PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha vs Honda

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 16:12
BEFORE ANTYHING: I don't want turn this into a flame thread.

I'm looking into my first bike. My thoughts were for a Honda CBR250(r,rr). Main reason being, all my vehicle experience is in cars. Currently own a 1989 Toyota Corona with a 3S-F (for you non-Toyota people 2.0L twin cam 16V carby I4). Being a Toyota enthusiast I've always had an issue with Honda's (let's not get into it). However, i have a lot of respect for their engines. Hence a Honda seemed like a good idea for the bike.

However, a close friend of mine reminded me that the 3S (hence i mentioned the engine in the Corona) was manufactured by Yamaha and at 300,000KM hasn't missed a beat - despite having me as a driver for 2 1/2 years (60,00KM of those). Which got me thinking now about a Yamaha FZR250.

Through my own research I've found:

Yamaha has more torque, same power, lower RPM
Have heard great things about the reliability of Hondas. Haven't heard about Yamaha (though own experience of their engines gives me hope)
Honda is more expensive, and more common

So long story short I'm now really confused. So help me out.

Main purposes of my bike will be:

To commute from MoTown (read Morrinsville) to Hamilton
To learn to ride on
To have fun on ( I enjoy the twisties in the car, suspect I'll be the same on a bike)
Once I have more experience, ride a little harder

Advice greatly appreciated. As I am easily confused can we just limit it to these two bikes? :) Thanks

cowboyz
14th November 2007, 16:41
A well looked after Yamaha will last longer than a poorly looked after Honda. But a well looked after Honda will outlast a poorly looked after Yamaha. Both will be awesome power and the fastest, best handling bike you have ever rideen until you ride a bigger bike or a more experienced rider passes you on the opposite machine.

Hope that helps.

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 17:14
Fair enough. I understand that any machine correctly maintained has the ability to outlast it's maintainer, but certain makes and models etc would be more susceptible to break downs etc. Basically is there much of a difference between the two. i.e I know that Toyota is more susceptible to buggered synchros in their gearboxs where Hondas are more susceptible to electronic failures.

Also at what sort of KM mark should I be looking at a trouble. Bear in mind I'm not afraid to throw duct tape and some WD-40 at it. :)

jafar
14th November 2007, 17:29
Possibly the easiest way to solve your problem is to visit your local Honda & Yamaha dealer's, The differences between the bikes isn't great but the service & backup you get from the respective dealers can vary greatly from town to town.
Sooner or later you will need parts & servicing & often it is the backup that makes the difference between one brand & another.
Both are good bikes, but as a general rule Honda bikes have a better resale value.

discotex
14th November 2007, 20:07
Some makes do have a reputation for being more reliable but as with cars you have to take it with a grain of salt. Most of it is rumor backed up by hearsay.

Blanket statments like "Honda's are better" or "Suzuki's are shit" really don't mean much to me. I'd rather pick a bike on how it rides then check the net for anything to watch out for.

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 20:34
Ok so does anyone have any experience actually riding them. I.e. have they found any problems after riding for say 30mins or 4 hours etc.

Waylander
14th November 2007, 20:43
Your first mistake is trying to compare them by cars they have a minor link to.
Bikes are not cars and the sooner you realize this the better.

James Deuce
14th November 2007, 21:07
Ok so does anyone have any experience actually riding them. I.e. have they found any problems after riding for say 30mins or 4 hours etc.

See Waylander's post.

We're none of us the same shape. I find an '04 Yamaha R6 murderously uncomfortable around town. But my 400cc Suzuki Katana is probably a tighter riding position and I have no drama with it.

You'll have to try each bike to discover ergonomic issues that may affect you. The performance differences between the Honda & the Yamaha are barely measurable, so don't go reading too much into anything your read about comparative performance between the two.

Bear in mind that bikes need a lot more TLC than cars and a lot of 250 riders aren't aware of basic maintenance requirements. I've been asked to help look at 250cc sportsbikes with a variety of people buying their first bike, and I've only ever seen one 250 that I've said, "Buy that, it's a good un."

Most 15 to 20 year old 250cc bikes are well past their use by date and need a comprehensive rebuild to get them to a level I'd consider safe.

I've ridden both too, and I really think it comes down to whichever one you are most comfortable with.

xwhatsit
14th November 2007, 21:16
CBR250 engines are the most wonderful little lumps of 250cc four-cylinders ever designed, IMHO. Very, very reliable, despite a Formula 1-style red-line (is it the highest revving road bike ever produced, or is that something else? Got to be near the top anyway).

I've never heard much about the FZR250, but you hear lots of anecdotal horror stories about the FZR400 lump. Valves/cylinder head issues especially.

The Honda would almost certainly be cheaper to get parts for. Not that you'd probably need them.

Personally I'd go with the Honda, as there seems to be far more of them kicking around and their owners love them a lot. But then again I ride a Honda (and own a Honda lawnmower :lol:) so I may not be looking at things completely square.

I hear people say the FZR250 was the most powerful/fastest of the 250 fours? I wouldn't imagine there's much in it.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt as I own/ed neither and haven't ridden a FZR.

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 21:38
Thanks to both replies.

Waylander: I understand that they're is a huge difference between a bike and a car, was mearly basing my mechanical knowledge. I wouldn't expect them to behave the same in any stretch of the term.

Jim2: I see now what you mean about the shape of the bike will be different for each person. Didn't really think too long and hard about that one, thanks for pointing that out.

Xerxes: Thanks for you point of view on the honda CBR250. I see that you still ride your 250 so I guess there has to be something in that alone.

I think I've basically gained all the info I'm going to need without actually getting on one and seeing how I feel.

Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully when my christmas bonus comes in I'll be among you riders.

xwhatsit
14th November 2007, 21:48
Xerxes: Thanks for you point of view on the honda CBR250. I see that you still ride your 250 so I guess there has to be something in that alone.

Sorry, should clear up that my bike and a CBR250 are very different animals.

Yamaha designs engines for Toyota, don't they? :laugh:

Warr
14th November 2007, 21:53
Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully when my christmas bonus comes in I'll be among you riders.
Look forward to seeing you out there soon.
A consideration that you havent mentioned is whether you are buying new or 2nd hand.
If its 2nd hand then you may find Honda bits easier to get with the likes of Ecohonda who are new/2nd hand distributor just over in TeAroha.
If its new then go with the dealer that you get the best vibe for.

If you are looking 2nd hand Roadrash (Dave) may be able to help you out for a CBR250RRRR ?? Send him a PM :)

gijoe1313
14th November 2007, 22:23
Go for a Honda Hornet and a Yamaha RZ250 ... :whistle: Heck, I did ... :lol: :msn-wink:

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 22:24
Yamaha designs engines for Toyota, don't they? :laugh:

Yeah my engine in my beloved jess is a Yamaha 3S-xx, re-branded as a Toyota 3S-F.

darkwolf
14th November 2007, 22:32
Go for a Honda Hornet and a Yamaha RZ250 ... :whistle: Heck, I did ... :lol: :msn-wink:

Yeah, not to throw mud or anything, just don't think a 2 stroke would be a good bet for me seeing as they prefer varied loads, and not a fan of the look of either the hornet or the RZ250. Though can seem to find one with fairings - only one i did find had the title "the one that put me in hospital" (kinda puts me off looking at that one)

Warr:
Am looking 2nd hand as I would feel to gutted if I binned on a new $6K+ bike. Plus I get to fiddle. Little bit of a back yard mechanic - even sleep with my car (in the garage)

lanci
15th November 2007, 12:34
I always thought that Yamaha only did design work for Toyota and even then it was only on the cylinder heads

enigma51
15th November 2007, 12:37
Well not to start a flame thread myself but its a simple question

1. I wanna be a homo like SANX on a honda
2. I wanna be a homo on a yamaha

darkwolf
15th November 2007, 14:34
I don't know as I've seen many Yamaha printed tappet covers but you might be right about it only being head work. Haven't been the best lately - stupid cold.