PDA

View Full Version : Waving - the neverending saga (multiple threads merged into one)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Redstar
14th July 2003, 20:27
I wave to anyone Sportsbikes mopeds ladies on scooters (Ladies)
and even a solo Hog and some wave back. but would you wave to a gang of Hogs well maybe?

bikerboy
14th July 2003, 20:34
Why not I say.:D

I wave or give a quick nod to all.:o

Yamahamaman
14th July 2003, 20:37
All of the above excluding cars but including Police Bikers. Police Bikers tend to wave back!!!

Mitch
14th July 2003, 21:13
Only when you give them the one finger wave though aye Yamahaman  :D

Yamahamaman
14th July 2003, 21:20
I reserve the 'one finger waves' for the cage manipulators that want the share the same space and time that I already occupy. These wonderful citizens tend to own Bmr's (not bikes) or SUV's. Watch for said citizen with personal plate 'IPLAN'. Bad news.

Antallica
14th July 2003, 22:10
The Harley riders just don't even bother waving (maybe because their bars are so damn high up! ;) )

Moped riders... I kinda feel sad when I laugh at them driving past.

Sport bikes, now we're talkin, I can usually tell if they are going to wave back. It seems to be all about the way they are riding ,sometimes even their gears they have on tell me if they are a person who would wave.

But almost everyone I have come across has waved, even that phat Cop I passed not knowing it was a Cop Bike... he waved.

Urban Terrorist
14th July 2003, 23:02
I wave to anyone I see out there, scooters, sportbikes, cruisers etc. Just my way of saying "Hi, I'm having fun, how about you ?":)

Slim
15th July 2003, 08:36
I wave at everyone too, and you'd be surprised how many Harley riders wave back. :)

I wave at police too, whether in a car or on a bike. But then I've got my rabbit ears on my helmet to raise a smile. :)

Duke of Rogan
15th July 2003, 08:54
I wave at all bikes if I can, and if I can't then its a nod, except if they're on a Harley and have a rag across their face and wrap-around sunnies :cool:

I've given up on waving at someone on the opposite side of the motorway though, as this rarely gets a response.

Little kids usually are good to wave at too, espically if they're frantically trying to get your attention. You've got to encourage the future generation of bike owners :niceone:

Slim
15th July 2003, 09:29
Originally posted by Duke of Rogan
Little kids usually are good to wave at too, espically if they're frantically trying to get your attention. You've got to encourage the future generation of bike owners :niceone:
Yeah, I forgot about them. :D I've been known to stay in a traffic jam on the motorway, just to amuse a few kids. :D

But I won't wave at the little blighters that bounce around the back seat unrestrained, and usually mouthing or gesturing obsecenities.

figjam
15th July 2003, 10:01
I'm with the Duke and Slim, although I often wonder what the kid's parents think of some biker waving at their kids.

BigB
15th July 2003, 12:29
I always wave

As you never know when something may go wrong, and you know most people in a tin top aren't going to stop for that biker sitting on the side of the road, but a biker at least will slow down.
:niceone:

Motu
15th July 2003, 12:42
I hardly ever wave,there is so much inconsistancy I just can't be bothered - if we all waved,I would wave - not interested about ''is he one of ours?'' grow up,I'm not playing those games.

If you have ever lived in a small community you will know how important waving is,it's a complex social structure and woe betied you if you wave to the wrong person!

Kwaka-Kid
15th July 2003, 13:12
i wave @ all bikes pretty much, including police bikes and all the ones i know are nice blokes and have waved back.  and yeah even through those streets full of kids etc they always (no matter what bike, even the CB250) look/wave/yell out, so i always give them a wave and often drop a gear just to make some noise and make it sound fast - being so comparitivly young (oh, i didnt just sign my own death cert did i?:p) i remember being one of those kids that just loved to see a bike go by and would just about throw myself onto the road to get his attention - and loved it when the bike made more noise as it made me think the bike was a "fast one" even if it wasnt red! :done:

all good i say!

Coldkiwi
15th July 2003, 13:21
I make a point of waving to police bikers cause a)they're not normally so bad and b) he was probably thinking about pulling me over when he saw me so maybe a smile and a wav will get me out of it!!

yeah.. gotta wave to the kids (what better way to foster positive attitudes to bikes?)although I'm tempted to pull up next to the vans with unrestrained kids and give the parents a good serve sometimes.

wkid_one
15th July 2003, 14:35
I used to wave - but as I am apparently not a good enough rider, now i don't as it is too risky to take one hand off the bars and wave.  I now nod for this reason...

bikerboy
15th July 2003, 16:52
:niceone:

bluninja
15th July 2003, 17:30
I nod cos the roads are so bumpy and my suspenion is too stiff :D  I would wave but it's hard when SR#1 and SR#2 are at work.:Oops:

Redstar
17th July 2003, 19:59
If you cant take one hand off the bars how do you pick your nose in transit?

wkid_one
18th July 2003, 08:17
Fuck - apparently I have enough problems riding in general.....no shannigans for me - I have to start thinking about my process of stopping 10 mins before I have to let alone picking my nose.

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 09:51
The reason that Hog riders don't wave back is that they're too scared to let go!
Wing nuts don't wave back if they can't find the "Auto wave back" button.
:Punk:

BlueR1
6th January 2004, 17:01
I make a point of waving to police bikers cause a)they're not normally so bad and b) he was probably thinking about pulling me over when he saw me so maybe a smile and a wav will get me out of it!!

yeah.. gotta wave to the kids (what better way to foster positive attitudes to bikes?)although I'm tempted to pull up next to the vans with unrestrained kids and give the parents a good serve sometimes.

I have waved goodbye to them a few times usually they respond by activating their lights and turning around, not sure what the go is with that but I havnt hung around to find out!! :Police:

bluninja
6th January 2004, 17:13
Moped riders... I kinda feel sad when I laugh at them driving past.
I know you said your 150 was gutless....but getting passed by moped riders!!!:whistle:

I wave at anybody, it's up to them how they respond or don't.

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 17:30
I love the way children crack up when you are behind them and go :banana: :banana: :banana::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: when you pull out to pass one gear to low, rev limiter "barking"

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 17:33
And you never seen a four year old smile until you put your electric screen up while waiting at the lights or while passing the car their in. They smile so wide it looks like their trying out for a macleans add.

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 17:36
A couple of times I have done particularly dipshittish things while behind cars with kids in who have, on both occasions, made the shape of an L with their fingers and thumbs on their foreheads. What happened to respect, I want to know...
:buggerd:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 17:41
A couple of times I have done particularly dipshittish things while behind cars with kids in who have, on both occasions, made the shape of an L with their fingers and thumbs on their foreheads. What happened to respect, I want to know...
:buggerd:
pmproflmao. for the amusement of all please elaborate?

Ms Piggy
6th January 2004, 17:43
...I'm too busy thinking about all the little & BIG bits I have to remember to do to wave :mellow: although I'm sure I'll be giving the one finger salute a bit more regularly when I get a bit more sure of my riding! So many cars don't give way! :sneaky2:

Hitcher
6th January 2004, 17:45
pmproflmao. for the amusement of all please elaborate?
Modesty forbids... Buy me a beer sometime...
:stupid:

Big Dog
6th January 2004, 18:18
...I'm too busy thinking about all the little & BIG bits I have to remember to do to wave :mellow: although I'm sure I'll be giving the one finger salute a bit more regularly when I get a bit more sure of my riding! So many cars don't give way! :sneaky2:
Thats what nodding is for.... kind of like "hey I see you but kinda busy" :Punk:

georgedubyabush
6th January 2004, 18:38
Couple of days ago I was coming along the Okaihau Straights near home when I spotted a hidden spam copper behind a tree. Speedo showed about 130. Oh Feck I thought. I could hardly believe it when he waved out, and not the slow down wave, but a big wave hello. Maybe they arent all bad? Maybe it's because I was on the crusty ole z650?
Over a year now on bikes and no tickets. Havent even been pulled over yet.

spudchucka
27th March 2004, 21:02
I wave at gangs but only with one finger!

DEATH_INC.
27th March 2004, 22:04
I wave at most sportbikes,or at least nod.
Everyone should wave at hardleys,It's bloody funny watching them try to ride with one hand :lol:

Holy Roller
28th March 2004, 09:37
I wave at everyone bikes that is.
Everyone did it when I started riding and haven't stopped. Its a bit of a habit now, still to get a wave back from the Hog riders, but will keep trying. :soon:

Shade
28th March 2004, 12:55
I wave at every bike i see too - though I never get a wave back from HD riders.

Its always a good feeling passing tones of bikes and everyone waving at everyone.

I remember one day i was coming back from hamilton to auckland, and i went past a bike - i waved, he waved back, but it was a different sorta wave.... he had his index finger in the air waving it in circles....

OH CRAP, COPS! i thought, quickly slowed down as i clicked onto what he meant, sure enough, next corner was 3 cops waiting there. Thanks who ever you are! I make sure i give the same sorta warning to who ever i see now too.

Indiana_Jones
28th March 2004, 13:38
I'll give a nod or wave to most people.
lol why do we do that? guess there's so few of use :laugh:

-Indy

Jackrat
28th March 2004, 14:31
I wave to most other riders,but it does depend on what I'm doing at the time.
Some times I'm busy day dreaming and don't notice the other bike till it's gone passed,or If it's an HD rider,as much as I like the bikes myself I know I probably won't get a responce,The same goes for most BMW riders.
The two best responces Iv'e ever had were a young girl on a scooter,Her big smile lit up the whole day,And then just resently I had three big sports bikes go by and all ignore me, then a young guy on a GN250 going like hell trying to stay with them gave me a big wave mid corner.The way he had that GN cranked over I reckon he would of been better off hanging on with both hands but he was obviously having a real good day.This saturday I had heaps of Triumph riders waving to me but one of them only seemed to be able to use his middle finger,I don't think he liked being shown up by the grubby Japper. :whistle: Ain't life funny. :D

merv
28th March 2004, 16:37
I wave to all bikes and of late notice the Harley boys are waving back more often, but sadly still not the BMW riders - must be the torque reaction worry still. Don't they have counter rotating alternators or whatever Honda fitted to their shaft drive bikes to lessen the torque reaction? Or should I give them no credit and just take it as sheer arrogance towards all other forms of bikers?

I too waved at a chick on a scooter the other day that looked a bit surprised but very happy that I had done so.

merv
28th March 2004, 16:40
To add to the crack about BMW riders, while they don't wave back whether I am on my road or dirt bike, sure as hell the ones with the big traillies don't mind us stopping to help pick the muthas up when they deck them on adventure rides including lifting them off their sorry bodies half the time as they seem to get stuck under them when they crash in slippery going.

Skyryder
28th March 2004, 18:08
Couple of days ago I was coming along the Okaihau Straights near home when I spotted a hidden spam copper behind a tree. Speedo showed about 130. Oh Feck I thought. I could hardly believe it when he waved out, and not the slow down wave, but a big wave hello. Maybe they arent all bad? Maybe it's because I was on the crusty ole z650?
Over a year now on bikes and no tickets. Havent even been pulled over yet.

Let's see if you have a good word when the speeding ticket comes through the post. You think this dildo was being friendly. Why do you think he was hiding?? Ho hum there goes another sucker. :done:

Skyryder

Big Dog
28th March 2004, 18:41
To add to the crack about BMW riders, while they don't wave back whether I am on my road or dirt bike, sure as hell the ones with the big traillies don't mind us stopping to help pick the muthas up when they deck them on adventure rides including lifting them off their sorry bodies half the time as they seem to get stuck under them when they crash in slippery going.
Had to feel guilty a couple of years ago. A dude in overalls with a flipface helmet on a Harley was passing me when I nodded to him and absolutly ruined his day. He nodded back and his chin peice (which had been up) came down over his eyes as he was tipping in on a curve. He hit the brakes so violently that he came to a stop astride the tank in the middle of the road still with his vision blocked just as a passing train sounded its horn. :whistle:

Zed
28th March 2004, 19:32
I hardly ever wave,there is so much inconsistancy I just can't be bothered - if we all waved,I would wave
I tend to agree. I probably wave or nod more than "hardly ever" but I suppose it depends on the mood I am in. When I commute to work every day I'm usually in some deep thought about work and don't make the effort, but when I am joy-riding somewhere I am usually giving recognition to every single headlight that I pass with the exception on scooter riders (they are in their own dreamworld) :bleh:

If you have ever lived in a small community you will know how important waving is,it's a complex social structure and woe betied you if you wave to the wrong person!
I find I have to make a concerted effort not to get offended if someone doesn't wave or nod back to me, and for some reason I feel really stink if someone waves to me but I don't acknowledge them (usually because they leave it until the last second to wave)! :wavey: :sneaky2:

Zed

georgedubyabush
28th March 2004, 21:19
Let's see if you have a good word when the speeding ticket comes through the post. You think this dildo was being friendly. Why do you think he was hiding?? Ho hum there goes another sucker. :done:

Skyryder

Long time ago now and I'm still ticketless on a bike :Pokey: Got down to 5 points left from my cage a couple of years ago but now I'm totally clear. Want some of my points? :doctor:

pete376403
29th March 2004, 17:52
Long time ago now and I'm still ticketless on a bike :Pokey: Got down to 5 points left from my cage a couple of years ago but now I'm totally clear. Want some of my points? :doctor:
Not as silly as it sounds. I read that in the UK, where camera tickets include demerits, people are offering to take the rap in exchange for a suitable consideration.

Lou Girardin
30th March 2004, 07:14
Not as silly as it sounds. I read that in the UK, where camera tickets include demerits, people are offering to take the rap in exchange for a suitable consideration.

What a bloody great idea, but we need a secure method of contact. You just don't know who's lurking around here.
Lou

fzr400rr
30th March 2004, 11:38
On the topic of acknowledging bikers, What is the signal from bikers to other bikers & cagers to warn of a cop that you've just passed???
I've had to back off from 160 several times after cars have flashed their lights. It's pretty cool coming round a corner, lifting the left hand to wave at the cop, then grabbing some clutch to drop a few gears and proceed on as 'normal' :whistle:

riffer
30th March 2004, 12:07
On the topic of acknowledging bikers, What is the signal from bikers to other bikers & cagers to warn of a cop that you've just passed???
I've had to back off from 160 several times after cars have flashed their lights. It's pretty cool coming round a corner, lifting the left hand to wave at the cop, then grabbing some clutch to drop a few gears and proceed on as 'normal' :whistle:
Hold your left hand up in front of your shoulder, with index finger pointing up, and spin your finger round and round, simulating a siren...

Zed
30th March 2004, 12:10

Brake lights! :sweatdrop

fzr400rr
30th March 2004, 13:10
Not brakelight scoops, more like a wheel stand as YOU'VE just past him, as you're going from 100 back up to whatever.
The approriate thing would be a one handed wheel stand with your index finger doing the siren thing. :gob:

White trash
30th March 2004, 16:42
Not brakelight scoops, more like a wheel stand as YOU'VE just past him, as you're going from 100 back up to whatever.
The approriate thing would be a one handed wheel stand with your index finger doing the siren thing. :gob:

Standing up, one footer. Now that's what I'm talking about!

NZIrish
5th April 2004, 14:16
or nod, cant see the harm in it. If kids are waving out the back of a bus I'll activate the headlight up and down. My own kids think its funny to.

Posh Tourer :P
5th April 2004, 19:30
Damn you are right BMW riders are snobs..... the old beemer twin riders (two) I saw yesterday didnt even wave back to one of their own!!!!!

SPORK
8th September 2004, 21:01
Ok, is there any Ninja riders around Parkdale/Birchville? I wave to him/her but they never wave back...

badlieutenant
8th September 2004, 21:20
I wave at every bike i see too - though I never get a wave back from HD riders.

Its always a good feeling passing tones of bikes and everyone waving at everyone.

I remember one day i was coming back from hamilton to auckland, and i went past a bike - i waved, he waved back, but it was a different sorta wave.... he had his index finger in the air waving it in circles....

OH CRAP, COPS! i thought, quickly slowed down as i clicked onto what he meant, sure enough, next corner was 3 cops waiting there. Thanks who ever you are! I make sure i give the same sorta warning to who ever i see now too.
lol I wonder if that was me? I did do it once this year cause whoever it was (maybe you) looked to be fucked if he keeped riding the way he was :blah:

Kwaka-Kid
9th September 2004, 01:02
hahahaa Shade! Bad boyz.

Bob
9th September 2004, 02:19

The one I was taught is to bring your non-throttle hand to the top of your helmet and then open and close it repeatedly.

The idea is to simulate a flashing light.

If someone else knows the move, then it'll work fine. If they don't know it, they'll probably slow down anyway as they try to work out what the loon waving his hand over his head was on about :bye:

MOTOXXX
9th September 2004, 13:25
i wave at all bikes. but the harley guys dont seem to wave back.
maybe because im on a japa bike.
cant we all just get along :bye:

Ghost Lemur
9th September 2004, 13:46
I waved at all bikes, including scoots, hogs, etc. And even went so far as to wave at a guy in a car towing a dirt bike. :D

Just part of the joy of being on two wheels.

*Looks outside at the sunshine* :crybaby:

NC
19th September 2004, 22:00
I just do the 'nod' thing...

But this one time....there was like ....oh um...uh... :innocent:

I flashed a 'group' of Harley riders :whistle:...I just about caused them a accident :eek5:

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:01
I flashed a 'group' of Harley riders :whistle:...I just about caused them a accident :eek5:

What, while you were riding?

How'd you manage that?

NC
19th September 2004, 22:05
What, while you were riding?

How'd you manage that?

2 piece leathers
unziped jacket
Baby-T
no bra
Good balance

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:08
2 piece leathers
unziped jacket
Baby-T
no bra
Good balance

Uhhh.

Huh.

(nips off for a cold shower and a quiet lie down)

NC
19th September 2004, 22:11
Uhhh.

Huh.

(nips off for a cold shower and a quiet lie down)

:Pokey: :mellow:

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:17
:Pokey: :mellow:

i am confused. does that mean you are angry and wish to poke me in the eye with a stick while watching expressionlessly?

< / GoatFood mode >

NC
19th September 2004, 22:26
i am confused. does that mean you are angry and wish to poke me in the eye with a stick while watching expressionlessly?

< / GoatFood mode >

No no!

It means, that I was so disturbed by your comment that not even a poke in the eye with a stick would have brung me out of the hypnotic truma that I was experiancing at that point in time. ;)

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:31
not even a poke in the eye with a stick would have brung me out of the hypnotic truma that I was experiancing at that point in time.

Glad to see I can still induce the occasional hypnotic trauma.

scumdog
19th September 2004, 22:32
2 piece leathers
unziped jacket
Baby-T
no bra
Good balance

Arrrgghh (Homer Simpson drool noises), Noo braaa, unzipped jaaackettt!! :love2:

scumdog
19th September 2004, 22:34

'Seasy, I just point at myself :killingme :killingme :killingme :wacko:

'Course in a 'work' car I don't really have to do that!!!!!! :buggerd:

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:34
Arrrgghh (Homer Simpson drool noises), Noo braaa, unzipped jaaackettt!! :love2:

Cold shower's over there -->

jrandom
19th September 2004, 22:36
The rest of us, of course, make the 'twirly finger beside helmet' sign.

As opposed to the 'tapping side of helmet, shaking head' sign, which is what I get from motorcycle couriers after I race them through stopped traffic.

[Edit: I think I just edited half my post out and quoted it, there. Or something. Spooky.

(eyes empty bottle on desk with suspicion)]

NC
19th September 2004, 22:40
I think I need to call it a night, eh?

NC
19th September 2004, 22:42
Cold shower's over there -->
Grab a flannel and some shampoo, too....:lol:

scumdog
19th September 2004, 23:05
Grab a flannel and some shampoo, too....:lol:

Will you be there? in you unzipped jacket? and without you bra? :spudwhat:

scumdog
19th September 2004, 23:07
As opposed to the 'tapping side of helmet, shaking head' sign, which is what I get from motorcycle couriers after I race them through stopped traffic.

[Edit: I think I just edited half my post out and quoted it, there. Or something. Spooky.

(eyes empty bottle on desk with suspicion)]

Those pesky empty bottles! it took away you comment about my humour! oh well I saw it any way - I think ;)

TonyB
28th September 2004, 15:28

Just remember- cops often travel in groups spaced a minute or two apart. One marked patrol car to make you think 'Cool, I've seen the cop- now I can wind her out" followed by another patrol car or a mufti, to nab you when you do.

scumdog
28th September 2004, 19:09
Just remember- cops often travel in groups spaced a minute or two apart. One marked patrol car to make you think 'Cool, I've seen the cop- now I can wind her out" followed by another patrol car or a mufti, to nab you when you do.

Yeah, some are plain NASTY, like disguising the rader antenae as a rev-counter in a plain Mitsi VRX, fools the boy racers enough that they "drag" you off, poor sorry arsed buggers then get clocked at 124kph etc, SO diabolical but like shooting fish in a barrel they are SO dumb!! :thud:

'Course a KBer would NEVER be caught out by such a simple ruse, would they?? :shit:

Bonez
28th September 2004, 19:54
Sportsbikes-yip
ladies on scooters-for sure
Hogs and gangs-yeah but only if the gang is on two wheels.
cars-quite often on back country roads.
kids love it when I toot too.

Rick
28th September 2004, 20:14
I wave at anyone on two wheels, though I've found mainly only sportbike riders wave back.

Hog riders never wave back.

Ghost Lemur
28th September 2004, 20:27
Yeah, some are plain NASTY, like disguising the rader antenae as a rev-counter in a plain Mitsi VRX, fools the boy racers enough that they "drag" you off, poor sorry arsed buggers then get clocked at 124kph etc, SO diabolical but like shooting fish in a barrel they are SO dumb!! :thud:

'Course a KBer would NEVER be caught out by such a simple ruse, would they?? :shit:

Bahahahahaha :killingme

T.I.E
24th October 2004, 14:22
been riding for ages, i wave to all bikes, but i don't get many back from the harley boys, what's with that? :Oi:

but it's all good getting a wave back. :2thumbsup

and the kids are great what a smile you putt on their faces. espically when ya give them a cool wave. ( cool wave?) :o

groovey. :ride:

we need to sought out some specific signs though like cop ahead or shite conditions would be better. we need a language. ;)

Jackrat
24th October 2004, 14:42

LOL,went down to Raglan yesterday,on a mission with a mate.
Just before we got to WhatWhata, I says, there's often a cop here.
Sure nuff' there he was.Then I get round the next corner an there's another one waving a finger at us.Wheeeew that was close,so on we go, an around the next corner there's a bloody red van parked up.
Ya' reckon they's reading Kiwi biker?? :o

bear
16th November 2004, 10:46
Waved at a couple of cops on bikes last weekend, and got no response both times. Maybe they were just having a bad day.

scumdog
17th November 2004, 14:50
Waved at a couple of cops on bikes last weekend, and got no response both times. Maybe they were just having a bad day.

Speaking of which, does anybody know why it is that kids wave to cops friendly like until a certain age then it's the sullen looks and often the one finger wave???? :disapint: :confused2

duckman
17th November 2004, 15:35
Um 'cause when the kids grow up they find out what wankers they are ??? :Oi: :Playnice:

**TROLL**

NC
17th November 2004, 15:39
Um 'cause when the kids grow up they find out what wankers they are ??? :Oi: :Playnice:

**TROLL**

Bad Duckie!!!!!

** Rolls bread up into balls and hiffs it at you**

:bleh:

Ramius
17th November 2004, 22:58
I was thinking the other day.

You can always tell teh difference between the real bikers, and the ones that are doing it, not because they want to, but because it is cheaper. They have no real interest in biking or the comardarie. I enjoy it, and wave or nod to everyone because I knew how I felt when I went for my first ride and all these people were waving and nodding, even had a guy on a harley nod.

:shifty:

avgas
17th November 2004, 23:52
even kids in the backseat of cars - they get really excited when you do shit like that.
people who dont acknoledge you either wannbe biker-types or wannabe racebike-types. Most gang members give ya a nod or a smile, its mainly the arrogant young gang type fellas that act like pricks.

DebK
18th November 2004, 11:39
I wave & nod at all bikes/scoots quite simply because I'm having so much fun being on 2 wheels. Can't wait to move up to a bike though (anyone want to buy an Lancer Evo 6??).

I would say the split between those who do acknowledge/don't is 70/30, with mostly fellow scoots not waving or nodding. Go figure.

scumdog
18th November 2004, 13:52
I wave & nod at all bikes/scoots quite simply because I'm having so much fun being on 2 wheels. Can't wait to move up to a bike though (anyone want to buy an Lancer Evo 6??).

I would say the split between those who do acknowledge/don't is 70/30, with mostly fellow scoots not waving or nodding. Go figure.

Maybe they see scoots as just a form of transport, like a bus, maybe they don't have any emotions about riding?

Sniper
18th November 2004, 14:16
Bad Duckie!!!!!

** Rolls bread up into balls and hiffs it at you**

:bleh:

Ouch, you missed and got me in the eye :Playnice:

Hehe, I quite enjoy it when you see kids in the back seat turn around and wave and stuff, I always give them a friendly wave back. You never know, they might remind Daddy or mummy that there is a bike behind them and not to drive funny. :)

Sniper
18th November 2004, 14:20
LOL,went down to Raglan yesterday,on a mission with a mate.
Just before we got to WhatWhata, I says, there's often a cop here.
Sure nuff' there he was.Then I get round the next corner an there's another one waving a finger at us.Wheeeew that was close,so on we go, an around the next corner there's a bloody red van parked up.
Ya' reckon they's reading Kiwi biker?? :o

I hope not, but then again, cops do weird things sometimes, almost like they are being brainwashed or something :blink: :eek5:

DebK
18th November 2004, 19:37
Maybe they see scoots as just a form of transport, like a bus, maybe they don't have any emotions about riding?Never thought of it that way. Explains their glum demeanor then. Cheers scumdog.

Holy Roller
20th November 2004, 10:30
I got a wave yesterday in Whakatane from a hog rider not just a lift of the hand like usual but a cherry side to side wave and lift of the head and a bit grin. He must have been really enjoying his ride what a fantastic day to be on the bike. Or may be it was my open face and dark shades and my Yam mistaken for something bigger. Anyway it made my day to get a response like that is a real buzz from anyone. :Punk: :D :banana:

Yamahamaman
20th November 2004, 23:41
I waved to lot's of Harley/Harley-look-a-like/Cruiser/Feet-out-in-front-of-arse riders while I was in the EBOP. Zilch responce. Oh well, I did not expect any, anyway.

And to the Gent on the Green Kawasaki, thanks for the royal :not: at Bethlehem yesterday morning. Good skills man :first:

inlinefour
15th December 2004, 01:16
Did not take part in the poll as it is poorly put toghter without an option that I could agree with. :gob:

crazylittleshit
14th April 2005, 13:53
All of the above excluding cars but including Police Bikers. Police Bikers tend to wave back!!!

there's something just a little wrong with that

pyrocam
14th April 2005, 14:49
nice post revival.
its from 2003 :lol:

I avoid waving to scooters if I can, never wave to hogs or cruisers . But I try to wave at every sport bike I see.

If I wave at a couple people and get nothing back I dont have as much fun on my ride ive found. but when everyone is waving back its really great.

there's something just a little wrong with that

nah its cool. I wave at coppers. more of a nod really. they have always waved/nodded back.

Actually Im really into the saluting thing at the moment. nice and obvious and its the new black. not a army salute just hand up to visor and a little laxed out salute. hand and fingers mostly vertical

Waylander
14th April 2005, 16:12
Have to remember NOT to wave to you then as I ride a CRUISER!! Haha Just kidding mate. But if I wave at ya you'de better wave back else I'll do one of these.:finger:

Ixion
14th April 2005, 17:20
I wave to everybody on two wheels. Sports bikes, scooters, harleys, trailys , BMWs. They're all good. Don't diss another biker's ride.

I'll wave to cagers too if they look like they're enjoying themselves/ Vinatge and "classic" sports car types usually wave back.

Some wave back or nod, some don't . That's cool, it's all good. :ride: :2thumbsup

Ixion
14th April 2005, 17:24
Darn. Sorry about the double post folks. Dangerous things back buttons. And it appears only senior memebrs can delet tehir own posts [sniff. Snobs. sniff PT]

I wave to everybody on two wheels. Sports bikes, scooters, harleys, trailys , BMWs. They're all good. Don't diss another biker's ride.

I'll wave to cagers too if they look like they're enjoying themselves/ Vintage and "classic" sports car types usually wave back.

Some wave back or nod, some don't . That's cool, it's all good. :ride: :2thumbsup

Legolas
14th April 2005, 17:24
Originally posted by Honda.
Did not take part in the poll as it is poorly put toghter without an option that I could agree with.

Ditto.

I nod/wave to everyone on two wheels. Tend not to get a responce from scooter riders much though. I love waving to youngsters on their 125's. I can remember how good it felt to get the nod from the rider of a big bike when was on L plates. :ride:

HDTboy
14th April 2005, 20:36
I'll wave to anyone on two wheels as well, unless they look busy or are on the other side of the motorway. Kids are the best, I love seeing their faces light up when you give them a wave and blip the throttle behind them at the lights

Waylander
14th April 2005, 20:40
I'll wave to anyone on two wheels as well, unless they look busy or are on the other side of the motorway. Kids are the best, I love seeing their faces light up when you give them a wave and blip the throttle behind them at the lights
That's one of the few things I miss from the states, school busses. Have them here but they are just charterd busses from the transit station and I never notice when they have kids in them. But in dallas you could roll up next to a big yellow bus and get all the kids waving to ya and cheerin you on. Loved it when you throttled it up. Even did a peel out and got the bike somewhat sideways next to one. Damn did those kids get loud.:Punk: :2thumbsup
(edit) ofcourse you would also get those procks that would throw shit at ya...

Oakie
14th April 2005, 21:09
I'll give a wave to all on the open road (except yer gang member types) and a nod to road bikes in the city. It's nice to get a wave back and know that there are guys around who'll stop and give you a hand if necessary.

woody68
14th April 2005, 21:17
I'll wave to every one even cages if they let me go by safely. :2thumbsup
I'm with Holly Roller it used to be the done thing when I started riding.
If you didn't wave you were tracked down and beaten with a big stick. :msn-wink:

N4CR
14th April 2005, 21:50
I wave to all the sports bikes as i get the most response, cruisers i nod at or wave if they look like nice people, scooters i nod at as they usually dont do anything back :| and the ladies all get waves :ride: .
In my 1st week of riding my zxr i got waved at by a R1.. made me happy :msn-wink: and its nice to see other bikes out there waving.. keep it up people.

Zed
14th April 2005, 22:14
If I wave at a couple people and get nothing back I dont have as much fun on my ride ive found. but when everyone is waving back its really great.I think any biker who waves/nods/salutes? and doesn't get a reciprocal response feels let down to a point. It's quite stink really when you give out a hearty wave and the recipient ignores you, well you think they ignore you but in reality there are many reasons why they don't wave back, e.g they are staring intensely at your R6's headlight wondering why such an awesome bike has a blown RH headlight bulb?, or maybe their hands are sealed too tight around their trendy heated handlebar grips? :bleh:

nah its cool. I wave at coppers. more of a nod really. they have always waved/nodded back.Are you sure you're not confusing it with 'waving you down'? :msn-wink:

John
14th April 2005, 22:23
Wave to everyone, or nod - mainly nod to crusiers as that always gets a responce, as said before If a person doesnt respond it normally takes the fun out of the ride.

But you cant expect everyone to wave to you, you just have to remeber some people drive cars as well :lol:

Motu
14th April 2005, 22:32
I think any biker who waves/nods/salutes? and doesn't get a reciprocal response feels let down to a point. It's quite stink really when you give out a hearty wave and the recipient ignores you, well you think they ignore you but in reality there are many reasons why they don't wave back,?
Could just be because they are on a sports bike - in which case I don't wave....I only wave to dirt bikes,everyone else isn't a true biker,just posers....

Zed
14th April 2005, 22:45
I only wave to dirt bikes,everyone else isn't a true biker,just posers....Now that's really funny because tonight when I was getting a new tyre fitted at Cycletreads, Takapuna I noticed that their large showroom of gear was nearly half dedicated to a wide range of lovely colourful 'off-road lingerie' together with copious amounts of flourescent plastic body armour, and then there's those beautiful knee high boots! I must conclude that the dirt bike riders are the true biker posers! :bleh: jk.

Waylander
14th April 2005, 22:48
Could just be because they are on a sports bike - in which case I don't wave....I only wave to dirt bikes,everyone else isn't a true biker,just posers....
You're just jealouse that you don't get to wear kickarse leather jackets when you ride.:2thumbsup Also have to wear dorkie helmets and goggles.

PT

XP@
14th April 2005, 23:00
I wave to all bikes and of late notice the Harley boys are waving back more often, but sadly still not the BMW riders - must be the torque reaction worry still. Don't they have counter rotating alternators or whatever Honda fitted to their shaft drive bikes to lessen the torque reaction? Or should I give them no credit and just take it as sheer arrogance towards all other forms of bikers?

I too waved at a chick on a scooter the other day that looked a bit surprised but very happy that I had done so.
I wave to anything on 2 wheels! And I ride a BMW...
You probably don't get waves from other BMW's because they are enjoying the ride too much.
Harley Riders can't wave because they are too busy trying to keep their bike upright.

I would not suggest waving to a cop when scraping your pegs, have done it before (in the UK) and had to wait 10 mins whilst they gave me a stern talking to...

sels1
14th April 2005, 23:11
[QUOTE=merv]To add to the crack about BMW riders, while they don't wave back QUOTE]

:Oi: We do wave back! (if we're awake :msn-wink: )

Madguitarist!
15th April 2005, 08:12
Dunno if it's weather induced but some days I get heaps of response and other days I get nadda...???

It's kinda like lottery now...... I'll spot a bike and start wondering if there'll be a response and do a quick 'probability' calculation then check the weather.....then identify there make/style of bike....then......Ooops.....missed that one! :whistle:

But I do try and wave/nod at anything on 2 legs...Oops....WHEELS... :lol:

WAVE BACK YER HEAR!!!!! :cool:

Motu
15th April 2005, 08:26
You're just jealouse that you don't get to wear kickarse leather jackets when you ride.:2thumbsup Also have to wear dorkie helmets and goggles.

PT
I've got kickarse leather man - I'm looking after it for my kids.I went to put them on one day and found it had all shrunk,although the sleeves and legs seem to be the same length,I had them custom made by a Jew in Melbourne,I reckon the cheap bastard used faulty cows.

Anyway - when I used to wear black leather and had a full white beard and pony tail the chicks wouldn't leave me alone - a man gets tired of that stuff after awhile.....

Waylander
15th April 2005, 12:05
I've got kickarse leather man - I'm looking after it for my kids.I went to put them on one day and found it had all shrunk,although the sleeves and legs seem to be the same length,I had them custom made by a Jew in Melbourne,I reckon the cheap bastard used faulty cows.

Anyway - when I used to wear black leather and had a full white beard and pony tail the chicks wouldn't leave me alone - a man gets tired of that stuff after awhile.....
Maybe, but I'm still young and enjoy it very much.:Punk:

Motu
15th April 2005, 12:21
Maybe, but I'm still young and enjoy it very much.:Punk:
So am I....but my vital body fluids have been prematualy drained....

Waylander
15th April 2005, 12:25
So am I....but my vital body fluids have been prematualy drained....

Hehe I like you old man, you're funny in a cool way.:niceone:

kels
9th August 2005, 22:18
I wave or nod to all bikes...nope....gotta be honest. I don't wave or nod to scooters :Oops:

MiXeR
12th August 2005, 01:44
Do you know the French don't wave? It took me a while to figure it out the first time I went over, as they use the signal which we use to indicate dangerous/slippery road surface.

They simply take their foot closest to you off the peg as they come towards you, or while passing you.

Not such a bad idea after all, since you're keeping both hands on the grips.

But the first impression was that they were giving the cold shoulder...

P.S. You left out cruisers, bicycle riders, and children running up to meet you from the side of the road, from your poll.

SARGE
12th August 2005, 08:09
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back
They're afraid it will invalidate their factory warranty.
Leather and studs make it too hard to raise their arm.
They refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
They won't let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
The rushing wind could blow the scabs off their new tattoos.
They're angry over the second mortgage needed to pay for the new Harley.
They just discovered the fine print in their owner's manual revealing that The Motor Company is partially owned by rice-burner manufacturers.
They can't tell if other riders are actually waving or just reaching up to cover their ears, like everyone else.
If they wave back, they risk being impaled on their spiked helmet.
They're upset that after spending $30,000, they still don't own a bike that's as comfortable as a Goldwing.
To be totally fair, let it be noted that sometimes Goldwing riders don't wave back, either. Again, to facilitate a better understanding....

Top Ten Reasons Why Goldwing Riders Don't Wave Back
They aren't sure whether the other rider is waving or making an obscene gesture.
They risk getting frostbite if they take their hand off the heated grip.
They have arthritis and it is difficult to raise their arm.
The reflection from the etched windshield was momentarily blinding.
The on-board espresso machine had just finished.
They were asleep when other rider waved.
They were involved in a three-way conference call with their stock broker and accessories dealer.
They were distracted by an oddly shaped blip on their radar screen.
They were simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
They couldn't find the "auto wave-back" button on their

Bonez
12th August 2005, 17:53
but would you wave to a gang of Hogs well maybe?
A group of hogs together is correctly referred to as a herd of hogs. [Banjos playing in the background............]

Hitcher
12th August 2005, 21:33
Heard of chickens?

SARGE
12th August 2005, 21:51
Heard of chickens?

sure ive heard of Chickens.. ***rimshot***

someone hadda say it.. :rofl:

Kickaha
13th August 2005, 18:03
knocked off from http://teammaddogracing.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=828

The bikes passenger seat swept up just enough that I could see over
my father's shoulders. That seat was my throne. My dad and I travelled many
backroads, searching for the ones we had never found before. Travelling
these roads just to see where they went. Never in a rush. Just be home for
supper. I remember wandering down a backroad with my father, sitting on my
throne watching the trees whiz by, feeling the rumble of our bike beneath
us like a contented giant cat. A motorcycle came over a hill toward us and
as it went by, my father threw up his gloved clutch hand and gave a little
wave. The other biker waved back with the same friendly swing of his left
wrist.

I tapped my father on his shoulder, which was our signal that I
wanted to say something. He cocked his helmeted ear back slightly while
keeping his eyes ahead.
I yelled, "Do we know him?"
What?" he shouted.
"You waved to him. Who was it?"
"I don't know. Just another guy on a bike. So I waved."
"How come?"
"You just do. It's important."

Later, when we had stopped for chocolate ice cream, I asked why it
was important to wave to other bikers. My father tried to explain how the
wave demonstrated comradeship and a mutual understanding of what it was to
enjoy riding a motorcycle. He looked for the words to describe how almost
all bikers struggled with the same things like cold, rain, heat, car
drivers who did not see them, but how riding remained an almost pure
pleasure. I was young then and I am not sure that I really understood what
he was trying to get across. But, It was a beginning.

Afterward, I always waved along with my father when we passed other
bikers. I remember one cold October morning when the clouds were heavy and
dark, giving us another clue that winter was knifing in from just over the
horizon. My father and I were warm inside our car as we headed to a
friend's home. Rounding a comer, we saw a motorcycle parked on the
shoulder of the road. Past the bike, we saw the rider walking through the
ditch, scouring the long grasses crowned with a touch of frost. We pulled
over and backed up to where the bike stood.
I asked Dad, "Who's that?"
"Don't know," he replied. "But he see to have lost something. Maybe
we can give him a hand."

We left the car and wandered through the tall grass of the ditch to
the biker. He said that he had been pulling on his gloves as he rode and he
had lost one. The three of us spent some time combing the ditch, but all we
found were two empty cans and a plastic water bottle. My father turned and
headed back to our car and I followed him. He opened the trunk and threw
the cans and the water bottle into a small cardboard box that we kept for
garbage. He rummaged through various tools, oil containers and windshield
washer fluid until he found an old crumpled pair of brown leather gloves.
Dad straightened them out and handed them to me to hold. He continued
looking until he located an old catalogue. I understood why my dad had
grabbed the gloves. I had no idea what he was going to do with the
catalogue. We headed back to the biker who was still walking the ditch.

My dad said, "Here's some gloves for you. And I brought you a catalogue as
well."
"Thanks," he replied. "I really appreciate it." He reached into his hip
pocket and withdrew a worn black wallet.
"Let me give you some money for the gloves," he said as he slid some bills
out.
"No thanks," my dad replied as I handed the rider the gloves. "They're old
and not worth anything anyway."
The biker smiled. "Thanks a lot."

He pulled on the old gloves and then he unzipped his jacket. I
watched as my father handed him the catalogue and the biker slipped it
inside his coat. He jostled his jacket around to get the catalogue sitting
high and centered under his coat and zipped it up. I remember nodding my
head at the time, finally making sense of why my dad had given him the
catalogue. It would keep him bit warmer. After wishing the biker well, my
father and I left him warming up his bike.

Two weeks later, the biker came to our home and returned my father's
gloves. He had found our address on the catalogue. Neither my father nor
the biker seemed to think that my father stopping at the side of the road
for a stranger and giving him a pair of gloves, and that stranger making
sure that the gloves were returned, were events at all out of the ordinary
for people who rode motorcycles. For me, it was another subtle lesson.

It was spring the next year when I was sitting high on my throne,
watching the farm fields slip by when I saw two bikes coming towards us. As
they rumbled past, both my father and I waved, but the other bikers kept
their sunglasses locked straight ahead and did not acknowledge us. I
remember thinking that they must have seen us because our waves were too
obvious to miss. Why hadn't they waved back? I thought all bikers waved to
one another.

I patted my father on his shoulder and yelled, "How come they didn't wave
to us?"
"Don't know. Sometimes they don't."

I remember feeling very puzzled. Why wouldn't someone wave back?
Later that summer, I turned 12 and learned how to ride a bike with a
clutch. I spent many afternoons on a country laneway beside our home,
kicking and kicking to start my father's T55 BSA. When it would finally
sputter to a start, my concentration would grow to a sharp focus as I tried
to let out the clutch slowly while marrying it with just enough throttle to
bring me to a smooth takeoff. More often, I lurched and stumbled forward
while trying to keep the front wheel straight and
remember to pick my feet up. A few feet farther down the lane, I would sigh
and begin kicking again.

A couple of years later, my older brother began road racing, and I
became a racetrack rat. We spent many weekends wandering to several tracks
in Ontario-Harewood, Mosport and eventually Shannonville. These were the
early years of two-stroke domination, of Kawasaki green and 750 two-stroke
triples, of Yvon Duhamel's cat-and-mouse games and the
artistry of Steve Baker.

Eventually, I started to pursue interests other than the race track.
I got my motorcycle licence and began wandering the backroads on my own. I
found myself stopping along sideroads if I saw a rider sitting alone, just
checking to see if I could be of help. And I continued to wave to each
biker I saw. But I remained confused as to why some riders never waved
back. It left me with almost a feeling of rejection, as if I were reaching
to shake someone's hand but they kept their arm hanging by their side. I
began to canvass my friends about waving. I talked with people I
met at bike events, asking what they thought. Most of the riders told me
they waved to other motorcyclists and often initiated the friendly air
handshake as they passed one another.

I did meet some riders, though, who told me that they did not wave to
other riders because they felt that they were different from other bikers.
They felt that they were "a breed apart." One guy told me in colorful
language that he did not "wave to no wusses. He went on to say that his
kind of bikers were tough, independent, and they did not require or want
the help of anyone, whether they rode a bike or not.

I suspected that there were some people who bought a bike because
they wanted to purchase an image of being tougher, more independent, a
not-putting-up-with-anyone's-crap kind of person, but I did not think that
this was typical of most riders.

People buy bikes for different reasons. Some will be quick to tell
you what make it is, how much they paid for it, or how fast it will go.
Brand loyalty is going to be strong for some people whether they have a
Harley, Ford, Sony, Nike or whatever. Some people want to buy an image and
try to purchase another person's perception of them. But it can't be done.
They hope that it can, but it can't. Still, there is a group of people who
ride bikes who truly are a "breed apart." They appreciate both the
engineering and the artistry in the machines they ride. Their bikes become
part of who they are and how they define themselves to themselves alone.

Kickaha
13th August 2005, 18:04
They don't care what other people think. They don't care if anyone
knows how much they paid for their bike or how fast it will go. The bike
means something to them that nothing else does. They ride for themselves
and not for anyone else. They don't care whether anyone knows they have a
bike. They may not be able to find words to describe what it means to
ride, but they still know. They might not be able to explain what it means
to feel the smooth acceleration and the strength beneath them. But they
understand.

These are the riders who park their bikes, begin to walk away and
then stop. They turn and took back. They see something when they look at
their bikes that you might not. Something more complex, something that is
almost secret, sensed rather than known. They see their passion. They see a
part of themselves.

These are the riders who understand why they wave to other
motorcyclists. They savor the wave. It symbolizes the connection between
riders, and if they saw you and your bike on the side of the road, they
would stop to help and might not ask your name. They understand what you
are up against every time you take your bike on the road-the drivers that
do not see you, the ones that cut you off or tailgate you, the potholes
that hide in wait. The rain. The cold. I have been shivering and sweating
on a bike for more than 40 years. Most of the riders that pass give me a
supportive wave. I love it when I see a younger rider on a "crotch rocket"
scream past me and wave. New riders carrying on traditions.

And I will continue in my attempts to get every biker just a little
closer to one another with a simple wave of my gloved clutch hand. And if
they do not wave back when I extend my hand into the breeze as I pass them,
I will smile a little more. They may be a little mistaken about just who is
a "breed apart."

Virago
13th August 2005, 18:59
...........And I will continue in my attempts to get every biker just a little
a "breed apart."
Food for thought - thanks for the post!

feistyredhead
13th August 2005, 20:00
They don't care what other people think. They don't care if anyone
knows how much they paid for their bike or how fast it will go. The bike
means something to them that nothing else does. They ride for themselves
and not for anyone else. They don't care whether anyone knows they have a
bike. They may not be able to find words to describe what it means to
ride, but they still know. They might not be able to explain what it means
to feel the smooth acceleration and the strength beneath them. But they
understand.

These are the riders who park their bikes, begin to walk away and
then stop. They turn and took back. They see something when they look at
their bikes that you might not. Something more complex, something that is
almost secret, sensed rather than known. They see their passion. They see a
part of themselves.

These are the riders who understand why they wave to other
motorcyclists. They savor the wave. It symbolizes the connection between
riders, and if they saw you and your bike on the side of the road, they
would stop to help and might not ask your name. They understand what you
are up against every time you take your bike on the road-the drivers that
do not see you, the ones that cut you off or tailgate you, the potholes
that hide in wait. The rain. The cold. I have been shivering and sweating
on a bike for more than 40 years. Most of the riders that pass give me a
supportive wave. I love it when I see a younger rider on a "crotch rocket"
scream past me and wave. New riders carrying on traditions.

And I will continue in my attempts to get every biker just a little
a "breed apart."

awesome what a great story thanks for taking the time to post it. :woohoo:

Aitch
13th August 2005, 20:46
Dunno if it's weather induced but some days I get heaps of response and other days I get nadda...???

It's kinda like lottery now...... I'll spot a bike and start wondering if there'll be a response and do a quick 'probability' calculation then check the weather.....then identify there make/style of bike....then......Ooops.....missed that one! :whistle:

But I do try and wave/nod at anything on 2 legs...Oops....WHEELS... :lol:

WAVE BACK YER HEAR!!!!! :cool:

But on my GS1200 I usually get a wave back. The other day I was riding a VTR250 (and not a bad ride for a little bike might I add) and of the 3 or 4 bikers I waved at, not one waved back......does size matter???????

Bonez
13th August 2005, 21:59
But on my GS1200 I usually get a wave back. The other day I was riding a VTR250 (and not a bad ride for a little bike might I add) and of the 3 or 4 bikers I waved at, not one waved back......does size matter???????Certainly not to me. Hell, even been waving to moped riders on the scoot to and from work lately but please don't tell anyone ah :psst:

Ixion
13th August 2005, 22:54
"You just do. It's important."

Got it in one. You just do. Tis the Golden Rule and the Unwritten Gospel.

tracyprier
23rd August 2005, 11:26
I've always felt that bikers who don't wave just don't get biking... and they are the poorer for it.

tracyprier
23rd August 2005, 11:27
Oh... and I ride a Beemer

old farts
2nd October 2005, 18:35
I used to stop if there was a big group of bikers stopped somewhere so my kids could have a look at the bikes, and they always waved when they went past, now 15years later im one of those bikers !!!

Motu
2nd October 2005, 19:04
I've always felt that bikers who don't wave just don't get biking... and they are the poorer for it.

I don't get it...I really don't - why this fashionation with waving?

Gremlin
2nd October 2005, 19:06
We are being friendly. It's the camaraderie. :laugh:

Grinner
2nd October 2005, 19:29
I wave to all.

It's just an acknowledgement that you are part of a wider tribe on whom you can depend.
Likewise if I ever pass a bike broke down on the side of the road I always stop and see if there is anything I can do, help get them started, give them a lift or whatever.

Waving is to be encouraged always. :spudwave: :spudwave: :spudwave:

Jackrat
2nd October 2005, 19:55

It's all about THEIR self image.
And if you don't match up,,,,,,,,good on ya'

cowpoos
2nd October 2005, 20:07

I nod...and sometimes wave....but alot of the time people don't wave back...and yeah...you feel like an arse!!!!!

ducatilover
2nd October 2005, 20:10
i wave to all bikers......so if you see a little gn[black with no stickers please wave or nod back....i'll most probably be trying to hit the pegs at a big roundabout] whilst in p-nth. :headbang: i like to wave at hd riders in groups to see if they wanna bash me........ :devil2:

Pablo Uganda
2nd October 2005, 20:14
Once when I had a VN1400 about 8 years ago, a whole group of gang members waved to me as they came the other way.
I was dumbstruck, as I never waved.
The only thing I can think of is that the first one thought I was on a hog and the others were just being sheep and following the leader.
Gave me a good laugh for a while thinking that they waved at a 'Jappa'....

But then again, maybe they were just good guys huh? :not:

FEINT
3rd October 2005, 10:13
I wave / nod to all.

You do meet the newbie or commuter that has no clue what waving is all about. They stare at you as if you are well, crazy?

:spudwave: :spudwave:

thealmightytaco
21st January 2006, 22:32
Still being a bit new to the motorbike game, I've found it far easier to nod than to wave to fellow bikers, for fear of losing complete control. I occasionally see the same thing but rarely compared to the good old wave.

Is the nod an acceptable form of currency or is it too easily confused with a guy trying to scratch his chin on the zip of his jacket?

I will continue to practise the wave, don't you worry, but in the interim...

John Banks
21st January 2006, 22:36
There are always times when taking your hands off the grips is ill advised, and I've rarely seen people not respond to the nod.

fishb8nz
21st January 2006, 22:42
Hey TATaco - Any form of acknowledgement for a fellow biker's cool. I've seen almost impercectible nods, big nods, full Heil Hitler type salutes (never get enough time for one of those), headlamp flashes, left hand waves. all work. My new bike has a decent headlight flasher and I've started to use it instead of the lh wave.

thealmightytaco
21st January 2006, 22:46
Sweeeeet, cause the nod just feels right too, ya know.

skelstar
21st January 2006, 22:53
I imagine the black helmet, black visor nod is quite hard to detect...Ill try and wave more.

Sketchy_Racer
21st January 2006, 22:54
yea anything is good, bar the fingers..... any biker that rips the fingers to another biker is just a pompus arsehole imho

Bonez
22nd January 2006, 00:16
yea anything is good, bar the fingers..... any biker that rips the fingers to another biker is just a pompus arsehole imhoAll depends on what the twat has done to deserve the "bird" really. Just remember there are some pompus arseholes riding bikes that think they own the roads.

LXS
22nd January 2006, 09:34
I have always wanted to do the Hail Hitler type salute, alas I always run out of time and the moment passes *sigh*

The customary nod in surburbia, on the motorway the left handed wave.

Beemer
22nd January 2006, 09:44
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind man, as the old saying goes! If a rider nods at me, he or she gets the same response as they would if they'd waved. I usually wave, but if I am coming around a corner or the other rider was obscured in some way, I will nod as it's faster and easier to do than waving. :spudwave:

far queue
22nd January 2006, 10:32
A nod's as good as a wink to a blind man, as the old saying goes! If a rider nods at me, he or she gets the same response as they would if they'd waved. I usually wave, but if I am coming around a corner or the other rider was obscured in some way, I will nod as it's faster and easier to do than waving. :spudwave:
I'm happy to wave to anyone on a bike, but I think there's a bit of snobbery among some riders. When I finally got a decent sized bike (GSX750) and started going to rallies and so on about 8 years ago, I noticed that the Harley riders more often than not didn't wave back, but the sport/tourer bikes more often than not did. I also noticed that my mates, who had been riding to rallies for some time, also on Jap sport/tourers, weren't waving at Harleys. So I figured that as Harley riders generally rubished Jap bikes, and Jap riders generally rubished Harleys, they didn't acknowledge each other on the road. Which I thought was a bit silly, and just kept waving. Now (for the last 3 years) I ride a big dirt bike to the rallies and still generally don't get waved to by the Harley riders and often not by the sport bike riders either now. Get over yourselves people, we're all bike riders, enjoying the same thrills, hardships and so on no matter what brand or size of bike we ride. :grouphug: So feel free to wave, nod, or whatever to all the other bikes out there.:spudwave:

zadok
22nd January 2006, 10:41
I mainly go for the nod over the wave. Found the same thing as most.....Harley riders almost never respond. Stuff 'em.

Beemer
22nd January 2006, 10:47
I mainly go for the nod over the wave. Found the same thing as most.....Harley riders almost never respond. Stuff 'em.

Same here - although I have had the odd gang member on a Harley wave back! I tend to wave to just about everyone and feel bad if they get the wave in first! GN250 riders fall into a similar category too - I've only ever had ONE wave back.

SpeedyGirl
22nd January 2006, 10:49
I nod mostly but sometimes the wave comes out :spudwave: ....... do not get very many back tho

Ixion
22nd January 2006, 10:58
I find that Harleys sometimes nod back when I wave on ratty of Petal. Never on Der UberFarter or Phoebe. I guess they're taken aback by Ratty's sheer cheek, and nod before they realise what they're doing. And maybe think Petal is some sort of weird crusier. Since 'tis bigger than a Harley, and noisier.

zadok
22nd January 2006, 11:04
Same here - although I have had the odd gang member on a Harley wave back! I tend to wave to just about everyone and feel bad if they get the wave in first! GN250 riders fall into a similar category too - I've only ever had ONE wave back.
The GN250 is generally regarded as a beginners bike. Maybe they are new to riding and don't realise. Posibility.

Nicksta
22nd January 2006, 11:13
i nod.... and get a lot of nods back... not so much from the harleys... but pretty much all sport bikes... dont think you'll catch me waving... too hard basket... the nod is universal i think...

far queue
22nd January 2006, 12:21
OK, so it's not just me then. Any Harley riders out there with a take on this ?:spudwhat:

Bonez
22nd January 2006, 12:26
Get over yourselves people, we're all bike riders, enjoying the same thrills, hardships and so on no matter what brand or size of bike we ride. :grouphug: So feel free to wave, nod, or whatever to all the other bikes out there.:spudwave: Aint that the truth. I've met nice folk riding all sorts of motorised two wheeled transport. Also meet right cunts. Have found though that most HD and sprotbling riders wave if by themselves though. Must be a peer pressure thing ;).

APPLE
22nd January 2006, 12:38
both on all accounts,wave@nod?but wot would b supercool,would b 2 do the old jake'' the muss''and ''Bette thingeee?and raise the old eyebrows,but who in the heck would c that???:blip: :blip: :blip:

Jackrat
22nd January 2006, 12:46
OK, so it's not just me then. Any Harley riders out there with a take on this ?:spudwhat:

I've owned two HD's and a lot of jap bikes,plus a couple of odd balls from places I can't spell,,,like ingland or summint.
You got it in a nut shell with your first post though.
In the time I had my HD's I never got a responce from a jap rider so I gave up.Actualy as much as Some HD riders and Some jap riders will point the finger at each other,their often just as bad as each other.
I think there's a shit load of people stuck on a 70's stereotype even though most of then weren't even born then.
Those of us that were,tend to have got over it.

zeRax
22nd January 2006, 12:53
i wave to everyone always, can tell when people nod back easily enough but sometimes u feel like u waved for nothing, u probably can put it down to bikes, gn's n beginers, harleys and uppity cunts, midlife crisis and fg650 adventure touring guys. it is really silly thou, u cannot depict people that ride these bikes as snobs or newbikers, perhaps it is just the time and place that u dont get a wave, something else on their mind etc.

i wouldnt get too upset with people not waving back

Pathos
22nd January 2006, 13:11
Harleys ignore little sports bikes cause they aint "cool" enough :P

A bike with a pillion passenger will always wave back, cause they're out to enjoy them selves.

JMemonic
22nd January 2006, 14:02
After having been of bikes for a few years I had forgotten the custom, took me about 5 minutes on the open road to remember, as to HD owners well I have had them wave back and in groups, and jap bike owners not wave, any one who does not on the straight stretches gets my vote for :tugger: no matter the bike, hell I have had patched up gang memers wave or even talk at a stop, yet these mid life crisis, dry weather harley riders snub me on the side of the road when I stop at a cafe for a coffee, maybe cause I didnt order some fancy latte with a twist. Figgure that out.

sunhuntin
22nd January 2006, 19:09

oi beemer....i wave to anyone on two wheels...though im considering not doing so around town due to major lack of response. and on the open road, i more often than not get a wave in return. edit: i even wave at lil kids sometimes....gotta love it! scare mum and dad witless, but keep the kids happy for a wee while.

re the nodding....i tend to miss it and feel stink for not responding. i have used it now and then, but prefer the wave [semi hitler-ish now i think about it]

sunhuntin: kid friendly

Mad Cow
22nd January 2006, 19:30
The GN250 is generally regarded as a beginners bike. Maybe they are new to riding and don't realise. Posibility.

Nah I am a GN rider and I learnt really quickly the custom of the nod / wave!
The reason I nod and don't wave is that I am still at the stage of holding on for dear life!! :ride:

far queue
22nd January 2006, 19:33
i even wave at lil kids sometimes....gotta love it! scare mum and dad witless, but keep the kids happy for a wee while.

Yeah I've done that - wave at the kids in the back seat of the car in front of me, and just imagine Mum & Dad in the front seats telling the kids to ignore the nasty biker :yeah:

Reminds me of a funny experience I had a few years ago on the way down to the Hokinui rally (Gore). I got stuck behind a bus for a bit, and when the guys in the back seat spotted me they started pressing Penthouse centrefolds up against the back window :clap: I gave them the thumbs up as I went past and got the impression that it was a busload off on a rugby trip or something like that :drinkup: nice friendly chaps anyway :2thumbsup

Fordy
22nd January 2006, 19:38
Diffrent countries, diffrent customs.

In the UK the nod is most common. In mainland Europe (what I've seen in France, Belgium and Holland) they stick their left leg out. Here, its a friendly wave....except the HoGs :finger:

Goblin
22nd January 2006, 19:43
Here, its a friendly wave....except the HoGs :finger:
:rofl: I got a wave from a chick on the back of a hog with the biggest ape-hangers today! Yehaaa! Seems she was having as much fun as me:shake:

kro
22nd January 2006, 19:46
The nod is where it all began for me, waving is a recent phenomenon for me. The nod is classy, and keeps all hands where they should be.

Suzi Q
22nd January 2006, 19:51
I generally nod - have to think too much to wave! Yesterday I actually managed to wave, unfortunately it was at a Buell and 2 harleys and no one took the trouble to acknowledge. I was slightly pissed as I actually made the effort to wave for a change! I do find nodding to be so much easier and try to make it look like a nod and not a head shake over a bump!!!:spudwave:
So for me 90% nod 10% wave. Every so often I will lift a finger (not the bird) - old habits die hard this is a farmers acknowledgement. I like waving at kids when they wave from the side of the road or from cars.
When we were in Europe we did a big bus trip up a mountain pass and we were in the back seat - saw a group of bikes behind us so I waved like a maniac - would have loved to be on a bike with them.:mellow:

DMNTD
22nd January 2006, 20:10
Nod,wave,spank my leather clad butt :Oops: ...you name it I've done it.
Don't give a toss what they're riding either. Scooters,GN's or Harley's...you'll all have to tolerate it:Pokey:
Bit sad when some are genuine snobs no matter what they ride but it doesn't bother me as I'm too busy in my own yee haaa world.
Not my fault they are sad arsed judgemental buggers...hold on,was that a judgement? Shocking yet I have moved on...:psst:

Finn
22nd January 2006, 20:23
:rofl: I got a wave from a chick on the back of a hog with the biggest ape-hangers today! Yehaaa! Seems she was having as much fun as me:shake:

Or do you mean with the biggest ape hanging on?

Goblin
22nd January 2006, 20:32
Or do you mean with the biggest ape hanging on?
Heheh!! That too! But what the hey??? We're all having fun when we're out there riding.
For me it doesn't matter what you're riding, as long as you are enjoying it. I wave to everyone on two wheels, even hogs and scooters!:laugh: We all take the same risks out on the road. Don't really care if they dont wave back. I know I'm having fun.:ride:

2much
22nd January 2006, 20:44
Always wave unless I don't notice them or I'm too busy where I'll usually nod.
Wave at everyone except scooters and gangs.
Don't give a fuck if they don't wave/nod back, their problem not mine, atleast I'm having fun.

sunhuntin
22nd January 2006, 21:19
waving at bikes has become such a habit, im learning how to do so while tearing through a roundabout on a nice lean, lol. one of my first out of town trips, got passed by three harleys....they all waved as they went passed....still one of my favourite memories....got me so excited, i was literally howling and waving a fist, lol.

only thing i dont wave at is scooters....since they likely as not wont reply at all.

R1madness
23rd January 2006, 08:18
A wave, a nod, a salute, its all good. Does anyone know the origon of the friendly wave from travelers? Apparently its a custom from the early 8th century, when passing travelers saw each other they would raise their right hand as they approached to show they were not armed. Leftys were considered the devils workers and were murdered.

Oakie
23rd January 2006, 08:18
I wave on the highway and nod in the city although if someone throws me a wave in the city they'll get one back.
I don't generally care what people are riding. Biker numbers are small enough already without sub-dividing us further.
And yeah, wee kids in the back of cars are great. Their whole faces light up when you wave back at them.

dawnrazor
23rd January 2006, 08:23
A nod is as good as a wink, but I try not to wink in public!

deathstar
23rd January 2006, 08:32
i'm still in the "take your hands on the grips and you WILL die" situation at the mo but when i learn to take em off i will wave and even dance if the moment feels right

R1madness
23rd January 2006, 08:58
Hey deathstar, If ya take one hand off the bar you will be fine. It may even improve your riding because if you relax your hands a little you will ride smoother and not be as tierd. You can help to steer your bike just by putting some extra weight on the footpeg that will be on the inside of the corner.
Until then nod a bit.

MidnightMike
23rd January 2006, 09:06
I say just pull a giant wheelie :headbang: now thats legal tender.

deathstar
23rd January 2006, 09:07
shall have to give it a try just don't want to come off just to give someone a wave instead of the friendly nod

HenryDorsetCase
23rd January 2006, 10:24
<snip> and so on no matter what brand or size of bike we ride. :grouphug: So feel free to wave, nod, or whatever to all the other bikes out there.:spudwave:

gotta rep you for that....

I am riding an old Jap bike at present, and most people wave, UNTIL they realise its just not a cool bike. Im over it now..... :) and I think its a cool little bike.

MisterD
23rd January 2006, 11:20
only thing i dont wave at is scooters....since they likely as not wont reply at all.

I nod to all bikers, and usually get a nod back....I often wonder how many responses are just reflex with the other rider off up the road thinkin "Why'd I do that? It was only a scooter!"

terbang
20th February 2006, 09:23
I think all motorcycles are cool and have ridden a lot of them (all kinds) and enjoyed every minute of it. I allways acknowledge ALL other bikes on the road with either a wave or a nod and take enjoyment in this simple act of brotherhood when others acknowledge in a similar way..It is very noticable (much more so than other M/C types) that those who ride cruisers (harleys or Jappers) rarely even acknowledge other motorcyclists with even a slight nod.. Why is this so..?

MSTRS
20th February 2006, 09:36
Even arseholes in disguise are still arseholes. The Harley is sometimes a clue, but why do you not rant about sprotbike-riders when someone on a GXFZGPZ1000 doesn't wave back?? There's plenty of them too.

Firefight
20th February 2006, 09:41
but why do you not rant about sprotbike-riders when someone on a GXFZGPZ1000 doesn't wave back?? There's plenty of them too.

don,t worry, I feel sure our resident groch from Huntly will wander along soon and have some anti sports bike comment to make, matching leathers, non waving buggers that we apparently ALL are.

F/F

MSTRS
20th February 2006, 09:44
F/F - lol .

Motu
20th February 2006, 10:40
don,t worry, I feel sure our resident groch from Huntly will wander along soon and have some anti sports bike comment to make, matching leathers, non waving buggers that we apparently ALL are.

F/F

Yep - yesterday I waved to pushbikes,kids on the side of the road and even a 4x4 driver who gave way to me when he didn't need to....but not to the 3 sportsbikes who didn't even acknowledge the 3 adventure bikes going the other way.But I don't care,the kids get a buzz being waved to by bikes....no matter what they are.

Firefight
20th February 2006, 10:42
Yep - yesterday I waved to pushbikes,kids on the side of the road and even a 4x4 driver who gave way to me when he didn't need to....but not to the 3 sportsbikes who didn't even acknowledge the 3 adventure bikes going the other way.But I don't care,the kids get a buzz being waved to by bikes....no matter what they are.

wish I could pick the lotto as easy as this.

F/F

enigma51
20th February 2006, 10:55

hook line and sinker

Good on you FF :2thumbsup

Big Dave
20th February 2006, 11:01
It's 2006. The wave is dead. Move on.

Marmoot
20th February 2006, 11:04
I only wave to shiny late model sportbikes.

No need to wave to the other LESSER types of bikes

Yeh I nod... but you gotta remember that sometimes the rider might be doing something that means he either doesn't notice you there, or doesn't have the chance to nod.

If I'm scanning my mirrors to make sure the guys at the back of the group aren't falling too far behind, or concentrating on actually getting around a roundabout or turning, then please don't feel disappointed if I don't stop the bike, get off and give a big mexican wave all on my own.

Under ordinary road conditions I will... but I don't remember signing anything when I started biking that said you're a dick if you miss a wave / nod every now and again.

My 2c.

Marmoot
20th February 2006, 11:11
but I don't remember signing anything when I started biking that said you're a dick if you miss a wave / nod every now and again.

My 2c.

true.... a d1ck is a d1ck no matter you wave/nod or not
:kick:

Motu
20th February 2006, 11:31
wish I could pick the lotto as easy as this.

F/F

The waving thread comes up every week like Lotto too....and it seems only sportsbike riders bring it up,if there is a problem I certainly know where to point the finger.

Lou Girardin
20th February 2006, 11:41
I've had a lot of Harley riders return a wave, even gang members. They seem to wait for us to wave first.

DemonWolf
20th February 2006, 11:45
Think ya right there Lou Girardin... most return a wave or nod.. Only seen a couple wave first. I dont mind if people dont wave or nod back.. I'm ok with myself that its not going to be a disappointment and ruin my day.. I just do it because I get a good feeling from it..

XTC
20th February 2006, 11:49
Don't worry about it.... Some people like to wave and some don't. It's a personal choice thingy. Just do what you wanna do and let others do the same.

outlawtorn
20th February 2006, 12:42
I wave or nod to any passing bike when it is safe for me to do so, if someone doesn't nod or wave back don't get offended, maybe they didn't see because they are concentrating on whats ahead or they did see you and didn't have time to acknowledge.

FWIW I wave to everyone on two wheels except for snotty nosed ponsonby scooters riders and these dumb fucks on mini-choppers.

TygerTung
20th February 2006, 13:13
I wave to everyone I can.

In my experience I get more waves on my CG than when I'm on my mates KR250 sportsbike! Even harleys often wave to me on the CG, probably becuase they feel sorry for me?

enigma51
20th February 2006, 13:20
The waving thread comes up every week like Lotto too....and it seems only sportsbike riders bring it up,if there is a problem I certainly know where to point the finger.

Stop biting!

idb
20th February 2006, 13:56
........... please don't feel disappointed if I don't stop the bike, get off and give a big mexican wave all on my own.

Now you're just being silly.
You can't do a Mexican Wave on your own............

Audience wave
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stadium audience performing "the wave" at the Confederations Cup 2005 in FrankfurtThe "audience wave" (also called a Mexican wave, or simply "the wave") is a phenomenon that commonly occurs in the audiences of sporting events, and sometimes in other large crowds. A wave is a coordinated sequence of actions taken by the audience members in which a group of spectators lying along a radial line extending outward from the sport field all stand up and raise their arms, then return to a normal seated posture again as the neighboring group of spectators takes their turn to stand up.

The result is a "wave" of standing audience members that travels rapidly through the audience, even though individual audience members never move from their seats (thus, the wave could be said to be a transverse wave). In many large arenas the audience is seated in a circular arrangement all the way around the sport field, and so the wave is able to travel continuously around the arena; in non-circular seating arrangements, the wave can instead reflect back and forth through the audience. When the gap in seating is narrow, the wave can sometimes pass through it. Usually only one wave crest will be present at any given time in an arena. Simultaneous, counter-rotating waves have been produced.

See.....!

Motu
20th February 2006, 14:07
Stop biting!

Um....I think you have the wrong end of the tiger here - I don't give a rat's arse about waving,it seems to be a sportsbike issue....I just keep feeding the flame,feeding the flame....

Motoracer
20th February 2006, 16:04
Yep, I'm too cool to wave.

kiwifruit
20th February 2006, 16:29
It's 2006. The wave is dead. Move on.
noooooooo :'( *sob*
say it aint so!

Big Dave
20th February 2006, 16:32
noooooooo :'( *sob*
say it aint so!

Oh OK - but only more than 50km from a town?

Virago
20th February 2006, 16:47
As mentioned in another thread, I saw 6 other bikes on a short ride to the Post Office yesterday, 5 sprotbikes and 1 Harley. I waved to them all, and only got one wave back - from the Harley rider.

Hmmm, does this make all sprotbike riders to be snobbish wankers?:wacko:

Meanie
20th February 2006, 20:29
Hmmm To wave or not to wave, to nod or not to nod That is the question :beer:
What is so hard about the wave it does take an extreme amount of energy and concentration

Nobody is too cool to wave :cool:

Whats the big deal its a Hello when it cant be heard
So wave dam it wave :cry:

thehovel
20th February 2006, 20:53
I still believe in the Code of the Road, So if your bike DOSEN'T handle like a wheel-barrow and you are on the open road WAVE!!!!! I will continue to check your bikes handling ability. Regards Richard

far queue
20th February 2006, 21:01

Yeah, I've been involved in this discussion a couple of times now. Someone usually ends up getting pissed off :angry2: then it's been fun to wind them up a bit more :buggerd: But it's got a bit monotonous for me now and I can't really be bothered anymore :yawn: Maybe if another fight starts, I might come back for wee play :lol:

In the meantime wave if you want, don't if you don't want, but I'll keep waving :spudwave:

Maha
20th February 2006, 21:10
I wave to everybody cos i got no mates, strange thing is, when i get to where im going i still got no mates.....................:laugh:

Kendog
20th February 2006, 21:20
The way I see it, when someone waves to me and I miss waving back I feel bad.

So when I wave to another biker and they don't wave back I don't feel bad, I just think they must be feeling bad as they missed the opportunity to wave to a fellow biker.

Motu
20th February 2006, 21:31
But it's got a bit monotonous for me now and I can't really be bothered anymore :yawn: Maybe if another fight starts, I might come back for wee play :lol:

In the meantime wave if you want, don't if you don't want, but I'll keep waving :spudwave:

Me too,it's bizzare so many people get wound up about it,what the hell - it's got nothing to do with riding a bike.I guess it's a social thing,and I'm not into any social activities at all.

thehollowmen
20th February 2006, 22:19
I just went from christchurch to dunedin and back, and I found it was the hunched over supersports riders who didn't wave.

I must have seen over two hundred riders and only a few didn't wave though. We're so friendly in the south you know...

SPman
21st February 2006, 00:26
Sometimes I wave
Sometimes I don't
But I dont stress about it!
Lifes not gonna end if no one waves back!

Korea
21st February 2006, 03:06
If your Wave / Don't Wave thought process goes a bit like this...

"Oh boy! Another biker coming my way!"
"Guess I better break out a wave..."
"But wait! What if they don't wave back?"
"I could look like a total retard"
"..."
"They're getting closer!"
"Um... I'll wave... no wait for the other dude to go first..."
"..."
"He's not waving..."
"..."
"Oh fuckit, this is stupid... just wave dammit"
"But maybe they'll think I'm someone they know..."
"Alright, that's it I'm waving"
"..."
"Only 20 metres left to go. Why won't they wave to ME???"
"Here goes... I'm waving! I'm really waving!!!"
"Wh~ where'd the road go! Arrrgh..."

...you need to think less ~ lay of the green stuff and hopefully the paranoia will back off a bit too...

NC
21st February 2006, 07:10
I'm fair, I ignore everyone.

You don't HAVE to nod or wave to every fucker on a bike sheeet!

idb
21st February 2006, 08:30
..............I'm not into any social activities at all.
Check your post count!

Ixion
21st February 2006, 10:56
I wave to everything - but I ain't waving to YOU , cos prolly I hate you. I'm waving to your BIKE, cos I like machinery more than people.

skidMark
21st February 2006, 11:03
hook line and sinker

Good on you FF :2thumbsup

took the whole boat mate

Motu
21st February 2006, 11:24
took the whole boat mate

Doubt it - F/F was responding to my burley...I didn't even have to post on the thread before he started snapping.Who's pulling who's chain - those who care about waving,or those who couldn't care less?

Big Dave
21st February 2006, 11:54
Lifes not gonna end if no one waves back!

Light Waves*? Sound Waves - wadda you going to do about them? huh huh?

*Unless you are a photicle person.

Lou Girardin
21st February 2006, 12:11
So who waved to all the bikers heading to and from Paeroa?
You would've looked like crazed windmill.

Big Dave
21st February 2006, 14:56

or (insert dictator of choice)

HenryDorsetCase
21st February 2006, 16:13
true.... a d1ck is a d1ck no matter you wave/nod or not
:kick:

sometimes I wave my dick about, but thats usually a lot more trouble than just waving with a hand..

skidz
22nd February 2006, 09:45
Well, it's a bikers choice to be ignorant and not wave. I'll wave to anyone and too bad if they don't wanna wave back. I fell that if these sportsbike riders don't wave, they must have a reason for it. Maybe leaning over the tank after 100ks travel they are too sore in the arms. Don't worry, alot of Harley riders don't wave to me, but I'm sure they must be HOG members who think their own shit don't stink.:nya:

sabbath
25th February 2006, 20:18
Even arseholes in disguise are still arseholes. The Harley is sometimes a clue, but why do you not rant about sprotbike-riders when someone on a GXFZGPZ1000 doesn't wave back?? There's plenty of them too.
i drive a truck for a living so as you can posibly understand truck drivers are always waving out or flashing the indicators at night alday long then you jump on the (i'll give you a clue)harley and you miss one brother out off god knows how many in a day and you get trashed for it.just becouse we are riding class!!!!!:2guns: :2guns: :puke: :Playnice:

In The Breeze
25th February 2006, 20:24
just becouse we are riding class!!!!!:2guns: :2guns: :puke: :Playnice: :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme
All jokes aside youre right man. Can't wave at 'em all eh. Im usually to busy concentrating

sabbath
25th February 2006, 20:30
:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme
All jokes aside youre right man. Can't wave at 'em all eh. Im usually to busy concentrating
awesome wheels ,i'd wave to ya anytime lol,she's all class mate...least you would never be cought short lol:moon: :doh: :niceone:

far queue
25th February 2006, 20:36
I had my first EVER Harley rider wave back to me today :banana: Just thought I'd mention it.

skidMark
25th February 2006, 20:47
did you nearly ride off the road in shock?

sabbath
25th February 2006, 20:48
did you nearly ride off the road in shock?
he would off barred up first

hunt
25th February 2006, 20:54
well my bike vibrates too much to take my hands of the bars i have a enough trouble switching the headlight on, a lot of bikers do wave out, i usually just lift my head up but that aint a nod either,

skidMark
25th February 2006, 21:18
mainly cruiser riders will give you a sup but a nod from sportsbike riders.....

i usually give a nod well actually i do to every biker half of the time i may get something back.....give the odd wave but a big head nod usually seems to do the trick. :wavey:

SwanTiger
25th February 2006, 21:34
I think all motorcycles are cool and have ridden a lot of them (all kinds) and enjoyed every minute of it. I allways acknowledge ALL other bikes on the road with either a wave or a nod and take enjoyment in this simple act of brotherhood when others acknowledge in a similar way..It is very noticable (much more so than other M/C types) that those who ride cruisers (harleys or Jappers) rarely even acknowledge other motorcyclists with even a slight nod.. Why is this so..?

9 times out of 10 I will acknowledge another rider if it is safe to do so and I notice them. Although 5 imes out of 10 will I get a response, cruisers are the worst, they seem (for the majority) to be the weekend cruiser sort who take their bitch out once in a while to look the part.

A lot of people I have waved to on dirt bikes and scooters wave back with an animated posture of surprise "Holy fuck, hes waving at me".

sunhuntin
25th February 2006, 21:43

i waved at the few i saw...saw a few heading south, waved and generally got a response....got waves from anything that passed me. once i got closer to paeroa...the waves got less, and were virtually non existant when i left. quite gutted about that more lack of response than anything, specially when on a straight....
its about a 50/50 split between the harley/crusier and sprot riders that dont respond...i figure theyre distracted by something. i hate when i miss responding to a wave/nod when im busy cutting round a corner or whatever, but i do try and at least flick my head up.
like someone else said, ill wave at anything cept scooters and those crazy mini chopper riders...had one come into work...done up like OCCs black widow bike...used to love that bike, but thats made it laughing stock.
the kids especially...pulling out of the warehouse in matamata...little girl with her mum...kid was staring at the doll i had strapped to the back...so when i went by i tooted and waved....chick biker in the making? lol.

Ozzie
22nd July 2006, 18:37
I saw a two wheeler mr plod yesterday under the mount wellington over bridge (sthrn m'way). I was thinking as I approached, he's a biker, could even be on KB, he's a cop, tha's a job, I'm not doing anything wrong,,,,,,so,,,,,I give him the nod.

In return, he screwed his face up like a cats ass and just stared me out.

If you have seen different strokes, back ages ago, where the little fella (Arnold i think) used to screw his face up, and do the lip thing that only african american's can, and say "What you talkin about Willis?". Well, that was the face!

So what's up with these people? I would have thought, if I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm just a fellow biker, where is the harm in noding back or giving a wave?????

It could even boost the image, if only for biker cops.

Skyryder
22nd July 2006, 18:40
Win some, loose some. Some are just sour. No big deal. It's the world that we live in.

Skyryder

Meanie
22nd July 2006, 18:48
Yea you get nice people and arseholes dont matter if they are in uniform sometimes that turns them into arseholes

sunhuntin
22nd July 2006, 19:13
bugger. i quite often just get blank stares in response...never seen a cop on a bike, so dunno what the reponse would be [ok, not true...i have seen them, just never on the road, lol]

98tls
22nd July 2006, 19:26
Next time give him the finger.....might get a response...:innocent:

crashe
22nd July 2006, 19:59
Some cops wave and some dont when they are riding their work bikes..

No biggie if they dont. They could be listening to their ear piece of something that is happening...

Tis great when they do.

Nought to stress about thou.

Maha
22nd July 2006, 20:05
Next time give him the finger.....might get a response...:innocent:
Yea if you feel you really must acknowledge them, then, there is only one choice......:finger:

Maha
22nd July 2006, 20:11
Some cops wave and some dont when they are riding their work bikes..

No biggie if they dont. They could be listening to their ear piece of something that is happening...

Tis great when they do.

Nought to stress about thou.
When one is standing on one's back pegs while approaching :Police: then they might get a wave.......:whistle: :wavey:

98tls
22nd July 2006, 20:24
:doobey: had a moment a while ago...came over a rise a few miles out of oamaru doing around 190 clicks.....coming up the rise was a fucken cop:nono: ..saw the lights go on and thoght no point in stopping now i guess so kept going and took the next left......didnt think of it at the time but should have chucked him a bird as i went by...:yes:

Ixion
22nd July 2006, 21:31
I wave to bike cops. Get a nod back often as not. About the same ratio as any other sort of bike or rider. Except Ducatis. They never acknowledge. Stuck up bunch.

98tls
22nd July 2006, 21:36
I wave to bike cops. Get a nod back often as not. About the same ratio as any other sort of bike or rider. Except Ducatis. They never acknowledge. Stuck up bunch. FUCK em.....turn round and hunt them down on a twisty road :doobey: nothing better than passing a snot nosed duc rider on the latest incarnation of SS than on an 8 year old jap V-twin...:doobey: :doobey: :doobey: :doobey: