PDA

View Full Version : Blind buggers

Knottie
12th November 2007, 19:02
I never knew how blind people are, i have now had my first experience in having a car pull out in front of me, the funny thing is that your instinct (and everything I've read and learned) kicks in straight away, i managed to avoid getting splattered into a car!
In all my shock i still managed to find time to rip the finger, still not as satisfying as I'd hoped :argue:, the fact that i saw him hesitate then change his mind and go even though i was right there just pisses me off!:argh:
:2guns:Grrr oh well i'm still learning not to trust anyone in a car.
Anyone with tips on quick breaking would be great:2thumbsup

Xaria
12th November 2007, 19:41
Glad you are OK

Nasty
12th November 2007, 20:09
glad you are ok ... I don't trust anyone on the road ... not even Grub ... they are all able to do stupid things .. and often do .. except Grub!

kanny
12th November 2007, 20:32
It can be scary alright.Just got my learners.:woohoo:Went solo a week after real dumb heads out their.I had the same thing happen and a few more.Good you ok

Lteejay
13th November 2007, 07:06
Practise and more practise of emergency braking in a car park. Glad your OK

magicfairy
13th November 2007, 07:32
As they say "ride like you are naked and invisible"
It will keep you alive.

Finn
13th November 2007, 07:37
I met a blind person today. I arrived at work to find the lifts not working and a blind guy standing there waiting for the lift while people were standing around. They seemed scared of him for some reason and didn't think to tell him the lifts were a no go. I led him to the 6th floor up the stairs and sent him on his way.

Do you think we take our sight for granted? Got his wallet though.

vifferman
13th November 2007, 08:11
Got his wallet though.
You're a scream, Finn!:rofl:(<- that's not me, although I did almost smile).

Keep up the good work, fighting the PC Brigade! :niceone:

Knottie: you said, "i saw him hesitate then change his mind and go even though i was right there", which indicates he did see you. That happens to me a lot, partly because people find it hard to estimate the speed of a bike (its small size means they can't estimate it's speed based on how quickly it appears to be 'growing'), partly because they underestimate the acceleration, and partly because you're small and they just don't care.

I was actually considering buying some loud horns for the bike, and was on my way to Repco to check prices when a lady pulled out in front of me. Made the decision easier.
Bike horns should be loud enough to wake people up AND draw attention to the miscreants when you keep your thumb on the button till people look around to see what's going on.

Knottie
13th November 2007, 21:00
Thanks alot guys and really good to get a giggle when i read finn's.
I think practice makes perfect so will be out this weekend practicing!
Just hope i don't drop me bike, he he

Knottie
13th November 2007, 21:05
Just wondering who Grub is?

howdamnhard
13th November 2007, 21:09
Thanks alot guys and really good to get a giggle when i read finn's.
I think practice makes perfect so will be out this weekend practicing!
Just hope i don't drop me bike, he he

Glad you managed to avoid binning. Treat all other road users as idiots and then you will be fine.Yes and keep practicing and don't drop it like I did mine:pinch:

Knottie
13th November 2007, 21:24
I already dropped it at the petrol station, he he, embarrassed my man and got huge bruises all up me legs, luckily only snapped off the end of the clutch leaver.
Hey if I'm gonna be embarrassed I'm gonna bring someone down with me!:devil2:

Number One
14th November 2007, 21:10
As they say "ride like you are naked and invisible"
It will keep you alive.

Hee hee - hadn't heard this one...I was taught to treat everyone as blind as a bat and out to kill me to boot! Really did help me to hone my observation skills, look much further up the road and anticipate the traffic around me.

RE the drop - Happens to us all, I regularly drop hubbies bike but only because I have to get the damn thing round all his other crap - hee hee. He knows I'm a girl! I should have a clear run...AND even the big stinky boys sometimes drop theirs too :laugh: PLUS you'll find it will teach you more in that instant than dozens of nice event free rides.

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy it...I'm jealous as hell!

SHELRACING
14th November 2007, 21:13
I thought that being on a bigger bike would be a bit safer. I had several near misses and even managed a couple of stoppies. I always ride with extreme caution.
Alas I was mistaken.
Got cleaned out by a red light runner 2 mths ago, hit his windscreen with my head and then hit the road. I am still having a few problems with my knee, but came out of the crash with just a few minor injuries. Witnesses said I didnt have a hope of avoiding him.

I looked at some photos the other day of my bike at the crash scene. It was a big hit. I consider myself very lucky to be ok.

It makes no difference ladies, when you are on a bike you are at risk.

My only advice I can give to you all ( if you do ever come off,cross fingers you never do.) is to relax and roll. Tense up and you will get more hurt.

Granma

cheviot
26th December 2007, 20:14
I'm thinking of investing in on of these horns. At least when it's sounded it may scare the vision impaired out of your way. Check it out. http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2007_1.htm

James Deuce
26th December 2007, 20:23
Contact WarlockNZ (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=7402) Cheviot, he imports them by the job lot.

Swoop
26th December 2007, 20:31
Just like in this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=57116&highlight=Stebel) thread... among others.