PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid

Mrs Busa Pete
10th November 2007, 07:34
the question was asked the other day over debating what was wrong with the front brakes .HOW MANY KMS OR MONTHS DO YOU REPLACE THE FLUID in todays high kms use of bikes ,pads seam to last longer than before but if you do 24-30 thousand kms a year is that asking to much of the fluid .the service programe for my busa dosent make much referance to this area so what does the panel have to say on the mater:sherlock:

NZsarge
10th November 2007, 07:41
the question was asked the other day over debating what was wrong with the front brakes .HOW MANY KMS OR MONTHS DO YOU REPLACE THE FLUID in todays high kms use of bikes ,pads seam to last longer than before but if you do 24-30 thousand kms a year is that asking to much of the fluid .the service programe for my busa dosent make much referance to this area so what does the panel have to say on the mater:sherlock:

Honestly I don't know, check the handbook if ya got one. I will do mine before summer start in earnest just need to sort some braided lines first:niceone:
If you think that fluid need replacing mate just do it, fluid is'nt an arm and a leg and if it keeps brakes up to it why not eh.
Just be sure to get the correct DOT rated fluid though.

Mrs Busa Pete
10th November 2007, 07:49
i dont use the brakes that much i ride at a consistant pace and let the bike do the work having a pilion on 60% of the time i try not to upset them by screaming in to corners and pulling on the pics more set my self up for things ahead of time .at the pub the track day boys said 10thousand kms

muzz
10th November 2007, 07:50
I change my brake fluid every 3 months,
As brake fluid will draw moisture through the rubber lines
the more riding that you do and the hotter your brakes get the more you should change it

Mrs Busa Pete
10th November 2007, 07:52
this busa is only 6months old with 12thou on it

muzz
10th November 2007, 07:56

age doesnt come into it but usage does.

NinjaNanna
10th November 2007, 07:57
The hand book for my late model VFR spec'd every 2 yrs or 24,000kms. Was the same for the hydrolic clutch fluid as well (they both used DOT4 brake fluid)

The reason for it is as Muzz said - due to the tendancy for the fluid to trap moisture

NZsarge
10th November 2007, 07:58

Handbook, does that say when it should be done?
BTW the one and only Busa I have riden had freakin' shocking brakes!! It was an '03 done about 15K. I was disgusted, my 60k bike has waayyy better brakes, for a bike capable of such high speed I was suprised.
Dont mean to be Busa bashing but I had to get that out....

muzz
10th November 2007, 08:08
As brake fluid ages, the corrosion-inhibiting additives in it break down. The earliest signs of chemical decomposition can often be detected within a year or so, or after 10,000 to 12,000 miles of normal driving. Hard use that elevates brake temperatures and pressures can accelerate the rate at which the fluid additives break down even more.
Moisture also creeps into the system to further add to the contamination problem. Humidity in the air can be drawn into the fluid anytime the fluid reservoir is opened for inspection or anytime a brake hose, line or bleeder valve is opened when servicing the brakes. Even if the fluid reservoir is never opened, moisture will still infiltrate the system through microscopic pores in rubber brake hose. The rate at which this happens depends on the age of the vehicle and the type of brake hose used. Newer hose made with linings that are less permeable to moisture help extend the life of the fluid. Even so, moisture can still slip past piston seals in wheel cylinders and calipers.

jonbuoy
10th November 2007, 08:18
Every year, all the crap and water seems to collect in the caliper.

scumdog
10th November 2007, 08:36
The next time I replace my brake-fluid will be the first.

Never have done it in years (except if I've had a caliper off) and never had a problem.

If I was using silicone fluid I would be more concerned as it does not absorbe the moisture but leaves it as tiny globules of water that will do more harm than the tiny % absorbed into standard fluid.

Expecting a flood of "you should..." posts anytime soon.:wait::corn:

muzz
10th November 2007, 08:48
When you get moisture in your fluid and your brakes get hot the moisture is drawn to the heat, the wheel cylinders being the hotest part that the fluid is in.
Did you know that water expands to something like 600 times its size when hot (steam).
steam can be compressed and if you are compressing steam then you have less pressure in your brake system leading to brake failure.
And because the moisture is drawn to the wheel cylinder it will also pull the dirt in the system with it.

muzz
10th November 2007, 09:21
Expecting a flood of "you should..." posts anytime soon.:wait::corn:

Well scumdog you should...
nah you are a big boy now, you make up your own mind.

Mrs Busa Pete
10th November 2007, 09:26
this is not about busa brakes its just a look see at what people did or dident do i changed the fluid on the old busa when i got it and again when i fitted braded lines .being under waranty now havent done much to it and as we are getting an 08 busa in january probobly wont tuch it at all and yes the brakes are still shit on the busa compared to a pure sport bike so no track days for busa pete [well on a busa any way] the bike in question is a gsxr 1100 and we desided that a reco of the master cilander was in order if he keeped it for another year plus a fluid replacement imediatly

FROSTY
10th November 2007, 10:28
Do ya have lever travel issues? -if ya do then yep start with the fluid--otherwise stick with the 24 month thing .

The Stranger
10th November 2007, 10:59
Just spoke to the guys at Race Brakes.
Their advice -
General road vehicles every 24 months.
Performance vehicles being driven hard (track work etc) every 12 months.
Race vehicles every meeting.

PLUG - Ok, they deal with cages, but these guys really know their shit! They have many grades of pads and discs for a wide variety of vehicles and you can get significantly better brakes a lot cheaper than using genuine parts. 0800 BRAKES

laRIKin
10th November 2007, 11:26
On my dirt bikes I change the fluid every 3 to 6 months. (because of all the water I ride though)
On my road bikes 6 to 12 months.
On the cars every 12 to 24 months or if I'm working on them.

Why.

Every had your brakes stop doing what they are suppose to do, that is stop or slow you down?
When I was racing once, on one corner they were good and the next, the lever hit the handle bars, no brakes up front at all.
I had to stop to see what had happened (and change my undies) and I had my brakes back in time it took to take my helmet off.
I put my helmet back on and went out on the track again.
For the rest of the race, my brakes were fine.
They went away fast and came back fast.

To me, for a dollars and a few minutes to change to fluid is better than Hospital food.

You are all big boys and girls,(as said) your choice.

For me I change it and do not care what type of fluid I'm using.

madmal64
10th November 2007, 11:56
Im another in the 24 month catergory. In fact she's in for a bloody well deserved service on monday. The service light came on near the end of the 1000k cruise last Saturday. All fluids & filters changed, new plugs etc.
Did new chains & sprockets + tyres last week so it will be bloody brilliant for summer. I find you really notice just how much better the whole bike feels and runs when its just been serviced and new rubber on the road.

jonbuoy
10th November 2007, 15:45
Brake fluid $20, One man bleeder kit $20, knowing your brakes will work - priceless.

FROSTY
10th November 2007, 15:58
Actually darn good point.If you're going to all that effort putting in fluid. Goes without saying to use NEW fluid from a sealed bottle.
I use old (as in new fluid from an open container) fluid for cleaning up gunged up pistons or for getting rid of really old fluid.

laRIKin
10th November 2007, 18:27
Actually darn good point.If you're going to all that effort putting in fluid. Goes without saying to use NEW fluid from a sealed bottle.
I use old (as in new fluid from an open container) fluid for cleaning up gunged up pistons or for getting rid of really old fluid.

Good to hear that you have changed your tune from last time we talked about brake fluid.:Pokey::devil2::lol:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=103032&postcount=17

Pancakes
10th November 2007, 20:42
I agree with The Stranger about the Race Brakes guys, Very good at what they do.

I go thru Front pads in ~4,000K's and Rear in maybe 8,000. I bleed up the front ones when I'm just doing those pads and do a full new fluid bleed when doing both sets cos then it's worth getting a sealed bottle and using most of it straight away.

Max Preload
10th November 2007, 21:28
Every time I do pads on bikes and cars. There's nothing more detrimental to your braking system than dirty damp fluid.

FROSTY
10th November 2007, 21:55
Good to hear that you have changed your tune from last time we talked about brake fluid.:Pokey::devil2::lol:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=103032&postcount=17
notune changing here -Changing fluid is a different story and different methodology to brake bleeding.

laRIKin
11th November 2007, 06:38
notune changing here -Changing fluid is a different story and different methodology to brake bleeding.

Interesting view.:brick:

Mrs Busa Pete
11th November 2007, 07:00
I agree with The Stranger about the Race Brakes guys, Very good at what they do.

I go thru Front pads in ~4,000K's and Rear in maybe 8,000. I bleed up the front ones when I'm just doing those pads and do a full new fluid bleed when doing both sets cos then it's worth getting a sealed bottle and using most of it straight away.

what do you do rid with them on how do you only get 4000ks out of the front pads are you using the super soft pad

muzz
11th November 2007, 07:13
OK so I'm a bit paranoid about the brake fluid change because the rear brakes on the duc goes spongy after 6 months and have had them fail on me a couple of times.
If I change the fluid regularly there is no problem and for the price of a fluid change, well.

laRIKin
11th November 2007, 19:43
Have a read of this and it all will become clearer.

http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/fluid.shtml

Pancakes
11th November 2007, 19:57
what do you do rid with them on how do you only get 4000ks out of the front pads are you using the super soft pad

The std ones on these (Hyosungs) are soft as shit and I got maybe 2500K's (including running bike in and getting back into riding etc) out of them before the was literally nothing left. Single front disc so would I get 8000K's out of them if I had twin discs? Maybe. Maybe even more cos they wouldn't get as hot so they would wear even slower.

AKUMA
5th December 2007, 18:32
I have some brake fluid from 0800 racebrakes and it is really good stuff.
Im going to use this in my bike when it arrives on saturday.

I might also look into getting some pads off them as well due to the zx's brakes being a little overloaded with me on it!
As far as time intervals for changing fluid, go to pitstop and get them to test the fluid! Change it when you have to rather than pour money down the drain!

Pussy
6th December 2007, 11:15
For what it's worth, I change the fluid in our bikes every 12 months. I always use Castrol Response Super Dot 4, comes in the silver coloured bottle. This fluid is clear, and discolours when it's starting to age. The brakes always feel better with new Super Dot 4