PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild from the air!

mattathm
3rd November 2007, 17:43
Heres one of manfield from the air for those of you that dont have access to an airplane or google earth.... hehehehe

sorry about the shadow.

skelstar
3rd November 2007, 18:06
Shit I want to ride that long track sometime. Looks awesome.

chanceyy
3rd November 2007, 18:13
great pic for sure ... :yes: looks awesome from the air

Fatjim
3rd November 2007, 18:21
Pah!, nowhere to land my private jet!

Kendog
3rd November 2007, 21:46
The extended bit looks like fun, I never realised how long that bit was.

WarlockNZ
3rd November 2007, 22:15
Having had the privilege of riding a couple of laps of manfield, i can honestly say , i loved every second of it ... even the brown pants moment at the hairpin LOL ..

That is an awesome shot!

NZsarge
3rd November 2007, 22:18
Yeah, interesting...somewhat lack off run off areas though.

limbimtimwim
3rd November 2007, 22:20
The extended bit looks like fun, I never realised how long that bit was.It is! Totally transforms the track from 3 dragstrips into something much more interesting.

Kendog
3rd November 2007, 22:21
Why is the extended bit used so little for bike track days?

ArcherWC
4th November 2007, 08:09
noise, the extended bit goes too near to houses

Kickaha
4th November 2007, 08:22
noise, the extended bit goes too near to houses

I thought it was mainly the extra cost? because looking at that photo it doesn't really get any nearer the houses than the last corner onto the front straight

007XY
4th November 2007, 08:25
cheers dude, i tried google earth before we went down but the resolution wasn't clear..

ArcherWC
4th November 2007, 08:27
After looking at the pic you are probably right.

I was also told it was because of the extra marshalls required

Skunk
4th November 2007, 10:37
After looking at the pic you are probably right.

I was also told it was because of the extra marshalls required
Cost, and marshals. To hire that bit was going to cost $1500-2000 extra when I looked into it. The extension is flat (no banking at all) which makes it quite different to ride.

MD
4th November 2007, 12:52
We got plenty of full track days a few years back when they ran car-bike days combined. $40 bucks was all it cost. What I heard was that they didn't want inexperienced boy racers to have a full run down the long back straight ,only to discover that they can't control their car at 200kph+ into the corner. So they used the extension to side track them and reduce their speeds.
The extension was much more fun than the basic track. That last left hand sweeper as you rejoin the back straight was the best part for me. It just went on and on... Handy to get some serious left side tyre use in when most of the other corners wear out the right side.
Shame they dropped those car-bike days when stricter rules stopped general public boy racers being allowed onto the track. That's the story, send them out onto public roads instead :brick:.

quickbuck
4th November 2007, 17:23
Yep, the extension is 1.6k. Makes total length 4.6k.
It turns it into a Jekyll and Hyde circuit, but as said, the 270 degree "Iplex" (Original name from original sponsor, Hardy), is a blast. 1st all the way to 5th while cranked over!

I have seen a massive bin (from the marshalling point in the top corner, Dunlop) where a GSXR1100 (91 model I think) went into a HUGE slapper as it came back onto the old circuit. The slap went for a couple of hundreds metres before the rider got biffed, and the bike went into self destruct mode.
The rider was very concerned about the fairing blade he had just imported from the states. Never mind the rest of the bike there fella.

As for apparent lack of run off, well there is actually HEAPS!
I have out braked myself on almost every corner on the new bit, and never actually been off road. Even if I put it down, there would be heaps of room between the track and fence.

DVS 69
6th November 2007, 10:14
I thought they didnt use it for bikes as the extension has no camber whatso ever. Ive done about 8-10 trackdays at manfield and never been on the extended track. I was told it was quite different to ride on coming off the main track cos the extension is actualy flat and has no camber ........... In saying that it dont take much to lead me astray:yes:

limbimtimwim
6th November 2007, 11:38
I thought they didnt use it for bikes as the extension has no camber whatso ever. Ive done about 8-10 trackdays at manfield and never been on the extended track. I was told it was quite different to ride on coming off the main track cos the extension is actualy flat and has no camber ........... In saying that it dont take much to lead me astray:yes:It's true, it's very flat. But it is used by the Vic Club winter series in at least one meeting.

It's really good, it's great fun on my rvf400.

Toast
9th November 2007, 09:07
No run off? That place is sweet, heaps of run off. Only concern maybe is the first right hander of the new section, as it's quite fast, and there might be a bit of body on wall impact. if you came off there.

I love riding on the new section, camber or no.

How old is this photo?Looks like the hairpin has been resurfaced in this pic.