PDA

View Full Version : Race van has blown head gasket- know a cheap mechanic?

TonyB
3rd November 2007, 17:00
BLOODY HELL!!! I only needed the fricken thing for a few more weeks, but the head gasket in my van has blown. I just got a HUGE quote to fix it- more than the bloody things worth. The timing couldn't be worse- we're selling our house and buying a new one- money and time are tight and the van would have been real handy right now...:mad:

Does anyone in Christchurch know of a cheap mechanic who can fix it up? Otherwise she's off to the wreckers.

davereid
3rd November 2007, 17:09
What kind of van is it ? A head gasket is not a big job on most vans, it may be within your ability to do it yourself with a bit of help from a KBer

TonyB
3rd November 2007, 17:23
Its a 1986 Toyota Master Ace. the problem is time- I don't really have the time to piss about with it. I'm moving house in about 4 weeks

FROSTY
3rd November 2007, 17:27
Shit mate iffn you were here you could borrow mine--tis all legal beagal now

k14
3rd November 2007, 18:07
Its a 1986 Toyota Master Ace. the problem is time- I don't really have the time to piss about with it. I'm moving house in about 4 weeks
How badly is it blown? Maybe try some of that radiator stop leak stuff? Nothing to loose.

TonyB
3rd November 2007, 18:29
The coolant is frothing in the radiator and its misfiring. I reckon that puts it beyond the point of a cheap fix.

k14
3rd November 2007, 21:42
Just keep topping it up with water, she'll be right.

WarlockNZ
3rd November 2007, 22:34
get your hands on a head gasket and a torque wrench ... no more than 2 hours to replace a head gasket for someone that has never done one before ...