PDA

View Full Version : bike awareness tv ad

georgedubyabush
31st July 2003, 20:37
Was watching Sky News Australia on digital today when a biker awareness advert came on.

It was aimed at the cage drivers, along the lines of 'watch for bikes so you dont kill them, or at least kill less of them'. Was fronted by whatshisface aussie bike racing legend.

Maybe a portion of our excessive acc levy should go towards something similar over here? i'd say a few more motorcyclists are killed/injured by cages in a year than drunk people cooking eggs or housewives nosediving through glass coffee tables?

bikerboy
31st July 2003, 20:48
How true .:(

wkid_one
31st July 2003, 21:27
come on george - surely all of us know someone who has slipped and broken their neck getting out of the shower?

It comes back to my previous point - we often have accidents as a result of other drivers (car) due to our margin for error being less - yet we foot the ACC bill.

Marmoot
31st July 2003, 22:38
There is a sign in one of Hamilton's bride saying "Watch out for motorcycles"
I kid you not.....it is a heaven to my weary eyes.

Anyway, Wises map's rear page also have an advertisement of a brick wall with BMW front grille, saying something like "this is what a motorcyclist feel when you bump into them" or something.

I hope more of them will come out.

But, hey, most of the ones crashing into bikes don't care about those advertisements in the first place anyway. eh?

Big Dog
31st July 2003, 23:32
Although I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments of this thread...... it is ultimately our responsibility to widen our margins of error as much as possibility. Or at least limit our recklessness to our own ability. I have no sypathy for those I see pushing the boundries in heavy traffic.:o

bikerboy
1st August 2003, 10:58
I agree we suffer the tarnish of a few giving bikers a generally negative image, however the principle of increasing our margins of safety can only go so far before we're faced with not riding at all because of others actions.

The most highly skilled, cautious rider has no chance if a driver does something unexpected at the right (wrong)time. Going so slowly as to be able to stop in a few feet isn't going to help if the cars coming straight at you and there's no where to go.

I once read if your in a car accident the safest position is to be in the fastest, heaviest, biggest vehicle involved in the crash. The worst is to be in the slowest, smallest, lightest vehicle. Where do we fit in that equation? One can only do so much before physics takes over.

:done:

Marmoot
1st August 2003, 22:20
In the end, riding a bike is just a decision to accept the risk and manage it properly to MINIMIZE it. Right?

I mean, it is impossible to ride without the risk, so we just minimize it.

Including wearing leathers and helmet.

AND including educating those around us to recognize how much danger potential they have against us.

Slim
2nd August 2003, 00:13
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
Maybe a portion of our excessive acc levy should go towards something similar over here? i'd say a few more motorcyclists are killed/injured by cages in a year than drunk people cooking eggs or housewives nosediving through glass coffee tables?
You're kidding, right?!?!? That'd be like expecting the government to use the taxes generated by petrol/diesel sales for actually improving the roads! :gob:

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any statistics to prove your feelings about the causes of some motorcycle accidents. This, and our ACC levies too, could all be sorted out if only the LTSA/ACC would attribute blame and lump all the costs from each accident under the column for whichever road user caused the accident. Too much to hope for, I'm afraid. :(

Originally posted by Marmoot
There is a sign in one of Hamilton's bride saying "Watch out for motorcycles". I kid you not.....it is a heaven to my weary eyes.
There's heaps of them round Hamilton - I can think of 5 locations off the top of my head. :D They're a decent size, they're mostly red and they've been there for months & months. I must get around to taking a piccie of one of them. :)

georgedubyabush
2nd August 2003, 22:23
so, why Australia?

Is it a case of the government being proactive and 'friendly' to motorcyclists?

Is it a stronger, or at least a far bigger group of motorcyclists able to lobby the governmnent and actually see results? They have some sort of organisation specifically for this dont they?

Big Dog
3rd August 2003, 17:52
In the end, riding a bike is just a decision to accept the risk and manage it properly to MINIMIZE it. Right?

AND including educating those around us to recognize how much danger potential they have against us.

Totally agree go hard or go home. While not a total adreniline junky thats part of the buzz.

I am sick of Dickheads spoiling it for the rest of us. Stoppies in heavy traffic, in the rain should be kept for emergency situations not causing them.

Big Dog
3rd August 2003, 17:53

Totally agree go hard or go home. While not a total adreniline junky thats part of the buzz.

I am sick of Dickheads spoiling it for the rest of us. Stoppies in heavy traffic, in the rain should be kept for emergency situations not causing them.:bash: :brick: