PDA

View Full Version : Womans perspective needed

ninjac
14th November 2007, 11:04
Hi Biker Angels.

EDIT: Thanks for the advise. For privacy of parties involved all posts by me are deleted.

Stickchick
14th November 2007, 11:10
To me there shouldn't be an issue at all. Unless of course the guy acts immature or something like that. I know a few people that have great relationships and the biggest gap I know is 11 years with the female being the oldest.

If you are both happy what does age matter? You are both consenting adults and looking at the ages, are in realisation that you know what you want in life

judecatmad
14th November 2007, 11:14
If you are both happy what does age matter?

+1 to that

sunhuntin
14th November 2007, 11:16
+1 to that

and another +1.

my first major relationship, i was 19. he was 54. our respective maturities, i would place somewhere in the 30s. most of time, i forgot about the age gap. when i did remember, it hit me like a ton of bricks, but faded fast. i loved, and still love, him with all my heart. but him being canadian, and me being kiwi, the distance is just too big.

since him, i have dated guys ranging in age from early 20s [my age] through to 30s or 40s. all of them were fun for a while, but in end, it was a waste of time and effort. im now "somewhere" [not sure where yet!] with a 50 something, and happier than ive been in a long time.

Joni
14th November 2007, 11:20
I agree with my fellow Biker Angels… age is only a problem if you make it one.

However, I can recall my mother and my “step father” – not sure if I can call him that seeing he was younger than me… the age was not an issue when they were young and had just met… but when she started approaching her mid to late fifties, then it became a little tougher.

I still don’t think it’s a problem though… they made it one and that’s why it fell apart.

The decision is yours.

ninjac
14th November 2007, 11:26
EDIT: Deleted for privacy reasons.

NighthawkNZ
14th November 2007, 11:27
When I was errr younger... 23ish I went out with a 40 year old lady, (was for about 3 years) ... she didn't act 40, more like a 20 and me acting like a 30 year old counter balanced it all :laugh:

I know of heaps where the guy is the younger of the two parties... ranging from 1 year to somewhere near 15...

Personally age shouldn't matter (why should it), as long as both parties are happy, love and care for each other etc etc etc, blah blah blah, rant rave...

Grahameeboy
14th November 2007, 11:30
Age is just a number................

Joni
14th November 2007, 11:33
If the male proclaims his love, but the older female can't get passed the age gap.Look at my first post - age is only an issue if one or both parties make it a problem.

It seems she has a problem with it.
Sort that out the core issue, before you start changing your living arrangements...

vifferman
14th November 2007, 11:35
My sister's married to a guy 10 or 12 years her junior, and my father-in-law is 12 years older than my mother-in-law. It's all good.

TLMAN
14th November 2007, 11:38
Id sooner have two 25 year olds than a 50 year old:rockon:

Joni
14th November 2007, 11:39
Another point, I don’t think a woman who is nearly 40 years old would appreciate her “story” being told on the internet either….

Quite a few men have done that one on KB… it immediately lands a big cross next to their name, it’s a no no in my books anyway.

judecatmad
14th November 2007, 11:41
My first 'boy'friend was 34 when I was 18 and I never saw any problem with the age gap. Some people did, but that was theirs to deal with.

However, I think what you're getting at is the female partner being older than the male partner (somehow deemed less socially acceptable in some circles, goodness knows why..).

My hubby is almost 3 years younger than me and his parents saw it as an issue in the early days because I was a lot more settled than he was. They somehow saw me as cramping his style and forcing him to grow up before he was ready.

If you are both in the same head space and want the same sorts of things out of life, the gap really should make no difference.

Anyone who has an issue with your relationship should pull their heads in and get over it - it's YOUR relationship, not theirs. If you want it to work, it will. But...if you're already questioning whether or not the gap is too large, maybe it is.....

Fatjim
14th November 2007, 11:42
Society hasn't looked down on toyboys for no reason. I just think of one except old women are wrinkly.

ninjac
14th November 2007, 11:46

ninjac
14th November 2007, 11:47

Edbear
14th November 2007, 11:53
Now you must have known that asking for a woman's perspective was going to get the attention of all the blokes and that we just can't resist commenting!:whistle:

I know a couple not a million miles from me where she is now 75 and he is 49. They have been married for 27 years and are very happy.

When he proposed she had to think about it for a long time and reckoned that the town thought she was mad at the time. I asked him if he really knew what he was doing, but he's been the best thing that could have ever happened to her and has given her the life she never had with her first husband who left with another woman, leaving her close to a nervous breakdown.

I do worry a little now that she is getting very "senior" but I also know he will never let her down and will be her husband until she dies. He has more than proved himself and everyone simply accepts them as a loving couple.

Keystone19
14th November 2007, 12:31
Apparently research shows that the most successful partnerships are between younger men and older women with a gap of ten to fifteen years. Next most successful relationships are between couples of the same age and the least successful are between older men and younger women. By successful I believe they are talking about divorce rates. Sorry, can't remember the reference - probably Readers Digest...:rolleyes:

enigma51
14th November 2007, 12:33
Apparently research shows that the most successful partnerships are between younger men and older women with a gap of ten to fifteen years.

Cause the older ladies dont need training

janno
14th November 2007, 12:39
My ex was 12 years older than me, and yes, it was a factor in our breakup. But there were a million other things wrong as well. So really, age is never the problem but it will magnify what is already missing by a large factor. Tread carefully, and if she has shown no interest in you as a potential mate, tread extra carefully. Yes, if you express your feelings and they are not returned, you will probably stuff up your living arrangements - but you won't know until you try.

And no one ever looked back on their deathbed saying "Thank god I was careful not to try anything risky . . ."

Blue Velvet
14th November 2007, 12:53
And no one ever looked back on their deathbed saying "Thank god I was careful not to try anything risky . . ."

+1

"Daddy, what does regret mean?
Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
It's better to regret something you have done,
Than to regret something you haven't done..."

Sweet Loaf
Butthole Surfers

FROSTY
14th November 2007, 17:06
I"ll second or tenth that. Worst case it doesn't work out--but at least you tried