PDA

View Full Version : East Cape. Anybody rode it? Why not as popular as Coro?

McDuck
15th November 2007, 21:41
Well who here has done it and what do you think? I recon it should be about as good as the coro loop, what do you guys think?

jrandom
15th November 2007, 22:01
The BoP guys seem to do it reasonably often, but it's a bit of a long ride from Auckland for a day trip.

McDuck
15th November 2007, 22:04
lol harden up ;)

Zukin
15th November 2007, 22:48
It is brilliant :niceone:

Just a long way between stops, and there are usually roadworks, and there aren't a lot of fuel stops, so expect to pay over $2 a litre at the Cape :pinch:
Do it from Opotiki to Gisborne, it is much more scenic :niceone:

Cheers

McDuck
15th November 2007, 22:49
well from where i am i can do the loop going that way...

MaxB
16th November 2007, 00:10
FWIW some comments on the Cape I made on the SCRR.

As for Coro and its popularity. It is on Auckland's doorstep for one. Same for riders from the Waikato/BOP. Heaps of facilities eg food, drink and fuel within easy reach.

East Cape is a lot wilder, the road surface is not so great but I prefer it to the Coro loop. YMMV.

Kendog
16th November 2007, 05:12
If you have the chance to do the Cape, go for it, you will not regret it.

Clockwise is best, roads are great (bit of road works after Hicks Bay, but not too bad). Then the Waioweke (sp) George (Gisborne to Opotoki ) at the end, that is one of my favorite rides.

cowboy
16th November 2007, 05:59
I rode the cape last xmas & planning to do it again this xmas.
The roads were good & the scenery is awesome:niceone:
The only problem is long way between fuel stops & there are shit lodes of "BEE HIVES" close to the road & I got stung on the neck:cry:

Blackbird
16th November 2007, 06:09
It's absolutely spectacular but a bit more isolated. Going all the way round a week on Saturday/Sun/Mon with some fellow KB'ers as a matter of fact:yes:

BarBender
16th November 2007, 06:59
Well who here has done it and what do you think? I recon it should be about as good as the coro loop, what do you guys think?

Take your time and avoid riding it alone....

...you're a long way from help if you bin. Cell phone coverage isnt great and non existent in some areas. Be prepared and take a puncture kit and first aid kit with you because Westpac dont have a helicopter down there. Furthermore, get an AA membership or similar... there are no towies bewteen Opotiki and Gizzy so be prepared to wait a couple of hours for a tow...maybe a little longer in the weekends.

...Its a great piece of road but there are a few stretches through the Waioeka and the run to Te Araroa that will catch out the inexperienced.

PM Clivoris, Tonka and Matt Bleck. They're locals and know the roads well.

yungatart
16th November 2007, 07:00
It is beautiful, but isolated.
Its a long way between fuel stops and as Zukin said gas can be expensive.
I'm glad its not as popular as Coro loop...it would ruin it.

BarBender
16th November 2007, 07:19
I'm glad its not as popular as Coro loop...it would ruin it.

+1
Delete this thread now.

MSTRS
16th November 2007, 08:19
I heard that missionaries still go missing quite regularly up there...
Never heard of bikers not enjoying the place tho. It is nirvana.
Just make sure the weather is right too, cos it can be very different from one side to the other which it was the one time I've done it.

robertydog
16th November 2007, 08:21
I did the coromandal loop and the following day went around the east cape. They are both spectacular in there own way. But i really thought the east cape was awesome.

Trudes
16th November 2007, 09:22
Watch for stock roaming the roads too, the whole place is a paddock for the local's animals as fences are an evil invention of the white man. Nah I'm just being a moo, the locals are generally pretty friendly, they like to wave, often with both hands.

pritch
16th November 2007, 12:45
Some good advice in this thread and a search should reveal more.

I've been around the cape twice and think Auckland-Gisborne-Auckland would ruin a good ride.

Last time I did it I left Gisborne late(ish) afternoon and headed back up the Waioeka Gorge. Showers had turned into pissing rain of biblical flood proportions. I'd had all the fun I could handle and still had hours of riding to go, and then there were miles and miles of roadworks.

Next time I'd like to take longer and stay overnight somewhere like Hicks bay or Te Araroa to take a closer look. But then I'm old.

Mental Trousers
16th November 2007, 12:54
Furthermore, get an AA membership or similar... there are no towies bewteen Opotiki and Gizzy so be prepared to wait a couple of hours for a tow...maybe a little longer in the weekends.

AA won't do anything if you're on a bike. Honda Riders Club are a much better bet.

Bonez
18th November 2007, 09:20
It is brilliant :niceone:

Just a long way between stopsThere's a dairy (and I do mean a dairy-no other stores in site), sorry can't remember the name of the place as I was toodling along quite rapidly, north of Gissy. And a servo a fare way east of Opotiki, a fare bit west of Te Kaha. Met a few gents visiting locals on the walk up to the lighthouse. Apperently the rellys had just had power put on ;).

Mind you if you're on a GB400 fuel stops are a non-issue for a bit. Went out to the tip on the last trip I did. If your worried about fuel carry a 4ltr container, just in case. If you're that worried have a support vehical tag along........

Contry to popular belief the locals are freindly and you wont end up in a pot with the puha.

banditrider
18th November 2007, 10:30
The pumps are gone from Hick's Bay but there are some at Te Araroa which is about half way. Watch out for emus: http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2007/06/great-rides-east-cape.html

Blackbird
18th November 2007, 13:16
Anyone know whether the pumps are still at Waihou Bay? I know they were there for the Southern Cross in 2005.

McDuck
18th November 2007, 13:24
I dont know. I guess the bottel of gass could be the trick....

BarBender
18th November 2007, 20:36
Anyone know whether the pumps are still at Waihou Bay?

Still there.
91 only and they take eftpos.

McDuck
18th November 2007, 21:08
Some octane booster for the newer bikes then?

Blackbird
19th November 2007, 09:18
Still there.

Many thanks, will be passing through on Sunday. 91 is fine for the 'bird.

Tonka
25th November 2007, 08:40
It sure is a great ride McDuck, PM me if you are keen to do a run. Myself and a few others do the roads frequently. Either quick trips from Whakatane out to Te Kaha or Te Araroa or to Gizzy for lunch.

Just a word of warning though to those heading through over the next few weeks - Fulton Hogan normally do Pre-summer road works around the cape so watch out for new seal. Not all the road are swept either after road markings are down so be alert....and some have been known not to be signed.

Just did a run through to the Waioeka Gorge to Matawai on Friday (23/11)and there are road works - lots of new seal.

Matt Bleck
26th November 2007, 15:50
I prefer the east cape to the coro loop, less traffic and you rarley see the the fuss out and about.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
26th November 2007, 16:00

FAR BETTER than Coro loop - done the east cape loop many times - never get sick of it - love it.

I was not impressed with the Coro loop - mind you I rode it during the xmas period. Still over-rated tho. Too many cages

Blackbird
26th November 2007, 16:19
Coro Loop is great if you exclude riding it at weekends, I do it a fair bit in the week. However, some other KB'ers and I got back a couple of hours ago from doing East Cape - 3 Blackbirds, 1 Honda X11 and a V-Strom. Met up with some of the Auckland boys and one from Wellington in Rotorua Sat lunchtime, and went to Ohope via Murapara and Matahina. Only hit rain in the last few k's. Yesterday, we went round the Cape from Ohope to Gisborne. It was absolutely breathtaking and the roads were excellent with only a few minor spots of poor road surface. This morning, it was back through the Waioeka Gorge. There was one stretch of about 1/2 km of metal, but easy to ride through. However, until about 3/4 through the Gorge, there were numerous road works and loose metal which meant that it was hard to get a roll on. However, after that....:innocent:

One of the Auckland contingent called it "Coromandel on Steroids". An apt description:rockon:

BarBender
26th November 2007, 16:32
I prefer the east cape to the coro loop, less traffic and you rarley see the the fuss out and about.

Im with you Uncle.
Too many cages, too many :Police:'s and....worst of all.........

...too many bikes.

McDuck
26th November 2007, 21:38
I guess i will have to fit it in somwhere :)

Tonka
26th November 2007, 22:28
One of the Auckland contingent called it "Coromandel on Steroids". An apt description:rockon:

Yep...thats the Cape in a nutshell!!

Timber020
16th December 2007, 00:28
Im looking at picking up a new bike in Whakatane and heading back to wellington via the cape. Sounds like a fun trip, I guess just dont hit a cow, man.

my only concern is its a bike I dont know and i wont be able to carry much kit with me, and I will to the trip based on what the weathers doing, (gotten over riding unknown roads in the wet for days at a time) so booking accom will be tricky.

McDuck
16th December 2007, 07:05
What bike?

Timber020
16th December 2007, 19:21
Gsxr thou.

McDuck
16th December 2007, 21:54
Would you like me to tag along? I will give you the lern in the uba 250 of doom ;)

Timber020
19th December 2007, 10:29
yeah could do, nothings 100% decided yet! You done the trip a few times?

McDuck
19th December 2007, 14:28
yeah could do, nothings 100% decided yet! You done the trip a few times?

Na :)......

Taz
19th December 2007, 14:49
I love the east cape. It is a bit far for a day trip but then an overnight trip is better. Just try not to stop at ruatoria - That is the pimple on the arsehole of the cape and is populated by arseholes too. Luckily the main road by passes this ethnic village and you only need to stop there if you want to pay 50c a litre more for gas while feeling threatened by 10 year olds.

Matt Bleck
19th December 2007, 17:16
I love the east cape. It is a bit far for a day trip but then an overnight trip is better. Just try not to stop at ruatoria - That is the pimple on the arsehole of the cape and is populated by arseholes too. Luckily the main road by passes this ethnic village and you only need to stop there if you want to pay 50c a litre more for gas while feeling threatened by 10 year olds.
LMAO, I've worked at the Pub there a couple of times, Scribbleface's every where, riding their horse's, burning down the police and fire stations among other place's. Some dude had his head chopped off there too once from what i remember.... ahhhh good ole ruatoria.... don't stop there if ya can help it! :laugh:

Blackbird
19th December 2007, 19:14
For anyone who hasn't been round yet, have a look at these photos posted by Freebird: http://picasaweb.google.com/daveyup/EastCape. Freebird, Hammer, JimmyB, Bykey Cop and I went round 3 weekends ago in perfect conditions. The coast road is magic but the Waioeka gorge was a bit of a mess from about 30 km south of Opotiki and you needed to take a bit of care what with pea gravel and shiny tar.

robertydog
19th December 2007, 20:03
For anyone who hasn't been round yet, have a look at these photos posted by Freebird: http://picasaweb.google.com/daveyup/EastCape. Freebird, Hammer, JimmyB, Bykey Cop and I went round 3 weekends ago in perfect conditions. The coast road is magic but the Waieka gorge was a bit of a mess from about 30 km south of Opotiki and you needed to take a bit of care what with pea gravel and shiny tar.

Carnalee and myself went round last week. Napier, Gisborne, Opotiki, East Cape, Gisborne. Napier. 972km

At that time the gorge was clear of any loose pea metal. But there was some pea metal in some places coming down from Te Puis springs area. Beaps of signs out warning off bumpy roads.

Matt Bleck
19th December 2007, 20:13
For anyone who hasn't been round yet, have a look at these photos posted by Freebird: http://picasaweb.google.com/daveyup/EastCape. Freebird, Hammer, JimmyB, Bykey Cop and I went round 3 weekends ago in perfect conditions. The coast road is magic but the Waieka gorge was a bit of a mess from about 30 km south of Opotiki and you needed to take a bit of care what with pea gravel and shiny tar.
Some great photo's there, was the Tologa Bay wharf open?

I see you guys stayed at the Waikanae Beachfront Campgrounds, love it there and not to expensive either.

Blackbird
19th December 2007, 20:46
Some great photo's there, was the Tologa Bay wharf open?

I see you guys stayed at the Waikanae Beachfront Campgrounds, love it there and not to expensive either.

Cheers, it was a simply awesome weekend. Freebird from Wellington stayed with me in Tokoroa on the Friday night and we met our Auckland riding partners in Rotorua. I took them via Murapara and Matahina Dam for a nice diversion and we stayed in the Ohope Top 10 the first night. On day 2, round to Gisborne and yes, the jetty was open as people were walking on it, but it was too hot to contemplate in riding gear! Have stayed at Waikanae motor camp several times and it's great. You can book on line now. We just had a leisurely ride home through the Gorge on Monday morning whilst Freebird went back to Wellington. We could have shortened the whole trip but none of the others had ridden round that way before so it was a good opportunity for sightseeing too.

clint640
20th December 2007, 09:45
Rosie & I are heading out around the cape from Whakatane on Saturday, we'll probably camp at Te Araroa Sat night, so if anybody else is out there & ya see a big orange KTM & a lil' black Sherpa, do say hi :)

Clint

Timber020
20th December 2007, 20:45
whats the gorge road to gisbourne like compared to the cape? (aside from it being shorter) heavier in traffic or cops? Road quality?

robertydog
20th December 2007, 20:56
whats the gorge road to gisbourne like compared to the cape? (aside from it being shorter) heavier in traffic or cops? Road quality?

Went thru on the 10th. Saw a plod on the gisborne side in a nice silver comodore. Road condition was good but there were roading guys working thru there but nothing major. Traffic wasnt a problem at the time we went thru. More traffic from Opotiki to Te kaha then filters right out to nothiing towards the cape. Traffic will be quiet untill you get to around Tolaga Bay when it starts to build up again and the its all on going in to Gisborne. There was some pea metal in some places coming down from Te Puis springs area. Heaps of signs out warning of bumpy roads.

Timber020
20th December 2007, 23:03
Hey thanks for that. So is the Cape trip much better than doing the gorge? Are the extra miles worth it? Im just keeping my route plan open incase things come up. (picking up a new bike without a real test can make one nervous about ending up in the middle of nowhere or doing the trip on a seat which feels like its killing you from the ass up.)Im keen to do the cape but would like an idea what the gorge is like in comparison.
I really appreciate your input, I just dont know the roads!

Trudes
21st December 2007, 05:49
The cape is well worth the extra kms IMHO, the gorge is great too, if you're just planning on getting there or getting the hell out of there, but the cape really is something else. If you can spare the time, do the cape.

Kendog
21st December 2007, 07:33
Personally I like the gorge more, and for me the clockwise direction is best i.e. Gisborne to Opotiki then Opotiki to Gisborne round the cape.

If you are riding from the Opotiki side to Gisborne then I recommend going round the cape.

Either way they are great bike roads.

Also, I would check the road conditions following last nights earth quake. I heard something about massive slips in the gorge (could be wrong about that)

McDuck
21st December 2007, 12:56
Hey thanks for that. So is the Cape trip much better than doing the gorge? Are the extra miles worth it? Im just keeping my route plan open incase things come up. (picking up a new bike without a real test can make one nervous about ending up in the middle of nowhere or doing the trip on a seat which feels like its killing you from the ass up.)Im keen to do the cape but would like an idea what the gorge is like in comparison.
I really appreciate your input, I just dont know the roads!

Would you like me to test it for you? :love:

Timber020
21st December 2007, 20:53
Would you like me to test it for you? :love:

Sure! Hey you could do the whole thing and I could do it vicariously through you. At least scape off the bugs and send them to me.
Recently (as of yesterday) my accountant told me the tax department wants a big chunk of my GSXR money. Crap! Hoping to be able to do it but its going to be tight without sell my fireblade!

Heres hoping for a xmas miracle

Frodo
6th January 2008, 06:05
[Waihau Bay pumps] Still there.

Just passed through a couple of days ago. Most of the remote settlements have 91 only if they have fuel (e.g. Omaio and Te Araroa). However, Waihau Bay definitely had both 91 and 95.

Cheers

Firefight
6th January 2008, 06:31
lots to see, watch your fuel managment or end up like this guy !

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=35467..

F/F

Hanne
13th January 2008, 19:36
Just came back up the cape from Gisborne last week, it was absolutely beautiful. There were a few spots where the road wasn't top notch but most of them were well signposted. We actually went Gizzy to Mt Maunganui in one day (with stops at Tologa Bay, Hicks Bay, Opotiki), but if I were to do it again I think I would stop partway and dod an overnighter, if only because there is so much to see and when you stop you can actually explore it in a more tactile way. Completely manageable as a one bite trip though, no worries. Glad I went!

PS if you are nto sure, check with an information centre or similar BEFORE you leave as to where the gas statiosn are :P As mentioned, they are not necessarily in the most signposted of towns (as in sometimes they are not even on the map)

cowboyz
13th January 2008, 20:23
AA won't do anything if you're on a bike. Honda Riders Club are a much better bet.
and as a added bonus you dont have to pay for your meals.......

. Heaps of signs out warning of bumpy roads.

The Ashhurst boys rode it on the 4 points rally. It was great. Scenery is fantastic and the road just flows. Interesting when you come up to a sign that says "uneven surface" and come round a corner to find no road there. As a comparision we went up round northland and where you see the same sign it means they put an extra layer of paint on the road.
You really get the feeling that you cant get any further away from civilization round the cape. I run low on fuel and found a little bowswer on the side of the road. They must have seen me coming cause it cost me near $40 to fill a gsx600F! I was too scared to check what the per litre price was back then.
Great fun though.

Laava
11th March 2008, 21:55
Cargo and I are doing this trip clockwise over easter staying the 21st in Hicks bay. Anyone else in the area at that time wanting someone to ride with or help etc let me know.:yes: