PDA

View Full Version : '99/'00 SV650S Engine cutting out

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 07:11
I have a '99/'00 SV650S which is cutting out when I blip the throttle, e.g. when changing down, or taking off from stopping. When I get it re-started sometimes it seems like it's idling really low. When I put the choke on full it sounds like it's going to die (and sometimes does) before the revs kick in and it starts idling normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Please excuse my ignorance and advise if I haven't given enough info. The doubt over the year is conflicting numbers from chassis and papers.

GSVR
22nd November 2007, 07:26
Hi heres my questions:

Is this something that has gradually got worse or did it start happening all of a suddden?

Do you know when it was last serviced (Air filter etc) and what is the mileage?

Have you adjusted the idle on the knob on the left of the bike?

Also does this happen more when the engines cold or hot?

Theres a few things that can go wrong with the older SVs but without pysically looking at the bike its not easy.

Blue Velvet
22nd November 2007, 07:42
Hi heres my questions:

Is this something that has gradually got worse or did it start happening all of a suddden?

Do you know when it was last serviced (Air filter etc) and what is the mileage?

Have you adjusted the idle on the knob on the left of the bike?

Theres a few things that can go wrong with the older SVs but without pysically looking at the bike its not easy.

Hi, thanks for responding.

Mileage is 54,000k. 12,000k of it done in since August.

Last serviced Aug/Sept (unsure exactly as paperwork is at home) and subsequent oil changes completed every 3500k.

The problem has been around for a bit and has gotten progressively worse.

In winter I had a carb heater kit fitted which mostly fixed a carb icing fault, though in colder weather it was still icing. However, now the weather is warmer but the problem is very similar - engine cuts out when revving, e.g. after a stint at a constant speed (long or short stint).

This morning I was riding in a 50k zone in third gear, went to change to second to turn at an intersection and on blipping the throttle the engine cut out. When the bike was icing during the colder months of August/Sept similar would happen - e.g. riding along motorway at a constant speed, queue of traffic ahead so go to change down and engine dies when throttle is blipped.

The bike was thoroughly checked before the carb heater kit was fitted. But over the past couple of months this fault has definitely gotten worse.

Cheers.

GSVR
22nd November 2007, 07:55
Probably easiest to get your bike shop to look at it. They can balance the carbs and make sure everything is in order.

Check things like the smooth and correct operation of the choke assembly as one of the plungers could be sticking causing a cylinder to to be rich at idle when hot.

Front plug on these bikes is hard to get at but if the bikes high mileage and it hasn't had new plugs yet it would be good. If they are left in for to long they can damage the head getting them out.

If the idle is low turn it up a bit. Choke is only to get the engine started and warmed up.

Sounds like you are down south. My SV had carb heaters on as standard.

Hope you get it sorted.