PDA

View Full Version : Rimutaka Hill (google earth)

mattathm
15th November 2007, 22:15
Heres a shot from google earth, for those of you that dont have it.

Grub
15th November 2007, 22:44
Good Fun ... and here's some important information on it :innocent:

Manxman
27th December 2007, 20:08
Good Fun ... and here's some important information on it :innocent:

...that's only a handful of corners before where I nearly lost mine on Boxing Day. Sh*t weather...just started really raining hard...

Is the Hill normally this bad (I only go over a few times a year)???

Had to ride like a complete beginner, and needless to say didn't go anywhere near the front brake!!:blink:

Grub
27th December 2007, 20:14
...Is the Hill normally this bad (I only go over a few times a year)???

Well it's always ... umm ... interesting. Mine was on a dry day and too much back brake combined with the subsidence just at the tip-in point.

What happened to you on Boxing Day? Ice, hail?

Ronin
27th December 2007, 20:18
If you look at the summit cafe, the black line on the left of the car park isn't a fence. It's bikes parked up

Usarka
27th December 2007, 20:19
All these crashes?

BAN THE HILL!

Manxman
27th December 2007, 20:32
Well it's always ... umm ... interesting. Mine was on a dry day and too much back brake combined with the subsidence just at the tip-in point.

What happened to you on Boxing Day? Ice, hail?

...not entirely sure actually. It had been raining for about 1/2 hour before, plus my tyres are reasonably worn (and more designed for trackdays, methinks), plus the handling isn't exactly inspiring right now (I noticed your recent post about changing your suspension settings, so might tap into your knowledge on that at some point, if you don't mind), but not sure if the handling is tyre related or suspension...or a bit of both??

Getting back to the point: on the second corner after the summit and going down toward Featherston, the back end slipped out about 8.735 inches (I know this because that's about how much my butt cheeks tightened...:lol:).

After that and couple of smaller 'moments', I proceeded down the hill v e r y slowly, trying to keep it as upright as possible, and feeling like a complete loser.

Once in Featherston, things got better and no more dramas (apart from a leaking jacket, and regret that I didn't put a request for rubber underpants on my Christmas list).