PDA

View Full Version : Cheap solution - In-helmet speakers

NinjaNanna
7th November 2007, 08:52
Hi Guys

I like listening to music on longer rides and now that I have a radar detector I wanted to mix these two devices together and amplify them so that they are loud enough to hear over the wind noise and through my plugz for lugz ear plugs.

I found this device (http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=13) on the web which may or may not work but in the end I decided to try something a little cheaper.

What I did was buy a pair of second hand computer speakers (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Peripherals/Speakers/auction-125307049.htm) off Trademe and then stripped the amp out of them.

To be totally honest it isn't something that absolutely anybody can do because you do need to understand electronics to some degree. The particular set of speakers that I bought I needed to change some Resistor Values to make it louder and they also ran off AC so I needed to work out where the DC connections should go.

In the end I mounted it in a nice plastic box wired up 3 stereo connectors for inputs, put 2 connectors on it for Rider and Pillion headsets and wired it into the bikes accessory power.

Inputs 1&2 I use for my MP3 player and Radar Detector, the 3rd I can plug my UHF radio into if I want to - but because I don't have a good microphone in my helmet this doesn't work the best.

All up I spent about $25 on my amplifier - I used these 50mm speakers on page 2 (http://www.hiq.co.nz/datapageselectronic/web06e-speakers-magnetic_piezo.pdf) and I recommend you buy the cheapest headphones you can find and cut the cord off (to connect to the speakers) so that you can re-use the connectors and volume control.

Couple of hints you can split the output of the amplifier to drive two helmets - but to mix multiple inputs you need to put a resistor in series with each Input (both L&R legs).

rooster
27th November 2007, 20:45
Recommend the Boostaroo, I brought the basic model amp and it will take three devices.

i have a volume in the leads so am able to alter when entering different speed zones or whatever.

Go with a Boostaroo its such a small device 4 1/2 inches long, 3/4 thick, and 1" deep it takes 2 small batteries, which lasted for over seven days riding 5 -6 hours a day.

mattimeo
29th November 2007, 10:46
Nice work ninja... I've a friend who did something similar to this. Worked well.

HornetBoy
29th November 2007, 12:29
Gave this ago myself with a couple of mods ,but worked for me :yes: thanks mate.otherwise for people who are looking for ways to play music in the helmet i reccomend getting the phillips hook over earphones/sports earphones,as they dont come off or wriggle out of your ear when you put on your helmet:scooter:

Matt_TG
29th November 2007, 12:51
I bought a pair of Philips clip over the ear headphones recently. They stay put but I found they hurt the ears after a while :(

imdying
29th November 2007, 12:58
This is a bad idea... to get these loud enough to acceptably over come wind noise at open road speeds, they need to be blasting the crap out of your ear drums... enough to to permanent damage. Best to get some canalphones or leave the music at home :yes:

jrandom
29th November 2007, 13:01
I agree with imdying.

Check out 'screamer' attachments for radar detectors. I can testify that they're very audible over wind and straight-through-exhaust noise at twice the legal open-road limit, without being potentially damaging to your hearing in the way that an in-ear system could be.

hospitalfood
29th November 2007, 13:11
Im into this.........at present I use senheiser ear plug earphones, block a lot of the outside noise so you get less deaf than with nothing, I have a pair of good sony headphones that I would like to build in to the helmet, if done right they should block outside noise as well, I need to hook my ipod and radar detector to them.

Ninja, think I need your help.

deanohit
29th November 2007, 13:21
Best to get some canalphones or leave the music at home :yes:

I've found these to work brilliant, but ya gotta pay up for some good ones.
I have a set that are advertised as PSP travelphones. Stopped a huge amount of noise, so you didn't need them turned up all the time and the rubber on them is nice and soft, so your ears feel fine after wearing them for ages. :headbang:

Blue Velvet
29th November 2007, 13:31
I agree with imdying.

Check out 'screamer' attachments for radar detectors. I can testify that they're very audible over wind and straight-through-exhaust noise at twice the legal open-road limit, without being potentially damaging to your hearing in the way that an in-ear system could be.

+1

I like being able to hear stuff without asking people to repeat themselves.

imdying
29th November 2007, 13:56
OP, if you can't see what I mean, try putting those 50mm speakers, with amps, at the same level as gives enjoyment in 100km/h wind noise, whilst you're sitting in your living room. You'll be shocked, it's more than enough to root your hearing.

I used to use earplugs with my iPod, till I realised that the 90-100% volume I needed to make it reasonable on the bike, was a level I simply couldn't comfortably listen to in any other situation... and it wasn't cause the iPod was getting quieter on the bike...

Do you guys hear that ringing? :S

breakaway
30th November 2007, 13:44
Canalphones have this problem also, but to a lesser extent. At home, I listen to music on my phone on 1 bar of volume. At highway speeds I need at least 4-5 bars or I can't hear parts of it properly.

NinjaNanna
30th November 2007, 13:54
This is a bad idea... to get these loud enough to acceptably over come wind noise at open road speeds, they need to be blasting the crap out of your ear drums... enough to to permanent damage. Best to get some canalphones or leave the music at home :yes:

YOU ARE 100% RIGHT - but you missed the part about me also wearing earplugs at the same time.

To my way of thinking if the helmet setup with earplugs in is not too loud standing still and I can still hear it at the same volume when riding then my hearing is not at risk.

IF you were to not wear earplugs - then your just asking to go deaf - but I believe this to be the case regardless of whether your listening to music.

NinjaNanna
30th November 2007, 14:03
Im into this.........at present I use senheiser ear plug earphones, block a lot of the outside noise so you get less deaf than with nothing, I have a pair of good sony headphones that I would like to build in to the helmet, if done right they should block outside noise as well, I need to hook my ipod and radar detector to them.

Ninja, think I need your help.

The biggest problem with using pre fabricated headphones is that they are invariably far to thick. The 50mm ones that I posted about in the original thread starter, in my mind, were perfect and I couldn't believe my luck when I found them.

Of course you still have the problem with making a speaker grill to protect the cone - but my simple solution was to cut up an old CD case and drill some holes in it to let the sound through - wahla home made speaker grill that wasn't too thick.

As for mixing the signals together from multiple devices see here (http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/linesum.html). The resistors can easily be incorporated into the 3.5MM Stereo connector shells but remember you need 2 one for the L signal and one for the R signal.

NinjaNanna
30th November 2007, 14:05
Gave this ago myself with a couple of mods ,but worked for me :yes: thanks mate.otherwise for people who are looking for ways to play music in the helmet i reccomend getting the phillips hook over earphones/sports earphones,as they dont come off or wriggle out of your ear when you put on your helmet:scooter:

Great stuff glad it worked out for you too - Remember to always wear earplugs though - I highly recommend the Plugz for Lugz ones.

NinjaNanna
30th November 2007, 14:24

I've found these to work brilliant, but ya gotta pay up for some good ones.
I have a set that are advertised as PSP travelphones. Stopped a huge amount of noise, so you didn't need them turned up all the time and the rubber on them is nice and soft, so your ears feel fine after wearing them for ages. :headbang:

I bought a pair of Philips clip over the ear headphones recently. They stay put but I found they hurt the ears after a while :(

Earmold Australia are advertising a cheaper version of their Music Earplugs (http://www.earmold.com.au/content/blogcategory/23/35/) in Australian Bike Magazines instead of the black bit that is effectively and inline speaker they are fitted with a rubber cup that you fit over the top of your own earbud headphones. The big bonus is they are like 1/3 the price of the electronic version.

I haven't heard of Plugz for Lugz doing these yet but I'm sure if you asked them they'd be able to tell you all about them.

Plugz 4 Lugz
30th November 2007, 20:00
Thank you for highlighting these cheaper version adaptors. Since we were introduced to them ourselves at Big Boys Toys, we are now have them in and can offer them for $120 were pair. Cheers Sue 027 659 1583

Earmold Australia are advertising a cheaper version of their Music Earplugs (http://www.earmold.com.au/content/blogcategory/23/35/) in Australian Bike Magazines instead of the black bit that is effectively and inline speaker they are fitted with a rubber cup that you fit over the top of your own earbud headphones. The big bonus is they are like 1/3 the price of the electronic version.

I haven't heard of Plugz for Lugz doing these yet but I'm sure if you asked them they'd be able to tell you all about them.