PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed in you lot!

Bass
20th November 2007, 19:53
On Saturday I rode down to Ducatijim's place at Reporoa. As some of you know, we are planning a little dirt bashing in Oz next year - like about 18,000 km of it. So there is a fair bit of planning and organising to do. The list is long, but getting shorter.
Anyway, just for a change, I took the direct route - like Pukekohe (Mr Motorcycles for a new Tour-X Arai helmet and some body armour), Kopu, Hikuai, Whangamata, Waihi, Paeroa, Te Aroha, Tauranga (via Kaimais), Rotorua (via Pye's Pa) and on to Reporoa. Very pleasant it was too, since last Saturday was pretty much motorcycling ideal up this way - except for one thing.
I headed into Whangamata expecting the lunch hangouts to be full of bikers and looking forward to a brief bullshit session. I mean, after all, this was lunchtime on a glorious biker's Saturday on the Coromandel. How could Whangamata not be teeming with bikes? Anything else would be sacrilege and a huge break with tradition.
As I rode down the main street, I saw one bike. It was a Triumph and I was riding it. I saw one other Biker - a lady Ulyssian that I know - and she was walking.

For pity's sake people - get your act together. You are letting the side down. Even worse, the locals will start to relax!!

As a complete aside, I spent Sunday afternoon driving a bale wrapper. I had driven the rake and baler before, but never the wrapper. Fun actually. New skills and a new challenge.
I left for home about 6.30 pm and was pushing it along just a little. I was keen to get home as I hadn't eaten anything much since about 7 am. It was not to be a quick run however.
From Matamata to Mangatawhiri, the insects were unbelievable - way worse than anything I have ever seen (or in this case not seen) before. The noise was like gentle constant rain on my visor and helmet and obviously my vision was progressively more and more obscured. I had no water with me. I dared not wipe my visor as that would only make it worse. If I raised my visor, my glasses would soon be in the same condition and if I took my glasses off, I couldn't see for insects in my eyes. There are now no servo's between Matamata and Maramarua and so I just pushed on.
I made it home OK, but the trip was less than ideal and more stressful than I wanted. Obviously I had other options but I chose to push on. When I arrived, my visor was almost completely obscured. My fluoro vest looked like a fur coat and my riding boots looked like they were made from black suede.
Just wondering if anyone else has struck it that bad and if anyone knows why the little buggers were that prolific on one night?

Donor
20th November 2007, 20:45
I am solely to blame.

I apologise, and will of course tender my resignation as a biker forthwith.

Oh the shame... :(

Bass
21st November 2007, 07:21
I am solely to blame.

I apologise, and will of course tender my resignation as a biker forthwith.

Oh the shame... :(

Well you ride a cruiser now and in law at least, temporary insanity appears to be an excuse. So I guess you have an out.:whistle:

nodrog
21st November 2007, 07:42
everytime i go through matamata at night, i always get hammered by those insects, they seem to be there all there time, and they make a farkin mess alright!

banditrider
21st November 2007, 19:17
I've definitely experienced it raining bugs. Piccy below was just one little ride on a summer's night. Have had it worse than that and can relate to the furry boots & jacket etc.

Maha
21st November 2007, 19:26
Just wondering if anyone else has struck it that bad and if anyone knows why the little buggers were that prolific on one night?

Qkchk has a swarming story about bees.....:cool:
Thats a great write up Neil

everytime i go through matamata at night, i always get hammered by those insects, they seem to be there all there time, and they make a farkin mess alright!

Hanging around on the corner by Subway?...what do you expect?

Toaster
21st November 2007, 20:27
I've definitely experienced it raining bugs. Piccy below was just one little ride on a summer's night. Have had it worse than that and can relate to the furry boots & jacket etc.

I am kinda glad to see others have the bug problem.... I live rural and summer is a bitch when it comes to bug strike. The bike, gear and helmet end up looking like a fresh meat buffet by the time I get home.

yod
21st November 2007, 20:29
we were out riding almost all sunday and there were bikes all over the place.....

ynot slow
21st November 2007, 20:59
Went on a 30km or so return loop run on sunday and saw about 8-12 bikes on surf highway,came back for coffee and burger at local cafe and was about 10 bikes parked,some going clockwise others anti around the mountain from New Plymouth.

carver
21st November 2007, 21:06
i did walton to hamilton on monday night, i had so many midges on my helmet it was hard to see.
the mormon few will make you proud-we ride alot, usually to the tune of "most bins wins"

yod
21st November 2007, 21:07
and are you 'winning'?

carver
21st November 2007, 21:27
and are you 'winning'?

not recently, the NXR kept me well ahead of the rest of the crew, but its gone now!
trials was a cool way to win!

Bass
22nd November 2007, 07:33

Yep, you've got it.
I did about about 125 km in those conditions. The bug density on my visor would have been AT LEAST 4 times that shown in your photos (no exaggeration honestly). I mean, your visor getting pretty buggered is commonplace and I run that route in the evening regularly, but I have never struck conditions like that.

lemure
22nd November 2007, 12:23

That is NOT a good look for a Shoei helmet - well, for any helmet really. But you can always tell sneaky things, they come from your blind spot. How did you manage to get them on the back of your helmet? Did the vacuum suck them in, or were you wearing it backwards?
:yes:

damo
22nd November 2007, 15:12
hahaha yeah I rode from Tauranga back to auckland on sunday afternoon, now my Jacket looks like a warzone..littered with the smeared carcasses of unknown flying insects (and maybe a couple that just jump really high).. Helmet looks like it was "bearded"

Maha
22nd November 2007, 15:24
Yep, you've got it.
I did about about 125 km in those conditions. The bug density on my visor would have been AT LEAST 4 times that shown in your photos (no exaggeration honestly). I mean, your visor getting pretty buggered is commonplace and I run that route in the evening regularly, but I have never struck conditions like that.

Nows your chance to invent something Neil....ya know, like those clear tear off visor strips the real men use...:chase:
Or do what i do....carry bug spray, no no, better yet, some wire (go with me on this one) and two of those sticky insect strips, damn all my secrets are out...:(

Krusti
22nd November 2007, 15:32
Forget the bugs, hit a swarm of bloody beetles up by Kawakawa couple of weeks ago. Dikadikadikadika....:mad:

At least they came off worse than me...:banana:

gijoe1313
22nd November 2007, 17:26
Heh, when I rode back from Toe-ranges from visiting DMNTD and Unit monday night, I struck them going out from the kaimais ... not in the density you mentioned but got to the point where I was varying my visor angle to "evenly" cover it with bug bodies :eek5:

Never mind, nothing a good wash and wipe can't fix?

McDuck
22nd November 2007, 22:22
Lol i have had it almost that bad form riding around here at dusk. Good fun.

What?
23rd November 2007, 07:28
I'm disappointed in you lot!

I'm disappointed in me, too.
Sorry.

Bass
23rd November 2007, 07:44
Nows your chance to invent something Neil....ya know, like those clear tear off visor strips the real men use:(

Mate,
When I tear one off, the Triumph doesn't get a look in, although I may be wearing my helmet.

Oh and bugs definitely aren't a problem.

jafar
2nd December 2007, 15:46
Mate,
When I tear one off, the Triumph doesn't get a look in, although I may be wearing my helmet.

Oh and bugs definitely aren't a problem.

:sick: Gassing :clap:

The Pastor
2nd December 2007, 18:09
i get assulted by bugs every single time i go out of auckland.

Every time

cycletreads sell a small container of window washer in a spray bottle with a sponge and a wiper thing on it for 11 bux. worth it in my case. Fits in the pocket. Refills are free at petrol stations.