PDA

View Full Version : North Island accommodation recommendations please!

DougieNZ
15th November 2007, 18:46
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone could give me recommendations for motel type accomodation in the following places:

Taupo
Coromandel
Mt Maunganui
East Cape Region (somewhere between Opotiki and Gisborne)

I'm planning a trip early next year for 4-6 of us. We don't mind paying $80-130 ish for a nice place preferably with a nice view and deck/balcony if possible.

Any recommendations?

Blackbird
15th November 2007, 19:42
Hi Dougie

For Coromandel, you couldn't do better than try my neighbour up there, Gaylene Holt: holtcoro@ihug.co.nz. She has a self-contained flat in her basement with all mod cons: TV, cooker, washing machine and so on. It has fantastic views of the harbour and is close to Wyuna Bay and Long Bay, both excellent swimming beaches. Her flat sleeps 5 or 6 and I think is around $130/night all up. Pays to book well ahead in the Coro area in Jan and Feb.

Cheers

Geoff

Solarwind
15th November 2007, 19:51
Taupo has plenty of motels on the lakefront with nice views, but you'll need to book early as the town is full of tourists throughout summer. Can't recommend any in particular, but the best restaurant in town is The Brantry if that helps :)

cave weta
15th November 2007, 20:27
When you hit the Coro peninsula I can do you accom in Waihi town in a lodge that sleeps 6 for $45 pp/ night. spa, lockable garage, full kitchen, two lounges www.bularangi.comIt is owned by bike fanatics who rent out Harleys too!

shafty
16th November 2007, 00:09
PM sent........

MaxB
16th November 2007, 00:31
For a traditional kiwi holiday we use

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/

If you plan to go over Xmas most of the Coro places are getting pretty full right now.

tri boy
16th November 2007, 06:21
Anchor Lodge in Coro Town is a good place. About $120/night, and is in walking distance to Cafes and Pubs.:niceone:

DougieNZ
17th November 2007, 12:20
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Keep them coming!