PDA

View Full Version : Bloody tyres

homer
21st November 2007, 21:10
couple of points

I used to pay $180 for a good rear tyre ,Yes this was about 10 years ago but still
Today about $350 rear tyre yes thats cool
new compounds new technology
But at the end of the day how long they last is up to you isnt it.
I just put a new metzler on the rear and will run the michelin pilot road on the front till its stuffed
Why is this !
well every time you ask about tyres everyones different arnt they .
every shop will tell you the brand they stock will be better than every other tyre ,and also as ive been told couple of times recently "well these tyres are basicly the same as such a brand "
The point is if this is true then you should be able to run any rear tyre with any front tyre and vise versa
Am i right or am i right
so its all up to you the rider .
It would then make more sence to me to run a softer tyre on the front and harder on the back as this would give more grip on the front and the what youd expect from the rear .
:argue:

Tonka
21st November 2007, 21:35
Yep..your not wrong there Homer. Unfortunately the price tag on a set of new feet is freggin horrendous but there are some good deals floating around out there and this site and other bike forums, users will share the "love"....we just have to be vigilant or ask. Like you said it is up to us and how we ride our "toys" that will determine the lifespan of our tread. For me tires is about history and what has worked best for my style of riding and I have pretty much stuck with one particular brand (Pirelli Strada) but I am wanting to try the Michellin PP or the Conti Attacks on my next change.

Have fun out there H.
Ride on

homer
22nd November 2007, 16:51
hope you find the tyres all good

:niceone:

Toast
23rd November 2007, 14:50
The point is if this is true then you should be able to run any rear tyre with any front tyre and vise versa
Am i right or am i right

Not strictly correct.

Profiles of front and rear tyres need to be vaguely compatible. You wouldn't run a steep slick or race-inspired DOT tyre that can handle 60 degrees of lean angle at the rear and have a flat touring tyre on the front that can only handle 30 degrees of lean...'cos it would feel weird, and you'd likely wind up on your arse.

Having said that, most tyres in the same market segment have similar enough profiles, and should work together, especially if you're just using them for the road.

vifferman
23rd November 2007, 16:18
so its all up to you the rider .
It would then make more sence to me to run a softer tyre on the front and harder on the back as this would give more grip on the front and the what youd expect from the rear .
Yeah, you can do that - I've done it five times now:
VF500 with firstly a ME33 front and IRC rear, then an Avon Rear and Dunslop front, then the same Avon and another ME33 front
VFR750 with a BT012F and BT020R
VTR1000 with Pirelli Corsa front and Dragon rear
VTR1000 with Avon AV49SP front, AV56ST rear
VFR800 with the same Avons.
Works OK, but with the last combo, I did too much communtering, and communtered the front tyre, so the latest set is ST tyres both ends.

homer
23rd November 2007, 17:26
Not strictly correct.

Profiles of front and rear tyres need to be vaguely compatible. You wouldn't run a steep slick or race-inspired DOT tyre that can handle 60 degrees of lean angle at the rear and have a flat touring tyre on the front that can only handle 30 degrees of lean...'cos it would feel weird, and you'd likely wind up on your arse.

Having said that, most tyres in the same market segment have similar enough profiles, and should work together, especially if you're just using them for the road.

oops yes i do see your point there ...sorry i was just comparing the arguement based on the fact that the tyres are so call "as good as each other" but the actual brands are different .
I wasnt meaning a comparison between tyres for different purposes
as an example a (pirelli diablo strata and say a bt 021 )