PDA

View Full Version : Riding as a new(ish) mum...

Number One
10th November 2007, 12:30
I sold my gorgeous, fantastic bike when I got pregnant, partly cost saving as the loan and rego were becoming a burden on top of the other two vehicles - especially staring down the barrel of a single income existence!
Partly also cos I didn't want to be struck by the temptation to ride pregnant. I'm sometimes ruled by the 'Murphy's law' thought pattern...you know, if someone is going to have a bad accident riding pregnant it'd be me.
Anyway - though I still feel like a biker and am jealous as all hell watching bikes pass me on the motorway between lanes and not being able to follow (as I would have so so long ago)...I wonder if I'll ever feel quite as confident and free as I used to on a bike?
I am definately more aware of my mortality and on my first two rides back (on hubbies lovely SV650) felt a little nervy, had some silly dropping experiences which knocked my confidence and worry now that my new found 'awareness' might interfere with my being able to do all the normal and 'right things' at the normal and right times. Anyone else experienced this? Got any advice?

Colapop
10th November 2007, 12:35
I reckon you'll be fine. It may take a bit before you get back on a bike but, it'll come back to you quite quickly. Kids have a way of proving that they can take a knock or two and it's usually only the parents that have the heart attacks.
Do what you want to do - your bub will thank you for it in the long term.

Zukin
10th November 2007, 12:39
Hi there and welcome back :)

What you describe sounds very normal :blink:
It will take a few rides to get back into the groove so to speak :)

You will be riding better before you know it

Cheers

Her_C4
10th November 2007, 12:58
Hi and welcome back:niceone:

My suggestion would be to just take it slowly and easily at your own pace - and don't expect too much of yourself to start. Small rides, easy roads etc. :2thumbsup

What about ridng a smaller cc bike for starters and 'finding your groove' as it were? :cool:

Good luck and keep practising....:niceone: you will be surprised at how quickly it all comes back.

PS I am soooo with you on the bike dropping thingy.......:wari:

MotoGirl
10th November 2007, 13:35
I wonder if I'll ever feel quite as confident and free as I used to on a bike?

I'm interested to see how this thread turns out in relation to this. I don't have kids so can't really help you, but I'd expect my riding to be subdued if there was a little someone waiting for me at home.

johnnyflash
10th November 2007, 13:44
Im sure you will get right back into the groove again, remember confidence and experience come with practice and time in the seat.. Remember also you are now a little older, hopefully wiser (hence the awareness of your mortality :lol: ) and can recognise more of the danger zones, just get on and get some miles under your belt and before you realise you will feel at home on the bike..

KATWYN
10th November 2007, 14:03
Good thread Number One

Currently i'm at where you have been...(i.e., i'm 6 months pregnant with my first baby) and have given up riding for the pregnancy, for reasons like the bike falling on me or summit like that or if I need to get an xray cos of a slight off or whatever...I mean lets face it ya balance is completely outa wack when preg - I'm reluctantly at that stage of having to get out of my healed boots and into flat shoes cos of my balance :eek:.

I'm envious as anything when its a nice day and I see all the bikers out there!

So I to to am wondering what it will be like once we have our baby, how will it feel getting back in the saddle. Will I be a big pussy and wrap myself up in cotton wool etc?

Its certainly of interest how you get on with your confidence returning compared to before you had a baby number one!

xgnr
10th November 2007, 14:09
... and then some more practice.

Oh BTW do a "ride right, ride safe" course http://rrrs.org.nz/index.html ( run by BRONZ) will give you lots of confidence and help you identify and then correct any bad habits (riding ones only TG).

Welcome back :niceone:

Stu

scootnz
10th November 2007, 14:39
I found that getting time to ride was the biggest problem. The first few months with a baby, any time that baby is asleep, you should really sleep too. I was exhausted, or had stuff to do that HAD to be done. Did start riding again within 3 months though.

Took me a long time to get my confidence back after baby number 2, mainly because with two to look after, and the youngest lactose intolerant, I didn't ride for a whole year. When I did ride again, it was only short distance commuting in town. So I asked my mum to have both kids for a weekend, and planned a longish trip via the Cold Kiwi this year, invited several others to come along, and had a great time rediscovering the joy of travelling.

YMMV

MotoGirl
10th November 2007, 14:49
Good thread Number One

Currently i'm at where you have been...(i.e., i'm 6 months pregnant with my first baby) and have given up riding for the pregnancy

Did start riding again within 3 months though.

*does the maths*
I'm now starting to understand how it'd be so easy to lose your confidence after having a baby. I don't know at what point it becomes physically impossible to ride a bike but most women would probably miss riding for at least six months (stop at six months and return when baby is three months).

If you stop riding immediately and don't get back on until the baby is three months, that's a whole year without riding :gob:

klingon
10th November 2007, 15:42
I have a friend who rides a scooter and is about 4 months pregnant. She's finding that the most challenging thing is all her muscles and ligaments and connective tissue are loosening up and it's physically very uncomfortable to ride.

She stopped riding shortly after she found out she was pregnant and will probably not ride again until she's cut down on breast feeding (that's another discomfort she's having trouble with - and none of her jackets fit comfortably across her chest any more!) So she's likely to be off the scoot for quite a long time.

I will be interested to see if she even gets back into riding or if she will eventually sell the scoot. Time will tell.

Number One
10th November 2007, 15:49
*does the maths*
I'm now starting to understand how it'd be so easy to lose your confidence after having a baby. I don't know at what point it becomes physically impossible to ride a bike but most women would probably miss riding for at least six months (stop at six months and return when baby is three months).

If you stop riding immediately and don't get back on until the baby is three months, that's a whole year without riding :gob:

I should probably reiterate the ISH part of new mum. My boy is almost 4!!! so it was about 3 years between rides and the two I did do were just wee scoots into town...hardly what I used to consider a ride. I also have a bit of a handbreak on the practise, practise thing...don't have a legal small bike to do said practise on! Not sure I'd feel cheeky enough to test ride bike shop bikes for months to build up the confidence...not sure they'd be too happy either :buggerd:

Trudes
10th November 2007, 15:54
Give us a yell if you ever want to go for a quiet ride about on the hubby's bike to get your confidence back, there's a bunch of us ladies here in welly who like to go for a nice "cruise" every now and then (in fact, just got back from todays ride), you'd fit in great, we all look after each other and have fun, you're more than welcome to come along!

Number One
10th November 2007, 16:30
That's a mighty generous offer....not sure yer hubbie would be so keen though :lol: Back when I was riding fulltime I was just tagging along behind (far far behind) all the boys as I didn't know any ladies that rode. Actually preferred riding on my own in the end as no pressure to go fast all the time to try to keep up...sometimes important so as not get lost out in the boondoks! I seem to have a limited sense of direction...compass anyone? :Oops:

Riff Raff
10th November 2007, 16:55
Good thread Number One

Currently i'm at where you have been...(i.e., i'm 6 months pregnant with my first baby) and have given up riding for the pregnancy, for reasons like the bike falling on me or summit like that or if I need to get an xray cos of a slight off or whatever...
And then there's the problem of not being able to fit into your gear anymore (even in the first trimester *sigh) - somehow I don't think maternity jeans are going to cut it in the safety stakes.

KATWYN
10th November 2007, 17:43
I don't think maternity jeans are going to cut it in the safety stakes.

lol Yea elastic waisted nana jeans....the kind I never thought I would ever wear - now i'm wearing them regulary :laugh:

Oh and yea 5 years is a long time to be outa the saddle I reakon so it will be a bit like starting again.

But you know what they say about riding a bike....you never forget, it all comes back to you

White trash
10th November 2007, 17:57
And then there's the problem of not being able to fit into your gear anymore (even in the first trimester *sigh) - somehow I don't think maternity jeans are going to cut it in the safety stakes.
Ummmmmm, anything you wanna tell me?

Goblin
10th November 2007, 18:53
...I wonder if I'll ever feel quite as confident and free as I used to on a bike?

Got any advice?
Hey it's just like riding a bike!:eek:

Just do it and it'll all come back to ya. :yes:

Storm
10th November 2007, 19:59
Ummmmmm, anything you wanna tell me?

I've heard modern folks do things on the net, but thats a hell of a way to break the news :baby:

MVnut
10th November 2007, 22:23
Give us a yell if you ever want to go for a quiet ride about on the hubby's bike to get your confidence back, there's a bunch of us ladies here in welly who like to go for a nice "cruise" every now and then (in fact, just got back from todays ride), you'd fit in great, we all look after each other and have fun, you're more than welcome to come along!

What a great post Mrs K, no wonder though when you have Supernanny as your avatar .......lol and all the best with your riding new ish mum, just take things at your own pace:niceone:

howdamnhard
10th November 2007, 23:45
I sold my gorgeous, fantastic bike when I got pregnant, partly cost saving as the loan and rego were becoming a burden on top of the other two vehicles - especially staring down the barrel of a single income existence!
Partly also cos I didn't want to be struck by the temptation to ride pregnant. I'm sometimes ruled by the 'Murphy's law' thought pattern...you know, if someone is going to have a bad accident riding pregnant it'd be me.
Anyway - though I still feel like a biker and am jealous as all hell watching bikes pass me on the motorway between lanes and not being able to follow (as I would have so so long ago)...I wonder if I'll ever feel quite as confident and free as I used to on a bike?
I am definately more aware of my mortality and on my first two rides back (on hubbies lovely SV650) felt a little nervy, had some silly dropping experiences which knocked my confidence and worry now that my new found 'awareness' might interfere with my being able to do all the normal and 'right things' at the normal and right times. Anyone else experienced this? Got any advice?
I had a similair experience when I took my missus as pillion for the first time,was having fun until the thought occured,OMF what happens if we both get taken out ,our kids become instant orphans!:crybaby:I guess its a matter of balancing the risk with quality of life and responsibility.It's still possible to ride for enjoyment without taking the same risks as when you were without kids i.e go a bit slower,etc,etc.You'll be a better parent too(less stressed) if you can have a little "my time".Just don't rush it,take it easy and enjoy.
And by the way ,welcome to the world of parenting and sleepless nights.Follow your instincts.:niceone:

howdamnhard
10th November 2007, 23:48

Do have something to share?Are congratulations in order?:msn-wink:

Rashika
11th November 2007, 06:27
Good thread Number One

Currently i'm at where you have been...(i.e., i'm 6 months pregnant with my first baby) and have given up riding for the pregnancy, for reasons like the bike falling on me or summit like that or if I need to get an xray cos of a slight off or whatever...I mean lets face it ya balance is completely outa wack when preg - I'm reluctantly at that stage of having to get out of my healed boots and into flat shoes cos of my balance :eek:.

I'm curious.. at what stage (i.e. in the last 6 months) did you decide to give up riding? was it a physical thing or more a mental thing (i.e. worry about the babe). How long have you been riding beforehand... I know being nosey and all :msn-wink:
I guess it is something most of us women riders should potentially think about.

KATWYN
11th November 2007, 08:32
I'm curious.. at what stage (i.e. in the last 6 months) did you decide to give up riding? was it a physical thing or more a mental thing (i.e. worry about the babe). How long have you been riding beforehand... I know being nosey and all :msn-wink:

I stopped whe I found out I was preg at 5 weeks, for reasons mentioned -fears really, like if I drop the bike on myself I could lose baby etc (mental) then as the weeks went by it became physical - like fitting into my leathers! I couldn't if I tried :laugh:.

I have been riding on road and off road for nearly 10 years

But riding is in the blood and the bike WILL NOT be getting sold, now i'm just wondering (now that i'm going to be sharing my freedoms with a new person) how and when can I get out there and ride again!!

I think theres another thread in the biker angels area called 'riding when pregnant" or something like that. I was trying to find it the other day

Rashika
11th November 2007, 08:37
I stopped whe I found out I was preg at 5 weeks, for reasons mentioned -fears really, like if I drop the bike on myself I could lose baby etc (mental) then as the weeks went by it became physical - like fitting into my leathers! I couldn't if I tried :laugh:.

I have been riding on road and off road for nearly 10 years

But riding is in the blood and the bike WILL NOT be getting sold, now i'm just worried (now that i'm going to be "sharing" my freedom and spontaneaty with a new person) how and when can I get out there and ride again!!

ah well thats good to hear, about the not selling the bike, dont know if I could either ;)
I wonder if those who have only been riding a short time are less inclined to get back on afterwards than those of us who who been riding forever...

KATWYN
11th November 2007, 08:40
ah well thats good to hear, about the not selling the bike, dont know if I could either ;)
I wonder if those who have only been riding a short time are less inclined to get back on afterwards than those of us who who been riding forever...

I just edited my thread to mention that there is a "riding while pregnant" thread somewhere in the biker angels area....

Number One
11th November 2007, 11:54

I'd be inclined to agree with this comment. I'd been riding for about 5 years and though pretty solidly (every day and long 2 day weekend rides) I think if I'd been doing it even longer (especially if I'd grown up doing it) I might not be quite so doubtful/nervy about getting back on....Plus it's hard to push past that nerve and just get on when you don't have anything to get on...if I hadn't been still paying mine off, there's no way I would've sold it - then I wouldn't be stuck just 'thinking about' and overanalysing whether I would be capable - I'd just get on the thing and ride....:doh:

Silverfern
12th November 2007, 21:13
I rode (like a lunatic) for 5 years before I became pregnant, in fact I found out about the happy event after riding from Brisbane to Melbourne and had to ride back again. I rode till I was 6 months, (no car and needed mobility for my job) and only stopped when I sold the bike to pay for baby gear. Didn't get back on a bike for 24 years, the opportunities weren't there and I did feel the little sprogs that came along needed me. I am aware I am still the only parent for my final child, a 14 yr old and I want to see her grow up, so I ride far more carefully than I used to, simply because life's good and I want to carry on living it. I don't need to prove anything anymore and you will just know when its right to get that fun feeling on a bike back again. Just consider every car, truck and van can't see you and you'll be a great defensive rider. Go girl!

Keystone19
13th November 2007, 08:12
Perhaps a slightly different perspective...I didn't start riding at all until my youngest was 4, she's now 6. For some reason, being a mum doesn't seem to temper my urge to ride the tits off a bike (figuratively speaking of course). I did briefly give up mountainbiking and rockclimbing while pregnant.

I think it depends a lot on you as an individual and what you feel comfortable with. Perhaps if I didn't have a husbnd who makes a better mum than me I might be a little more restrained on the bike.

I think you will eventually find the balance between what you feel is safe and what is fun for you.

MotoGirl
13th November 2007, 11:32
I just edited my thread to mention that there is a "riding while pregnant" thread somewhere in the biker angels area....

I believe this is the one you're looking for:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32450

Rep does come in useful sometimes!

KATWYN
13th November 2007, 11:46
I believe this is the one you're looking for:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32450

Rep does come in useful sometimes!

Cheers thanks!

SDU
14th November 2007, 10:49
I remember 6/8yrs ago sitting next to a mate of mine at the Magpie Rally in front of the stage when some idiots decided it wouild be fun to hoon through the crowd on his trike. Asshole!#*#* it was a real scramble for her to get up & move as she was 8months preggie. That incident & finding big enough elastic to hold her leathers on were her biggest hurdles about riding she has only just sold her bike this year but she plans to be back, probably with the kids in tow.

Oh & hello & welcome to KB numberone & congrats Katwyn!

Riff Raff
14th November 2007, 17:39
I stopped as soon as I found out (fortunately before I had x-rays) mostly because my arm was being put in a cast. And then it's been because of fear that I might crash and harm/lose the baby, having lots of complications (been in hospital twice now), and because I've already got a tummy and I can't fit into my gear.

PS Can someone please buy my R6 - I need the money to pay off the family wagon. Gonna keep the RGV250 which we're doing up so that at least I will have something to ride once bub is here.

KATWYN
14th November 2007, 18:13
PS Can someone please buy my R6 - I need the money to pay off the family wagon. Gonna keep the RGV250 which we're doing up so that at least I will have something to ride once bub is here.

Congradulations! how far down the track are you?? so that makes two of us R6 biker angels then??

Riff Raff
14th November 2007, 18:46
12 weeks. When does pregnancy start being a wonderful experience?

Trudes
14th November 2007, 18:57
Congratulations ladies!!! You're all braver than me!

Number One
14th November 2007, 19:51
Crikey! Congrats :-)

If the pregnancy is anything like mine was it'll be false advertising!!!

I hoped I'd be one of the lucky (and smug) ones...you know - The ole "I didn't even know I was pregnant the whole time, it was soooo easy!" SHutup already!

....I believed the hype, and as is (I believe) my right had expected to possess the glowing locks, smooth dewey complexion, heightened sense of my sensuality and pheromones that could intoxicate any young single man and drop him on his ass from a mile away!
:2thumbsup:drool::woohoo:

In reality I had full term nausea and vomitting, slimy skin, fat(ter) arse, pimply face, stretch marks, high blood pressure, water retention, swollen ankles and hands, leaky boobs, wrinkles, grey hair and a stretched tattoo....
:crybaby::angry::shit:

....just as well it gave me a fantastic little boy, with a loving and happy nature, who loves me back and makes me proud and who everyday makes me want to be a better person - yeah actually you know, it was definately all worth it! :cool::love::sunny::first: Kia kaha and good luck

Keystone19
14th November 2007, 19:54

In about 23 years I believe...

No, seriously, it varies for everyone. Hopefully you'll enjoy the second trimester - anything from about 18 weeks apparently - in my experience from about 21 weeks.

Congratulations Sue!

KATWYN
15th November 2007, 06:57

Don't ask me :laugh: The first 3 months were hell on earth. I was literally couch bound. Theres only so much daytime TV you can watch without going
completely insane!!

Cheers number one lol, but i'm beginning to believe you....re all the "ailments"

Your boy sounds lovely

KATWYN
15th November 2007, 06:58
Congratulations ladies!!! You're all braver than me!

I had to get brave lol. I thought just being short of 39 when our baby is born was better late than never!!

Number One
15th November 2007, 07:04
Don't ask me :laugh: Cheers number one lol, but i'm beginning to believe you....re all the "ailments"

Your boy sounds lovely

The ailments were real but everyone (doctors/nurses/midwifes) is very quick to point out that being so ill actually is a good sign you're brewing a good strong batch - oh yes indeedy they were right!

SDU
15th November 2007, 12:00

Congrats!!! home it all gets better & goes smooth for ya.

Rashika
18th November 2007, 18:23

congrats! 1/3 of the way there... ;)

Pancakes
18th November 2007, 22:33
I read it as "Riding a newish Mum"! :buggerd: Crikey! Thought someones a bit keen.

Number One
2nd December 2007, 12:56
I read it as "Riding a newish Mum"! :buggerd: Crikey! Thought someones a bit keen.

And good on you for coming on in to clarify things further ya big perve ;)

Lissa
3rd December 2007, 09:28
Not sure why being a mum would stop you from riding. I have three kids, but I didn't start riding until my youngest was two, but thats cause I never had the time to learn. Sometimes you get bogged down with the responsibilities of looking after everyone else, and stop looking after yourself. Thats the reason I started riding, anyone can do it, you just need a little self confidence to start it, I remember my first time on a bike was so nerve racking, but that soon goes as you build yourself up. Although I have been riding for over a year now, I am still go on relatively 'nanny rides' (rides for coffees, not too far, and not out of my comfort zone).

On the other hand if I was pregnant though I probably wouldn't ride, but thats just a personal thing.

Oh and Congrats Kathwyn and Riff Raff!!!

Number One
8th December 2007, 18:18
Not sure why being a mum would stop you from riding.

Stopped me cos I couldn't afford to keep the bike while on the single income (didn't yet own it outright)...that led to an extended period of not getting on one and then as I didn't have one in the garage that I KNEW I could ride that time went on and on and on...leading to much self doubt and consternation about whether I would even know what to do if I got back on.

THOUGH - with my newly strengthened self confidence (thanks OB) I have once again been feeling the fever and with that renewed enthusiasm bubbling over hubby has promised to sell our redundant van and buy me another two fiddy with the proceeds :niceone: Just need to encourage him to pull finger, fix the thing, reg/wof and then sell...then I can go shopping for something :cool:

Number One
1st June 2008, 21:52
Was funny to come back and read this after so long...it really does seem like an age ago!

SO why not let the thread die it's natural and somewhat gracious death?

...because I've been thinking and fark it! This forum and my posts to it are as much about preserving my memories as they are about maybe giving someone the chance to feel superior and have a laugh at my expense..go on get ya jollies :spanking:

SO - Why the step away from riding when I became a pregnant mum?

Financial reasons: Servicing the loan for a luxury item on a single wage wouldn't have been a smart move.

Emotional (and at times somewhat paranoid) reasons: - my baby relies on me, he needs me, I can't get hurt I have to take care of him, what if I am killed while riding?

Practical reasons: Are you kidding? Pregnant while riding...sorry I get that many chicks do it and don't have an issue with it but me...I'm from the school of Murphy...as in Murphys law. Felt too much like tempting fate to me.

SO - I felt good about this series of decisions and didn't even miss the riding, I really mean it...didn't even feel jealous of others out on nice days. Not sure about you or your men but some people I know :whistle: are blardy horrible to be around if they haven't had a two wheeled fix in a while....and that could be like one day and they have the shakes :lol:

So years went by, no bike for me and the only very occasional trip on the back too. Started to think that I wasn't a real biker as I wasn't missing it and due to all the original reasons I never really seriously entertained the notion that I would be back on two wheels before we sent the boy off to Uni!

I really believed that I wouldn't be able to do it again after the long break. Felt that the whole being a mummy thing would make me more tentative than is practical or safe on a bike. Had a sneaking suspicion that pregnancy had ruined my balance, co-ordination and everything else to go with the dropped boobline and stretch marks! :buggerd:

Anyway Hubby got into KB, then I decided I needed to compete for PC time so I joined up too, met some awesome people who further egged me on and THEN.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1403122&postcount=55

That's right homies! I got me a bike. Been on it most days have learnt some new lessons and re-learnt some old ones too.

ANYWAY - WHAT'S MY POINT AND WHY AM I DREDGING THIS THREAD UP FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE BOTTOMLESS PIT IT WERE IN?!

My aha is that the brain is really blardy powerful. I clearly weighed up a whole lot of data and flicked a switch in my head that I wasn't going to ride, and that was ok on all levels at the time.

What amazes me is how much I love being back on a bike when I was able to last so long without any regret. I get that itch you get when you just want to be on the bike all the time. You look at a nice day outside and wonder if it's been long enough since you pulled your last sickie to go for a ride and other irresponsible thoughts! I'm constantly concocting ideas for how I can convince daddy that the young man really wants and needs some dedicated father son time....:lol:

I love being back on a bike. Cheesey I know, but I do feel I have reconnected with the old me that one I used to feel like before I became all sensible and shit, credible in my career, a married woman and the biggie A MUM.

And FTR I am definitely a better mum because I do what I love to do and the wee boy loves seeing mum on a bike...the big boy loves it even more too :2thumbsup Bow chicka wow wow

So my advice is mums absolutely should ride if they want! Go MUMS!!!:hug:

Chickadee
2nd June 2008, 10:49
Congrats to the Mums to be Kathwyn & Riff Raff, may you have no morning sickness/stretchmarks and easy births.

I've only been riding since becoming a Mum, my youngest was probably not quite a year old. I did a RRRS course and really got the bug after that. I must say these days I don't ride very frequently but still have the bug and totally enjoy myself. I do feel my mortality a bit more these days, especially after a couple of minor incidents, you start to think about the what if's.

Currently my sprogs are 4yrs and 2+halfyrs, they're great wee guys, very demanding timewise etc. I think once you've been riding bikes it's hard to give up riding, I've thought about it - but still enjoy the snippets I get.

I'm sure you'll enjoy being back in the saddle, and I'm sure most of us Mums enjoy riding while being a bit more sensible with regards to judgements when riding and speed.

Go biker Angels!

Number One
2nd June 2008, 11:02
Riff Raff delivered at 5.36 yesterday. Boy Keiran Andrew Mair :love:

Rashika
2nd June 2008, 11:24
Riff Raff delivered at 5.36 yesterday. Boy Keiran Andrew Mair :love:

woohooooo! Glad to hear it... knew it was soonish, RR was due about 6 weeks after my sister, who had a boy as well.
Awesome news WT and RR!! :sunny:

flame
2nd June 2008, 11:47
...and WAHOOOoooooo that wee laddie is born blessed with V-Twin DNA running through his blood! eh Riffy ;):hug:

Number One
2nd June 2008, 11:51
...and WAHOOOoooooo that wee laddie is born blessed with V-Twin DNA running through his blood! eh Riffy ;):hug:
mmmmm growilllll