,400rpm for the first 2000kms.
I dunno the story but I guess the engine needs to be worn(?)/ used for sometime to open up its full potential lol

Don't worry lol Come on, your bike has 320km on the clock! lol

delusionz
29th October 2007, 23:43
Maybe its because your bike is "Brand New". I mean, When I bought my bike, the mechanics said not to take it over 5,400rpm for the first 2000kms.
I dunno the story but I guess the engine needs to be worn(?)/ used for sometime to open up its full potential lol

Don't worry lol Come on, your bike has 320km on the clock! lol

Fucking run-in periods.. blah... It's a bit hard to obey Kawasaki's 4000 rpm limit when anything over 60kph requires a 7th gear.

I think I had just gotten shitty fuel at the BP which had some crap in it which wasn't burning properly so it would exit out of the engine half unburnt and it would explode in my exhaust cans.

As I said it only started happening after that fill so I might not go to BP anymore and see if it fixes itself.

Pancakes
30th October 2007, 09:31
Lots of people think that popping on the overrun is unburnt gas in the pipes but it can be the bike at high revs and no throttle opening running lean and hot so when the fresh gas/air mix gets sucked in it hits the hot exhust valves and pops. Without seeing your bike I couldn't say but on mine if your sitting at high (near redline) revs for a bit then shut the throttle it'll pop on the overrun.

edit. PS, don't go crazy with the revs but do load the engine during run in. Your just trying to not let in valve bounce or anything but up to 80% of full revs should be fine. The rings need load to bed.

delusionz
30th October 2007, 09:57
You could be right pancakes about it popping on the valves, But it also happened after we had left from having fish & chips at Raj's and the temperature gauge at that time was at the bottom of cold. This bike also seems to run hotter than my last one by about 1/5th of the gauge when I've been running for a while. Could these things be a sign that my carburettor jets have an incorrect number of turns? I'm still inclined to think this stuff I got from a particular shitty little BP at the bottom of town heading towards the harbour bridge has something to do with it. Except for the temperature thing, higher octane should effectively cool the engine more so than regular unleaded...

My old bike used to show something like this after a full day of redline riding C[___|______]H this one seems to come up to about here C[_______|__]H after a good thrash

Pancakes
30th October 2007, 10:17
popping and running hotter, it could be running lean but dood, I'm no bike mechanic. I can say tho I'm unimpressed with all of the bike shops I've used so far, chain lube on the tyres, over filling the (normally 1500mL) oil by more than 500ml! Lots of things. You'd like to think a brand new bike (not a cool bike but they got paid for it so it shouldn't matter) would be in great shape and set up right. Unfortuantely I think that most places slap them together and get them out the door, NEXT! I love bikes but want a place I feel cares about me and my bike to service it. Would go on a day trip to get a service done. Whangarei/Hamilton easy if I though it was gonna be better than the botched jobs I've had done in Auckland. Haven't tried everywhere tho.

delusionz
30th October 2007, 11:09
Yeah I know aye. Diving forks from Mt Eden, Fuel leaning from Spectrum...

The funny thing is Mt Eden said it was perfectly normal and that I would have to pay to have it fixed, Not under 1st free service, not under warranty...

This one atleast gets a little bit stiffer when it goes down instead of just dropping to the very bottom

Pancakes
30th October 2007, 12:34
Sucks to feel like your getting taken for a ride eh, how your forks were... not how the manufacturer intended thats for sure! I called up where my bike was repaired today and told them after washing it yesterday I found there are some kinks in the frame. Got told no there aren't! I was like.. shit man, I'm looking at it and it was straight and now it's bent and I know what a friken' straight line looks like!! Anyway, meeting the NZI assesor there tomorrow to talk to him and the mechanic. Talk about pissing me off. Put me on the road on a potentially unsafe bike. I'm not happy and definately want some resolution here. Ah well, will see how tomorrow goes and if I come back pissed post pic's of the damage and name names thats for sure.

Reefer
30th October 2007, 14:58
I agree with the BP petrol and not too good on motorbike engines (98). After having it ran like crap after 3-4 fill ups from BP stations I now give them the big curve. Could very well be the problem. Dont have an issue with other stations, shell seems the best for some reason?

Pancakes
30th October 2007, 15:13
I agree with the BP petrol and not too good on motorbike engines (98). After having it ran like crap after 3-4 fill ups from BP stations I now give them the big curve. Could very well be the problem. Dont have an issue with other stations, shell seems the best for some reason?

Yeah I Used to use 98 all the time, bike seems to like Shell 95 better tho. Mmmm. I did go for a ride the other day then turn off to BP Kumeu to fill up without thinking tho. Just doesn't seem to be any more grunty for the $$'s a. Might have to try some 98 Mobil (oops, sorry mr marketing man, Mobil 8000) and see. You notice the difference on a small bike eh cos it's WOT all the way! All the gears, all the time, right up to a massive 150!

Cr1MiNaL
30th October 2007, 17:55
If it means anything I try and use BP 98 as much as I can and never have a problem. Never used 91, never will. I don't feel an increase in acceleration but then I've never WOT my bike on the road!