PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Scaredy Cat
22nd October 2004, 07:10
Hi,

I just found this forum. I am a novice I don't know much about bikes apart from the ones that you peddle.

I am thinking about getting a moped/scooter for going from home to work etc. I am looking at the Suzuki SJ50QT. I went for a test drive last night and it was really good I didn't fall off and I had good balance as I do a lot of cycling. So what do you think, I haven't riden a bike before but I reckon I did pretty good for the first time. If I was to get one I would take it quietly for the first couple of weeks getting the balance right and confidence on some nice quiet streets before I even thought of going anywhere buzy.

Hopefully I have chosen the right forum and that you wont laugh at me for having a scooter :-). It was funny when I mentioned getting a scooter to other people they all said, don't get one its to dangerous etc.

Scaredy Cat

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 07:13
Welcome

Scooters are fun, nice and easy around town, i will most likley get another one when i move closer to town, instead of running aorund town on the gixxer, which arn't good for them

Two Smoker
22nd October 2004, 07:13
Hey welcome to the two wheeled club :niceone: there isnt anything wrong with a scooter (theres a photo of Motoracer pulling a wheelie on one somewhere....) Im glad you enjoyed your first experience on two wheels :niceone:

wari
22nd October 2004, 07:30
HUllo ... :spudwave:

DOit ... yeah doit .. :yeah:

JUst dont gett distracted by these onthe side ofthe road ..==> :moon:

Joni
22nd October 2004, 07:33
Hello... welcome.
:spudwave:

manuboy
22nd October 2004, 07:35
Yeah nice one Wari, was wondering how you were gonna slip that one in (maybe i should rephrase that?), but as usual you handled it with applomb. Pure class.

Scaredy cat - last time i was in dunners was a wee while back, but i'm assuming you live in a slightly "flatter" area? Can see a scooter struggling a little on some of those hills eh.... depending on ya weight of course....

Scaredy Cat
22nd October 2004, 07:45
Hi all,

Yep I live in a slightly flatter area of town and work is on the flat, so it wont be a problem. I also dont weigh to much so that will help as well.

I only have my learners car licence at the moment so I thought a scooter would be a good idea. My husband has the car everyday to drive out to work in Mosgiel and I get sick of catching the bus (useless timetable) or cycling to work in the rain (I am always getting sick after doing that). At least if I had a scooter I can get home when I want to, and will hopefully get less wet than if I was on the bicycle though I doubt it. I guess I would have to get some good wet weather gear.

By the way wari I thought your smilie was funny :)

Thanks for your replies

Posh Tourer :P
22nd October 2004, 09:19
Yeah a couple of things - firstly, scooter is probably more visible and less dangerous than a bicycle I reckon....
Secondly, its still not as visible as a larger bike. But if you ride a bicycle, I'm sure you know about visibility issues.

Getting wet is nicer on a bicycle, cos you are doing something. On a scooter/motorbike, you just sit there as you get wet... ugh
I reccommend you get at least a motorcycle jacket for riding to work, if not pants as well. If you get good gear, it'll be waterproof anyway... Its weird how lycra is acceptable on a bicycle at 60kmh, but not on a motorbike :wacko:

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 10:00
Yeah a couple of things - firstly, scooter is probably more visible and less dangerous than a bicycle I reckon....
Secondly, its still not as visible as a larger bike. But if you ride a bicycle, I'm sure you know about visibility issues.

Getting wet is nicer on a bicycle, cos you are doing something. On a scooter/motorbike, you just sit there as you get wet... ugh
I reccommend you get at least a motorcycle jacket for riding to work, if not pants as well. If you get good gear, it'll be waterproof anyway... Its weird how lycra is acceptable on a bicycle at 60kmh, but not on a motorbike :wacko:

very true about lycra PT

Ms Piggy
22nd October 2004, 10:33
I get sick of catching the bus (useless timetable) or cycling to work in the rain (I am always getting sick after doing that). At least if I had a scooter I can get home when I want to, and will hopefully get less wet than if I was on the bicycle though I doubt it. I guess I would have to get some good wet weather gear.
I reckon a scooter in Dunedin would be great! You could even try and get it up Baldwin St! :killingme

Welcome to the site btw :spudwave:

thehollowmen
22nd October 2004, 10:45
welcome
You'll find that we give scooter drivers a lot of stick but hey when riding the GN250 we expect to get all that stick back

Riding two wheels around town is great
Keep an eye out for bike parks, the ones on george st are 30 minute ones but the ones behind the meridian are all day, as are the ones by the medschool, on campus etc

Most of dunedin is flat so scooters are great, but be warned once you're bitten you might want to go for longer rides, then you'll be needing a bike

PS - do you know who the person is on the tiny 50cc suzuki farmbike in town / on campus? I saw they left it on an SUV's roof in a george st bike park... wish I had a camera and I soooo need to buy them a beer for that :-P

Hitcher
22nd October 2004, 11:51
Welcome to our gargre. We're not a bad bunch of dysfunctional misfits and mummy's boys once you get to know us...

Blakamin
22nd October 2004, 12:36
welcome...and ignore me....its got to do with the line under my name :ride:

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 12:50
welcome...and ignore me....its got to do with the line under my name :ride:

that it does my pretty

Blakamin
22nd October 2004, 12:54
that it does my pretty
oooeeerr.... no need to worry, you'll still be a double whore before me!

Scaredy Cat
22nd October 2004, 13:12
Well I did it! I am now a proud but scared owner of a Suzuki SJ50QT. Now I just have to get the guts up to take it out for a spin.

I might go now and give it a go while its quiet.

Blakamin
22nd October 2004, 13:14
Well I did it! I am now a proud but scared owner of a Suzuki SJ50QT. Now I just have to get the guts up to take it out for a spin.

Congrats :2thumbsup

we want photos!!!

Cajun
22nd October 2004, 13:39

Good on ya your luv it long time (c:<

Mr Skid
22nd October 2004, 14:18

Consgratsumalations!! :apint:

I can't remember the details, but the SJ50QT is restricted out of the box to make it licenceable as a moped. So if you want *more* powerrr I think there's a washer or something in the exhaust you can remove.

It'll probably help when you start wanting to wheelie it. :scooter:

thehollowmen
22nd October 2004, 19:39

*laugh* great one! congratulations!

now I'll go out tonight and see if I can spot a wobbly scooter so I can say hi :-P

take care of yourself and I bet that confidance will go through the roof soon

BTW - need some L plates? I got some spare atm

scumdog
22nd October 2004, 19:44
Welcome to our gargre. We're not a bad bunch of dysfunctional misfits and mummy's boys once you get to know us...

Oh yes we are !! :2thumbsup

カワサキキド
22nd October 2004, 23:03
To get your learners motorbike licence all you have to is ride a scooter round a few cones for 10 minutes plus the scratchy test (same as your car learners),

Just remember 4 wheels is two to many(unless you have two bikes).

Ms Piggy
23rd October 2004, 08:38

Well done! Have fun with it. :scooter:

Scaredy Cat
23rd October 2004, 09:53
Well I have only been out a couple of times, I'm getting a lot better and more confident. Unfortunately I have a head cold at the moment so I will take it easy for now.

White trash
23rd October 2004, 14:22
Hi all,

Yep I live in a slightly flatter area of town and work is on the flat, so it wont be a problem. I also dont weigh to much so that will help as well.

I only have my learners car licence at the moment so I thought a scooter would be a good idea. My husband has the car everyday to drive out to work in Mosgiel and I get sick of catching the bus (useless timetable) or cycling to work in the rain (I am always getting sick after doing that). At least if I had a scooter I can get home when I want to, and will hopefully get less wet than if I was on the bicycle though I doubt it. I guess I would have to get some good wet weather gear.

By the way wari I thought your smilie was funny :)

Thanks for your replies

I reckon you are a troller, lulling us into a false sense of security.

1.) There is no such thing as a "flat" area of Dunedin. Unless you live in St Kilda and travell to St Claire.(And then you'd walk)

2.) No one asks what others think of scooters. We all know scooter riders are all anorac wearing "trainspoters" (DebK excluded) who drink shandys and eat nothing but Pizza Hutt while playing their PS2s. Scooter riders suck

3.) No self respecting "scooter enthusiast" would admit to riding an SJ50 Cute-EE, even though it is NZs biggest selling motorcycle.

Oh wait, it's a motorcycle..........

Welcome, Scardey Cat. Have fun, ignore the abuse, and have fun on the half pipe at St Kilda.

ps I think you're Scumdogs alter-ego.

Scaredy Cat
24th October 2004, 15:48
Well White trash,

I think that you are secretly jealous of my scooter :scooter: and dont want to admit it :D

Luckily I have a thick skin and can ignore your taunts.

ps - who the hell is Scumdog?

thehollowmen
24th October 2004, 15:57

Someone in South otago, I don't know who
Apparently NZ is smaller than I thought and I'm connected to him somehow but I don't know :-P

If I find a photo of him on Phil's photo page I'll let you know...
Scumdog, care to provide? :-P

White trash
24th October 2004, 17:47
Well White trash,

I think that you are secretly jealous of my scooter :scooter: and dont want to admit it :D

Luckily I have a thick skin and can ignore your taunts.

Thick skins and thick people are all we ask for 'round here. Welcome and enjoy.

Oh yeah, if I'm ever down, can I have a ride on your SJ? Plleeeeaase

El Dopa
24th October 2004, 19:45

Congrats.

I was going to say get a Honda Pal second hand if you can find one. If they're anything like my wife's they're impossible to destroy and very reliable and cheap to run.

Dropped twice and left in the garage for 10 months after the second accident.

We dragged it out today and fired the engine, and after a couple of false starts, it's running sweet as. It certainly impressed me.

Without wanting to frighten you off, I'd recommend at least a decent pair of gloves and preferably a jacket of some sort as a minimum. If you can find one in a brain-damagingly bright glow in the dark colour, all the better.

Scaredy Cat
25th October 2004, 12:59
I am certainly used to being treated really bad, I have been riding my bicycle for over 10 years in the busiest part of the city and having people doing really stupid things in cars etc. I have only had two accidents, one caused by slipping on a railway line and fracturing my left elbow and scraping most of the skin off my right hand and concussion. The second accident involved a car door and I flew through the air, I badly bruised my left elbow (again) and got concussion.

I today I went out all the way to my parents house and back no problems, mind you I took the back streets. It was nice to see that the other traffic treated me with a bit more respect.

I have a white helmet and a blue jacket, hopefully I can find a better jacket from somewhere, but most of the time I will have my back pack on so I will get some fluorescent stickers to put on it.

magnum
26th October 2004, 20:35
hello and welcome. :ride:

inlinefour
13th November 2004, 11:46
Hi,

I just found this forum. I am a novice I don't know much about bikes apart from the ones that you peddle.

I am thinking about getting a moped/scooter for going from home to work etc. I am looking at the Suzuki SJ50QT. I went for a test drive last night and it was really good I didn't fall off and I had good balance as I do a lot of cycling. So what do you think, I haven't riden a bike before but I reckon I did pretty good for the first time. If I was to get one I would take it quietly for the first couple of weeks getting the balance right and confidence on some nice quiet streets before I even thought of going anywhere buzy.

Hopefully I have chosen the right forum and that you wont laugh at me for having a scooter :-). It was funny when I mentioned getting a scooter to other people they all said, don't get one its to dangerous etc.

Scaredy Cat

Enjoyed my scooter, but hey I was only eight years old! :bleh: Na really, it does not matter what you ride as long as you stay safe and enjoy! :done: