PDA

View Full Version : Look, they do stop cages

DEATH_INC.
7th November 2007, 21:04
Interesting pic I found..... wonder how many cage drivers would still like 'em if they'd been in this...

crashe
7th November 2007, 21:07
Holy fark.....!!!!!!!!!

Toaster
7th November 2007, 21:08
Looks like the alloy wheels off and older Ford Falcon.... turned into a tuna can!!

BarBender
7th November 2007, 21:42
Struth!:blink:

boomer
7th November 2007, 21:44
Convertible with ya flip top head anyone..??

shockin ai...!!!!

jafar
7th November 2007, 21:48
that is a seriously scary pic, send it to aunty helen :lol:

DEATH_INC.
8th November 2007, 06:07
Print out this pic and take it with ya when you approach cage drivers to sign the petitions, they're not just a menace to us....

Storm
8th November 2007, 06:18
Now THATS graphic. That picture is good for a least 3'000 words

Grahameeboy
8th November 2007, 06:26
So they do stop cars going across the road but wonder what injuries were sustained?? Surely a concrete barrier would cause less damage and less injury?

Coyote
8th November 2007, 06:38
Concrete barriers must be more expensive right?

Grahameeboy
8th November 2007, 06:42
Concrete barriers must be more expensive right?

Well if you took all costs, like cost of repairing Cheesecutter barrier, clearing up mess, firemen etc plus ACC costs for injuries, I would say probably not.

Cost of a Cheescutter may in isolation be less but you have to look at cost barrier generates after an accident. Me thinks concrete barriers may win

Coyote
8th November 2007, 06:53
Well if you took all costs, like cost of repairing Cheesecutter barrier, clearing up mess, firemen etc plus ACC costs for injuries, I would say probably not.

Cost of a Cheescutter may in isolation be less but you have to look at cost barrier generates after an accident. Me thinks concrete barriers may win
Ah yes. But, like most government run organisations (I say most because I do not know them all), LTNZ are the types that would not spend a penny to save a pound. They have no guarantee that the penny spent would save them that pound and would rather hang onto what wealth they do have. With so few crashes into barriers, this mentality saves them a lot of pennies

erik
8th November 2007, 06:58
I don't see any of the vertical posts in that picture (that are supposed to be the main source of damage for bikers), it looks like just several wire ropes. Depending on how securely the vertical posts are fixed to the ground and the wire rope (and the spacing), they might've stopped that?

marty
8th November 2007, 06:59
looks like my old XF Fairmont Ghia.....

RiderInBlack
8th November 2007, 07:09
Thanks For that. Have added that Pic to the petitions Blue Babe and I are taking around.

DEATH_INC.
8th November 2007, 07:26
I don't see any of the vertical posts in that picture (that are supposed to be the main source of damage for bikers), it looks like just several wire ropes. Depending on how securely the vertical posts are fixed to the ground and the wire rope (and the spacing), they might've stopped that?
The vertical posts are not permanently attached to the ground, they just sit into a fixture, and are designed to break and or pull out when hit hard enough. This is to help absorb the energy and make them easy to replace.

deanohit
8th November 2007, 07:49
God, that is such a great pic, you could explain the effects of these barriers till your blue in the face, or just show them that pic, the proof right in front of their face.

Although now after seeing that, I'm even going to be worried driving past in my cage as I thought I would be fine if I some how managed to hit them, guess not.

kiwifruit
8th November 2007, 08:56
scary image

MSTRS
8th November 2007, 09:02
Perfect support piccy for my contention that cheesecutters are not safe for anyone. Thanks for posting that.

Mental Trousers
8th November 2007, 09:05
Anybody got any figures of how many trucks have been through those barriers??

xx accidents involving trucks were not stopped by Wire Rope Barriers in the last year looks like some useful propaganda.

HenryDorsetCase
8th November 2007, 09:07
also, a concrete barrier for a car makes the cars crumple zones work as intended, i.e. more safer-er.

hitting a wire rope at speed? instant convertible, not to mention haircut.

Fub@r
8th November 2007, 10:12
Print out this pic and take it with ya when you approach cage drivers to sign the petitions, they're not just a menace to us....

I'll be adding this picture to petition pages when I do my lunchtime signature roundup again today

crashe
8th November 2007, 10:55
Interesting pic I found..... wonder how many cage drivers would still like 'em if they'd been in this...

This picture is about to be circulated within the Labour Party MP's in Parliament... with a brief message...... plus the message that I read out at the protest ride in Auckland.

Fub@r
8th November 2007, 12:09
This picture is about to be circulated within the Labour Party MP's in Parliament... with a brief message...... plus the message that I read out at the protest ride in Auckland.

Picture works a treat. I have just gotten another 5 pages signed using that picture during my lunchbreak.

Total so far is 15 pages signed. I have dropped off petition forms in 3 large local businesses with 100+ staff each. Will collect them next week

crashe
8th November 2007, 12:14
Picture works a treat. I have just gotten another 5 pages signed using that picture during my lunchbreak.

Total so far is 15 pages signed. I have dropped off petition forms in 3 large local businesses with 100+ staff each. Will collect them next week

Hey mate can you print out another copy of that picture....
My printer is out of toner and doesnt do colour.

Can meet you to pick it up when you head home or something...
cheers.

I dropped off the petition (6 pages) off at Henderson Motorcycles yesterday....
Half a page filled up so far... it is sitting on the counter.

Fub@r
8th November 2007, 12:22
Hey mate can you print out another copy of that picture....
My printer is out of toner and doesnt do colour.

Can meet you to pick it up when you head home or something...
cheers.

I dropped off the petition (6 pages) off at Henderson Motorcycles yesterday....
Half a page filled up so far... it is sitting on the counter.

Do you want more than one? Can print a few if you like.

Has anyone dropped a copy in to the Motomail shops? If not I will drop them in.

If people can walk around their business areas during your lunchbreaks you can easily fill a few pages. Will try the central viaduct basin area tomorrow. Need to push hard over the next few weeks as most people I approach are well aware of what happened the other week due to the press coverage and people are far more willing to sign

crashe
8th November 2007, 12:27
Do you want more than one? Can print a few if you like.

Has anyone dropped a copy in to the Motomail shops? If not I will drop them in.

Awwwwww can you, that would be great to have a few copies.
Cheers.

Other places are Wild West Honda on Great North Rd in New Lynn ( old Repco shop near the BP garage)

Also Motohaus in Kingsland

What about the Scooter shops???????

Pwalo
8th November 2007, 12:29
also, a concrete barrier for a car makes the cars crumple zones work as intended, i.e. more safer-er.

hitting a wire rope at speed? instant convertible, not to mention haircut.

That's a really good point. I'm sure that the car manufacturers/safety organisations would be a bit concerned with crumple zones not being able to function correctly.

NotaGoth
8th November 2007, 12:30
The proof is in the pudding...

Sanx
8th November 2007, 13:27
The image, along with a couple of superfluous words, has been posted onthe website.

Fub@r
8th November 2007, 14:22
I have called Motomail and they are happy to have the petition in their stores so I will drop off copies to the main shop and outlet shop this afternoon. When I go to the outlet shop I will drop in and see Kerry at Motohaus and drop a copy in their also.

DEATH_INC.
8th November 2007, 20:17
Anybody got any figures of how many trucks have been through those barriers??

xx accidents involving trucks were not stopped by Wire Rope Barriers in the last year looks like some useful propaganda.
If you look into the standard they are tested to you'll see there is a statement saying they are not tested for any two wheeled vehicle unpowered or not.
The level 3 test ( remember this is what the cheesecutters are tested to) is only up to a 2 tonne pickup ( 2008 toyota landcruiser auto curb weight 2.586 ton, 1/2 ton more than this!)

lemme see if I can find it.....
Here's the words of the report... ' Note that no provisions
are made herein for the design and testing of safety features
for two-wheeled vehicles-powered or unpowered.'

see attachments below for the specs...

Note how there is no allowance for anything that is not a sedan or pickup; convertables, sportscars, buckets, trucks, buses etc etc are not even considered at level 3!

Mental Trousers
8th November 2007, 20:42
So they're not designed to handle 10 ton trucks etc. Some actual figures of how many trucks have gone through them would reinforce the fact they suck nicely.

DEATH_INC.
9th November 2007, 17:39
I think that'd be damn hard to find, you'd hafta look at all the truck crashes, see where they happened, see what happened and work it out...... I kinda doubt there will be a file specifically for trucks going through wrb's...

DEATH_INC.
9th November 2007, 17:52
I wonder how they can use this standard actually (been thinking again, never good) , we pay rego to use their road, so the road is for bikes, if the barriers aren't designed for use with bikes, then this makes the road not suitable for use with bikes. Not fit for purpose maybe? Do the ltnz owe me a shiteload of rego for supplying the wrong product? :eek: where's my lawyer???

Bullitt
9th November 2007, 18:38
If you look at the videos of them crash testing Rovers into them all the posts are there for is to hold the wires up, the car rips out of the ground/bends flat (im not sure which) everyone it touches

El Dopa
9th November 2007, 18:39
The Monash study from which that picture is taken is available on thier website. Makes interesting reading.

I will certainly be referring to it in the letters I intend to write this weekend to various MP's.