PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Trackday Video - Manfeild 27 Oct 2007

Leong
5th November 2007, 20:54
I'm trying to portray how exciting it can be taking your bike to its limit on the racetrack. Suzuki and Trackfun would like a video of their trackdays and this is what I've done so far.....

I think some footage of people still buzzing immediately after a session eg taking helmet off would be good. I'll get another chance at the Taupo trackday next month so any comments / suggestions would be welcomed!!!

Features quite a few KB'ers.....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBek2X0W_k0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBek2X0W_k0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kendog
5th November 2007, 21:40
Great video, well done.
I would love to see a couple of laps from on board your bike.

NinjaBoy
5th November 2007, 23:26
Great so far but agree with Kendog. Maybe a bit more onboard footage down the back straight or front straight.

Did you get any footage of Craig Shiriffs' talk in the pits afterwards? Maybe a little of that as well.

dhunt
6th November 2007, 09:18
It's looking good there Leong :niceone:

I'm trying to portray how exciting it can be taking your bike to its limit on the racetrack. Suzuki and Trackfun would like a video of their trackdays and this is what I've done so far.....

Like the others have mentioned some more onboard footage might help convey how fun/exciting it is. Possibly following someone quite closely would have the best effect rather than a clear view.

Leong
6th November 2007, 19:02
Hmmm.... anyone notice that the onboard stuff wasn't from the Suzuki day? Anyone think this matters? You'll notice where I've finished the onboard at the hairpin, that the track isn't resealed. It's much more obvious coming ono the front straight cos the buildings are different (onboard vid is from a trackday in January 07).

Didn't know about Craig Shirriffs talk in the pits....... That would have been good!

emaN
11th November 2007, 21:29
nice one Leong...
it's always nice to watch vid that isn't zooming in & out the whole time! nice work on the editing too.

when getting footage of ppl, I try to get their heads in the upper 'third' of the shot, (avoiding placing heads in the middle, and getting a whole lotta sky).

as you did, when you're on the same level as your subject, try to get as close as poss to where you're shooting - when zooming in, the image will appear close (duh) but the sound won't match... When you're shooting from above it won't matter as much.

get hold of a tripod; one where you can remove the middle 'pole' with the attachement pad. if it's long enough, rest it on your belt, so ya get nice steady pans w/o having to set up the whole tripod every time.

avoid zooming into the 'digital zoom' area; stay in your optical zoom range (i think you do)

set up a close shot and get some bikes going through it, ie, don't pan. i got some cool, short (cos they were too damn fast!) footage of LB & Sugilite going thru' Turn 7 (i call it "Gliders") at Taupo this way. you hear them approach out of shot, they wiz thru', scrapers sparking, bike cranked over, boys hanging off...looks cool!

again, well done and keep doing it!

i saw you knelt down at the end of the pits, i think... how'd that footage come out? that kinda shot would give an impression of the speed and noise involved..

re on-board footage; dunno, 6 one way, half doz the other... YouTube is flooded with on-board shots.
Maybe a separate vid with a voice-over commentating a lap, for those who are keen to pick up tips before getting to the track itself...?

Kendog
12th November 2007, 05:16
re on-board footage; dunno, 6 one way, half doz the other... YouTube is flooded with on-board shots.
Maybe a separate vid with a voice-over commentating a lap, for those who are keen to pick up tips before getting to the track itself...?

I like that idea, would help me for sure.

Leong
15th November 2007, 13:33
nice one Leong...
get hold of a tripod; one where you can remove the middle 'pole' with the attachement pad. if it's long enough, rest it on your belt, so ya get nice steady pans w/o having to set up the whole tripod every time.

set up a close shot and get some bikes going through it, ie, don't pan. i got some cool, short (cos they were too damn fast!) footage of LB & Sugilite going thru' Turn 7 (i call it "Gliders") at Taupo this way. you hear them approach out of shot, they wiz thru', scrapers sparking, bike cranked over, boys hanging off...looks cool!

...?

Thanks for the commments!! Been meaning to get a tripod... the type you suggest sounds good. Will take your other comments on board too - you may just have to keep an eye on me on the 9th Dec - take it you're goin?

emaN
17th November 2007, 11:29
...on the 9th Dec - take it you're goin?
sure am!!!
:scooter:

need to wear the l/h side of my tyres down now...manfield took care of the r/h side! (and also caused some delaminating/chunking on the rear!?!)