PDA

View Full Version : Rental track day bikes

FROSTY
9th November 2007, 22:14
Ive been aproached by a couple of people about having rental track day bikes.
Basicly 2 or 3 year old 600s and maybee some 400's
Could I have some feedback on your opinions and would you use the bikes

riffer
9th November 2007, 22:17
If I ever got the cash together to get to a track day (you know how it is with the four kid thing) this is an option I would DEFINITELY be looking at.

FROSTY
10th November 2007, 10:23
anyone else ?

El Dopa
10th November 2007, 11:10
anyone else ?

A qualified yes.

My finances are a little up in the air at the moment, and it is quite possible that I may in the near future be (temporarily) street bikeless.

As I also wouldn't have the ready cash to buy and maintain a dedicated track toy, being able to rock up and track ride without the attendant transport or maintainence hassles is attactive.

As I'm also beginning to think the track is where it's at, I'll say yes, depending on the deal.

cowpoos
10th November 2007, 14:24
good idea in theory...but has many many drawbacks...bigest of all is the liability side of things...bikes are not insurable...so how do you force the other party to pay once its writen off...take them to court $$$$$$???????$$$$$$ are you going to be able to prove it was their riding??? not the fact that the bike was ill prepared?? was the suspension setup incorrect for the 100+kg riders ,because it was setup for a 65kg bantam weight?? the rubber was old and dry?? was it the tracks fault?? like the first round of the vic winter series??

now costings?? 8-10 k bike...and rubber...and interest...depreciation...who supplys fuel? transportation?? liabilitys in concern with tyre pressure not being right and wreaking a brand new tyre?? etc...

as much as this could easily work...to even break even I dare say the hirage fee would be rediculass...and make a trackday cost prohibitive to all but the few with larger than average wallets...which can usually afford a dedicated track bike anyway...and as much as it may seem I'm putting a massive damper on the idea frosty...so after I started leasing bikes I looked at this very concept...even with bulk buying power,cheaper than mere mortals interest rates,etc...all the figures were worked out meticulasly...and things did seriously not add up...especially as you can get trackday insurance on a road bike these days...so if you get some scratchs on your bike or a complete write off...you get it looking new again...and you can't get insurance for a trackday bike hiring enterprise.

Swoop
10th November 2007, 14:42
bikes are not insurable...

so how do you force the other party to pay once its writen off...take them to court $$$$$$???????$$$$$$ are you going to be able to prove it was their riding??? not the fact that the bike was ill prepared?? was the suspension setup incorrect for the 100+kg riders ,because it was setup for a 65kg bantam weight??
If bikes are not insureable at trackdays, why do some insurers cover them?

Who the hell would rent a spewzuki at a trackday anyway? They crash in corners... (waits for typical, tired, boring old "ghey Honda riding fag" response...):bleh:

cowpoos
10th November 2007, 15:56
If bikes are not insureable at trackdays, why do some insurers cover them?

Who the hell would rent a spewzuki at a trackday anyway? They crash in corners... (waits for typical, tired, boring old "ghey Honda riding fag" response...):bleh:
bike specifically for the purpose of riding at trackdays.

cowboyz
10th November 2007, 16:09
I would definitely be interested but the cost would be the biggest factor. If I had to pay an excess for the damage caused to a hired bike to get it repaired then I might as well pay the excess in getting my own bike fixed. The biggest thing for me is to get a bike that can handle a slide down the track. I wouldnt expect it to be looking mint when I hoped on it. I could be convinced in paying an excess if I wrote the bike off (as in bent it up) but not for scratches and broken fairings.

Brainfade
13th November 2007, 12:06
I'd rent one, how much do You reckon it would cost?

Ralph
30th November 2007, 07:32
I think it this sounds like a good idea and would be interested depending on the cost of hire and the excess payable if the worst where to happen of course.
I'd prefer to pay the excess on someone else's bike than on mine and have
my premiums go up.
That said, at the end of the day I'm not sure you would get the insurance deal
and the customer base to make it truly worth while for what NZ's are willing to pay.

Mort
5th December 2007, 13:36
I think there would be a market - especially for tourists/visitors. NZ is a great place to tour why not throw in a track day too... I have a mate in the UK for instance who would definately do it when he comes over...

It would also be good for track day virgins.... who dont want to chance using their own bikes (for whatever reason).

In the UK, track day hire firms do exist but I think the only ones who stay in business are Trackday organisers themselves... as an add on service. I think you are in a good position for that Frosty.

shafty
5th December 2007, 14:08
I would be very reluctant to take my ST on the track, and would be happy to pay for the experience of a rental racer............

BigG
5th December 2007, 15:31
You are talking Track Days and not race days so whats all the talk of writing bikes off, all the track days I've bin at there hasnt been any bikes totaled some offs yes and minor dammage. Rental has to be realistic but for some they would push a rental a bit quicker than their own eh! Its a good concept, it's done a lot overseas why not here. $300.00 for the day would be good all up.

Mort
6th December 2007, 09:59
Prices in the UK tend to be around the 200 pounds mark ($540) ... plus a deposit....

jim.cox
6th December 2007, 10:14
Ive been aproached by a couple of people about having rental track day bikes.
Basicly 2 or 3 year old 600s and maybee some 400's
Could I have some feedback on your opinions and would you use the bikes

Nice idea

I'd be keen

It would be really great to have access to a new (as in not vintage, as in not currently belonging to me) bike for the purposes of punting rapidly around a track.

600's or 750 please

DUCATI*HARD
6th December 2007, 10:40
id be keen for a 1000cc:Punk: