PDA

View Full Version : Road advice please

Ixion
11th November 2007, 22:37
I have to go to a werk conference in Rotovegas. So naturally I want to go an interesting route.

I'll take the well established southern route through Maramarua, Coalfields, Te Heo ,Tahuna, Morrinsville, Walton, Matai (Matamata if I need fuel), Taihoa, Te Poi, Selwyn, Waiomou, TePapa. All good.

But then I must make eastering. I don't like Sh5 . Last time I used that road there were other people using it, in cages. I prefer to have my roads to myself.

So i am thinking of an alternate via White's Rd,Leslie Road , Cecil Rd, through Mamaku, and Dansey Rd. I don't know those roads. Are they sealed ? Is there fuel available?

After the conference I had thought to pop down to Napier. Perhaps. I have not been to Napier in this age. Is the road from Rotorua to Wairoa via Murupra and Frasertown sealed yet? Is there fuel? And Wairoa to Napier? Sealed? Have they stopped eating missionaries ?

I have heard that fuel is a problem on the run into Napier? Does anyone know how far between fuel stops , on a Sunday. I can make 300km on a tank at a pinch

I remember that Napier was badly knocked around a few years back by an earthquake. I presume they have rebuilt it ? And that there are modern conveniences, hosteleries etc? And Speights? (That is important)

Any input will be appreciated.

Highlander
11th November 2007, 22:49
Is the road from Rotorua to Wairoa via Murupra and Frasertown sealed yet? Is there fuel? And Wairoa to Napier? Sealed? Have they stopped eating missionaries ?

When I lived at Tuai, there was 110Km of Highway 38 unsealed (between Frasertown and Murupara), I believe they have sealed a few Km's but that still leaves about 100 of gravel.
Wairoa to Napier is a really good piece of road (one of those made for motorcycle ones) - sealed all the way.
Definately fuel available at Murupara and Wairoa.

Ixion
13th November 2007, 17:38
Bump. Someone from Rotavegas must know Cecil/Dansey/Leslie ? According to the Alcoholics Anonymous it's sealed except for about 10km in the centre, which is fine. But I don't trust them , "go and ask the AA", yes all very well, but I had a hell of a time getting them to focus on road conditions, kept wanting to talk about booze. Someones got a serious problem there I reckon.

Might have to flag the interesting road to napier, 100km of gravel would be nice but take longer than I have available.

Taupo to napier road, is that sealed yet ? Fuel ?

riffer
13th November 2007, 18:23
I suggest you PM MSTRS Ixion. He knows a fair bit about these roads.

Swoop
13th November 2007, 18:56
Yes the road is sealed. A little excessively at times (mutters about trucks doing 120kmh through new seal...).
Fuel? Yes, you will require fuel to do this road as there is a lack of stations along the way. Perhaps Auckland would like to relocate a few of the extra gas stations that we currently have here.

crashe
13th November 2007, 19:13

Yep sealed all the way..... about 150clicks from Taupo to Napier.

Taupo end of that stretch of road, is longggggggg and straight...... as you get nearer to the Napier end of that stretch of road, it does gets more twisty.

So refuel up at Taupo.
On the main drag there is a Mobil garage right on the corner, just before you turn onto the Napier/Taupo Rd.

There is a BP garage on your right, after turning right at the intersection near the Napier end.

paturoa
13th November 2007, 19:20
Also suggest Old Te Aroha Road as well (south of Te Aroha)

What?
14th November 2007, 19:36
Bump. Someone from Rotavegas must know Cecil/Dansey/Leslie ?

To go this way you will need both permission and gate keys - Leslie road turns into private forestry road with locked gates.

clint640
15th November 2007, 10:14
An alternate interesting route to Rvegas might be to carry on down hwy 29 at Te Poi, over the Mamukus that way, then at when you hit Tauranga at Greerton turn right at the roundabout down the Pyes Pa / Tauranga Direct Rd which was sealed a couple of years ago & is a nice ride. That will take you to the back of Ngongotaha, & if you've got time you can then turn left & take a spin around the back of Lake Rotorua then take hwy 30 into town.

For a fairly civilised loop to Napier, how about heading to Opotiki (nice ride along the coast) then over the Waioeka to Gisborne, then Wairoa, Napier & come back over the Napier-Taupo?

The odd missionary does still go missing in that area but if you take plenty of gunpowder, whisky & tobacco to trade you should be sweet.

Cheers
Clint

MSTRS
15th November 2007, 10:23
I remember that Napier was badly knocked around a few years back by an earthquake. I presume they have rebuilt it ? And that there are modern conveniences....

I can't remember the last time the only choice was a bush or thunderbox...

For a fairly civilised loop to Napier, how about heading to Opotiki (nice ride along the coast) then over the Waioeka to Gisborne, then Wairoa, Napier & come back over the Napier-Taupo?

Beat me to it...a route developed in heaven

The odd missionary does still go missing in that area but if you take plenty of gunpowder, whisky & tobacco to trade you should be sweet.

Damn...they've moved on...what will I do with all these beads??

Pixie
16th November 2007, 09:41
After the conference I had thought to pop down to Napier. Perhaps. I have not been to Napier in this age. Is the road from Rotorua to Wairoa via Murupra and Frasertown sealed yet? Is there fuel? And Wairoa to Napier? Sealed? Have they stopped eating missionaries ?

If you are unsure about the cannibalism thing,argue the point with the prospective cannibal as they never eat anything that disagrees with them.

fergie
16th November 2007, 10:23
whatever way you go ixion, we look forward to your report on the unchartered territory you will pass thru, good luck

Krusti
16th November 2007, 10:37
Bump. Someone from Rotavegas must know Cecil/Dansey/Leslie ? According to the Alcoholics Anonymous it's sealed except for about 10km in the centre, which is fine. But I don't trust them , "go and ask the AA", yes all very well, but I had a hell of a time getting them to focus on road conditions, kept wanting to talk about booze. Someones got a serious problem there I reckon.

Might have to flag the interesting road to napier, 100km of gravel would be nice but take longer than I have available.

Have not been through Leslie road for years and years. If you are looking for different windy sealed roads, Head over SH5, left onto Oturoa, right onto Hamurana Road, right onto Delbeth Road, left back onto Sh5, right onto Paradise Valley Road follow all the way back into Rotorua.

If you fuel up at Matamata you should be fine. Don't forget, no fuel at Tepoi now.

Krusti
16th November 2007, 10:39
Taupo to Napier, 145km sealed.

Ixion
17th November 2007, 21:26
To go this way you will need both permission and gate keys - Leslie road turns into private forestry road with locked gates.

Aha. You don't need either. Though you certainly may be forgiven for thinking you do. The gates are unlocked, and must remain so. By law. And I have ridden over Leslie-Cecil Rd, from Putaruru to Mamaku today. Legally. And have the pictures to prove it.

The history of the matter is here (http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?p=27267&highlight=#27267). Another brazen faced property grab by an unconscionable corporation. Mr Orr deserves a knighthood, a proper one , not one of those stupid Order of the Kakapo things.

Picture no 1 : The once locked but now open gate at the Cecil Rd (Rotorua ) end. I actually went to the Cecil Rd end, confirmed that the gate was open, then rode round SH5 to the Putaruru end and entered from there. Didn't want to go all the way through and find the far gate locked!
Picture No 2 : Approaching the Leslie Rd (Putaruru end) gate, also unlocked. Until this point the road is sealed , a good road through some remarkably pretty forest
Picture 3: Leslie Rd, the recoved section. Most of the road from the Putaruru gate is like this, good simple gravel. The whole length is about 25km from the gate . About 18km is like this. About 5 km is quite rough gravel road, very large (5 - 15 cm )sharp rocks, and bad steep sided ruts both along and across the road. But not beyond the capability of a competant rider . 2km is very bad indeed impassable for sportsbikes.
Picture 4. von Klunken in full battle harness, approaching the far gate and the beginning of the very bad section
Picture 5. View up Galaxy Rd. This is a CHH owned (or, stolen, would be more truthful) road which is a decently maintained alternative to the neglected damaged and nearly impassable Cecil Rd section. But although the gate is open one cannot legally enter (and odds are the gate at the other end would be locked)
Picture 6. The start of the bad section. The photo does not show how bad it is. That hole is nearly a metre deep , and if you look you can see a wallow on the right, just by the gorse flowers. It is over 2 foot high. And another similar height ridge runs on the left hand side. This was not the worst bit, but the 2 km or so was all like this. It would be trivial on a dual purpose or trail bike, but I was quite apprehensive tackling it on a full rigged 500kg tourer. Especially as there is no cell coverage there, it might be days (weeks?) before another vehicle came along, and noone knew I was there! But, needs must and all went well, after a scouting expedition on foot to map out the best route.

So Leslie Rd is NOT sealed, the AA are wrong. But it does still exist, and we can legally ride it. It would be good for some local riders to go along it to maintain the right of way and stop the council claiming noone wants to use it. These bastard corporations must be stopped before they expropriate the whole of our birthright.

pritch
18th November 2007, 09:08
I was once fishing the Tongariro, the Fence pool from memory. It's a fair old hike from the car park so I had ridden up the track on my K100RS trail bike.
There was another bike there too, a retired accountant who used a small trail bike to access the pools.

While we were up there fishing some arseholes came along and put a gate up at the carpark to prevent vehicle access to the track. They either didn't look, or didn't give a shit, but they erected/repaired and locked the gate with the two bikes a k or so on the wrong side of it.

Getting out was a bit tricky, I don't think the spanners in the tool kit would have fitted the bolts on the gate but I had a German Army knife (complete with saw) with me and cut some manuka to clear a way around the end of the gate and squeezed the Beemer precariously between the end of the gate and the top of the river bank.

Twenty years have passed but I'd still like to thank those pricks...

What?
19th November 2007, 09:11
Well done, Mr Ixion Sir. Them thar gates was indeed closed and locked last time I ventured into the vicinity, but it is true that that was not especially recent. Methinks memust venture forth. Or fifth.

clint640
19th November 2007, 09:39
Top marks for that bit of intelligence gathering & exploration mate! As soon as the 640 is back on the road I'm going to shoot up there for a look.

Definitely not the first instance of forestry companies deciding that they own a public road. Gotta keep an eye on the buggers & remember that it is your legal right to remove any obstruction on a public road (yes I do own a 9" angle grinder & a generator, why do you ask? :devil2:)

Cheers
Clint

What?
19th November 2007, 09:46
Now I am starting to wonder whether the forestry people own Galaxy road...

2wheeldrifter
20th November 2007, 08:46
Galaxy road is owed by CHH.
- Good work, yes gates must by left unlocked. And yes no-one what's to claim the road for repairs.

Ixion - where are you from?

Krusti
20th November 2007, 10:57
Another couple of roads worth a bypass down, turn off Tauranga Direct Road (Pyes Pa rd) onto Mangatoi rd, veer left onto No2 Rd, left onto Mountain Rd, left onto Oropi rd, ending back at Pyes Pa Rd after riding through Oropi George. Almost all gravel. :niceone:

Or.........http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59754