PDA

View Full Version : small bit of glass embedded in tyre is it ok?

rphenix
21st November 2007, 20:33
Hey Guys,

The wife got a small bit of glass sorta the width of a ball point pen so not that big in the rear tyre tread I dug it out seems ok, just wondering if I should replace the tyre? Ive done the water test no air leaking so I'm tempted to leave it but thought it might pay to check.

I'm used to plenty of gouges in knoblies etc.. but obviously on a road bike it matters more and I've never had much more than a few pebbles stuck on my old RG or GV250.

homer
21st November 2007, 20:57
if its not very big and not in very deep and no leaks it should be fine
if it was like 3mm in to the tyre and like a cut about 10 mm long then maybe thats a problem
if its a little chip aboput 3mm by 3mm i would think it should be a problem
BUT since you have made a point of posting a thread then maybe its bigger than im guessing

RantyDave
21st November 2007, 21:15
You'll be fine. I got some big arse chunk of metal stuck in my rear ... tyre ... at a track day once and the tyre was fine all the way up to replacement time.

Dave

rphenix
22nd November 2007, 13:58
if its not very big and not in very deep and no leaks it should be fine
if it was like 3mm in to the tire and like a cut about 10 mm long then maybe thats a problem
if its a little chip about 3mm by 3mm i would think it should be a problem
BUT since you have made a point of posting a thread then maybe its bigger than im guessing

It wouldn't be 10mm but maybe 5mm square? I'm thinking its ok took it for a blat today seemed alright the tires aren't old so theres a lot of tread on them at least. Luckily its the rear so even if it does decide to be a problem shouldn't be too dramatic!

vifferman
22nd November 2007, 14:37
I've had all sorts of things embedded in the tyre (always the back one), including glass about the size you mentioned, nails, a fencing staple, screws, bits of metal, etc. Most of them I've just dug out, but the last one I left in, because it was quite deep and the previous object I'd dug out was attached the air inside, which came out with it. :buggerd:

So, it's always a bit of a judgement call, but I figure unless you're miles from home, it's better to know if the tyre's going to deflate if you remove the object, than deflate at some inconvenient moment.

The weirdest thing I've heard of embedded in a bike tyre (coincidentally a 1990 VFR750 like I used to own) was a pair of scissors.