PDA

View Full Version : This may be a dumb question...but

Batman
21st October 2004, 17:24
I would like to know if a 1989 GSXR1100 motor will fit into the 750 frame...has anyone tried this and if so did they succeed? Also has anyone got an 1100 motor if this can be done?

Chrz in advance

Batman

James Deuce
21st October 2004, 18:01
Yes it can and yes it has. Do a google search and you will find truckloads of info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=GSXR+7/11&spell=1

I don't have a spare GSXR1100 donk though

speedpro
21st October 2004, 18:20
A mate managed to get an 1100 engine into a 600 chassis about 6 years ago. Even managed to get the plastic back on as well. There was a little bit of hammering needed to get the exhausts fitted. Very sneaky, great wheely machine.

DEATH_INC.
21st October 2004, 18:42
Yep,and they'll fit into a 400 too......and yes,it's been done :crazy:

riffer
21st October 2004, 21:28
Yep,and they'll fit into a 400 too......and yes,it's been done :crazy:
Damn - guess it's a matter of time before someone tries to put one in a two-fifty now.

Now that would be a pre-89 machine... :pinch:

pipeman
21st October 2004, 22:28
I suggest go for a 900cc motor you can't beat a short stock motor cheaper too.
When they first came out they where quiker than the GSX1100WP yes you might say no but yes basicaly same motor just shorter stroke and plus there's to many different 1100 motors out there. So stick too the basics thats what I think.

GSX1100WP t/speed 161.4 1/4 11.08@126.6
RF900R.......t/speed 164.3 1/410.92@129.7
Quotes are from Performance Bikes July 1999 &2.80 USA $6.95 NZ $12 bloody 95 cents LOLOLO :scooter:

FROSTY
22nd October 2004, 06:13
7/11 has been done so often its getting boring. Im sure thats where the japs got the idea for some of their new stuff from.
One interesting conversion is the fzr400 frame with a fzr1000 motor

DEATH_INC.
22nd October 2004, 06:35
If yer just after more power,hang a turbo on that sucker....you'll get more go than an 11 and be more unique.....

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 07:21
I would like to know if a 1989 GSXR1100 motor will fit into the 750 frame...has anyone tried this and if so did they succeed? Also has anyone got an 1100 motor if this can be done?

Chrz in advance

Batman
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/

Pretty much only site you will need for old skool suzuki and to make a 7/11 enjoy
(c:<

kerryg
22nd October 2004, 09:32
I suggest go for a 900cc motor you can't beat a short stock motor cheaper too.
When they first came out they where quiker than the GSX1100WP yes you might say no but yes basicaly same motor just shorter stroke and plus there's to many different 1100 motors out there. So stick too the basics thats what I think.

GSX1100WP t/speed 161.4 1/4 11.08@126.6
RF900R.......t/speed 164.3 1/410.92@129.7
Quotes are from Performance Bikes July 1999 &2.80 USA $6.95 NZ $12 bloody 95 cents LOLOLO :scooter:

Try www.gixxer.com as well.

It's real common and simple to graft 1100 engines into 750s but only between oil/air cooled models so far as I know. You'd want to do a bit of careful research about the practicalities of grafting a w/c engine from a later W series GSXR1100, or from an RF900, into a J model GSXR750. I suspect it might be a bit less straightforward 'cos you've got to accommodate a lot more plumbing. Anyway oil/air-cooled rules!!!!

I'd avoid the later oil/air cooled (1127cc) like L or M though ' cos they are a more fiddly with valve adjustment (buckets and shims) and run big 40mm carbies (lots of top end but at the expense of useability at low/mid range). Look out for an earlier series engine like F/G/H/J. There's lot of them around so shouldn't be hard to find one (although finding a good one might be a bit harder 'cos they've usually had a hard life). And tons of sources of performance gear.

PS Did I mention that I've got a J model 1100 (not that I'm biased :msn-wink:) with 142hp at the back wheel.......

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 09:51
Try www.gixxer.com as well.

It's real common and simple to graft 1100 engines into 750s but only between oil/air cooled models so far as I know. You'd want to do a bit of careful research about the practicalities of grafting a w/c engine from a later W series GSXR1100, or from an RF900, into a J model GSXR750. I suspect it might be a bit less straightforward 'cos you've got to accommodate a lot more plumbing. Anyway oil/air-cooled rules!!!!

I'd avoid the later oil/air cooled (1127cc) like L or M though ' cos they are a more fiddly with valve adjustment (buckets and shims) and run big 40mm carbies (lots of top end but at the expense of useability at low/mid range). Look out for an earlier series engine like F/G/H/J. There's lot of them around so shouldn't be hard to find one (although finding a good one might be a bit harder 'cos they've usually had a hard life). And tons of sources of performance gear.

PS Did I mention that I've got a J model 1100 (not that I'm biased :msn-wink:) with 142hp at the back wheel.......

www.gixxer.com not as good for old style stuff, good, its one of my othe usual hang out sites. But as long as you go air/oil 750 frame with air/oil 1100 motor you be sweet, and like kerry said tons of extra performance extras, and great to make a nice sleeper

Dodgyiti
22nd October 2004, 10:20
Coooor Blimey,
1100's into 600 frames, Woof Woof :eek5:
Westie Salute to all who try, and those who succeed :cool:

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 10:33
Coooor Blimey,
1100's into 600 frames, Woof Woof :eek5:
Westie Salute to all who try, and those who succeed :cool:

yup that been done as well, but the 600 gixxer frame not as good ast he 750 frame dc:<

Heard of a chick in the states that has put a busa motor in to her gsxr600, not thats what i call a sleeper a gsxr600 with 100hp and drop in a busa motor(with bit of work) puts out now 200hp now someone try smoking her, i think not, okay thing doesn't handle great thru the corners but alot of the yanks are in to that
they like straight line stuff

kerryg
22nd October 2004, 11:11
yup that been done as well, but the 600 gixxer frame not as good ast he 750 frame dc:<

Heard of a chick in the states that has put a busa motor in to her gsxr600, not thats what i call a sleeper a gsxr600 with 100hp and drop in a busa motor(with bit of work) puts out now 200hp now someone try smoking her, i think not, okay thing doesn't handle great thru the corners but alot of the yanks are in to that
they like straight line stuff

Yeah these 7/11 or 7/12 conversions are popular for streetfighters which are mostly (if I'm not mistaken) more about going quick in a straight line than anything else (oh..and looking cool of course). Everytone to his own, so no problem with that, but I'd be worried about the real-world useability of a GSXR750 with an 1100 donk in it. Quite a bit of extra HP (30-odd?) and those slab sider GSXR750s were pretty minimally engineered so I don't how how they handle the extra stresses associated with putting the extra HP down on the tarmac. The risk I guess is that you end up with a pretty unmanageable bike unless you invest in other stuff like frame and swingarm bracing, etc etc. Why not just go for an 1100 and if you want more bang spend the dough on cams, porting etc. Or am I missing the point?

Hitcher
22nd October 2004, 11:36
You're right... It's a dumb question.

Batman
23rd October 2004, 11:04
Yeah these 7/11 or 7/12 conversions are popular for streetfighters which are mostly (if I'm not mistaken) more about going quick in a straight line than anything else (oh..and looking cool of course). Everytone to his own, so no problem with that, but I'd be worried about the real-world useability of a GSXR750 with an 1100 donk in it. Quite a bit of extra HP (30-odd?) and those slab sider GSXR750s were pretty minimally engineered so I don't how how they handle the extra stresses associated with putting the extra HP down on the tarmac. The risk I guess is that you end up with a pretty unmanageable bike unless you invest in other stuff like frame and swingarm bracing, etc etc. Why not just go for an 1100 and if you want more bang spend the dough on cams, porting etc. Or am I missing the point?

Hey thanks for your informative input...where is the best place to find a motor though? And do you know a rough price for a good one?

Chrz

Batman

Bandito
23rd October 2004, 11:17
Hey thanks for your informative input...where is the best place to find a motor though? And do you know a rough price for a good one?

Chrz

Batman
You can also widen your search to a GSX1100F engine or even a bandit 1200 motor - same motor but tuned for more bottom grunt (read FUN) :beer:

James Deuce
23rd October 2004, 11:21

Chrz

Batman

Do a search on Google for New Zealand Motorcycle Wreckers (see link below):

http://www.google.com/search?q=New+Zealand+Motorcycle+Wreckers&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Check out Trademe as well.