PDA

View Full Version : RG150 Rebuild

koba
12th November 2007, 14:34
My RG 150 has beeen cained mercilessly for a very long time.
As far as I can figure it probably has close to 50,000 on the clock, maybe or maybe not with a new top end in there.
Coyote owned it, reason enough to live in fear :p ( Jokes, mostly )

So what should I be doing to stop it blowing up?
Is it worth rebuilding the bottom end and all before she goes? (Ive seen a poked one and DAMN! thats a decent mess)
Or should I just open up the top whack in a piston if everything looks all good?

surfer
12th November 2007, 17:55
1.How is it running at the moment?
2.Does it start ok?
3.Any funny mechanical sounds coming from the engine?
4.Does it sound like a bag of nails being dragged down the road or is it ok sounding?
5.What is the compression like on the cyclindrs?
6.Does the cam chain (if you have one) sound rattlely?

My ten cents is that if it is running ok give it a decent service (plugs, leads, oil, filters) and let it be. Check your manual to see what needs to be done and do just that. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Alternatively if you want to have an adventure into the insides of your motor go for it, but you might want to consider doing this after the summer and when the decent riding weather has passed. Nothing worse than watching others blating up the road in the sunshine whilst you have a pile of bits in the garage.

koba
12th November 2007, 18:18
Cheers man, if it was a four stroke I would have no worries.
However its a 2 stroke and.... yeah nuff said.

quallman1234
12th November 2007, 18:36
Cheers man, if it was a four stroke I would have no worries.
However its a 2 stroke and.... yeah nuff said.

Hey you got a manual?

Im printing one out and could probably print another one out for you if you want. Gimme a yell if ur keen!

koba
13th November 2007, 11:08
Hey you got a manual?

Im printing one out and could probably print another one out for you if you want. Gimme a yell if ur keen!

Farken A!
Sure am, I will fling ya some bucks to cover the cost of printing it :headbang:

FilthyLuka
13th November 2007, 11:14
i reckon if she's goin okay, just replace oil, plugs ect like thingie above said. I'd whack in a new piston and hone the bore. Check the clearances, check powervalves (man i hate powervalves...)

Keep it lubed up and she'll be right :cool:

koba
14th November 2007, 09:28
Ok, I got the manual now, it shows all nessecary tolerances, clearances etc so should be all good to tear it down when i can spare the ike and time (ages away or in the case of noises) full powervalve clean and adjustment aswell as some attetion paid to the oil pump are way ahead of that on the list too.

quallman1234
20th November 2007, 20:37
starting my build tonight :shutup:

McJim
20th November 2007, 20:44
RG150s lap up a good caning- it's the ones that don't get thrashed that end up worse off.

2 strokes need to be treated mean (and fed fully synthetic 2T!)

So long as there's good quality oil in the gearbox too all should be fine.

koba
20th November 2007, 21:10
yep, after getting the manual from quallman, as above, I have cleaned out the exhaust and powervalves. (werent terrible anyway!)
Tweaked the oil pump and powervalve timing back to spec and SHIT it runs a bit sweeter, and after sneaking a peak at the piston up the exhaust port I thik thats where its going to stay for some time :) I can see how an UNcaned bike would be worse off with carbon buildup and all that.
Mine has not been nannered under my owership :shifty:

Good shit, I LOOOVE these bikes, can the rgv250's be 1.38888 times better??

quallman1234
20th November 2007, 22:05
yep, after getting the manual from quallman, as above, I have cleaned out the exhaust and powervalves. (werent terrible anyway!)
Tweaked the oil pump and powervalve timing back to spec and SHIT it runs a bit sweeter, and after sneaking a peak at the piston up the exhaust port I thik thats where its going to stay for some time :) I can see how an UNcaned bike would be worse off with carbon buildup and all that.
Mine has not been nannered under my owership :shifty:

Good shit, I LOOOVE these bikes, can the rgv250's be 1.38888 times better??

Oh whats that did you say you wanted to help me instead of rebuilding yours... Aww ok sure!

Just kidding :P.

Ive got no idea what im doing and worse of all my mum took the other manual i printed out back to work.

So right now im in the garage on the laptop with a super duper long cat 6 cable :).
reading the manual :P

You going on the weds night ride koba?

koba
21st November 2007, 09:26
You going on the weds night ride koba?

Yeah man I be there!

I can bring the printed out one you gave me too if ya want, its got a good share of grease, twostroke and kero on it already but im sure thats all good!

I may not be a whole lot of help to ya but I would actually be keen to come and have a gander :)

Coyote
21st November 2007, 10:07
My RG 150 has beeen cained mercilessly for a very long time.
As far as I can figure it probably has close to 50,000 on the clock, maybe or maybe not with a new top end in there.
Coyote owned it, reason enough to live in fear :p ( Jokes, mostly )

So what should I be doing to stop it blowing up?
Is it worth rebuilding the bottom end and all before she goes? (Ive seen a poked one and DAMN! thats a decent mess)
Or should I just open up the top whack in a piston if everything looks all good?
The current motor in it was mainly run by Jamezo, he was a caner too. I only did about 2000k's on that engine. However I did blow up it's original...

I reckon it's worth getting new crank bearings as that's what I reckon got the original motor. Did you find out what was wrong with it? Wasn't anything wrong with the top end was there?

quallman1234
21st November 2007, 11:25
Yeah man I be there!

I can bring the printed out one you gave me too if ya want, its got a good share of grease, twostroke and kero on it already but im sure thats all good!

I may not be a whole lot of help to ya but I would actually be keen to come and have a gander :)

I found the other print out man dw about it.
Im rebuilding the whole bottom end according to the manual.

I have a spare exhaust as well btw ;) :). *ahem twin*

koba
21st November 2007, 11:59
The current motor in it was mainly run by Jamezo, he was a caner too. I only did about 2000k's on that engine. However I did blow up it's original...

I reckon it's worth getting new crank bearings as that's what I reckon got the original motor. Did you find out what was wrong with it? Wasn't anything wrong with the top end was there?

Big end bearing by the look of it.
Iw was in the top end.
Piston was farked but prob only from when the bottom let go, was the big smash in the front of the barrel there when you did the top-end? coz it doesn't seem like it got there from this bang?
Nothing else seemed to wrong except that some idiot had done the base nuts up to a million footpound :Oops:

koba
21st November 2007, 12:01
I found the other print out man dw about it.
Im rebuilding the whole bottom end according to the manual.

I have a spare exhaust as well btw ;) :). *ahem twin*

Spare exhaust aye...

quallman1234
21st November 2007, 12:02
Hey quick question

A piece of the pistion skirt fell in to the crank hence the siezure of this engine. (because of the top end giving in)
It still turns over (with alot of effort!)
You reckon my bottom ends rooted?

svs
21st November 2007, 12:19
engine was also sitting outside for a while. wouldn't make a call on whether it's buggered until you can get the cases apart an look at the bearings. I think there may be a bit of rust in there.

Coyote
21st November 2007, 12:38
Big end bearing by the look of it.
Iw was in the top end.
Piston was farked but prob only from when the bottom let go, was the big smash in the front of the barrel there when you did the top-end? coz it doesn't seem like it got there from this bang?
Nothing else seemed to wrong except that some idiot had done the base nuts up to a million footpound :Oops:
Iw was in there?

The barrel was rebored by Kerry Lindsay Reconditioners, seemed in very nice condition before I put it on. Should've seen the old piston though, massive crack down it's side and the wall around it crumbled in my hand.

I'm glad it wasn't the top end anyway which is they only thing I tampered with.

I didn't have a torque wrench, just tightened it untill water stopped getting into the cylinder. It worked, didn't it?

quallman1234
21st November 2007, 12:58
engine was also sitting outside for a while. wouldn't make a call on whether it's buggered until you can get the cases apart an look at the bearings. I think there may be a bit of rust in there.

Thats the plan.