PDA

View Full Version : Wellington to Auckland?

iand
9th November 2007, 01:20
how long do you reckon it would take to do a good route from wellington to auckland? probably on a bandit 600/ pegaso 650/ v-strom 650

i am travelling the south island with my girlfriend but then i need to fly home from auckland, was thinking i could get the ferry from picton to wellington then hire a bike and ride up to auckland for my flight home.

Ian

jrandom
9th November 2007, 04:37
The boring route, straight up SH1, takes 8 hours if you don't go fast enough to get pulled over.

Riding that way sucks, really hard.

My favourite route from Taupo north:

Turn left onto Pohipi Rd just after town, ride to the end and turn right onto SH32. Carry on, then turn left onto Whakamaru Rd, stay on that road and take SH30 to Te Kuiti. Turn right onto SH3 at Te Kuiti, ride north on SH3 to Otorohanga. At Otorohanga, turn left onto Kawhia Rd, and stay on it until you get to Ngaruawahia.

In Ngaruawahia, get back onto SH1 for a few hundred metres, then turn left onto Waingaro Rd, left again to stay on Waingaro, then follow it out through Glen Massey, Te Akatea and Waingaro, then bear right onto SH22.

Keep yourself on SH22 and it'll spit you out at either Mercer or Pukekohe, depending on how confused you get when the roads start to split off. Either one puts you straight back on the main motorway (SH1) into Auckland, and you're there.

Total travel time from Taupo to Auckland on that route: 3-5 hours, depending on how you ride. You're unlikely to see any cops on the abovementioned roads. Not that I'd ever advocate riding faster than the open-road speed limit, of course.

:innocent:

I'll let someone else suggest a route from Wellington to Taupo.

If you're going to ride the likes of the route I described, you'll need a road atlas and you'll be stopping here and there to figure out where you are.

But that's just part of the fun eh?

Grahameeboy
9th November 2007, 05:31
Don't ask Dan, he has to get up early just to get to Newmarket by 9.30......

BMW
9th November 2007, 05:46
took me 8 hrs the normal boring way and stopping for the loo and something to eat.
You could rush it or take other roads, but that is up to you!

Nasty
9th November 2007, 06:54
Can you hire a bike in Wellington ... hmmm .. never knew that :)

Bass
9th November 2007, 07:32
Can you hire a bike in Wellington ... hmmm .. never knew that :)

Are there any bike hire organisations in Unzud that allow one way hires?

skelstar
9th November 2007, 08:01
I'll let someone else suggest a route from Wellington to Taupo.
Hmm... Wgtn SH1 to Sanson, turn right onto SH3 and head to Feilding via SH54... head north through Feilding to Chelmsford on SH54, through Vinegar Hill (nice and twisty) and right onto SH1. Cops cops through Taihape and onto Waiouru. I go left onto SH49, nice fast roads some sweepers around the mountain and onto SH4. National Park. Taumaranui (still SH4) and through to Eigth Mile Junc (SH3) is a SWEET peice of road. Don't often see cops but.... Te Kuiti and carry on with some of JRandom's instructions.

I know I didn't include Taupo... only because this would be quicker I guess.

Another option I've tried: at Waiouru carry on N on SH1 (cops cops cops) and turn left at Turangi SH41, right at Kuratau Junc onto SH32, sweet peice of road though to SH30 where you turn left as per JR's instructions.

Then theres the Waipapa Rd but prob best if someone is showing you the way.

TerminalAddict
9th November 2007, 08:05
Hmm... Wgtn SH1 to Sanson, turn right onto SH3 and head to Feilding via SH54... head north through Feilding to Chelmsford on SH54, through Vinegar Hill (nice and twisty) and right onto SH1. Cops cops through Taihape and onto Waiouru. I go left onto SH49, nice fast roads some sweepers around the mountain and onto SH4. National Park. Taumaranui (still SH4) and through to Eigth Mile Junc (SH3) is a SWEET peice of road. Don't often see cops but.... Te Kuiti and carry on with some of JRandom's instructions.

I know I didn't include Taupo... only because this would be quicker I guess.

Another option I've tried: at Waiouru carry on N on SH1 (cops cops cops) and turn left at Turangi SH41, right at Kuratau Junc onto SH32, sweet peice of road though to SH30 where you turn left as per JR's instructions.

Then theres the Waipapa Rd but prob best if someone is showing you the way.

I'd do the same .. but I'd turn right at foxton or levin, and head through palmerston north

skelstar
9th November 2007, 08:13
True, right after Levin eh, Palmy, Ashurst, Vinegar Hill and so on. Hmm... haven't tried that iteration.

Another is to go through the Wairarapa, Pahiatua Track (turn off SH2 at Pahiatua), Ashurst, Vinegar Hill. Did this route via Raglan, SH22 on day (850kms) and then did the ATNR that night. Bit knackered at the end of that day :mellow:

sunhuntin
9th November 2007, 08:33
yep, go up through shannon... great road along there. i love it... its more protected from the wind than the foxton straits too. and not half as boring.

skelstar
9th November 2007, 08:49
If you're onto it (and I nealry was last i tried) you head due north through the intersection at Shannon and you can eventually come out well into the Vinegar Hill road, bypassing Feiding altogether.

jrandom
9th November 2007, 08:56
Did this route via Raglan, SH22 on day (850kms) and then did the ATNR that night. Bit knackered at the end of that day :mellow:

On the Hornet?

See, that's what I'm saying in my 'which new bike' thread. I'd love to be able to stay on a bike for 1000km without ending up in agony. Did plenty of 700+km days on my old Zeal without batting an eyelid, so I know it's possible.

TerminalAddict
9th November 2007, 08:58
piece of piss doing 1000kms on a hornet :)

Grand Challenge number 1 completed for me this year.

2200 kms completed in 36 hours

007XX
9th November 2007, 09:06

Yep, I'd strongly recommend that way too...:yes: Did that for the KB Birthday Bash, and it is an awesome ride.

Just one thing to watch out for: a lot of road works after Taumaranui, with fresh gravel was there when I went through...but it could have cleared now.

I reckon it's a safer way though, as it's not boring, many more sweeping corners than on the dreary SH1 :yawn:

Oh, and btw: I did that ride from Auckland and back on a VTR 250, so don't worry, you'll be fine on anything bigger :niceone:

jrandom
9th November 2007, 09:10
In SH1's defence, it would be just fine and dandy in my books if I was allowed to do 250kph all the way between Auckland and Wellington.

:Pokey:

I'm pretty sure I could save time that way over driving to the airport, getting on a plane, getting off at the other end and taxiing to my destination.

007XX
9th November 2007, 09:21
In SH1's defence, it would be just fine and dandy in my books if I was allowed to do 250kph all the way between Auckland and Wellington.

:Pokey:

I'm pretty sure I could save time that way over driving to the airport, getting on a plane, getting off at the other end and taxiing to my destination.

Very valid point, master Jrandom (as usual :D)...I wonder how a Speed Triple would handle such a task? :innocent:

jrandom
9th November 2007, 09:39
Very valid point, master Jrandom (as usual :D)...I wonder how a Speed Triple would handle such a task? :innocent:

Nowhere near as well as a GSX-R1000, but my point is, of course, that one is not allowed to travel at that speed, and bikes that fold you up onto high pegs behind a fairing just don't come into their own unless you are. Or unless you can restrict your travels to under 400kph each day. Might as well be on a pushbike; I know plenty of guys who do 200km days on their Treks and Cervelos.

007XX
9th November 2007, 09:43
Nowhere near as well as a GSX-R1000, but my point is, of course, that one is not allowed to travel at that speed, and bikes that fold you up onto high pegs behind a fairing just don't come into their own unless you are. Or unless you can restrict your travels to under 400kph each day. Might as well be on a pushbike; I know plenty of guys who do 200km days on their Treks and Cervelos.

I was really referring to the Speed Triple for the comfort factor...but yes, speedwise, she would not be on the par of the GSX-R1000, I agree.

How sad that some of us cannot just have two bikes, eh? :crybaby:

skelstar
9th November 2007, 09:47
On the Hornet?
Yeah on the Hornet. Could do the 230kms non-stop/and repeat that the tank provided but had sore knees by then. Can manage 150kms NS on the RSV so far... considering coming up to Puke for the racing next week for my first long trip on the RSV so will be able to comment then regarding comfort.

Hitcher
9th November 2007, 19:43
how long do you reckon it would take to do a good route from wellington to auckland?

Depends on how much foreplay you enjoy.

Lucy
9th November 2007, 21:03
No one has mentioned going to Wanganui and then up the Paraparas. I might have to try the Ashurst Shannon way myself one day for a change.

MWVT
9th November 2007, 21:14
No one has mentioned going to Wanganui and then up the Paraparas. I might have to try the Ashurst Shannon way myself one day for a change.

I second that, stuff vinegar hill, and the taihape waiouru section. Straight through to wanganui, through to SH4, western arm on taupo, meander your way north and west and then mostly north to end up in akl.

MaxB
9th November 2007, 21:53
What about SH3 over the Rimutakas and on to Napier. Then the Napier-Taupo, SH1 then SH27, Tahuna-Ohinewai and then SH1 to Auckland? Pretty simple if you are new to NZ.

A bit over 100km out of your way but heaps of touristy sights and so forth.

iand
10th November 2007, 03:24
thanks guys (and gals)

i'll have to look it all up on a map and plot a route, gonna try to spread it out over 3-4 days,
can anyone point me to any good places to visit on the way up?

clint640
12th November 2007, 11:45
thanks guys (and gals)

i'll have to look it all up on a map and plot a route, gonna try to spread it out over 3-4 days,
can anyone point me to any good places to visit on the way up?

Good suggestions above, East Cape & Coromandel are worth a look also with that timeframe. Get a copy of the NZ motorcycle atlas, published by Hema Maps - all the good stuff is highlighted, there's lots of useful general info & it's not expensive.

What you want to visit depends on what you're into really. I'd definitely include a look at the volcanos of the Tongariro National Park, even just the views from the desert road can be spectacular on a good day.

Cheers
Clint

jrandom
12th November 2007, 12:45
What about SH3 over the Rimutakas and on to Napier.

That's SH2, not SH3, and after the Rimutakas it's boring as fuck, only difference to SH1 is less traffic. Don't ride north that way.

Hitcher
12th November 2007, 13:45
That's SH2, not SH3, and after the Rimutakas it's boring as fuck

Only if one continues the journey the whole way on SH2. Turning off at Masterton and taking route 52 to Waipukurau, followed by a short jaunt along SH2 to Waipawa before heading east to Patangata and a choice of magnificent roads that lead to Havelock North/Hastings could hardly be described as "boring as fuck", unless one had yet to discover the heady delights which comprise an appropriately aroused feminine anatomy.

jrandom
12th November 2007, 13:49
Only if one continues the journey the whole way on SH2. Turning off at Masterton and taking route 52 to Waipukurau, followed by a short jaunt along SH2 to Waipawa before heading east to Patangata and a choice of magnificent roads that lead to Havelock North/Hastings could hardly be described as "boring as fuck"...

Yes, a route like that would be good.

SH2 all the way makes me want to kick my bike and tear the eyeballs out of something small and furry. I randomly decided to go that way the other weekend and spent 300km regretting it. Didn't have a map, didn't know any of the roads to the east, had to get to Auckland by bedtime, etc.

And yes, also, this is why I want something that isn't a GSXR.

Hitcher
13th November 2007, 10:49
And yes, also, this is why I want something that isn't a GSXR.

You know you so want an ZRX1200R. Whoar.

jrandom
13th November 2007, 10:51
You know you so want an ZRX1200R. Whoar.

Mmyerrs. I shall keep my eye out for one.

Why did Kawasaki stop building them?

:crybaby:

Hitcher
13th November 2007, 11:08
Why did Kawasaki stop building them?

Kawasaki hasn't. It's still a current model in Australia. I'm sure your friendly Kawasaki dealer could get you a new one on indent for about NZ$17,000. The later models have a tank that's 2 litres larger than mine (the 2002 model) had.

I really rate these things, as you no doubt know.

Another model in the Kawasaki stable you may wish to consider is the ZZR1200. I almost tossed a coin between one of those and the FJR last year, such was my level of temptation.

Headbanger
13th November 2007, 11:51
Hmm... Wgtn SH1 to Sanson, turn right onto SH3 and head to Feilding via SH54....

Just thought I would mention, instead of turing left or right at Sanson, You can continue straight ahead instead, shes a fun little road that splits and either takes you straight into Fielding or through to Halcombe.

If someone was on their way to Wanganui it lets you shoot through to Marton, Turikina while avoiding the main roads. And its packed solid with interesting corners.

Hitcher
13th November 2007, 11:53
Just thought I would mention, instead of turing left or right at Sanson, You can continue straight ahead instead, shes a fun little road that splits and either takes you straight into Fielding or through to Halcombe.

Seconded..

MaxB
14th November 2007, 21:17
That's SH2, not SH3, and after the Rimutakas it's boring as fuck, only difference to SH1 is less traffic. Don't ride north that way.

Oops. Brain must've wanted to go to New Plymouth instead.

Exactly how do you propose to ride north from Wellington? You have 2 choices, State 1 or 2. You are pretty much stuck on SH1 until Levin. Roadworks, accidents etc will really stuff up your day. I used to do that trip for work.

On 2 once you get to Featherston there are heaps of little sideroads and if you know what you are doing you can bypass Masterton, Carterton etc. When you get to Pahiatua you then have the option of rejoining 1 via Palmy (or on to Woodville and the Gorge near where SH3 begins)

Finally, my post was written with Iand in mind. AFAIK he is a tourist from the UK who is new to NZ and on a rental bike. He is going to find the roads and driving standards a lot different to what he is used to.

skelstar
14th November 2007, 22:54
Just thought I would mention, instead of turing left or right at Sanson...
Yep, done that. Unfort it was straight into road works out the back for me, but prob still faster than left or right.

Its my usual route to Manfield for the racing.

iand
20th December 2007, 07:42
Oops. Brain must've wanted to go to New Plymouth instead.

Exactly how do you propose to ride north from Wellington? You have 2 choices, State 1 or 2. You are pretty much stuck on SH1 until Levin. Roadworks, accidents etc will really stuff up your day. I used to do that trip for work.

On 2 once you get to Featherston there are heaps of little sideroads and if you know what you are doing you can bypass Masterton, Carterton etc. When you get to Pahiatua you then have the option of rejoining 1 via Palmy (or on to Woodville and the Gorge near where SH3 begins)

Finally, my post was written with Iand in mind. AFAIK he is a tourist from the UK who is new to NZ and on a rental bike. He is going to find the roads and driving standards a lot different to what he is used to.

different how? sounds a bit scary!!!

thanks(i think?!?!) for all the advise/routes