PDA

View Full Version : Awesome car drivers

Dave-
2nd November 2007, 22:32
im sick to fuckin' death of the aucklanders moaning about almost getting knocked off by some incompetent driver.

so here's my thread on awesome car drivers.

I was cruising along moorehouse ave the other week, and I stopped at the lights by at durham, I'm sitting there foot down when the asian cabbie next to me says loudly "MATE! MATE!" I look over, he points and says "your stand is down!"

I look down and sure enough it's down...but it's so weird because i had defiantly put the stand up, I may have bumped it when i had just put my foot down, who knows? either way I knock it back up smile and yell my thanks

as i ride off over that slight up hill bit i think that it might've touched the road here and spun me over and under the wheels of the car behind me...thanks to that cabbie I'm definetly still here.

on my way home from work last night I pulled up to a T intersection I was turning left and there was a cue of cars turning right in the opposite direction, I had to give way, I slow down and start crawling trying to keep my balance, the 3rd car is a middle aged women who smiles and points for me to go, even though it's not my turn.

that's all i can remember for now.

I love cagers, I think we should celebrate our 4 wheeled kin.

The Pastor
2nd November 2007, 22:36
im sick to fuckin' death of the aucklanders moaning about almost getting knocked off by some incompetent driver.

I was cruising along moorehouse ave the other week, and I stopped at the lights by at durham, I'm sitting there foot down when the asian cabbie next to me says loudly "MATE! MATE!" I look over, he points and says "your stand is down!"

I look down and sure enough it's down...but it's so weird because i had defiantly put the stand up, I may have bumped it when i had just put my foot down, who knows? either way I knock it back up smile and yell my thanks

as i ride off over that slight up hill bit i think that it might've touched the road here and spun me over and under the wheels of the car behind me...thanks to that cabbie I'm definetly still here.

on my way home from work last night I pulled up to a T intersection I was turning left and there was a cue of cars turning right in the opposite direction, I had to give way, I slow down and start crawling trying to keep my balance, the 3rd car is a middle aged women who smiles and points for me to go, even though it's not my turn.

are you alright? you sound like your high dide

Toaster
2nd November 2007, 22:41
Why in heck would we want to celebrate cagers in a biker forum is beyond me!!

They can go screw themselves.... many are inconsiderate day dreamers that don't even bother to look for bikers.

The best cagers are the ones that also ride bikes... they know how to show proper consideration for us on the road, like pulling a bit left to allow you to pass safely.

Boob Johnson
2nd November 2007, 22:56
*forms a posse to take a level 9 smack down on Dave* :girlfight: :laugh:

But yeah seriously now, there are some decent cagers out there.

Never met any myself :whistle: :bleh:

Winter
3rd November 2007, 00:43
I took my cage to work this evening. I saw a few bikers on the way.

I didn't swerve all over the road like a drunk who needs to piss.
I indicated for three seconds before turning / changing lanes.
I didn't sit at the lights and rev my engine to try race the bike from the line.
I merged, Like a zip.
I drove at a speed apropriate for the conditions.

There are decent cagers out there. I'll bet they all ride bikes too tho!

Patch
3rd November 2007, 02:55
Ahhh Dave, I think you need to get out more :blink:

An idiot is an idiot, doesn't matter what he/she drives/rides.

I can understand why some cages get pissed off with bikes tho, especially when (most that I have seen) split the lanes all the way up to the front of the lights and cut the front car off. I call them suicide runners.

I almost ran one cock over (who did that to me) when I was in my 4X4. There is no need for it and its bloody dangerous.

Farkin idiots are everywhere.

mrchips
3rd November 2007, 06:09
There is good & bad in everyone.

I've always been a considerate driver, especially driving a car with bikers on the road, but that probably comes from my brother having a bike way back.

It is unfortunate that some cage drivers don't understand how vulnerable we are on the back of a bike, i guess that comes down to driver education.

Being a noob at all this - it's been so far so good but then again i take the attitude that everyone is out to get me.. even when i'm in my car.

ride safe everyone, like your life depends on it.:chase:

deanohit
3rd November 2007, 07:16
There are decent cagers out there. I'll bet they all ride bikes too tho!
Too bloody right!!

Generally I find most truckies are onto it, while mini van drivers, :angry2:. Went to Hamihole yesterday in the cage, coming over the Kaimais, all the trucks are moving out of the way (thanks guys!) while the bastards in the mini vans are holding me back on the way up and down the other side.:finger: Bloody was 15minutes late to the airport cause of idiot drivers. :argh:

Patch
3rd November 2007, 07:29
are you sure it wasn't the mofo who left late?? :dodge:

idb
3rd November 2007, 08:29
Why in heck would we want to celebrate cagers in a biker forum is beyond me!!

They can go screw themselves.... many are inconsiderate day dreamers that don't even bother to look for bikers.

The best cagers are the ones that also ride bikes... they know how to show proper consideration for us on the road, like pulling a bit left to allow you to pass safely.

You don't drive a car then?

Weaver
3rd November 2007, 08:33
I didn't sit at the lights and rev my engine to try race the bike from the line.

Oh...so i'm not supposed to drag off the 250's in my 3ltr V6? :bleh:

I dont do this when they are sitting between to cars though. Only when the bike has its own lane

Winter
3rd November 2007, 08:42
Oh...so i'm not supposed to drag off the 250's in my 3ltr V6? :bleh:

I dont do this when they are sitting between to cars though. Only when the bike has its own lane

Sure, if the bike has its own lane, and is aware of whats going on.

He's still the winner, because you just drank $12 worth of gas to get 50m down the road, and looked like a right plonker in the process.

Chickadee
3rd November 2007, 08:44
Glad to see a positive spin on cager threads.

We have had good and bad experiences, but the good ones out weigh the wankerish behaviour of the few. Many stop to ask if you need a hand if they see you stopped, some move out of the way for you to pass. Good on the good guys and gals in cages.

yungatart
3rd November 2007, 08:54
There are some great car drivers out there. They show consideration for all road users.
There are some great motorcyclists out there too.
Unfortunately , we will always have tossers out there as well. I guess the trick is to know the difference.

Ivan
3rd November 2007, 08:59
I Commute in my car I see why people get fucked off,

These dicks on there bikes, Screaming through rush hourtraffic in morning and at night at excessive speeds lane splitting blocking cars off,

Racing one another,

I cant be bothered with that rubbishso if they ride like a dick through traffic I wontlet them past,

I travel rimas And see dicks passing round corners!!!!!

And hanging off in jeans with there knee just of the deck I mean come on you get whats coming to ya cept I dont want a knee cap in my window

nadroj
3rd November 2007, 09:01
Don't you just love it when a real hard core prick on a Harley lane splits up to the front of the cue on a 2 laner at a set of lights, and is between you and another cage, and the lights go green? But most of all when he fluffs his jump on you at the lights and is stranded between 2 lanes of moving traffic.:whistle:

Winter
3rd November 2007, 09:04
I cant be bothered with that rubbishso if they ride like a dick through traffic I wontlet them past,

So why are you the sole gate keeper of the roads deciding who can and can't get past you? Sounds like a bloody troll to me.

Swerving out of your lane to block a bike is petty and downright dangerous.
One day you'll misjudge how far behind you and then you'll really have a neecap in your window.

Usarka
3rd November 2007, 09:20
If a cager knows that its dangerous enough to warn you about having your stand down then id suggest he has a bike in his garage at home......

Toaster
3rd November 2007, 09:52
You don't drive a car then?

Of course I do but I don't feel the need to celebrate them "in general".

The authour of the thread grizzled about the grizzly KBers having a go at poor Auckland drivers.... well, they have plenty to grizzle about. The average skill and attention level of drivers in the Auckland metro area is quite poor and certainly a real and ever present danger to motorcyclists.

Some people are too busy trying to get where they want to go in higher traffic volumes so they do stupid things and rush about.... "looking for bikes" often and I do mean often goes out the window.

megageoff76
3rd November 2007, 10:11
Shouldn't the side stand switch have stopped the engine when your stand was down though?

idb
3rd November 2007, 13:54
Of course I do but I don't feel the need to celebrate them "in general".

The authour of the thread grizzled about the grizzly KBers having a go at poor Auckland drivers.... well, they have plenty to grizzle about. The average skill and attention level of drivers in the Auckland metro area is quite poor and certainly a real and ever present danger to motorcyclists.

Some people are too busy trying to get where they want to go in higher traffic volumes so they do stupid things and rush about.... "looking for bikes" often and I do mean often goes out the window.

So how's the average skill and attention level of bike riders in the Auckland metro area?
You should ride to the conditions and if that means that you're likely to encounter hordes of drivers swerving all over the road, texting, pulling out of side streets or whatever then you take that into account when you're riding.

An inattentive biker is more likely to come off second best than an inattentive car driver, the only difference between them is the vehicle they are operating.

And how many times do you come across these plonkers during a journey, compared to the number of cars that you shared the road with that didn't cause you a problem?

Usarka
3rd November 2007, 14:17
So how's the average skill and attention level of bike riders in the Auckland metro area?

An inattentive biker is more likely to come off second best than an inattentive car driver, the only difference between them is the vehicle they are operating.

I can't see that innatentive bikers would survive in Auckland. Most days I need to deal with some one who's trying to kill or maim me.

It's not just poor drivers, there are plenty of drivers in Auckland who will openly admit to acts such as swerving to block overtaking motorcyclists etc.

mitchilin
3rd November 2007, 14:56
I had a guy in a ute waving at me out the window, basically telling me not to pass.So I hung back and just around the next bend was a van speed camera.He saved me a couple of hundred,so I reckon they're not all bad.My bike spat the chain down the north western once and some guy in a stationwagon stopped and we chucked the bike and he took me home.But they were probably bikers anyway.

Toaster
3rd November 2007, 15:23
You should ride to the conditions and if that means that you're likely to encounter hordes of drivers swerving all over the road, texting, pulling out of side streets or whatever then you take that into account when you're riding.

And how many times do you come across these plonkers during a journey, compared to the number of cars that you shared the road with that didn't cause you a problem?

Of course there are plonkers on bikes - without a doubt! Look at the idiots that bin their bikes and then think its a worthy thread to gain rep from as if its some kind of game. The number of cars and other non-bike vehicles on the road well outnumber the bikes and pose a greater risk to bikes if a collision occurs, we all know that and need to ride safely to survive.

Of course bikers need to be very attentive because of the risks. However, bikers are perfectly entitled to grumble about poor car drivers if they wish. Its a biker thread for goodness sake and ranting is part of this website as much as jokes, bike information and mechanical tips. If you don't like it, bugger off.

Dave-
3rd November 2007, 15:57
celebrate? I'm not asking for a fuckin public holiday here (although there are too few at this time of year...)

I wonder though, your average car driver is just a car driver, they dont enjoy t they dont hate it, a motorcyclist would (i hope) enjoy motorcycling, and what you enjoy you want to do well at.

I wonder if they go on about "fucking motorcyclists" in the boy racer forums, or are we too much of a minority, or are they actually too stupid?

Fatjim
3rd November 2007, 16:20
I just want to say thank you to the blind bitch that almost sideswiped me on the interchange the other day and the retard who blocked the Terrace off ramp because he wanted to be in the middle lane but somehow for reasons unknown was in the right hand lane. We all didn't mind waiting for him.

fireliv
3rd November 2007, 16:38
THere are good cages, there are bad cages

Just like there are good motorcyclist, and then there are the assholes.

Basicly you cant sterotype, just take each as it comes

Fatjim
3rd November 2007, 18:19
You don't need to stereotype to get sideswiped by some dumb bitch who doesn't look.

Dave-
3rd November 2007, 18:27
I also think we tend to exagurate, perhaps even the truth, definetly our own actions, but mostly the sheer number of stupid drivers.

I'm gonna say there's more motorcyclists than there are bad car drivers.

Neon
3rd November 2007, 19:10
I wonder though, your average car driver is just a car driver, they dont enjoy t they dont hate it, a motorcyclist would (i hope) enjoy motorcycling, and what you enjoy you want to do well at.

I think there is a lot of truth in this. People mostly drive cages out of necessity, whereas bikers seem to make a concious decision to take to the streets on two wheels.

It just follows that there are a lot of people driving cages who would rather be somewhere else, and probably are at least in a mental capacity.

Renegade
3rd November 2007, 19:56
I travel rimas And see dicks passing round corners!!!!!

And hanging off in jeans with there knee just of the deck I mean come on you get whats coming to ya cept I dont want a knee cap in my window

it would make a good ash tray though or a new chew toy for the dog!!

raster
3rd November 2007, 20:45
I am very impressed with many cagers, I ride to work on the motorway each morning and have no problem with 95% of cagers, as long I respect them as much as I expect them to respect me.

Usarka
3rd November 2007, 22:54
I I have no problem with 95% of cagers

It only takes 1 to kill you.

idb
4th November 2007, 09:33
Of course there are plonkers on bikes - without a doubt! Look at the idiots that bin their bikes and then think its a worthy thread to gain rep from as if its some kind of game. The number of cars and other non-bike vehicles on the road well outnumber the bikes and pose a greater risk to bikes if a collision occurs, we all know that and need to ride safely to survive.
I agree totally

Of course bikers need to be very attentive because of the risks. However, bikers are perfectly entitled to grumble about poor car drivers if they wish. Its a biker thread for goodness sake and ranting is part of this website as much as jokes, bike information and mechanical tips. If you don't like it, bugger off.
Now you're confused...you're the one complaining about this being a non-bike related thread, not me.
I'd suggest that the non-biking threads would almost out-number the biking threads on this forum.
Maybe you should be doing the buggering.

I get bored with the "they're all out to kill us" mantra so often spouted.
If that was the case why would anyone want to get on a bike at all, we've got no chance.

Toaster
4th November 2007, 11:29
I agree totally

Now you're confused...you're the one complaining about this being a non-bike related thread, not me.
I'd suggest that the non-biking threads would almost out-number the biking threads on this forum.
Maybe you should be doing the buggering.

I get bored with the "they're all out to kill us" mantra so often spouted.
If that was the case why would anyone want to get on a bike at all, we've got no chance.

I think we are both on the same page mate, just slightly different view points... oh and I prefer pictures....

Agreed, the mantra as you stated it is definitely OTT, but then some do get a bit carried away in their views! Time for a cold one soon after cleaning the wee scooter. :beer::beer::beer:

unrealone
4th November 2007, 12:11

May I ask why your bike still went into gear in the first place with the stand down? :/

Dave-
5th November 2007, 22:12
May I ask why your bike still went into gear in the first place with the stand down? :/

you can but I cannot answer...like i said, I may have knocked it when i stopped at the lights...but you'd think I'd notice...it's never happened before or since..

I let a cager in today, was a doctor in his big fuck off holden, T intersection with lights and he was pulling out of a driveway right beside the lights, so i pulled up behind the first car, they turned green and i waved him out.

I knew it was a doctor because he was coming out of a clinic room and looked like a doctor.

doctors are awesome, if you cannot be courteous to a doctor then you're a dick.

Lucy
6th November 2007, 01:32
I had a lady jump out of her 4WD in Auckland and come running up to me at the lights to tell me that one of my bungee cords was hanging off the back.

And my bike starts all the time with the side stand down.

Another time a guy at a gas station warned me about another bungee cord come loose, and even picked it up for me when I asked him too as I was too lazy to get off and do it myself.

Bass
6th November 2007, 08:21
I am very impressed with many cagers, I ride to work on the motorway each morning and have no problem with 95% of cagers, as long I respect them as much as I expect them to respect me.

Me too.
I have never understood the need to lump everyone together on the basis of what they drive.
I would have thought that it is obvious to all, that there are sensible motorists and there are jerks out there. There are even those who (like me) are capable of being both, depending on how they feel at the time.

The biggest problem of course, is defining jerk type behaviour - it varies hugely from person to person.

I don't know if the proportions have anything to do with the chosen mode of transport. However if I was pressed to make an observation, I would say that bike riders show a higher degree of jerk type behaviour than any other motoring group (and yes, from time to time, that includes me). So to some extent at least, IMHO if we are abused on the road, we have been the authors of our own misfortune.

When I had my "off" a couple of years back and was sitting in the ditch with busted ribs and a bent thumb, the first 2 cars to go past stopped and helped. The first guy, went well out of his way and took me to the nearest medical centre. The second guy organised a Towie to come and collect my bike. He also stayed there until the bike had been collected.
I couldn't have asked for better treatment.

Griff
6th November 2007, 08:22
.... And my bike starts all the time with the side stand down. ....

I think we have a potential :blank: "Mythbusters" :blank: issue here...

Leave the stand down, put your bike into gear and slowly let out the clutch..

Then tell us all what happens.

NordieBoy
6th November 2007, 08:57

You move forward?

None of my VT250, XR250, Nordwests, SR185 had the side stand linked to anything.
Only my DR650 has the cutout switch standard.

Griff
6th November 2007, 09:02
You move forward?

None of my VT250, XR250, Nordwests, SR185 had the side stand linked to anything.
Only my DR650 has the cutout switch standard.

Wow! No CutOut Switch? That is soo crap.

Did you actually move forward or did you do tiny little circles?

saltydog
6th November 2007, 10:41
There are some great car drivers out there. They show consideration for all road users.
There are some great motorcyclists out there too.
Unfortunately , we will always have tossers out there as well. I guess the trick is to know the difference.

And how many incidents are caused by biker on biker? Fark-all I'd guess.
To the mad aucklanders pulling mavovourers infront of cagers........ it pisses them off and doesn't do much for relations. Expect them to nut-off. To be an on to it biker these days we need eyes in the back of our heads as well as scanning every side road, entrance etc........ never try to anticipate our 4 wheeled friends....espicially at round abouts.

Clockwork
6th November 2007, 12:34
I Commute in my car I see why people get fucked off,

These dicks on there bikes, Screaming through rush hourtraffic in morning and at night at excessive speeds lane splitting blocking cars off,

Racing one another,

I cant be bothered with that rubbishso if they ride like a dick through traffic I wontlet them past,....

Sorry but IMO this is just petty and unbecomming of a motorcyclist. I had someone behave like this to me recently.... so I passed him on the other side, judging from the sound of his horn this pissed him off no end!! :clap:

On the whole though, I find that commuting in Wellington, there are way more drivers that will make room for me to pass than those that actively try to get in my way. :2thumbsup

Str8 Jacket
6th November 2007, 12:43

With every bike I have owned (GN250, KR150 and FZR400) it doesnt make any difference if the side stand is down or not. The bike still moves forward....

Lucy
6th November 2007, 12:46

Well, I am getting better at trying to remember to put it up before I take off, but what normally happens when I do the above, is I ride a long for a bit (in a straight line) and then there is a scraping sound as I ride down the driveway of the gas station or wherever, and I think 'Oh doh, I left the stand down AGAIN", so I kick it up and continue on.

Be a short Mythbusters segment!

Finn
6th November 2007, 12:47
I took my SUV to work this morning because I was still pissed when I woke up after a bender last night. This way if I hit anything, no worries, I'll be okay.

When I got to work, I did notice parts of a scooter in the grill but I did drive past the University so it was probably only a student.

Griff
6th November 2007, 13:09
I took my SUV to work this morning because I was still pissed when I woke up after a bender last night. This way if I hit anything, no worries, I'll be okay.

When I got to work, I did notice parts of a scooter in the grill but I did drive past the University so it was probably only a student.

I trust you will do the "Right Thing" and place the Scooter parts on TradeMe.

Finn
6th November 2007, 13:14
I trust you will do the "Right Thing" and place the Scooter parts on TradeMe.

Sure, after I hose off the student parts.

Fatjim
6th November 2007, 16:50
yuk, aint that called necrophilia.

homer
6th November 2007, 21:32
dont you just ride a bike and then when your in the cage you just drive it as if you were on a bike ........
well works for me .

_intense_
6th November 2007, 22:31
[QUOTE=Boob Johnson;1276216]*forms a posse to take a level 9 smack down on Dave*[QUOTE]

FREAKIN AWESOME!!

a posse, im soo there