PDA

View Full Version : Ak bucket tech specs?

Henk
1st November 2007, 21:42
I'm in the process of building an (uncompetitive) bucket out of an MB50. I can deal with the regs from the MNZ rule book but I'm not so sure about the Mt Wellington sup regs. I have the plastic footpegs pretty much sorted (in my head at least) but do I have to do anything with the brake pedal? I don't really want to start a cut and weld job on it since the chamber is in the way and I'm pretty sure it'll be the first thing to hit the deck if the bike takes a slide on the right hand side.
I'd also like to leave the thing running oil injection if I can. Is this possible or will I be sent home in disgrace if I turn up with a bike that has an oil tank?
Any advice appreciated.

Henk

F5 Dave
2nd November 2007, 16:35
Hi Henk I used to race on of these many years ago. Probably had the fastest best handling MB at the end.

Yes the general idea is to cover anything in plastic that may hit the deck & scratch the track. With that std setup the loop footpegs & brakelever will hit the deck & lever you off the road with predictable results. Trust me on this. It really does get you down(sic).

Casts memory back. . . I got some aftermarket folding pillion pegs & got some brackets welded direct to the frame & just shortened the gearlever. You don't want them rearset like people think you do unless you are real tall. The aftermarket pillion pegs did tend to fold over after a while, nowadays what I do is buy some steel brackets from a wrecker & then fit Emgo round tube pegs that you can jam some plastic down end. Weld or drill to fit brackets to frame. (seem to remember one side needs a plate as on an angle.

Then I used the std brake lever pivot & cut off the lever and welded on a bent piece of steel to clear over the top of the pipe. Maybe bolt a piece of plastic onto this from the inside as the brake toe end piece.

Ditch the stock seat, ideally the tank as well, but it is hard to find a tank to fit the odd frame. You won't need more than 5l for the longest race, 3 litres would be fine. Lower you get the bike the better for big improvements in handling. Welding some lower clamps to the upper triple clamp & sliding the forks through more than an inch will drastically stiffen the front & make the bike turn quicker which it desperately needs. Clip ons can be made by turning bars upside down if desperate or from welding to a couple of old bicycle headstock clamps.

If you do any work on the engine the steel reeds will flutter & fibreglass will be required (or maybe two sets of steels in a pinch).

oil injection will be fine.

Are you riding it yourself or pushing Michelle out on it?

Henk
3rd November 2007, 08:26
We'll probably both play on it to start with and see how it goes. If we both get keen I'll get an F4 bike from somewhere as Michelle is keen on the smaller feilds in F5 and that way I can mechanic for her and aviod the marital disharmony that would occur if I cleaned her out on track.
Looks like there might be a bit more work involved than I thought to start with.
For the pegs I was planning to cut the stokers off and weld the folding pillion peg brackets on and make the pegs out of some lumps of nylon I swiped off a mate. I was hoping to leave the brake lever alone. As for the rest of the bike it's going to stay stock to start with seat and all and it can become an ongoing project as neccessity and time dictate.

F5 Dave
5th November 2007, 08:42
I would reconsider the rear brake pedal if it loops under the pipe as I seem to remember it doing. Any increase in ground clearance is valuable & you will curse yourself if it tips you off. Also it is worth buying some decent tyres to start with for the same reason. Ask about I've lost touch with what works for treaded tyres these days, used to be Yoko 110sp, but out of production.

speedpro
9th November 2007, 20:03
One good thing with starting on a MB50 is that you have a really good gearbox to put in the MB100 when you get serious.
Don't listen to F5 when he gives advice about MB50s. :laugh: He got the nickname "DNF Dave" when he was racing his one.
Actually they are really good little racers, just get some good wheels (17") and chuck the best tyres on that you can get, then go for it.

FROSTY
9th November 2007, 20:22
Dude I used to race MB50's at Mt wellington.
You can make the darn things fly.
I ripped the standard swing arm bearings out and replaced em with bronze bushes. I had braces welded underneath the swingarm to cut down the flex.
I did the same sorta thing as Dave -ripped the factory "flippers" off and fitted different pegs. I used solid pegs but higher and heaps shorter.
Oil mix wise--youllbe fine but use MNZ rules re cattch tank.
Plastics wise -L shaped plastic plate under pegs. Oggie knobs on the frame -oggie knob on the back axle -plastic plugs in bar ends
Wouldnt be a bad idea screwing a plastic block under the back brake lever --I do agree with dave about the brake lever --higher and shorter is better

F5 Dave
12th November 2007, 08:45
Hey screw you Gherkin! I learnt two crucial things in that period (maybe a bit too slowly). First is if you are pushing the boundaries, don't cheap-out put buying old engines if the big end blows, it is better to rebuild a crank than run old bearings at high revs. (I was a student).

The second is never trust a woman who offers to 'clean up' your leathers. They could come back with a belittling taunt painted on the back, it tends to become an entrentched nickname pretty quickly.:weep:

speedpro
12th November 2007, 19:37
Is that DNF thing a bit of a sore point? Re the MB50 advice comment - I was kidding:innocent: Next time you see me you can give me one of these :kick:

Sully60
12th November 2007, 20:48
Is that DNF thing a bit of a sore point? Re the MB50 advice comment - I was kidding:innocent: Next time you see me you can give me one of these :kick:

Oh don't stop I was enjoying the Dave lashing.:clap:

Not many of the current Welly crew know about the DNFDave thing, I didn't but now I'll have to remind him next time he comes down to the Slipway.:lol:

F5 Dave
13th November 2007, 10:16
How's that total loss bubububub ignition working out these days Sully?:yes:

Sully60
13th November 2007, 12:15
How's that total loss bubububub ignition working out these days Sully?:yes:

Good as long as I remember my jumper leads:confused:
And depspite this I've only DNF'd twice in my whole bucket racing history, I even finished that race at Kaitoke in the rain that day.....:oi-grr:

speedpro
13th November 2007, 19:21
Good as long as I remember my jumper leads:confused:
And depspite this I've only DNF'd twice in my whole bucket racing history, I even finished that race at Kaitoke in the rain that day.....:oi-grr:

Ah yes. But is your bucket racing career as long as Dave's, or mine?

Sully60
14th November 2007, 07:37
Ah yes. But is your bucket racing career as long as Dave's, or mine?

No, but no one has sewn the letters DNF on to my leathers either:p
Anyway you started it!:p :p :p :p