PDA

View Full Version : My first big ride!!!

tinkabell
24th October 2004, 13:54
Our weekend off!!! YEAH a sleep in til 6:45AM, breakfast, dressed, then off to fuel up, for my first big trip, all the way to Pukekohe Race Track. I started out from Maungatapere at about 8am while Kev went to collect a couple of mates, I only have my 250 and they have 750s and 1000s, I needed a head start. Waited for them at Wellsford, and while our mates had breakfast there I started off again by myself and they caught up with me on the motorway about 10minutes away form the Bombay Service Centre. It was my first time ever on the motorway on my bike, man there are some crazies down there. I was very pleased with my self though, no one had to wait for me, because while they fueled up I carried on to the track and met them there.
We arrived just in time for the bikes first turn on the track, so although we were just going to watch, I reckon Kev works bloody hard and deserves to go and and play occassionally, so him and his mates went straight to the track and paid later.
What an awesome day!!!!!
The ride home was a bit slower, it started raining south side of the harbour bridge and was blowing hard enough to buffet my bike around, a little scary, but not enough to scare me off.
I got to meet Zed who pointed out a few others who are Kiwi biker members, also met Dari, you did very well out there on the track seeing as it was your first time, Im proud of you.
I hope everyone got home safely, and those of you who are going to Manfield have a good time.
All up I travelled 471kms. :ride:

T.I.E
24th October 2004, 14:14
can i ask what do you think of the gpx on long trips? i am 6ft and aint light and many times i have felt sad for my old gpx 250 carting me around. i am looking at getting my partner started and miss the old bike. any reccomendations or bikes?

i did alot of motorway kms on the gpx and changed the rear sproket to suite and found with the wind behind my back and a slight and guys i mean slight down hill (ok so i'm 100kgs) that she could move. 170 ain't bad with me on it.
also living in puhoi and riding into auckland i liked to have fun with the harley boys going to the pub. they just couldn't lean like i could so the courners were a laugh. but they had me on the straight.

have fun and let me know what ya think of it. :banana:

Ghost Lemur
24th October 2004, 14:34
Cool Tink. Good to hear you enjoyed yourself. :niceone:

What's next on the ajenda? SH22? Coro loop? Never be afraid of causing people to wait for you, no one minds, it's just part and parcel of group rides.

Hitcher
24th October 2004, 15:07
Well done Tink! Remember, it's not about arriving, it's about the journey!

Two Smoker
24th October 2004, 15:22
Hey Tink, congrats on the first big ride :niceone: next time come and say gidday, and we can have a yarn :niceone:

Antallica
24th October 2004, 15:48
Good effort!

Shame today's weather wasn't yesterday eh. Tried going to the beach with the fiancee but the front disc got rather hot (time to replace those forks I think).

Ms Piggy
24th October 2004, 16:15
Well done mate - sounds like a fun ride (inspite of the rain) :2thumbsup

nzkalt61
24th October 2004, 16:22
Tink Here. Yes we were hoping to bring a group form up North down past Pukekohe and stay at the Waingaro Hot Springs a night and back again. Another thought was invite all those who wanted to come and go up to the top and stay at the last camping grouds before Cape Reinga, its Karatia I think. Anyone interested? You are all invited, we will have to wait til our next weekend off and nice weather though.

toads
24th October 2004, 17:48
well done you! 471kms is a long haul for a little bike, but sounds like both you and the bike did admirably, glad you had a good day.

tinkabell
25th October 2004, 14:35
can i ask what do you think of the gpx on long trips? i am 6ft and aint light and many times i have felt sad for my old gpx 250 carting me around. i am looking at getting my partner started and miss the old bike. any reccomendations or bikes?

i did alot of motorway kms on the gpx and changed the rear sproket to suite and found with the wind behind my back and a slight and guys i mean slight down hill (ok so i'm 100kgs) that she could move. 170 ain't bad with me on it.
also living in puhoi and riding into auckland i liked to have fun with the harley boys going to the pub. they just couldn't lean like i could so the courners were a laugh. but they had me on the straight.

have fun and let me know what ya think of it. :banana:
My little bike did really well, I find it wobbles round the road a bit, especially when I corner, probably my lack of technique though, not the bikes fault. When I get my full licence I will probably upgrade to a GSXR400, or I saw a ZZR400, depends what fits best, and if the price is right.

aff-man
25th October 2004, 15:35
My little bike did really well, I find it wobbles round the road a bit, especially when I corner, probably my lack of technique though, not the bikes fault. When I get my full licence I will probably upgrade to a GSXR400, or I saw a ZZR400, depends what fits best, and if the price is right.

WEll done mate . First time on the motorway and that sorta distace. Did i meet you there?? I was the guy that looked like an upside down mop :lol: :lol: . As for upgrading why not a viffer/zxr/cbr400 they are way better than the gsxr and cost about the same. The zzr would be ok but it is sorta like the rf400 big and heavy.

Two Smoker
25th October 2004, 15:39
Hey Tink, was you mate on the 1999-2000 Yellow GSX-R750???? Coz i went around him on the hill and did a massive slide, gave me the shits and must have given him the shits lol.....

JohnBoy
30th October 2004, 19:56
Sharp! i once had a GPX250 and was one of the best beasties ive owned.
if your looking at up grading, keep with kwaks... not that i am bias :laugh:
i reconmend a ZZR or ZXR depending on how like riding. both types you can pick up fairly cheaply and can be resold quickly without too much hassle.
ZZR are simular to the GPX but allround alot better.
ZXR are pretty cool but long distances can be an issue if you taller than 4ft 5. (ie not asian) but very useful for the track.

tinkabell
3rd November 2004, 13:02
Hey Tink, was you mate on the 1999-2000 Yellow GSX-R750???? Coz i went around him on the hill and did a massive slide, gave me the shits and must have given him the shits lol.....
What bike were you riding, my husband rides the silver GSXR750 with braking wave discs, (photo in gallery nzkalt61), may have gone past you a couple of times, smiley face goes here!

magnum
4th November 2004, 05:39
good on ya :2thumbsup

inlinefour
2nd December 2004, 12:53
Our weekend off!!! YEAH a sleep in til 6:45AM, breakfast, dressed, then off to fuel up, for my first big trip, all the way to Pukekohe Race Track. I started out from Maungatapere at about 8am while Kev went to collect a couple of mates, I only have my 250 and they have 750s and 1000s, I needed a head start. Waited for them at Wellsford, and while our mates had breakfast there I started off again by myself and they caught up with me on the motorway about 10minutes away form the Bombay Service Centre. It was my first time ever on the motorway on my bike, man there are some crazies down there. I was very pleased with my self though, no one had to wait for me, because while they fueled up I carried on to the track and met them there.
We arrived just in time for the bikes first turn on the track, so although we were just going to watch, I reckon Kev works bloody hard and deserves to go and and play occassionally, so him and his mates went straight to the track and paid later.
What an awesome day!!!!!
The ride home was a bit slower, it started raining south side of the harbour bridge and was blowing hard enough to buffet my bike around, a little scary, but not enough to scare me off.
I got to meet Zed who pointed out a few others who are Kiwi biker members, also met Dari, you did very well out there on the track seeing as it was your first time, Im proud of you.
I hope everyone got home safely, and those of you who are going to Manfield have a good time.
All up I travelled 471kms. :ride:

Heres to many more eh :)