PDA

View Full Version : WGTN: Hutt News Article (13/11/07)

Dodger
13th November 2007, 19:14
Article from the Hutt News today.
:oi-grr:

(rescanned to be clearer and included second biker article)

Colapop
13th November 2007, 19:36
JEEZ! Talk about poetic license! One of the big things about this campaign, that I personally have not made comment about, is Daniel's death. I do not believe that his life or death should be remembered by reference to WRB's. Other than that it's pretty good.

janno
13th November 2007, 20:22
Thought that was pretty good - they could have easily gone the side of Transit but chose to be very sympathetic to our point of view. Shame we didn't get anything in the Dom. Perhaps if we called our ride a hikoi and worn scarves over our faces it would have got tons of coverage?

Sanx
13th November 2007, 23:31
JEEZ! Talk about poetic license! One of the big things about this campaign, that I personally have not made comment about, is Daniel's death. I do not believe that his life or death should be remembered by reference to WRB's. Other than that it's pretty good.

No, but it's obvious that the article was referencing the Herald's article after the Akl protest ride. Same quotes, similar sentences and the same mis-spelling of Zapf's name. Slightly better response from Transit, although the respondent was economical with the truth in some places and just plain wrong in others. Still, knowing what the answers are gives us ammunition later.

James Deuce
14th November 2007, 05:18
If we're allowed to use facts in reports in and around the emotive hyperbole.

I didn't see one angry person on the ride, just people wanting public consultation on an issue that needs a bit more thought than it has been given.

MSTRS
14th November 2007, 08:07
...Slightly better response from Transit, although the respondent was economical with the truth in some places and just plain wrong in others. Still, knowing what the answers are gives us ammunition later.

When up against such 'facts' as given by Mr Frost, we need to be absolutely up with the play so as to ensure that the public get the real facts, as they apply to us and as they apply to costs etc over say concrete. And we have the benefit of using the emotional argument as well...

Dodger
14th November 2007, 08:58
I've rescanned the pages here at work so the article is now clearer.
I've also included the second bike related article that was on page 9. (with a plug for TSS)

916Senna
28th November 2007, 15:12
it is interesting to note transits position that 'wire ropes were the only option on centenial highway because it was too narrow'. it was too narrow in a number of spots because they removed the passing lanes that were along the majority of it and roped them off. if they had put a space between the lanes there would have been room for a concrete barrier which is less than a metre wide at best

Lucy
4th December 2007, 14:51
it is interesting to note transits position that 'wire ropes were the only option on centenial highway because it was too narrow'. it was too narrow in a number of spots because they removed the passing lanes that were along the majority of it and roped them off. if they had put a space between the lanes there would have been room for a concrete barrier which is less than a metre wide at best

I was thinking about the "too narrow' argument when I rode down to Wellington and saw wire rope barriers on the LEFT of the road. What excuse do they use for those?