PDA

View Full Version : CB650C Bobber Project

rustycharm
4th November 2007, 22:06
:Oi:
Has anyone found a decent local supplier of 'classic' Honda bits?
Also - I See a few comments amoungst the threads about techs not wanting to work on older bikes. Has anyone come across a workshop with a few friendly's in Auck willing to tackle an 81 CB650C transmission??

:niceone:

James Deuce
4th November 2007, 22:15
Econohonda

http://www.econohonda.co.nz/

98tls
4th November 2007, 22:22
Best bet may well be on ebay parts wise mate,while your at it do a web search for forums revolving around classic/older Hondas etc,generally on such forums you will find people from all over who are mad keen on said bikes and theres how to threads that make it pretty simple to follow,a bikes motor is a pretty simple bit of kit really and when its all laid out before you in a step by step incl of pics theres a lot of satisfaction to be had by doing it yourself.

rustycharm
4th November 2007, 22:38
certainly is satisfying doing the work yerself but I was going to hand the bottom end over to an expert as there is so much else to keep me busy fir 6 months ! - Have some bits coming from the US and UK (Theres a huge selection out there) ... was just wondering about a local supplier for some of the more mundane bits and pieces like gaskets, seals etc

James Deuce
5th November 2007, 05:55
Econohonda like I said. Really good guy runs the place and knows all the Honda parts interchangeability off by heart.

jonbuoy
5th November 2007, 07:07
Hi - Have you seen this: http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php
Ditto on Econohonda I ended up buying a job lot of stuff from Dave Silver in the UK as econohonda would have had to order in some of the bits I wanted. Saved me splitting orders. Econohonda are good guys to deal with though.

rustycharm
5th November 2007, 20:14
Cheers guys... had a good session scrounging around the net based on your suggestions and it seems I'm not alone. Still often have to overcome most peoples questions as to WHY you would chop a Honda but the answer is always..... cos I can!

See the ad in KB Bikes for Sale "Be the Renegade" and see what can be done to a Harley Sportster lol :niceone:

Bonez
6th November 2007, 17:47
:Oi:
Has anyone found a decent local supplier of 'classic' Honda bits?
Also - I See a few comments amoungst the threads about techs not wanting to work on older bikes. Has anyone come across a workshop with a few friendly's in Auck willing to tackle an 81 CB650C transmission??

:niceone:They're fairly basic to work on. I owned a CB650C in another space time continuem.

rustycharm
6th November 2007, 18:03
call me lazy but I was going to hand over the bottom end while I did the top end... yes they are pretty basic but I'm just impatient and want this thing on the road by Jan

kneescraper
10th November 2007, 17:52
Hey mate, LOVE YOU CUSTOM HARLEY! I saw it on trademe and was going to put up a post here asking who the talented guy was who built it. Have any got any photos (as many as posible) of the build...I would love to see the step by step process you went through to get to the point where it is now....

Love the bike mate..if you do have any photos please email them to me at Jarmizz@hotmail.com. Like I said....as many photos as youve got.

rustycharm
11th November 2007, 07:45
Thanks for the comments although I feel I need to point out it wasn't me that built the Harley. It was built by Drew Gilbert - based in Auckland. Quite frankly a design and fabrication genuis in my mind. The Harley is a work of art and really has to be seen and heard to be believed. It guts me to have to sell it but 3 bikes in the garage take up too much room and they all can't be ridden.

kneescraper
11th November 2007, 13:16
Drew Gilbert is the man LOL. Im in the process of rebuilding my ZZR250 (shit bike thats got no status like yours but its my first try so got nothing to waste) so I can understand how hard it is to get a finish like what you have got with your bike.

Im painting my rear shock....and just trying to get it 100% perfect with not one defect in it is a job on its own. Getting everything 100% right, which is what Im going for isnt as easy as first thought. Big credit to Drew, a job done very well.

Any chance of some more photos?

rustycharm
11th November 2007, 20:56
theres a bunch of photos in the bike trader section showing a lot more detail.... :bye: gulp.... had a lot of interest in it over the weekend and it looks like its going soon :(

kneescraper
11th November 2007, 20:58
Ok cheers.

She'll be a sad day when it rides down your drive way and you here that engine take off into the distance.....a very sad day indeed.

psyguy
12th November 2007, 19:31
: Has anyone come across a workshop with a few friendly's in Auck willing to tackle an 81 CB650C transmission??

Henderson engine reconditioners - they do american muscle cars but were quite happy to work on my gs. and i was quite happy with them. recommended
good luck with your project!

Swoop
12th November 2007, 21:10
Two places to avoid if you have bikes over 10yrs old.
AMPS.
Coleman's.