PDA

View Full Version : Learner LIcence and the fun penalties

DarkDream
28th October 2004, 10:50
Right after ten long years of the stunning learner licence I have decided to pursue the elusive restricted.

Just a few points to note for those on the learners, which I have (hmm) adhered to

No pillion passengers
only 70km's on the open road or motorway
must have L-plate on the back

Now if you exceed speed limit by 50km's it's a $630 fine, so if you do 121km's you get your licence taken off you etc.

No L-Plate, driving during 10pm and 5amis something like $400 and 25 demerit points.

This is insane? But the good part is still to come...once you get your restricted your exactly that.....restricted!!! :doh:

For anyone who rides a on the KB rides, perhaps previewing this link will be a bit of shock!

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html#penalties

Oh yeah and the cost is a great $88!!! Fun stuff....

Hitcher
28th October 2004, 11:28
And your point exactly is??

Check out the Competency-based full class 6 license programme so that you can minimise your restricted period -- if you're over 25 and you can afford it/be bothered.

NC
28th October 2004, 11:33
I think it's unfair, cause you get those kids on a restricted car licence and they have cars with frikken 500BHP and know idea how to friggen drive the things.
I think they should have the same rule applyed to cage drivers

StoneChucker
28th October 2004, 11:36
Hitcher is on to it, and luckily so was I. The CBTA (competency based) is a great course, I only did the final stage, but was well worth it. A little expensive, but good.

Oh yeah, the chance of you being pulled over is directly proportional to how much you're doing wrong. I never got pulled over, not even once on my 250. But, that was because I never did anything wrong :)

Have no Wof, no rego, out past 10pm, speeding, carrying a pillion, riding bigger than a 250??? You're gonna get caught at the end of your driveway!

k14
28th October 2004, 11:42
Yeah, don't quite see what you are getting at. I knew all the restrictions when I had my learners, and know them all now that I am on my restricted. The only restrictions I have broken occastionally is the 10pm curfew, I've ridden later than that a couple of times. Oh and on sunday, I "accidentally" broke the 250cc restriction :)

NC
28th October 2004, 11:45
Have no Wof, no rego, out past 10pm, speeding, carrying a pillion, riding bigger than a 250??? You're gonna get caught at the end of your driveway!

I beg to differ, Sir. :shifty:

dhunt
28th October 2004, 11:49
One of my mates theories was "try and break only one law at a time" that way you're less likely to get pulled up. Eg. Riding after 10 on Learners - then don't speed. ...

gamgee
28th October 2004, 11:51
oops, um, I've only had a bike for a few weeks (had my full car licence for about 3 years) and I've already broken most of the conditions - lol, here we go
No L plates
Over 70kmh (come on... I had to test the bike to check it could get up to 110)
after 10pm
what else, um the only ones I haven't broken are over 250cc (mainly cause dad hasn't got his cb500 yet) and the pillion passengers one, if i wanted to take passengers i'd probably take the car...

DarkDream
28th October 2004, 11:51
Yeah, don't quite see what you are getting at. I knew all the restrictions when I had my learners, and know them all now that I am on my restricted. The only restrictions I have broken occastionally is the 10pm curfew, I've ridden later than that a couple of times. Oh and on sunday, I "accidentally" broke the 250cc restriction :)

Not so much of a point as a rant, obviously completly unaware as I've been sitting on the licence for sooooooooo long. Besides I figured its a good hihglight it for other learner riders.

Hit restricted in a couple of weeks and then will more than likely look into the CBTA compentency course for full licence.

Any views on this course, from people who have already tried it. Did it improve your awareness and riding ability?

Hitcher
28th October 2004, 11:58
Any views on this course, from people who have already tried it. Did it improve your awareness and riding ability?
Yes and yes. We did ours in Wellington almost exactly a year ago with Andrew and Lynne Templeton from Roadsafe. Highly recommended!

In fact I'm on the prowl for another advanced skills course as a way of keeping the ol' axe sharp, if anybody has any recommendations?

Posh Tourer :P
28th October 2004, 12:06
Not so much of a point as a rant, obviously completly unaware as I've been sitting on the licence for sooooooooo long. Besides I figured its a good hihglight it for other learner riders.

Wha??

You didnt realise what your restrictions were? or you didnt realise how much it costs to get a licence? Or you didnt realise there was another stage?

For cost, try going to Germany - $2000 to get a licence (when you are old enough (18??) and its a comprehensive, week-long or so test....

Warren
28th October 2004, 12:48
The rules for restricted are almost the same for the lerners. You have to wait 9 months (?) after getting your restricted to get your full.

I would get a restricted if I wanted a bigger bike and restricted allowed up to 400cc or something, but the terms are the same as the learners.

Since it is such a long wait there has never been an incentive for me to advance to the restricted license.

gamgee
28th October 2004, 13:23
your still only supposed to ride a 250 on your restricted, only difference is you won't get in trouble for not sporting those stylish L(oser) plates

rodgerd
28th October 2004, 13:53
I think it's unfair, cause you get those kids on a restricted car licence and they have cars with frikken 500BHP and know idea how to friggen drive the things.
I think they should have the same rule applyed to cage drivers
I think it's a sensible set of rstrictions, but you're right that it's stupid that people on a learner/restricted car can drive an Impreza STi or a Landcruiser.

Ms Piggy
28th October 2004, 14:10
your still only supposed to ride a 250 on your restricted, only difference is you won't get in trouble for not sporting those stylish L(oser) plates
I don't see really what the BIG drama is about wearing an L plate. I'd much rather wear one than end up with a HUGE fine for that & speeding.

I ride with my L plate (ok, ok so a couple of times it's ahhh, well, errr...."fallen off") but these rules are there for a reason, not everyone that gets their Learners License has been riding bikes for years on end - I am an example of that.

I've had my Learners for almost 11 months now and plan on getting my restricted in my summer break when I have the $88- :ride:

I've never adherred to the 70kms/hr rule b/c (IMO) it's just dangerous but, again it is there for a reason - I have ridden with a Learner rider friend a couple of times at 70kms and it was more scary to have cars whistling by me at 80+kms than riding at 100kms like the rest of the traffic. I've also ridden at 100kms/hr and passed other vehicles with cops behind me and my L plate on. Haven't been pulled over yet.

There needs to be 1 set of rules for all and I'm guessing the LTSA need to look at the worse case scenario i.e. someone who has never ridden a bike apart from a few hours before they go and sit their Basic Handling Skills test.

Blakamin
28th October 2004, 14:16
There needs to be 1 set of rules for all and I'm guessing the LTSA need to look at the worse case scenario i.e. someone who has never ridden a bike apart from a few hours before they go and sit their Basic Handling Skills test.
I think it sux that after riding for years, my oz licence expired and i had to start again, with people that hadnt been on a bike an hour before doing their BHS test... I just hope none of them die!

gamgee
28th October 2004, 16:11
ya, only difference with me is, I had been ridding a bike for what about a year and a half before I got my learners, and I have had my car licence for about 3 years, so I'm pretty confident on the road, and as you say, it's probably more dangerous driving at 70 on the open road than 100

toads
28th October 2004, 17:22
the whole licence thing bugs me immensely, Pete holds every class of licence except bus and taxi but only has his learners bike licence, he did have his bike licence years ago but stupidly let it lapse ( back in the days when ya had them tickets you put in your licence book), anyway, he is now got a huge wait till he can ride the cc bike of his choice legally. hopefully sometime within the next month he'll go sit his restricted and then after that we have a 12month wait till he can sit his full, just madness, me on the other hand have had my full licence for 24years, which doesn't mean I've been riding bikes for that long. The licence thing should be based on merit in cases where someone holds a car licence and several other licences for over 25years.

mini_me
28th October 2004, 19:51
the whole licence thing bugs me immensely, Pete holds every class of licence except bus and taxi but only has his learners bike licence, he did have his bike licence years ago but stupidly let it lapse ( back in the days when ya had them tickets you put in your licence book), anyway, he is now got a huge wait till he can ride the cc bike of his choice legally. hopefully sometime within the next month he'll go sit his restricted and then after that we have a 12month wait till he can sit his full, just madness, me on the other hand have had my full licence for 24years, which doesn't mean I've been riding bikes for that long. The licence thing should be based on merit in cases where someone holds a car licence and several other licences for over 25years.

I dont know how old Pete is but are you aware that if you are over 26 then you go straight from your learners to your full and only after 6 months (which can become 3 with a defensive driving course)
**I think...cant be fagged looking it up in the road code atm

Ms Piggy
28th October 2004, 20:19
ya, only difference with me is, I had been ridding a bike for what about a year and a half before I got my learners, and I have had my car licence for about 3 years, so I'm pretty confident on the road, and as you say, it's probably more dangerous driving at 70 on the open road than 100
Well Gamgee I've had my drivers license I was 16 (I'm now 30 mumble. mumble) and had my HT & Heavey Wheels and Rollers since I was in my 20's. I'm still learning stuff about the roads.

Stinger
28th October 2004, 22:27
I dont know how old Pete is but are you aware that if you are over 26 then you go straight from your learners to your full and only after 6 months (which can become 3 with a defensive driving course)

Or if you go the CBTA way then there is no waiting period (well, about 4 weeks, because that's how long it takes to process the paperwork etc). The only disadvantage is that it is quite expensive.

Artifice
28th October 2004, 23:38
what is this cbta that ye mentions arrrrrr.
I alllready have my full liscence but... i'd be up for some advanced training/survival course. have you got a linky to thier webspace propaganda?

カワサキキド
29th October 2004, 00:08
what is this cbta that ye mentions arrrrrr.
I alllready have my full liscence but... i'd be up for some advanced training/survival course. have you got a linky to thier webspace propaganda?

www.driveschool.co.nz

I got my Basic Handling skills there and have just done the learners to restricted Competency Based Training Assement Course with them, Mike used to race bikes and is a top guy, highly recomended.

I will do my restriced to full C.B.T.A. course with them in 9 months, already booked!

カワサキキド
29th October 2004, 00:12
In Japan you can ride up to a 400cc on you learners.
In England I think its only up to 125cc.

Bob
29th October 2004, 03:18
In Japan you can ride up to a 400cc on you learners.
In England I think its only up to 125cc.

Correct. 125cc maximum (14.5bhp) - AND ONLY HAVE TWO YEARS TO PASS YOUR FULL TEST! If you don't pass in that time, you lose your provisional licence and cannot reapply for 12 months.

On top of that... when you first get your provisional licence, you are not allowed on the road without a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) certificate - this is basic machine control and a supervised ride on the road to ensure you are confident.

Then, as I said, you have two years to pass both a theory (40 minutes to answer 20 questions on road signs, machine knowledge, road ettiquette and rules etc, plus a computer-generated observation skills test) and a practical test (which comprises of not less than 40 minutes observed ride, demonstration of a series of "Show me/tell me" skills about bike setup and demonstration of ability to do a u-turn, push bike, emergency stop etc).

When you do that, you are then restricted to 33bhp for two years, unless you pay out a whole bundle of money to take Direct Access, which has to be done on a machine of 47bhp (and you're not allowed out unsupervised).

One more thing... not sure about during the pre full licence years, but I am pretty sure that for the first year after passing your test, you are only allowed 50% of the usual penalty points (you guys call them 'demerits'?) before you lose your licence.

It always fascinates me when I hear you talking about "I've been on a restricted licence since birth so I thought it might be nice to get a full one"!

Boy oh boy, would you HATE what we have to go through!

SPORK
29th October 2004, 03:24
Isn't that just cruel and unusual punishment? Should someone call the Geneva Convention?

Honestly though, cars are far more capable of killing people, so why not the fagorty rules for them?

toads
29th October 2004, 08:43
Or if you go the CBTA way then there is no waiting period (well, about 4 weeks, because that's how long it takes to process the paperwork etc). The only disadvantage is that it is quite expensive.

well that's not what the land transport ppl tell me, he has to do the whole thing, although he can get the restricted period reduced to three months if he does an approved course, so we might look at that, still it does suck, and yes he is way over 26 lol

rodgerd
29th October 2004, 08:56

1/ No sympathy on the license lapse. UIOLI.

2/ Bikes are hugely different beasts from cars. Managing the brakes alone is an art.

3/ You are aware of the CBTA courses, right? Perhaps a little research would be in order before grizzling about "the system."

rodgerd
29th October 2004, 08:57

Wrong. It was that way when graduated licenses were first introduced, but it hasn't been that wy for years.

Stinger
29th October 2004, 11:33
well that's not what the land transport ppl tell me, he has to do the whole thing, although he can get the restricted period reduced to three months if he does an approved course, so we might look at that, still it does suck, and yes he is way over 26 lol

Don't talk to the ltsa they don't know squat. O.k, Like I said there is no waiting period between learners and restricted at all or between restricted and full. Provided you do the cbta Motobunny got her learners then two months later did the restricted, and one month is booked for the full.

http://www.passrite.co.nz/cyclesintermediate.htm

at the bottom of the page

"Over 25's
If the applicant is over 25 years of age then the applicant has no time restriction between licence stages. The applicant may also apply for an exemption to use a bike larger than 250cc."

You do need a clean driving record though.

rodgerd
29th October 2004, 12:12
Don't talk to the ltsa they don't know squat.

It's worse than that. I'm told by people involved in the CBTA that various groups in the AA and LTSA were so opposed to the trials they refused to tell people about it, threw out the publicity materials, and flat out denied it existed. Twats.

You do need a clean driving record though.

For varying values of clean. I had a speeding ticket and did it. Mind you, the ticket was 12 years ago at that point 8).

Warren
29th October 2004, 12:28
Since the restrictions for the learners and restricted licenses the same. I think it would be better if they removed the restricted licence (learners -> then full) and made the full test harder/longer.

カワサキキド
29th October 2004, 12:35
The CBTA Motorcyle Trial looks at your infringement history and keeps an I on you to see if the courses actually reduce your number of infringements.

So you if you have a bad history in theory it shouldn't matter,you just have to not recieve any serious infringements between the time you apply and do the course, and a time after as they may revoke your licence.

Mike, whom I did the course with, told us that one of his students got his full licence even though he got a speeding ticket during the 9 month waiting period from restricted to full. He was lucky he guesses.

Stinger
29th October 2004, 12:41
The CBTA Motorcyle Trial looks at your infringement history and keeps an I on you to see if the courses actually reduce your number of infringements.

So you if you have a bad history in theory it shouldn't matter,you just have to not recieve any serious infringements between the time you apply and do the course, and a time after as they may revoke your licence.

I was told about someone being rejected for the course because of speeding tickets, so they had to plead to be let into the course. They got a ticket prior to doing the course, were accepted to do the course. But were declined to automatically receive the actual licence.

Stinger
29th October 2004, 12:47
It's worse than that. I'm told by people involved in the CBTA that various groups in the AA and LTSA were so opposed to the trials they refused to tell people about it, threw out the publicity materials, and flat out denied it existed. Twats.

I guess that it pretty well makes those guys redundant if the cbta becomes the norm. About time too ! about 8 years ago I went for my restricted licence. The guy was an ex traffic cop, he took me down a really really narrow caldersack and wanted me to do two figure 8's in it. I couldn't do it without touching the kerb or putting my foot down, so I failed. I took my bike back there later and tried to "walk" my bike in figure 8's but I couldn't do. I had the same bike that I have now, a TZR. The steering lock just wasn't good enough, but the guy just wouldn't listen to it, he reckoned he could have done it on his old patrol bike so why couldn't I do it on my bike... maybe if I threw down some diesel and slid the bike round it would have been possible... :wacko:

Blakamin
29th October 2004, 12:54
The guy was an ex traffic cop, he took me down a really really narrow caldersack and wanted me to do two figure 8's in it. I couldn't do it without touching the kerb or putting my foot down, so I failed. I took my bike back there later and tried to "walk" my bike in figure 8's but I couldn't do. I had the same bike that I have now, a TZR. The steering lock just wasn't good enough, but the guy just wouldn't listen to it, he reckoned he could have done it on his old patrol bike so why couldn't I do it on my bike... maybe if I threw down some diesel and slid the bike round it would have been possible... :wacko:
Love to see the idiot try and do it on a ducati!....
turning circle of a cage if you're goin g slow!

Ms Piggy
29th October 2004, 14:52
The guy was an ex traffic cop, he took me down a really really narrow caldersack and wanted me to do two figure 8's in it. I couldn't do it without touching the kerb or putting my foot down, so I failed. I took my bike back there later and tried to "walk" my bike in figure 8's but I couldn't do. I had the same bike that I have now, a TZR. The steering lock just wasn't good enough, but the guy just wouldn't listen to it, he reckoned he could have done it on his old patrol bike so why couldn't I do it on my bike... maybe if I threw down some diesel and slid the bike round it would have been possible... :wacko:
You should've complained.

Stinger
29th October 2004, 15:11
You should've complained.

Yup, you're right. But, at the time I guess I didn't know who to complain to. Anyway, I have my licence now so it's all good.

toads
29th October 2004, 17:00
1/ No sympathy on the license lapse. UIOLI.

2/ Bikes are hugely different beasts from cars. Managing the brakes alone is an art.

3/ You are aware of the CBTA courses, right? Perhaps a little research would be in order before grizzling about "the system."

1) wasn't wanting or expecting anyone's sympathy on this matter.

2) I think we are aware of the differences between bikes and cars, Pete has had years of experience riding bikes already!, certainly not a novice rider.

3)Of course I am aware of the CBTA courses, we live in Gisborne which makes such things very expensive and courses are unavailable until there are sufficient people are booked in to do the course, outwaying the benefits of doing such a course. As the course can take longer to wait for than the licence restriction would.

dveus
29th October 2004, 17:29
Since the restrictions for the learners and restricted licenses the same. I think it would be better if they removed the restricted licence (learners -> then full) and made the full test harder/longer.

But then it would be one less way for the LTSA to take our money

Zapf
29th October 2004, 18:04

Hit restricted in a couple of weeks and then will more than likely look into the CBTA compentency course for full licence.

No... its crap. (Auckland CBTA anyway) Its just a way to get your licenses. The BRONZ course gives u the best training.

rodgerd
30th October 2004, 08:01

They aren't. A learner is restricted to 70 km/h.

No fucking wonder so many people on this site bitch about getting tickets. Hald of us don't even fucking read the laws that apply to the license, it appears...

rodgerd
30th October 2004, 08:05
No... its crap. (Auckland CBTA anyway) Its just a way to get your licenses. The BRONZ course gives u the best training.

Different experience, obviously. The CBTA courses I did were bloody good (through Roadsafe in Wellington).

Stinger
30th October 2004, 09:11

I thought the Auckland CBTA thing was pretty good

Lee Rusty
30th October 2004, 11:03
your pissed off because you didnt get your restricted years ago .
IT aint anyones fault but yours.

The price of lazyness is that cost go up, tests get harder, more restrictions are imposed.

it is never going to be easier than now to get a licence - whatever class - this is the Government and LTSA we are talking about. price will continue to rise and tests will only ever get harder.

DOnt take 10 years to go from restricted to full.

Learn from your experiance this time

tl_tub
5th April 2005, 19:58
It is good that they place the restrictions on new bikers because of the increased risks (I think) to yourself if you make a mistake, but shouldn’t they place more emphasis on restricting new car drivers considering you can kill 4+ people in one go?
Most of the motorbike woopsies seem to be ones where you can pick up the bike and check if anyone was watching you make an ass of yourself.
I’ve only come off a few times at low or no speed, but felt like enough of an ass to try not to do it again :niceone:

Gremlin
6th April 2005, 01:14
On a little side note. Could somebody check the prices for the basic handling test on this page...

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/index.html#penalties

Now click on the link just above the costs and check the same handling test cost.

Are they different for anyone else :confused:

I'm guessing their right hand doesn't know what the left is doing... typical government dept. :killingme

crazylittleshit
6th April 2005, 03:30
these laws keep people alive It sucks but there is a difference between cars and bikes any dipshit can drive a car.
Not ever dipshit can ride. :shake:
Just imagine some one getting on a R1 as a learners bike. :lol:

gamgee
9th April 2005, 00:01
It is good that they place the restrictions on new bikers because of the increased risks (I think) to yourself if you make a mistake, but shouldn’t they place more emphasis on restricting new car drivers considering you can kill 4+ people in one go?
Most of the motorbike woopsies seem to be ones where you can pick up the bike and check if anyone was watching you make an ass of yourself.
I’ve only come off a few times at low or no speed, but felt like enough of an ass to try not to do it again :niceone:

haha that reminds me of the only time i've fallen off a motorbike, and i didn't even really fall off because i never got on, i was taking the sr250 out of the garage and left the stand down cause i had to park it while i shut the door again, now i neglected to calculate that the slight angle of the road our driveway opens onto+the angle i took my bike out on+the angle the kickstand would put it on+ plus the momentum created by me pushing the bike out would be enough to tip the damn thing over with such force that when i tried to stop it tipping, hanging on as best i could, fighting a losing battle, very quickly it tipped and i got thrown from one side of the bike to about 3 or 4 meters (after rolling) onto the other side of the bike, i got up pissing myself laughing but still, broke a brake lever!! now i sit on my bike with the stand up as i wheel it out of the garage