PDA

View Full Version : Ohlins YA052 rear-set for an FJR1300

Hitcher
4th November 2007, 17:07
It’s bad form to start with a question, particularly a rhetorical one. But why on earth didn’t I upgrade my rear suspension earlier?

Learning about motorcycles is a slow process based on distilling the various stuff one reads, hears from others and learns through first-hand experience. One thing I’m continuing to learn is that the bike that rolls off the end of a manufacturer’s production line is an imperfect compromise that leaves much to be desired.

Another thing I’m learning is that suspension and handling is what makes a bike great.

So what has triggered this latest “Aha!” moment? Replacing a shagged Yamaha standard rear suspension set with a unit made lovingly in Stockholm by a bunch of Swedes called Ohlins, that’s what.

About 10,000km ago I noted that my rear rebound damping was becoming more than a little suboptimal, and that poking at it with a stick didn’t seem to help. The effect was particularly noticeable when exiting a poorly surfaced corner (as can be found on most New Zealand roads) and winding on the power. Jjjjjjitters. Not nice.

Eventually I got around to entering into email dialogue with Robert Taylor – the suspension guru – and presently a parcel was on its way from Stockholm. On Saturday this was fitted for me by Kerry Dukie, Robert’s agent in these parts. And over the Rimutakas and jauntily around the Wairarapa did the newly-enhanced FJR and my fair self astride it go.

The difference was immediately noticeable. I realised how much the old rear set used to “talk” to me, embellishing road “noise” and other information via the bike’s handling characteristics. The new Ohlins makes the back of the bike feel like it’s stuck to the road like icecream to a blanket, as my mother would say. The ride is firm, but not harsh. Gone are the corner exiting jjjjjjitters and those previously experienced under hard braking – I’m talking emergency-stop braking. General unevenness in the road surface is also well dealt to.

The Rimutakas is a great test bed for all of a bike’s components. I hadn’t realised how much I was unsettled by the imperfections on this stretch of road and actually anticipated their effects on the bike by compromising on my preferred line through corners, braking points, acceleration points and so on. Now I feel more in control and able to enjoy the ride experience all the more.

My next “Aha!” moment was realising that my front suspension could probably be improved immeasurably by some quality aftermarket components. Ka-ching!

bistard
4th November 2007, 17:32
Mr Hitcher,welcome to the wonderful world of Ohlins & suspension,that actually works,I have been a convert for some years now & will never go back
Apart from you & Mrs Hitcher igorning my wave in Caterton Yesterday(you are excused,as I was in my van)you should spread the word far & wide
Any of you out there who are unsure of the next step,get a hold of either Robert or Kerry & transform the handling of your bike & make those very expensive tyres last longer,I run Ohlins on both my race bike & road bike & have also had front fork internals done as well
It is not as expensive as you think & will be paid back in tyres,check out Kerrys ZX10 rear tyre next time you see him & ask how may miles it has done

White trash
4th November 2007, 17:52
One of the most common misconceptions I hear is "Oh, I'm not a good enough rider to notice the difference in good suspension".

Complete rubbish, a well set up bike is a pleasure to ride and you'll feel the difference before the end of your driveway.

doc
4th November 2007, 18:09
So what has triggered this latest “Aha!” moment? Replacing a shagged Yamaha standard rear suspension set with a unit made lovingly in Stockholm by a bunch of Swedes called Ohlins, that’s what.

Someone is bound to correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Ohlins now owned by the Japanese and manufactured under licence by the Swedes.

White trash
4th November 2007, 18:12

Someone is bound to correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Ohlins now owned by the Japanese and manufactured under licence by the Swedes.
Yamaha own the OHlins company (I think) but the company is still run by the Swedes hence the fantastic quality.

tri boy
4th November 2007, 18:14
I walked through the valley of average suspension for twenty odd years, until I let RT do his thing on both my present bikes.
I've seen/felt the light. Will fit Ohlins at every chance from now on.:niceone:

FROSTY
4th November 2007, 18:21
SV650 -Jennian corner pukie track.
Factory rear -5th gear hanging on for dear life as the back bucks all round the show.
Ohlins rear -TOP gear throttle pinned to the stop
Nuff said

James Deuce
4th November 2007, 20:39
What would get my vote would be manufacturers like Kawasaki giving up entirely on in house suspension manufacture, because they just can't do it. Whomever designed and approved the OEM suspension components for the 2004-2006 Z750 range should be spending time in jail.

The Ohlins rear shock and Traxxion forks springs on the Zed have turned it into a decent handling real world motorcycle. I still marvel at trail braking into corners and opening the throttle up over a rippled corner and feeling the tyre track true and chassis maintain its attitude. The odd slide under power isn't catastrophic either.

Pleased to hear you have finally cottoned on to the real inner most secret of extracting performance from motorcycles Mr Hitcher.

Hitcher
4th November 2007, 20:44
The front awaits...

boomer
4th November 2007, 20:48
Yamaha own the OHlins company (I think) but the company is still run by the Swedes hence the fantastic quality.

nice chicks too bro... So i understand :whistle: ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm :sweatdrop

oh .. yeah.. back on topic! Nice work Hitcher, so a little extra spent means a transformed bike, greater confidence and handling and less $ spent on tyres. Not to mention a better resale value on the bike.

I can't wait until the 10th when a certain gentleman returns from overseas and sends me my little gold shock along with 2 accompanying skinny white boy springs ... aiii... then its 'ALL ON" :third:

Hitcher
4th November 2007, 20:57
Not to mention a better resale value on the bike.

By my calculations of planned riding and anticipated income/expenditure over the next 12 or so months, the mighty FJR will have close on 80,000km on it when I look at getting my next one. At that stage off will come all of the aftermarket bling, to be replaced by the standard OEM fare. Most buyers prefer "standard" bikes because they assume that manufacturers build things perfectly in the first place. I have difficulty convincing people that there is value in proper spelling and grammar, without trying to chivvy a few hundred extra dollars out of folk in return for several thousand dollars worth of performance-enhancing components. Let them eat mince. The scotch fillet can be transferred to my next FJR.

boomer
4th November 2007, 21:03
By my calculations of planned riding and anticipated income/expenditure over the next 12 or so months, the mighty FJR will have close on 80,000km on it when I look at getting my next one. At that stage off will come all of the aftermarket bling, to be replaced by the standard OEM fare. Most buyers prefer "standard" bikes because they assume that manufacturers build things perfectly in the first place. I have difficulty convincing people that there is value in proper spelling and grammar, without trying to chivvy a few hundred extra dollars out of folk in return for several thousand dollars worth of performance-enhancing components. Let them eat mince. The scotch fillet can be transferred to my next FJR.

i prefer cake myself.. but hey.. we can't all be well off! Or can we?

Anyhows..enjoy the enhancement. :2thumbsup

Ps.. I'm almost tempted to ask if putting ohlins on a bike of that age is akin to puttin a sticky plaster on a menstruating chick? * Edit ( its a 2005 model with high mileage.. i retract that statement )

... hey... have FUN !

SVboy
15th November 2007, 10:56
Can I ask what was the cost?

jrandom
15th November 2007, 11:03
Yes. What Hitcher said.

I can't wait to get off the stockly-suspended K2 thou and back onto my full-Öhlins-fruit SRAD 750. About 30hp less, but I'll still be faster on it.

Briefly.

Until my legs start hurting like a motherfucker.

And then some lucky person who is more flexible than me will get to enjoy it while I start the fettling-until-it-goes-properly process all over again.

:crybaby:

SPman
15th November 2007, 12:27
Icecream to a blanket!.....?????

I guess if KB has done one thing right, it's opening the eyes to lots of riders, about the advantages of good suspension.

Hitcher
15th November 2007, 17:54
Can I ask what was the cost?

Of course you can.

AllanB
15th November 2007, 20:15
funny thing is that the FJ's come standard with 'ohlins' on the rear - unfortunately I suspect its just a sticker borrowed from the company as by all accounts they are a sad version. Guess that's the benefit of owning the superior company.......

Still don't see why they should cost so bloody much..............

James Deuce
15th November 2007, 20:18

You need to try one to understand. It's like going out to buy milk and coming back to find that your wife has been replaced by an 18 year Catherine Zeta Jones.

Squiggles
15th November 2007, 20:41
i hope you know that its people like you posting threads like this that will most likely drag this student into debt!

Hitcher
15th November 2007, 22:31
You need to try one to understand. It's like going out to buy milk and coming back to find that your wife has been replaced by an 18 year Catherine Zeta Jones.

Except there's no rebound...

AllanB
16th November 2007, 09:02
Ah now I understand

HDTboy
16th November 2007, 09:21

Have you priced up a stock shock to compare?

If you really want to see how bad your bike was Hitcher, throw the stock suspension back into it for a day's riding in about a months time.

HenryDorsetCase
26th November 2007, 10:43
It’s bad form to start with a question, particularly a rhetorical one. But why on earth didn’t I upgrade my rear suspension earlier?

Learning about motorcycles is a slow process based on distilling the various stuff one reads, hears from others and learns through first-hand experience. One thing I’m continuing to learn is that the bike that rolls off the end of a manufacturer’s production line is an imperfect compromise that leaves much to be desired.

Another thing I’m learning is that suspension and handling is what makes a bike great.

About 10,000km ago I noted that my rear rebound damping was becoming more than a little suboptimal, and that poking at it with a stick didn’t seem to help. The effect was particularly noticeable when exiting a poorly surfaced corner (as can be found on most New Zealand roads) and winding on the power. Jjjjjjitters. Not nice.

Eventually I got around to entering into email dialogue with Robert Taylor – the suspension guru – and presently a parcel was on its way from Stockholm. On Saturday this was fitted for me by Kerry Dukie, Robert’s agent in these parts. And over the Rimutakas and jauntily around the Wairarapa did the newly-enhanced FJR and my fair self astride it go.

The difference was immediately noticeable. I realised how much the old rear set used to “talk” to me, embellishing road “noise” and other information via the bike’s handling characteristics. The new Ohlins makes the back of the bike feel like it’s stuck to the road like icecream to a blanket, as my mother would say. The ride is firm, but not harsh. Gone are the corner exiting jjjjjjitters and those previously experienced under hard braking – I’m talking emergency-stop braking. General unevenness in the road surface is also well dealt to.

The Rimutakas is a great test bed for all of a bike’s components. I hadn’t realised how much I was unsettled by the imperfections on this stretch of road and actually anticipated their effects on the bike by compromising on my preferred line through corners, braking points, acceleration points and so on. Now I feel more in control and able to enjoy the ride experience all the more.

My next “Aha!” moment was realising that my front suspension could probably be improved immeasurably by some quality aftermarket components. Ka-ching!

what he said ^^^^

HenryDorsetCase
26th November 2007, 10:48
funny thing is that the FJ's come standard with 'ohlins' on the rear - unfortunately I suspect its just a sticker borrowed from the company as by all accounts they are a sad version. Guess that's the benefit of owning the superior company.......

have a look in the suspension thread, Robert Taylor has been thru this at length.

In fact, have a look at the suspension thread (in the suspension subforum) where knowledgeable people discuss stuff.... really enlightening... bit like reading Kevin Cameron....

Fatjim
26th November 2007, 11:01
Don't forget than any shock needs rebuilding because of wear and tear, whether its made in Japan by "Yamaha" or made in Japan by "Ohlins".

Robert Taylor
12th December 2007, 23:25

You know, peoples perception is a funny thing. In reality there should be higher prices so I could actually have some margin.

If ( for example ) we are looking at the price from a perspective of ''redshed mentality'' then yes the price may appear to be high. But there is a plethora of ''redshed'' type shocks out there. Cheap replacements that very often have worse abrupt edge bump absorption qualities than oem. Cheap materials, very average tolerancing, high friction, a very small pool of ''one size fits most'' valving specs ( if you can call it valving ) and very often single acting. By that I mean damping control in rebound only. Ride height control only partly managed by heavily preloaded springs, often very aggressive acting progressive springs. Very poor ''g out'' resistance. Its easy to churn out thousands upon thousnds of these cheap to produce shocks, embellish it with some slick ( but very economical with the truth ) marketing and ''Bobs your uncle''.

People can be gullibly receptive to mass marketing, Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and a few other modern day dictators here and abroad are testament to that.

Conversely look at a well engineered and very well developed / tested shock;

Top quality materials

Very precise tolerancing, low friction

Stability of performance due to sophisticated design and careful matching of the relative expansion rates of differing materials

Any external adjusters are not there for decoration only

Lots of emphasis on compression damping control, meaning lighter spring rate with less preload can often be employed, delivering greater compliance. Lighter springs require much less aggressive high speed rebound damping. That in turn gives better mechanical grip because the tyre ''finds the road'' more readily and the shock will also run cooler through being less restrictive in damping flow.

Specifically developed for each individual model, no subscription to the shonky one size fits all mentality. Dyno tested, track and road tested. Refined as required, often very time consuming.

A company top heavy with engineers that are always developing ongoing technological improvements. Ohlins for example has about 130 employees at its main building near Stockholm and over 60 are engineers. Normally most companies are top heavy with accountants....... Also R & D facilities in another Swedish location, in Germany and the US.

Full and proper backup, factory, distributor, dealer, end user.

Ready parts availability

I could go on but those are main salient points. From my own perspective if I was just a distributor onselling and providing minimal low knowledge backup it would be a disservice to the product.

I think also that here in the land of institutionalised ( and deliberate ) state dependency our sealocked geographically isolated location gives us a different perspective to say Europeans. That we are overtaxed and underpaid with rather less disposable income exacerbates our attitudes re pricing.

RantyDave
13th December 2007, 07:25
we are overtaxed and underpaid
Actually, I believe if you look at the figures our taxation isn't that bad. We just get paid for shit.

Dave

Robert Taylor
13th December 2007, 07:52
Actually, I believe if you look at the figures our taxation isn't that bad. We just get paid for shit.

Dave

Less tax and less insidious levies and taxes on taxes would not disincentivise people so much and the total tax take could as a result increase because people would have more incentive to work for a better return. Equals more expendable income equals more money go round equals a stronger economy.

James Deuce
13th December 2007, 07:54
Give us our $200,000 back. We'll reinvest it in the economy, one way or another.

I, for one, would buy a nice set of Ohlins RWU forks for the Zed and spend a fortnight in New Plymouth while Mr Taylor installed them. Local and National economies improved, right there.

James Deuce
13th December 2007, 08:03

Dave

I get taxed the same as if I lived in Norway. Total take including Rates (which are just a hidden tax to fund Local Government which in turn does NOTHING except service debt with my money) adds up to 53-54% if you include levies on Insurance, GST, School Fees, Health Insurance (needed in my House), Rubbish collection, Lanfill fees, and Petrol taxes and levies. Norway doesn't bother with dividing to conquer with the tax take and just says, "53% Income Tax please". For that you get cradle to grave health care (including dental), somewhere to live if necessary, and a tertiary education system that only asks for its money back if you move to another country. They end up with about twice the disposable income we have and a position at the top of the OECD living standards table (thank you North Sea Oil and reinvestment in Infrastructure) despite living on the side of vertiginous cliffs and weather that makes 15C a balmy Summer day.

I get nothing back for my "investment" in NZ unless I am prepared to be a complete bastard and actually demand that some of the Government services I'm forced to use perform to specification.

As Finn points out though, it's my own fault for not being rich enough to avoid tax altogether.

Finn
13th December 2007, 12:24
As Finn points out though, it's my own fault for not being rich enough to avoid tax altogether.

You make me sound arrogant. I'm not, I'm just fed up with NZ. Your comparison between Norway and NZ is perfect. Sweden (which Labour likes to base it's social engineering policies on) tried the same. Unfortunately they don't have any oil so it's failing big time, much like NZ.

Paying tax in NZ is pointless and if you can legally avoid it, do so. Even Winston Peters who paid back NZ First's $150k of stolen tax payers money directly to Starship doesn't trust Michael Cullen with it. Why should we?

James Deuce
13th December 2007, 12:27
Who are you and what have you done with the real Finn?

Tongue FIRMLY in cheek, old bean!

No slight was intended. Not even that other famous midget, Aaron Slight.

RantyDave
13th December 2007, 12:31
Oh god, now look what I've done.

Hitcher
13th December 2007, 14:21
Oh god, now look what I've done.

http://www.minbu.connectfree.co.uk/dwarf.htm

sAsLEX
13th December 2007, 21:20
What would get my vote would be manufacturers like Kawasaki giving up entirely on in house suspension manufacture, because they just can't do it.

KTM do it. Use suspension from their specialist suspension company.

Robert Taylor
13th December 2007, 22:10

Answer this then, what suspension components do KTM use on their works 125 and 250cc world championship road race team bikes , also their top spec ATV?

And who is Wim Peters working for?

Robert Taylor
13th December 2007, 22:26

Its not actually in house with the Japanese bike manufacturers, They alternate between Showa and Kayaba as subcontractors, throw in Soqi as a further option in Yamahas case. Its all about price, price and price.

Although ( for example ) Yamaha Motor Co has the majority shareholding in Ohlins AB Sweden it is just too expensive to fit top shelf components to every model as it reflects in significantly higher prices, even though the benefits are very real.

Companies such as Ohlins are still relatively small companies and just havent got anything like the production capacity neccessary for mainstream high volume mass market models. And that end of the market is not really what they are about.

You only get what you pay for. ALSO, although all countries have roads that are bumpy I suspect that we have a much higher percentage of bumpy roads than the mass market European and North American markets. I.e, vehicles there will spend a much greater percentage of time on smooth roads. Our predominace of bumpy roads ''cocktailed'' with the budget suspension fitted to most bikes arguably makes us more attentive to suspension shortcomings.

James Deuce
13th December 2007, 22:37
....with the budget suspension fitted to most bikes arguably makes us more attentive to suspension shortcomings.

Maybe 5% of people more attentive. A lot of motorcyclists I talk to haven't even begun to consider that suspension can wear out, let alone be improved upon.

Robert Taylor
14th December 2007, 07:07
Maybe 5% of people more attentive. A lot of motorcyclists I talk to haven't even begun to consider that suspension can wear out, let alone be improved upon.

Thats probably a very accurate comment.

Hitcher
14th December 2007, 08:06
And reminds me that I need to follow up and get my front suspension done...