PDA

View Full Version : My new bike: CB919 Hornet.

HornetBoy
21st November 2007, 19:53
Yepee Brought a 2005 919cc hornet recently and boy is it awesome ,so much power so much acceleration :shutup: scared me when i first brought it every time i got off i had shaking forearms :shit:lol don't know why but i think i just knew what it was capable of and stuff.Now im comfortable with it ,its and absolute gem to ride and i cant help every time i catch a glance of it outside my window at work and stare at it and think im pretty lucky :first: ,am always wanting any excuse to ride it ,as people might have seen in the manawatu threads lol :Punk:
But it is true what they said in the "Bike Rider" Magazine saying " you can tell the guy who owns a hornet as he always has a huge grin on his face when he gets off, that you can almost see thought his helmet" :sunny:

Anyone else here got any advice for me as an owner of one? and things to watch out for with it ,characteristics etc and just general advice ?:innocent:

klyong82
21st November 2007, 20:01
Congrats on the new bike purchase. Great engines from the 96 CBR900 will last a long time if you take good care of it. How about a photo?

banditrider
21st November 2007, 20:04
Anyone else here got any advice for me as an owner of one? and things to watch out for with it ,characteristics etc and just general advice ?:innocent:

Watch out for a big fat Concours in your mirrors on Sunday! :niceone:

Glad you're enjoying your new ride - will have to have a good nosey at it.

Ronin
21st November 2007, 20:07
Stand by.... Mrs Kendog in 5....4.....3....2....1.....

HornetBoy
21st November 2007, 20:11
Congrats on the new bike purchase. Great engines from the 96 CBR900 will last a long time if you take good care of it. How about a photo?

woops sorry, heres a pic, will put more up tomorrow. :woohoo:

HAHA :laugh: yes am looking foward to this concours ,its got quite an array of fans .:msn-wink:

Pictre 1 is when i took it for our first ride ,second picture is at the dealership just yearning for me to sit on it

HornetBoy
21st November 2007, 20:13

lol ,i remember drooling over mr and mrs Kendog's hornets a while back when they were showing off their "blinging " skills

HenryDorsetCase
21st November 2007, 20:14
they really are a great bike. I still really like mine. Plus you can personalise it a bit. mine has an Ohlins rear shock and new fork springs which absolutely transformed the handling (which wasnt that bad to start with). Suspension and sticky tyres and you can give an averagely ridden sprotsbike a few things to think about (I'm told........ ;) )

have fun with it.

HornetBoy
21st November 2007, 20:18
they really are a great bike. I still really like mine. Plus you can personalise it a bit. mine has an Ohlins rear shock and new fork springs which absolutely transformed the handling (which wasnt that bad to start with). Suspension and sticky tyres and you can give an averagely ridden sprotsbike a few things to think about (I'm told........ ;) )

have fun with it.

thanks mate,i was lucky i got the 05 version with the adjustable forks ,as ive heard before 05 or 04 they just have them non-adjustable.ohlins where did you gt that mate? ive found that the michelin pilot sports are bloody brilliant to run on the hornet a ,have you had any good experiences with other brands ?

Drew
21st November 2007, 20:19
Well done man, great bikes. I'm grinning like an idiot every time I get off mine.

They do fantastic wheelies too!!!

HornetBoy
21st November 2007, 20:21
Well done man, great bikes. I'm grinning like an idiot every time I get off mine.

They do fantastic wheelies too!!!

yea they do that well dont they ,even if its not intended :shifty: ,the salesman showed me a couple stoppies and wheelies ,althought its a bit to risky for me as im scared of crashing it :shutup: (naturally)

Kendog
21st November 2007, 21:00
She is watching TV, so you will have to put up with me instead :shifty:

lol ,i remember drooling over mr and mrs Kendog's hornets a while back when they were showing off their "blinging " skills
Loved the Hornet. If you haven't seen it check out this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32223) thread, plenty of info.

Hitcher
21st November 2007, 21:27
Congratulations on your new ride. A good choice for a "step" bike. Now you will learn the lesson of using your bike name for your KB handle...

TerminalAddict
21st November 2007, 21:50
things I have done that I recommend

1. lower bars (renthals) .. good for speed (on a closed road, or the back straight of pukekohe of course)
2. some protection from the wind .. I've had a honda screen on before I errr "scratched" it <_< now I have a givi .. ugly as hell but good for wind protection up to 240kph (on a closed road or the back straight of pukekohe of course) .. and makes long trips more comfortable
3. remove baffles from the exhaust and let the 919 say what it has to say

manwithav8
21st November 2007, 21:54

here fatty fatty fatty fatty, here fatty.... hahahahah lol....We all want the concours in front so we can save fuel.. haha lol

kiwifruit
21st November 2007, 22:02
Congrats! Enjoy your new found power :sunny:

marioc
22nd November 2007, 07:25
Very jealous,another 9 months of 250 still to go...argh

timorang
22nd November 2007, 07:50
My 900 Hornet is the best bike I have owned (and still own) despite having had several others at the same time. I have had it longer than any other bike. Just such a bloody capable machine and so easy to ride. Always looking for a replacement but nothing appeals - however the 2008 CB1000R will definately get serious consideration when/if they arrive here. On mine I have a Givi screen (as stated in an earlier post - ugly but very effective), a belly pan (looks good), ventura pack rack, exhausts by Custom Chambers (excellent), K & N air filters, bar ends, tank protector. The one thing you MUST do is ditch the OEM mufflers. Enjoy.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd November 2007, 08:34
thanks mate,i was lucky i got the 05 version with the adjustable forks ,as ive heard before 05 or 04 they just have them non-adjustable.ohlins where did you gt that mate? ive found that the michelin pilot sports are bloody brilliant to run on the hornet a ,have you had any good experiences with other brands ?

Mine is running Pirelli Supercorsa Pro's (http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/hypersport/none&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=3538&uri=/pirellityre/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_SUPERCORSA_PRO_HIP.xml) which are brilliant. Not super long lasting mind you (rear has done a couple of trackdays and about 3000 road km and is starting to square off in the middle. I'll just have to do another trackday....

HenryDorsetCase
22nd November 2007, 08:35
Oh, and the shock (which, dollar for dollar is a much better performance upgrade than anything else mentioned here....) came from Robert Taylor at Norwest Motorcycles (via my LBS, but I bought another from him direct).

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 09:20
Congrats. Loved my Hornet, as mentioned put lower bars on it... do it now. Also promise that you will remove the baffles. The procedure is called a 'bafflectomy' and sounds as good as any commercial pipe that I've heard on a Hornet yet (better actually), and its practically free.

Road Attacks were very good on my Hornet, and I would get about 10,000kms out of the front and back. Umm... by some cheap-as Buell indicators ($30 pr I think) and replace the stock ones, although you'll have to do something about the fast-flashing problem.

Enjoy, they're awesome bikes dude.

Trudes
22nd November 2007, 09:28

You still counting smart-arse???? lol

Hi Hornet919boy (sorry thought I'd take the liberty)
Enjoy your Hornet, they are great bikes to learn new skills on, very forgiving and fun to ride without the pains on the wrists, arse etc. Have fun and ride safe out there!

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 09:33
thanks all,have been looking at the renthals ,but baffelectomy (spelling is bad) how /were is the instructions for this as im tempted to give it a try if its safe and fool proof .

If anyone is passing through wanganui or manawatu area /and is keen on riding anywhere give me a pm id be happy to join in.

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 09:40
It involves a hole-saw (or two) and a bit of courage. It will be ok :yes:

http://www.project919.com/members/howto/Honda%20919%20Bafflectomy.htm

All I can say is that i think I did it with one hole-saw (the large one) and its important to lean on it hard and be aggressive, otherwise the metal will harden up when it gets hot.

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 09:44
It involves a hole-saw (or two) and a bit of courage. It will be ok :yes:

http://www.project919.com/members/howto/Honda%20919%20Bafflectomy.htm

All I can say is that i think I did it with one hole-saw (the large one) and its important to lean on it hard and be aggressive, otherwise the metal will harden up when it gets hot.

thanks mate wil give it a go ,also looking at Kendogs hornets i say something called the "fapper mod" do you know where i can find a good insturction ?

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 09:47
Have a look at the above site (www.project919.com). Use google bro ;) ...I never bothered with the flapper mod. Never saw a need to.

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 09:49
yea sorry,i went to their but i cant seem to find where this "flapper " is ,will have a look later again

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 09:55
Ah...try http://www.919.org/ (mods)...

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 09:56
haha yea na i found the actual mod instruction itself but cant seem to find the flapper on the bike lol:stupid: i think i might have to hound someonoe on the forgottern highway ride

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 09:59
Ah...try http://www.919.org/ (mods)...

ah i see i think ive found it ,now i see that its inside the airbox?? am i right :sweatdrop

vifferman
22nd November 2007, 10:28
ah i see i think ive found it ,now i see that its inside the airbox?? am i right :sweatdrop
Yes.
It's a common mod for many Hondas (like the VFR800). I tried it, and apart from making more noise, I think it made the bike worse, so I reconnected it.

Monamie
22nd November 2007, 10:54
That is a nice bike. I have my eye on one once am am `allowed' a bigger bike.....my CBF250 is a great bike but I just dream of a Hornet!!!:drool:
Mo

Sanx
22nd November 2007, 11:17
I did the basic flapper mod to mine - just disconnected the vacuum solonoid that operates the flapper. It massively increases induction noise at low revs, but actually makes the bike more hesitant. So I reconnected it.

Basically, you're affecting the amount of air going into the engine, so unless you have a power commander or something similar and will be having the bike tuned after doing it, don't bother. You're upsetting the fuelling (making it run very lean) over a certain rev range and that's never good for an engine.

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 11:30
I did the basic flapper mod to mine - just disconnected the vacuum solonoid that operates the flapper. It massively increases induction noise at low revs, but actually makes the bike more hesitant. So I reconnected it.

Basically, you're affecting the amount of air going into the engine, so unless you have a power commander or something similar and will be having the bike tuned after doing it, don't bother. You're upsetting the fuelling (making it run very lean) over a certain rev range and that's never good for an engine.

O :gob: yea now i understand what it actually does ,and i think i might leave it till my power commander comes in the post,thanks for the explaination

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 11:33
Yes.
It's a common mod for many Hondas (like the VFR800). I tried it, and apart from making more noise, I think it made the bike worse, so I reconnected it.

yea ok thanks.. i was considering buying the vfr800 vtec version but alas i did not have enough money for that,might just leave the flapper mod it has mixed responses but most seem like it is a bad idea

Trudes
22nd November 2007, 11:36

I noticed that, but I put it down to the new exhausts. I have a power commander that is sitting on our garage work bench waiting for me to get A into G and take it to get it put in and dynoed. Will hopefully get rid of the jerky jerkys at low speeds.

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 11:40
and by the way have got myself a Rizoma Radiator Cover coming in the mail so hope it looks as good as the picture:rolleyes:

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 11:40
I noticed that, but I put it down to the new exhausts.
Hmm...Nigel told me about your flapper mod Trudi, but I thought it was supposed to restrict the amount of air coming out! ;)

Trudes
22nd November 2007, 11:42
Hmm...Nigel told me about your flapper mod Trudi, but I thought it was supposed to restrict the amount of air coming out! ;)

It's flapper not Slapper cheeky!:bash:

pritch
22nd November 2007, 11:46
thanks mate,i was lucky i got the 05 version with the adjustable forks ,as ive heard before 05 or 04 they just have them non-adjustable.

I had an '04 and loved it including the adjustable forks...

Used to use BT020 Bridgestones but didn't like them in the wet. Changed to a Z6 rear, originally in combination with an M3 front, but later just ran a pair of Z6s. Still do.

I upgraded the horn on mine because the OE thing was useless. I bought a pair of electric FIAMMs from the States.

Boy have I got a deal for you... I still have a pair of CRG levers for sale :whistle:
http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/index.html

HornetBoy
22nd November 2007, 11:49
I had an '04 and loved it including the adjustable forks...

Used to use BT020 Bridgestones but didn't like them in the wet. Changed to a Z6 rear, originally in combination with an M3 front, but later just ran a pair of Z6s. Still do.

I upgraded the horn on mine because the OE thing was useless. I bought a pair of electric FIAMMs from the States.

Boy have I got a deal for you... I still have a pair of CRG levers for sale :whistle:
http://www.constructorsrg.com/levers/index.html

ok,im likeing the levers mate -althought what deal on price could u do for me ...?:buggerd:

skelstar
22nd November 2007, 11:51
I still have a pair of CRG levers for sale :whistle:
They won't fit my RSV huh? How much?

gijoe1313
22nd November 2007, 15:56
Ahh the joys of the little ol'hornets bigger brother, on ya, and I can't wait till I'm riding one of them next year! :niceone:

banditrider
22nd November 2007, 16:41
Apologies for being so :Offtopic:

Congratulations on your new ride. A good choice for a "step" bike. Now you will learn the lesson of using your bike name for your KB handle...

I have a similar problem...:whocares:

here fatty fatty fatty fatty, here fatty.... hahahahah lol....We all want the concours in front so we can save fuel.. haha lol

You'll have 2 to pick from - be careful what you say...:argh:

timorang
23rd November 2007, 13:00
Skelster reminded me - I also ditched the silly standard indicators and replaced them with cheap micro indicators that are universal fitment from any aftermarket supplier. I did not have any problems with a speedy flasher unit as described by Skelster with the Buell items..

skelstar
23rd November 2007, 13:10
Its funny, the stockers are 22W bulbs I think, the Buell ones 10W... explains the flashing prob. Although it flashes ok for about 5-10secs until it goes mental... long enough to pass a warrant eh ;)