PDA

View Full Version : Honda NSR250

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 14:29
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Honda/1990/NSR%20250%20MC%2021/

A good bike? 45hp?!?! I've found a deal for one for $3,500 new reg and wof, any thoughts?

Being 2 stroke is there anything I really need to know?

:Oi:
Now look down the page lol at the description of a ninja I'm after and tell me what you think!!! :)

twinkle
4th November 2007, 14:42
Being 2 stroke is there anything I really need to know?
yes, how much fun they are :yes:

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 14:48
I hear 2 strokes have massive mechanical problems though?

Mom
4th November 2007, 14:53
They only run into problems if you, run them out of oil, they stop rather quickly then.
They need to be ridden a bit differently than a 4 stroke, they like to have varied load, in other words dont ride along for great lengths of time at speed with fixed revs. They enjoy being worked through the power band, and the working through that power band makes them a really exciting bike to ride! They also have a real aversion to be ridden at low revs too, fouled spark plugs are a pain.....LOL

twinkle
4th November 2007, 14:57
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=56055
I guess :rofl: I doubt very much if you bought one that it would be cheap to run long term.

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 14:59
Ok, well this is a 1990 with 30,000k's asking for 3.5 grand... in good condition, only problem is that it leaks gas if gas is left on... what do you guys think? A good step up from my gn? :2thumbsup

twinkle
4th November 2007, 15:16
a good step up if you can ride your gn pretty damn well :first:

EJK
4th November 2007, 15:26
I won't stop you buying a two stroker two fiddy from a GN lol
Who knows? You might get your knee down like your avatar :niceone:

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 15:57
What would you folks say to a Kawasaki Ninja 1990 47,000km for $2750? I've been offered... :)

EJK
4th November 2007, 16:02
Is that the ZXR250?
The price is definitely cheap but I don't know if the bike is ok lol

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 16:07
has wof and rego, will get a new wof when sold if requested expires next year febuary tho.

doesnt smoke, idles fine

tyres ok... brakes orsum! twins on front single on rear,

new battery, new oil change, near new valves, clutch cover, cam chain, guides, tensioner and top gasket.

redlines at a crazy 19500rpm

small crack on windscreen and mirror brokern due to drunk friend sitting on it.

fairings arnt in the best shape

sprockets good and chain near new only like 1500ks

What do you think? I'd take fairings off and $150 for mirror and visor...

twinkle
4th November 2007, 16:34
I wonder why it has near new valves after only 47000km? :scratch:
It sounds like its had a wee bit of a crash what with the clutch cover and fairings.
Afraid thats about the limit of my help, more questions :rofl:

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 16:42
Talked to him and after a shop cleaned out the carbs he got it back and it seized up bending valves and cracking cam cover etc so got all new stuff... With all the new stuff do you think it's sweet to go a decent few kms more?

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 17:32
If all the stuff has been put in rather than just "fixed", everything should run fine right? Apparently the engine runs fine as normal... Will be sold with brand new WOF :).

If you're reading this, read the thread up 4 and make a comment :)

EJK
4th November 2007, 17:55
have you test rode it?

Ragingrob
4th November 2007, 18:00
I'm planning to say something like " I'll take it, as long as it's what you say it is and the test ride goes well ", cause it's at such a place that when I go look at it I'll either bring it home with me or not at all... Any opinions on what you've heard, or tips on the test ride?

Cheers

EJK
4th November 2007, 18:08
Testride.... Just don't do wheelies :laugh:

twinkle
4th November 2007, 18:36
maybe you could have it checked over by a bike shop? (not the one that did the repairs). They could tell you a whole lot more. I guess that might not be an option depending on where the bike is though...

Macstar
4th November 2007, 18:50
Most bike workships will do some form of inspection for you, though will not guarantee their findings as unless you open an engine it's pretty hard to know for sure.

I can put you in touch with a reasonably priced and well qualified mechanic should you need any work done - but as I'm experiencing right now, don't buy a used bike without at least a spare $1000 for bits and pieces. Bump that up to 2-3k if the engine dies.

I wouldn't recommend a 2 stroker as a daily commuter as the service bill will be right up there with serious engine work every 10k.

klyong82
4th November 2007, 19:02
I agree with Macstar too. 2 smokers although are fun to ride but require more engine maintenance rebuild etc compared to a 4 stroke and thats all money unless you know how to do the maintenance yourself.

98tls
4th November 2007, 19:09
Dont worry mate if it shits itself just swap the motor outwith a 600 honda motor.:2thumbsup

Tim 39
14th November 2007, 10:06
Two strokes do require more maintenance than a four stroke, but are much cheaper to rebuild. So long as you keep them well maintained they are usually fine. if it's a fun bike two stroke is good, if it's just to get to work and back I would go four stroke