PDA

View Full Version : Fund-raising For Cheesecutter Campaign

RiderInBlack
5th November 2007, 08:43
This Campaign is going ta take some time. This means that are going ta be on-going costs running it. I would like to be able to donate to this cause but have not seen a link for making donations. If there is could those running www.cheesecutter.co.nz (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz) put a link up for us, thanks. You Dudes and Dudettes are doing awesome work and I don't want ta see ya wearing all the costs of running this.

Hitcher
5th November 2007, 10:06
Fundraising. Yet another reason for this campaign to be passed over to Bronz or a similar organisation that has the necessary infrastructure to manage it.

RiderInBlack
5th November 2007, 10:38
Fundraising. Yet another reason for this campaign to be passed over to Bronz or a similar organisation that has the necessary infrastructure to manage it.You should note that www.cheesecutter.co.nz (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/) is supported by: BRONZ (http://www.bronz.org.nz/) — Kiwi Biker (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/) — SportsBike.co.nz (http://www.sportsbike.co.nz/) (as stated on the home page of www.cheesecutter.co.nz (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/)). Make no doubt about it, this campaign is much more than KB. So how about helping the campaign buy donating:2thumbsup
PS: Hitcher, shouldn't "Fundraising" be ether "Fund raising" or "Fund-raising":hitcher::dodge:

Sanx
5th November 2007, 13:04
You should note that www.cheesecutter.co.nz (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/) is supported by: BRONZ (http://www.bronz.org.nz/) — Kiwi Biker (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/) — SportsBike.co.nz (http://www.sportsbike.co.nz/) (as stated on the home page of www.cheesecutter.co.nz (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/)). Make no doubt about it, this campaign is much more than KB. So how about helping the campaign buy donating:2thumbsup
PS: Hitcher, shouldn't "Fundraising" be ether "Fund raising" or "Fund-raising":hitcher::dodge:

Nope - 'fundraising' is fine.

As for Hitcher's point about organisation. In the last few months, there have been a number of fundrasing efforts by KBers for different causes: Shaun Harris and MackTheKnife spring to mind. Both of these involved work by a number of people and raised significant amounts of money. KB's members do have the capacity to organise, lobby, cajole, influence and collect funds. It's been done a number of times with a lot of success, and it'll happen again.

Edit: and if any of the organisers want to nominate a bank-account to hold funds, please let me know the details and I'll make sure the relevant info is posted up on the website.

RiderInBlack
5th November 2007, 15:25
So How About It?
I'm willing ta put my money where my mouth is.

Ixion
5th November 2007, 15:57
We're working on it. Watch this space.

Hitcher
5th November 2007, 17:48
As for Hitcher's point about organisation. In the last few months, there have been a number of fundrasing efforts by KBers for different causes: Shaun Harris and MackTheKnife spring to mind. Both of these involved work by a number of people and raised significant amounts of money. KB's members do have the capacity to organise, lobby, cajole, influence and collect funds. It's been done a number of times with a lot of success, and it'll happen again.

There's a big difference, in my opinion, between a one-off equivalent of taking the hat round and giving a lump sum to a deserving biker, and funding an organisation. That's because an organisation is what is required to run the cheesecutter campaign to it's logical conclusion. "Success" will require dedicated and concerted effort over several years. If only it were as simple as a few protest rides and taking a few dollars off people so inclined. Running this campaign as a campaign will cost many thousands of dollars -- with no guarantee of success. The Forces of Evil and Darkness have entrenched positions of power and are in a position where their best tactic is to ignore us, safe in the knowledge that we will eventually lose interest and resort to informed debate as to whom the biggest bitch on this site may or may not be.

That's why I say that we should hand the organisation of this over to BRONZ or a similar organisation that knows how to engage the Government (in all its guises) over long term significant issues. BRONZ, for example, has resources that Kiwi Biker doesn't. It also has other things that come with this territory, such as audited financial statements, elected officers and a charter -- in other words ACCOUNTABILITY.

The cheesecutter campaign is a great cause, but rampant enthusiasm on its own will not take it very far.

RiderInBlack
5th November 2007, 17:59
Give it a rest Hitcher. Give these guys a chance. I am sure that they are seeking help from the likes of BRONZ and are seeking ta work in with them.

Hitcher
5th November 2007, 19:13
Give it a rest Hitcher. Give these guys a chance. I am sure that they are seeking help from the likes of BRONZ and are seeking ta work in with them.

If so, they should make such arrangements before they start collecting cash, in my opinion.

Nasty
5th November 2007, 20:20

Sorry RIB I am in agreement with Hitcher on this one ... there is a lot to risk .. and not only financially ... its good to put structures in place and ensure that they are there and there is accountability before sending the hat .. which no one has a problem with dipping in their pockets for.

Ixion
5th November 2007, 20:23
Uh, hello folks. :whistle:A bit behind the fair, eh ?

Nasty
5th November 2007, 20:24
Uh, hello folks. :whistle:A bit behind the fair, eh ?

you are doing a great job mate ... :)

RiderInBlack
7th November 2007, 06:41
Sorry but I don't agree with Hitcher. These Dudes and Dudette are doing an awesome job for a cause that is for my benefit (as well as many of the riders here). If I wish to help them with the costs of running this campaign, then I should be able to make contributions to help. I personal trust them to do their best and to not spend the money inappropriately. They are putting themselves out of pocket for this, and I don't see why they should have to.

Hitcher
7th November 2007, 08:11
While support is tremendous, nobody has yet thought about a "campaign" that goes beyond the protest rides and endeavoured to cost such a thing. "Fundraising" for a good idea that may or may not come to fruition is, at best, naively hopeful and, at worst, fraudulent. There is no structure in place yet to manage an ongoing cheesecutter campaign that would provide any sort of governance or accountability -- such as an incorporated society structure, elected officers, audited financial statements, membership management and the like. There is also no strategy in place for the cheesecutter campaign in terms of short and long term success measures. At this stage the objective has been to raise awareness of the issue, which has been at best sporadically successful.

Running this campaign through to a logical conclusion will take time, money, a proper structure and probably professional officers -- probably requiring an investment in excess of $100,000 a year for salaries, overhead costs and promotional materials. While that sounds a lot, it's a minimum $30 a year subscription for each of Kiwi Biker's 3,500 active members. (Speculative numbers only in the absence of a strategy and operating plan)

Ixion
7th November 2007, 08:23
Pretty negative there Mr Hitcher.

Formal governance stuff will fall to BRONZ. That's why BRONZ is tightly coordinated into the KB Cheesecutter campaign.

That's not an unusual model. Do you imagine that every person who turns up at a Greenpeace protest is actually a member. Or that everyone who protested against the Springbok tours was a member of HART ?

RIB is simply asking for an opportunity to kick in some coin to cover the out of pocket costs of the campaign organisers so far. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

As I haven't heard you come up with any alternative plans, I presume your suggestion is that everyone sit on their hands and wait for the next rider to be cut in half, like patient little sheep ?

Hitcher
7th November 2007, 08:34
Pretty negative there Mr Hitcher.

Formal governance stuff will fall to BRONZ. That's why BRONZ is tightly coordinated into the KB Cheesecutter campaign.

That's not an unusual model. Do you imagine that every person who turns up at a Greenpeace protest is actually a member. Or that everyone who protested against the Springbok tours was a member of HART ?

RIB is simply asking for an opportunity to kick in some coin to cover the out of pocket costs of the campaign organisers so far. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

As I haven't heard you come up with any alternative plans, I presume your suggestion is that everyone sit on their hands and wait for the next rider to be cut in half, like patient little sheep ?
Bronz is, in my opinion, an appropriate mechanism to work the campaign through to a conclusion. I think we're talking at cross-purposes with a strong likelihood of agreeing.

And if you feel compelled to have a cheap shot at me, good on you. I won't be returning the favour.

Big Dave
7th November 2007, 08:53
It would require a vote, but I would support some defraying of costs by BRONZ should the matter be presented to a meeting.
(Sounds like a PFJ meeting!)

I agree with Hitcher's position 100%.

As stated by Spank - KB is a communications device to be employed.
Privately owned and accountable as such.

BRONZ endeavours to meet all statutory requirements and due process.
I urge all riders to join and support.

DC
Akl Vice President.

Is it open slather Hitcher shots did you say?

Mrs Busa Pete
7th November 2007, 08:56
It would require a vote, but I would support some defraying of costs by BRONZ should the matter be presented to a meeting.

I agree with Hitcher's position 100%.

As stated by Spank - KB is a communications device to be employed.
Privately owned and accountable as such.

BRONZ endeavours to meet all statutory requirements and due process.
I urge all riders to join and support.

DC
Akl Vice President.

Is it open slather Hitcher shots did you say?

So how do you join Bronz

Big Dave
7th November 2007, 09:26
So how do you join Bronz

http://www.bronz.org.nz/join.html

PS - the free Hitcher shot is note use of lower case on an acronym.

RiderInBlack
7th November 2007, 11:44
Got it in one:2thumbsup People running this will already be out of pocket. I want to help them. What is wrong with that.

I should be able to donate to a campaign without having to be a member of the organisation running it. People donate to Green Peace, The Foundation Of The Blind, Cancer Soc., etc., without being a member. Why should this be any different.

What's more, we should not be getting in to a shit fight over who should be running this campaign. Do that and we all lose accept Land Transport NZ:girlfight:

RiderInBlack
9th November 2007, 18:39
I take it that the Cheesecutter Campaign doesn't want any of my money ta help:whistle: I know I don't have much but every bit helps:2thumbsup(OK just giving this a bump really:msn-wink:)

DEATH_INC.
9th November 2007, 18:53
Not sure anyone wants this responsibility..... I spent $45 on photocopying stuff.... if you wanna contribute a bit towards that I won't object :)
I know someone ( ixion ? ) hired the megaphone we used on the ride, and Sanx is at least investing a shiteload of time into the website. I'm also sure Gremlin and Zapf have spent a bit of cash on it too.
So far there haven't been too many expenses, but I'm sure there will be a few more in the months/years to come....
Mr Hitcher, do you doubt our ability to see this through?

Colapop
9th November 2007, 19:00
The "Cheesecutter" campaign is exactly that - a campaign. It will not be won in a day or a week. Yes, funds will be needed.

BRONZ supports the campaign and has been working very hard for a number of years for bikers rights. They do a job that gets forgotten quite often. It is also an organisation that has the mechanisms to accept donations and the mechanisms to see that the funds are distributed correctly. I have no doubt that BRONZ will fund, or at least financially support in some way, the cheesecutter website and/or other campaign initiatives.

RiderInBlack
9th November 2007, 19:01
Not sure anyone wants this responsibility..... I spent $45 on photocopying stuff.... if you wanna contribute a bit towards that I won't object :)
I know someone ( ixion ? ) hired the megaphone we used on the ride, and Sanx is at least investing a shiteload of time into the website. I'm also sure Gremlin and Zapf have spent a bit of cash on it too.
So far there haven't been too many expenses, but I'm sure there will be a few more in the months/years to come....
Mr Hitcher, do you doubt our ability to see this through?PM me. Won't be much (would be gold coin if any of ya were handy) but hey can't see why ya any of ya should be out of pocket on our behalf.
Edit: as for Bronz, if they want ta set-up a donation fund for the Cheesercutter Campaign and cost relating to that campaign (this includes any cost Bronz have directly relating to the above Campaign), then I would only be too happy to chip in

Hitcher
9th November 2007, 19:09
Mr Hitcher, do you doubt our ability to see this through?

If it's a only a matter of reimbursing those who may have had significant financial exposure to the campaign so far, then it's up to such folk to declare their interests and expectations and for others to remit funds to them. No great dramas there. Others of us are happy to swallow our costs.

But the next stage of this campaign -- beyond a petition and protest rides -- is where the significant funding contributions are required, and where exchange of petty cash really won't cut it. That's why I believe a professional organisation is needed, well more than that, I believe it should be mandatory for accountability reasons.

DEATH_INC.
9th November 2007, 19:39
PM me. Won't be much (would be gold coin if any of ya were handy) but hey can't see why ya any of ya should be out of pocket on our behalf.
Edit: as for Bronz, if they want ta set-up a donation fund for the Cheesercutter Campaign and cost relating to that campaign (this includes any cost Bronz have directly relating to the above Campaign), then I would only be too happy to chip in
Tell ya what, you can buy me a beer next time I'm up that way :apint:

Holy Roller
9th November 2007, 20:20
Being the wanna be boy scout that I am and one who likes to collect badges and such...
How about designing a sew on patch like our KB one and selling them to help defray costs.
Could be some kind of comp here
possible or what?

RiderInBlack
10th November 2007, 11:16
Tell ya what, you can buy me a beer next time I'm up that way :apint:Sweet As. I better make it a Jug.
A "I Support The Cheesecutter Campaign" Patch for my "Bull-shit" Vest or "Bumper" sticker (one for all of my vehicles) would suit me:niceone: The KB ones on "Roxanne" are getting "tired".

DEATH_INC.
10th November 2007, 20:53
We talked of stickers, it may be a good idea, small one for bikes and a biggie for yer cage.
I'm thinking something simple along the lines of the sign on the back of the ute on the jafa protest ride.
Ok then, we need some designs, and of course someone friendly to print 'em.