PDA

View Full Version : WRB coverage on Sunday Herald

Zapf
3rd November 2007, 22:47
Note: Sunday Herald should have an extensive article on the WRB and our protest. The proof is in the puding they say....

WarlockNZ
4th November 2007, 00:04
Good to see my idea has born fruit :)

not the ride ... but getting in touch with the Herald, it's about time those reporters actually got off there asses and went out and covered a story, instead of just rehashing a wire report.

I for one will look forward to reading it :)

fliplid
4th November 2007, 12:12
Tried to find anything in the online version...
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10473918
No mention online of the ride though.
Will see if I can get hold of a paper copy- in anticipation!

El Dopa
4th November 2007, 14:01
Well, if a small sidebar at the bottom left of one of the deep internal pages (7 or 8, something like that) counts as an 'extensive article', then yes, they came up trumps.

[sigh] At least they didn't make any glaring errors that I could see.

Sanx
4th November 2007, 16:18
Well, if a small sidebar at the bottom left of one of the deep internal pages (7 or 8, something like that) counts as an 'extensive article', then yes, they came up trumps.

[sigh] At least they didn't make any glaring errors that I could see.

Apart from spelling Felix's (Zapf) last name wrong, that is.

Zapf
4th November 2007, 21:23
I think the Tax cut and Action from the protest at the Labour party meeting got the attention, hence we were sidelined for that reason.

You don't get interviewd by Assistance Editors spending hours and asking heaps of questions and photos just to put in a sideline.

Note: can someone scan the paper and post it on here?

candor
4th November 2007, 22:05
Earlier today there was a decent sized article by the Herald published to the net. It seems to have disappeared.

It had stuff about Felix getting counseling and how the cheese cutter works in detail. It was a good article and had no mention of speed or any such rubbish. Just said that Dan had lost control and both bike and him ended worse off due to the WRB. It looked too big to be a sidebar?!

Ixion
4th November 2007, 22:16
How odd. There was a link to it in this thread earlier . Which seems to have disappeared also.

crashe
4th November 2007, 22:24
Here is the link:

Struggle to erase 'horror movie' crash scene
5:00AM Sunday November 04, 2007
By Carolyne Meng-Yee

The man who witnessed the horrific death of his motorcycling friend on Auckland's Southern Motorway says he is struggling to erase the "horror movie" crash scene.

Felix Sang, 29, yesterday led a motorcycle protest against the wire barriers that cut 21-year-old Daniel Evans in half in a Labour weekend crash.

Sang, Evans and another friend were enjoying an early morning ride on the motorway, when Evans lost control, was flung from his motorbike and on to the wire barrier. He was killed instantly, his body severed by the barrier's "cheese cutter" effect.

"My first words were 'oh my God', because it was something you think you will see in horror movies," says Sang. "I was shocked and in disbelief ... "

Sang is undergoing counselling for what he witnessed, but says he's struggling to get the scene out of his head.

He believes Evans could still be alive if there had been normal concrete barriers in place.

"Those [wire] barriers are made of steel wire ... If a human body is in contact with it, the body folds around it. Because of that force being folded around a small contact point, it is ripped up - just like how a cheese cutter goes through cheese.

"If it was a concrete barrier, there is nothing to catch on."

Zapf
4th November 2007, 23:07
Earlier today there was a decent sized article by the Herald published to the net. It seems to have disappeared.

It had stuff about Felix getting counseling and how the cheese cutter works in detail. It was a good article and had no mention of speed or any such rubbish. Just said that Dan had lost control and both bike and him ended worse off due to the WRB. It looked too big to be a sidebar?!

See if you can go thru your browser's history to find the link, usually they remove the link but the story is still floating some where.

Here is the link:

I think this is the small one in the side bar.

candor
5th November 2007, 12:16
The history only has about ten previous sites, so no luck. What I saw was the above article but a little tiny bit more in it I think. As it did mention the bike getting split from memory.

Anyway the two articles I spotted covered the most important points for educating the Public, so the right words / messages were put out there which organisers can be proud of - with such fast organisation it could easily have screwed up.

Now keep on transmitting - repetition over and over of the basic message. Until everyone has heard & registered.

Ozzie
5th November 2007, 19:29
Manukau City Courier called me this morning, for a supposed "front page update", and find out how many attended, clarity on what it was for, will see how that goes.

The same mob do all the southern city couriers, so if it is in one, hopefully all, so some coverage in Auckland papers at least.

And...

They are delivered, free!

Ozzie
7th November 2007, 17:40
NOT

Papakura Courier was in the mail box today, the following was on the front page under a bold "Latest" heading.....

Latest
Biker Protest
About 350 motorcyclists protested against "cheesecutter" median barriers in a rally from Ramarama to Auckalnd Domain on Saturday.
Motorcyclist Daniel Evans, 21, was killed when he hit on of the barriers near Papakura in October.

End

Better than nothing, but, unfortunately, no mention of the website, so maybe a note for future reference.

If in contact with media, ask them to make reference to the site such as "more information on the purpose and activities in relation to this campain is available at, www.cheesecutter.co.nz"