PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

terbang
2nd November 2007, 03:43
Well as some already know I have taken a job in Saudi Arabia. For the next few years this will be my home away from home. I have just done my first fortnight here and it has been a bit of an eye opener. I am based in Jeddah, which is on the red sea coast about half way up the arabian peninsular. Jeddah is the gateway to Mecca which is a place of great importance to all Muslims as it is where they go to on their annual pilgrimige. Unfortunatly us non muslims are not allowed to visit Makah. The penalty for non muslim doing so, even if you accidentally fly through the airspace, is the death sentence, well so Im told. So I intend to watch which way I turn during arrivals and departures. Jeddah is a pleasant climate at this time with a moderatly humid temp of 30deg C. The diving in the Red sea is awesome with beautiful clear and warm waters. Today I woke with a heavy feeling in my head which was due to the sandstorm that we were experiencing. Wow its a strange and disorienting experience that leaves you snorting fine sand for a few hours. Next one I'l try to get some photos as its rather impressive. People here are generally friendly as long as you play it by their rules, its their country. It is completely alcohol free, not even in medication and the penalties for alcohol and drugs are high (chop chop square for the drugs). And they do random testing. So not a good place for 'P' dealers I guess. You are not allowed to practice any other sort of religion other than Islam. We are allowed to fly any route we like as long as it doesn't go through 'that place' (up to the North West) that they don't like to recognise. We are mainly flying to Europe. It is very obvious the different levels of tolerance between here and NZ. Where NZ is way too tolerant of shit heads, these guys are the other extreme. Both countries could learn a bit from each other I reckon.
I'm in the wide eyed and bushy tailed part of getting to know KSA and there is a lot to take in. I'll stop by here from time to time to update a bit more on this fascinating place and try to up load a few photos.

slowpoke
2nd November 2007, 04:14
Good on you for taking the plunge, good money or not it's a big step. Working in the oil and gas industry I've heard a few stories about Saudi and I'm sure you'll find your eyebrows climbing your forehead on a regular basis. Life, especially non-muslim life, is extremely cheap.
The general populace seem to have similar feelings to what you do regarding the hardline approach. As I understand it the American supported Saudi monarchy is a cause of great discontent, hence most of the 9/11 terrorists were Saudi Arabian.
It'll be very interesting to hear your impressions.

Meanie
2nd November 2007, 06:00
Good on you for seizing the oppurtunity, its always interesting to hear what its like to live in other countries especialy in the Muslim countries where life is so much different to what we have here
I look forward to hearing of your exploits and experiences

Grahameeboy
2nd November 2007, 06:41
Well at least in SA punishment is administered. Offenders know what is acceptable and what is not with no ambiguity like in NZ and other Countries.
As Handy Mandy says "You break it, we fix you"
Glad you are enjoying the experience.

slowpoke
2nd November 2007, 07:53
Well at least in SA punishment is administered. Offenders know what is acceptable and what is not with no ambiguity like in NZ and other Countries.

I don't think it's quite a simple as that....depending on whether you are "connected" or not, wealthy/muslim/foreign or not, male or female, the punishment can vary quite considerably and guilt is not necessarily a prerequisite for punishment.

Grahameeboy
2nd November 2007, 17:48
I don't think it's quite a simple as that....depending on whether you are "connected" or not, wealthy/muslim/foreign or not, male or female, the punishment can vary quite considerably and guilt is not necessarily a prerequisite for punishment.

Maybe but it sounds better than the system in NZ and many other countries

Kornholio
2nd November 2007, 18:02
Nice one Bruce, you never stop having little adventures do you ;)

Take care of yourself dude :D

terbang
2nd November 2007, 20:24
Hah yeah a boy scout I guess.. The womens issues here is a bit different. Our Flight attendants are all western women, they have to wear what is called an abaya, which is a black robe type aparrel that they must wear at all times in public. The local ladies wear the same and because they are muslim they have their hair covered (Hajib) which is normal however local traditions depict that most also have to cover their face and all you get to see is their eyes. One of the young lasses who works in the office here in flight crew admin is a bright and chirpy sort of a girl with a good sense of humour, I guess she is young by her demeanour and I can tell that she is a small person and thats about all apart from friendly eyes. I guess I will never get to see her but she is fun to talk to and is also very happy with her life and the way she is. Difficult to understand I know, but this is Saudi Arabia. The womans clothing is in the choices of black, black and more black, though I do notice nice womans clothing in some of the malls though its not apearing on the street. Men wear a big white sort of a thing with the typical 'rag head and fan belt' type head dress. Its just the norm and it seems very practical in this climate. Our FA's have to be a bit careful with being familiar with us males out in public or they could be categorised as a prostitute and thats not healthy at all, so they must walk behind us in public and when entering any restaurant in their company, we enter via the 'family section' rather than the singles entrance. Even us males will get into trouble if we were to wear shorts and its preferable that we wear long sleves, so it's strict and you need to keep yer guard up as there have been those who have been jailed for less. There are religious police here that have extreme powers of judgement that one wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. One of the most obvious things here is that religion rules their life entirely, muslims seem to be more muslim than christians are christian, if that makes sense. It is their way of life in all aspects, where in our world religion has become more of an add on or a sideshow thats optional, rather than all encompassing. There are some points in there that our own society could envy.
Woke this morning and we had had another sand storm in the night and everything is covered in fine dust and as it is the weekend here (Thurs and Fri) time for a dip in the red sea..

The Pastor
2nd November 2007, 22:42
nice one dude, I was thinking about getting a job over there.

Whats the money like?

Do you have to be real good at what you do?

Toaster
2nd November 2007, 22:45

Whats the money like?

Money depends on the job you are after and skills you could bring to the table.

bikerboy011
2nd November 2007, 23:40
good on ya for taking the job, Saudi is a very strict country i got a few realitives that live there, i myself was born in Qatar. Have you thought about going Dubia instead or Qatar i reackon its a better place.

The Pastor
3rd November 2007, 06:56
I was told that you had to be the best in your field to get a good job etc.

tri boy
3rd November 2007, 07:14
There are religious police here that have extreme powers of judgement that one wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of. One of the most obvious things here is that religion rules their life entirely, muslims seem to be more muslim than christians are christian, if that makes sense.

Guess I will not be visiting you then:whistle:
Hope you enjoy your stay, and can handle not having basic human freedoms.
Social scene must be a blast:sleep:
Doesn't matter how many sheikals they throw at you for being a good "servant", all work and know play makes for a shitty life.

scumdog
3rd November 2007, 07:16

Whats the money like?

Hell no!
Terbang is sort of roughly casual when it comes to driving a plane!:lol::laugh::shutup:

So you should fit right in:rofl:

pritch
3rd November 2007, 22:41
I don't think it's quite a simple as that....depending on whether you are "connected" or not,

Exactly. It works just like the old British system.

If an arab is charged he appeals to his sheik. The sheik speaks for him and the sentence is likely reduced, but he and his family owe the sheik big time. Forever.

Chop chop square is for the Philipinos and Pakistanis who do all the work in the country, but who are not "connected".

slowpoke
3rd November 2007, 22:59
Chop chop square is for the Philipinos and Pakistanis who do all the work in the country, but who are not "connected".

Yup. Where I work we hve a joint venture maintenance contract. The contractors are based in Australia and the Phillipines and as such we have a large Phillipino crew on board. They tell some real horror stories.

SPman
4th November 2007, 00:50
Like Singapore - scratch below the surface and things are not all as they seem.........

terbang
12th November 2007, 20:19
good on ya for taking the job, Saudi is a very strict country i got a few realitives that live there, i myself was born in Qatar. Have you thought about going Dubia instead or Qatar i reackon its a better place.

My company is a Saudi/American joint venture and I spend most of my time on the road. I work month on, month off and it is not uncommon to pickup or leave the aircraft anywhere in the world. For example I finish this rotation in Paris and will be flown back to my gateway which is in Auckland from there. Though Jeddah is my official base and I have a Saudi residence and work visa, I won't be spending too much time here. I have been here on my company induction and training course which has been interesting. Because people here have other important things in life, like their way of life, the business takes second place, so things happen like "Island time" which can be hard to understand for many westerners. A bunch of yanks here seem to be getting rather excited about this and the more rowdy they become, the slower things get. I've figured to just keep my phone on, enjoy the Red sea and they will call me, which they do. Works fine, I enjoy my time here and the work is exponentially more varied and interesting than my previous on the QF loco while the money continues to roll in.

terbang
12th November 2007, 23:40
I was just reading the local news paper, the english version, and there was a local ( Saudi) who took 3 others for a joyride and crashed during a drift, so they described, killing his passengers. He was sentenced to death! Good reason to drive carefull I guess.

Meanie
13th November 2007, 06:05
I was just reading the local news paper, the english version, and there was a local ( Saudi) who took 3 others for a joyride and crashed during a drift, so they described, killing his passengers. He was sentenced to death! Good reason to drive carefull I guess.

Thats one hell of a severe punishment

Dave-
13th November 2007, 07:14
wouldn't mind living in dubai

Pixie
13th November 2007, 09:35

Dubia = The state of being Dubious